The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #41
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Entirely random, but the official Mirage Turtle site has been changed. Blog links on the left hand side are gone, as is the "Buy Stuff" link.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not having bought the posters through Mirage that I'd wanted when I went and bought a mass of comics through them.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT4kids, who now owns the 2k3 series?

Do you think Nick will at least try to release the rest of the series on DVD?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #43
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but here's what I had to say at a different board (not a TMNT board, hence the explanation of stuff you guys already know):

A couple things:

ONE: A possible wider distribution of the TMNT comics depending on how much control Nick has over them. You see, Mirage does not sell its comics in book stores or most major online retailers. Because they're such a small company, they can't handle the sendbacks they'd receive of unsold units. And since that's a mandatory part of doing business with stores like Borders and Barnes & Nobel, Mirage has for years opted not to bother with any of them and just make their books available through comic shops and their own online store.

This has SEVERELY limited their distribution. Did you wonder why Borders wasn't flooded with trade paperback collections of the original Mirage comics when the Imagi movie came out? Or why none of the collections of any of their recent books have made it to major retailers? Well, now you know.

So, if Nick's financial support can aid the distribution of the comics, then we might start seeing them in major retailers, which would be a GOOD thing.

TWO: As with the Disney purchase of Marvel, there's no cause yet to start freaking out that Nick's going to step in and butcher the franchise. If anything, they may enforce deeper pooling of various TMNT characters from outside the Laird/Eastman canon Mirage stories. I'd rather like to see more of those characters, like the Mutanimals, Slash and all the rest and even adaptations of Archie storylines in other mediums. If Laird can no longer act as a brick wall forbidding the use of those characters, I find that to be good news.

THREE: If there's one tragedy in this, I suppose, it's that Mirage's legacy as being one of the most successful indy comics publishers is over. I dunno if Nick now owns Mirage (they probably don't), but they now own their biggest and currently only marketed property, so they might as well. I guess it was time, anyway. Their small business status was killing the brand's availability and the stubborness of some of the old timers was really impeding progress. Still, it IS the end of an era.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Ren and Stimpy were pretty close to an adult cartoon... Powdered Toast man would fart out cinnamon goodness.. The grossness of that show made it great for mature audiences... Plus remember this is an MTV company and MTV put out The Maxx and Aeon Flux... So you never know what they got up their sleeves... The more I think about this I think this is a perfect place for TMNT...

The only disappointing thing is about the comics... I wonder what the future holds for the medium since everything else seems to have a future... Toys, Movies, cartoons, etc...

-mm
Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #45
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

It's not a rumor -- they now own the TMNT. -- PL

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #46
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Buh wha?!

Ook Um.... does this mean that TMNT will be airing on Nicktoons now??? Cuz I don't have that channel.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
Buffy
Mad Scientist

I have no idea how to react to this news. There are pro's and con's. I just hope some form of comic will still be released in the future, it's the one thing of TMNT I collect the most.

Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #48
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT4kids View Post
Sorry my mistake on the Topic heading (if a mod wants to change it that would be great). The title should simply be "Nickelodeon Aquires TMNT".

They bought the entire property from Mirage/4Kids.
Wait, does THIS mean that Peter no longer owns his OWN created characters?! What's going to happen to the comic, OR stuff on the 4kids website (like the stamps; etc.)?!

Oh the ONE hand, I'm glad that Nick is FINALLY optioning a GOOD Toon (in contast to the absolute CRAP that they GENERALLY show!), but on the OTHER hand, I'm a bitscared that they MIGHT mess it all up!

Also, will they ALSO be showing the 2K3 series, or not? I would LOVE to se them do this, as THEY might ACTUALLY have the guts to show "Isane in the Membrane", where 4Kids/FOX did not.

And what about the DVDs? Will they option THEM, and distribute them, like they do OTHER Nick shows? I hope so.

Ohhh, this is MAJOR news. I hope a LOT of good comes OUT of it.

*crosses fingers, toes, legs, and eyes that everything woks out for the good*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TMNT4kids, who now owns the 2k3 series?
As I noted in MY post, I'M VERY curious about THAT, myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Do you think Nick will at least try to release the rest of the series on DVD?
Oh, Lordy, I sure HOPE so!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #49
raphdude
Thug

Thumbs up I'm not surprised at all!

To be honest, I am not surprised. To begin, a slight digression if you will. I've collected original TMNT art for years (since the late 80's) and met Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird on several occasions. Kevin was one who would draw free sketches of the turtles at comic conventions and would never turn a fan away, even if his hand was about to drop off, while Peter was cold and always wanted money up front. I always felt that Kevin "loved" his characters, in the same way that Walt Disney loved Mickey Mouse. I have never felt that way about Peter. Hence, I am not surprised that Peter has sold the TMNT outright to a large corporation. My gut feeling is that he has wanted this for a long time.

As far as I'm concerned, my favorite TMNT versions have always been the original toon from 1987-1996, and the original live action films (Sorry, I hated the 2007 film!) I am hopeful that we will see a toon with updated CGI technology that will being back Shredder, Krang, Rocksteady and Bebop along with all of their tongue in cheek humor. I am amazed with Nickelodeon's success with Spongebob, and know a lot of kids and adults who are hooked on him. I have no idea what the future may hold for the comics, probably not good, but as far as keeping the franchise alive with a hopefully continuous running new TV show and movies, I think the chances are better that the TMNT will be more in the public's eye with more product available instead of
always waiting for Peter's approval.

