The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #421
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Usagi should be collected as it's part of the main canon. Only reason it might not be is if there's some contract rule with Dark Horse that another company can't collect an Usagi comic, but who knows.
Where and how does it affect anything in the main IDW storyline?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #422
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Where and how does it affect anything in the main IDW storyline?
What do you mean by affect anything? It's self-contained. It's part of the main series as confirmed by IDW and Stan Sakai. Usagi might also crossover with them again later on.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #423
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yes, it is canon, but it hasn't been referenced in the ongoing at all and it really had no bearing on the story. The Infestation two-parter was canon as well and it wasn't included in the hardcovers either, so there's precedent for canonical issues not being included.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #424
CyberCubed
Overlord

I recall IDW saying they wanted to bury that 2-parter though, Tristan wrote about it awhile ago.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #425
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I don't see why, unless IDW as a whole is trying to move away from company-wide event series after DC and Marvel made people sick of them.

The story is pretty decent and the art in those issues is criminally underappreciated.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #426
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I recall IDW saying they wanted to bury that 2-parter though, Tristan wrote about it awhile ago.
this does make me sad.

i did enjoy that 2 parter. would have loved it more had it'd been a 3 parter.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #427
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, here's where he said it if you missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon wanted it swept under the rug. We butted heads. It wasn't as fun an experience as I'd hoped it would be. The second issue had a lot of 11th hour rewrites and was changed into something pretty different from what was originally intended because mid way through my working on it there was a change in the management at Nick. What I originally wrote had a lot more ambiguity to it. It was as Lovecraftian as I could make it, but the new powers at Nick didn't like it, and at this point the OLD powers-that-be had signed off on it. We basically had to rewrite the second half to completely change the story at the last minute because Nickelodeon suddenly had a direction they were taking the brand in. I get it, and from what I understand a lot of those teething problems from the early days are long, long gone, I just wish things were a little different then. It didn't help that I was juggling art on Ghostbusters and hadn't written in years, so I was lagging and some of the problems we had to work around basically made me lock up because I couldn't think of a decent way around it, but that first issue is one of my favourite things I've worked on.

Funnily enough, I wrote it as a Mirage story. The first draft actually opened like an issue of Tales with the whole "Let me tell you a story..." thing. There was actually art that had all four Turtles with their red masks, too. That was changed when it was decided they'd change in the comics, but I think this story ended up coming out just before the change happened in the main story. I do remember taking a small amount of heat for it online too.

Thanks for the kind words on it, too!

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...2&postcount=72

Shame because I liked that 2-parter as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #428
funatic
Mad Scientist

I wonder if Tristan would be willing to come back to write any new minis if asked today. It sounds like he was having trouble with a changing-of-the-guard, per say, and that was back before IDW's TMNT was the powerhouse title it is now. This last year alone is indicative of that the creators have a lot more freedom in telling their TMNTales. Bobby if you're lurking I'd love to see Tristan back (maybe a one-off for TMNT Universe down the line?)!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #429
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
This last year alone is indicative of that the creators have a lot more freedom in telling their TMNTales.
Interesting. I've only read a couple issues of IDW TMNT over the last year, but the implied freedom definitely has me intrigued. Does anyone else feel the same way, regarding an increase in freedom for the creative team?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #430
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Interesting. I've only read a couple issues of IDW TMNT over the last year, but the implied freedom definitely has me intrigued. Does anyone else feel the same way, regarding an increase in freedom for the creative team?
Particularly in regard to the multiple mini-series and the Universe title where they've been bringing in various creative teams... and by "year" I mean a kind of loose timeframe spanning back to Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything which really broke the typical mold in summer 2016.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #431
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Well, after sitting at half way through Volume 2 of the IDW Collection for ages, I finally sat down and read all the way through Volume 5. Man, that was a fun little marathon. Quite the little emotional cliffhanger to end on as well (can't wait for Volume 6).
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #432
myconius
Abby Normal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection Volume 7

Pre-Order available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 11-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #433
AquaParade
Banned

Has there been any precedent for IDW releasing collections of individual storylines?

Can’t bring myself to buy all of these beautiful ongoing hardcovers. I’d live to own something like “City Fall” or “City at War” in their own respective hardcovers.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #434
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Has there been any precedent for IDW releasing collections of individual storylines?

Can’t bring myself to buy all of these beautiful ongoing hardcovers. I’d live to own something like “City Fall” or “City at War” in their own respective hardcovers.
not specific release of just the individual storylines you mentioned.

your best bet would be to get these volumes-

'City Fall'

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutan.../dp/1631406914

'City at War'

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613774966/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613775539/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

any extra issues included in the volumes are actually very important to said storylines.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #435
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
not specific release of just the individual storylines you mentioned.

your best bet would be to get these volumes-

'City Fall'

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutan.../dp/1631406914

'City at War'

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613774966/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613775539/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

any extra issues included in the volumes are actually very important to said storylines.
Appreciate it.

Call me crazy, but it sort of bugs me to have too many randomly numbered volumes on my shelf. I shouldn't let it bug me, but it does.

I find myself very curious about the future of IDW TMNT hardcovers though. At this point, they've printed a lot of the old and new material. I hope they continue to give us new types of collections.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #436
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Appreciate it.

Call me crazy, but it sort of bugs me to have too many randomly numbered volumes on my shelf. I shouldn't let it bug me, but it does.

I find myself very curious about the future of IDW TMNT hardcovers though. At this point, they've printed a lot of the old and new material. I hope they continue to give us new types of collections.
you're welcome.

i agree, i'm the same way. though i've been trying not to be as fussy with the feng shui of my collection.

though the IDW collection 3 is nice cuz it fuses in the micro-series which really did make a more rich reading experience rather than just reading the ongoing.

if you don't mind floppies TMNT color classics vol. 3 which ran from issue 1-15 was a reprint of Mirage vol.1 issues #48-62.
stared with the shades of gray 2-parter and then all of City at War.
the only thing is while i didn't hate the colors, i didn't exactly love them either.
these were the exact same color jobs used for the 'TMNT: The Works' hardcovers.

Tags
tmnt