As far as I'm concerned, Peter, adieu, adios, au revoir, goo-bye!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #50
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

So it's the whole shebang then?!

So then... Happy 25th Annaversary TMNT... you've been bought out not by Disney but by Viacom!

Hmm...wonder if this means Paramount will be distributing the DVD's now....
Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
ONE: A possible wider distribution of the TMNT comics depending on how much control Nick has over them. You see, Mirage does not sell its comics in book stores or most major online retailers.
There was (maybe is, still) a deal with another publisher to take care of all of that, so that was a non-issue.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #52
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

From Steve Murphy:
I’ll help with “the transition” to Nick, wrap up any loose ends here at Mirage, move all of our archived product off-site, empty the front offices, then join the great unwashed. Everyone will be leaving here at some point during the next 2-5 months, by my reckoning, although the artists can maintain their personal office space in the “studio” side of the building (since Pete owns the building).

It’s surreal, dude… very, very surreal.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #53
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There was (maybe is, still) a deal with another publisher to take care of all of that, so that was a non-issue.
Um, since when was there such a deal?
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #54
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

I'm not happy AT ALL

I never liked Nickelodeon when I was younger, and I've just kept those feelings even though I can't remember why I never liked it

God ****ing damn, I'm not positive to this, but I still hope we'll get something good out of this

But still... God mother****ing damn...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #55
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
So it's the whole shebang then?!

So then... Happy 25th Annaversary TMNT... you've been bought out not by Disney but by Viacom!
Well, there IS that. I don't even wanna KNOW what DISNEY (which IS still one of my fave companys) would have done with it!

Just curious, though: is Viacom BETTER than Disney, in THIS respect? I mean, will they do right by our Turtles? (I hope.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Hmm...wonder if this means Paramount will be distributing the DVD's now....
IF Paramount is a GOOD distributor, then I hope so. Just have to wait ans SEE, though, I guess.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #56
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabunga Kiefer View Post
I just think Nick is running out of ideas. Some of their shows are just one failure after another. Hopefully they don't ruin the TMNT industry as well. At least they'll get more attention from the young audience...but I hope the plot lines make sense!
Nick touching a classic already ruined it. im not looking forward to it, itll be dumbed down for the 6 and 7 year olds to watch

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #57
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
From Steve Murphy:
I’ll help with “the transition” to Nick, wrap up any loose ends here at Mirage, move all of our archived product off-site, empty the front offices, then join the great unwashed. Everyone will be leaving here at some point during the next 2-5 months, by my reckoning, although the artists can maintain their personal office space in the “studio” side of the building (since Pete owns the building).

It’s surreal, dude… very, very surreal.
Ugh...reading this just makes me sick to my stomach.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #58
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Nick touching a classic already ruined it. im not looking forward to it, itll be dumbed down for the 6 and 7 year olds to watch
Yeah...you'd think that being a fan of the original comic that I'd be used to this sort of thing.

You'd think....
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #59
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Both shocking and not so shocking news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
ONE: A possible wider distribution of the TMNT comics depending on how much control Nick has over them. You see, Mirage does not sell its comics in book stores or most major online retailers. Because they're such a small company, they can't handle the sendbacks they'd receive of unsold units. And since that's a mandatory part of doing business with stores like Borders and Barnes & Nobel, Mirage has for years opted not to bother with any of them and just make their books available through comic shops and their own online store.

This has SEVERELY limited their distribution. Did you wonder why Borders wasn't flooded with trade paperback collections of the original Mirage comics when the Imagi movie came out? Or why none of the collections of any of their recent books have made it to major retailers? Well, now you know.

So, if Nick's financial support can aid the distribution of the comics, then we might start seeing them in major retailers, which would be a GOOD thing.

Nick's distribution power will probably be evident when it come to TMNT as a kids franchise, as opposed to promoting the old Mirage comics, and make no mistake about it, Nick acquired TMNT as a potential money making kids franchise, and Nick may be the best in the business in this area. Having a cartoon ready for the next movie already shows a certain ability to produce synergy with the TMNT brand not really shown by Mirage and the various current license holders.

In terms of growth TMNT was always going to be limited by Mirage lack of structure to handle a multi-million dollar franchise. As for mature TMNT comics, only if Nick licenses to TMNT to another comic book company, which may very well happen.

Quote:
TWO: As with the Disney purchase of Marvel, there's no cause yet to start freaking out that Nick's going to step in and butcher the franchise. If anything, they may enforce deeper pooling of various TMNT characters from outside the Laird/Eastman canon Mirage stories. I'd rather like to see more of those characters, like the Mutanimals, Slash and all the rest and even adaptations of Archie storylines in other mediums. If Laird can no longer act as a brick wall forbidding the use of those characters, I find that to be good news.

I believe it's a given we will see the return of characters such as Bebop, Rocksteady, Slash, and other characters proven to be popular with kids.

Quote:
THREE: If there's one tragedy in this, I suppose, it's that Mirage's legacy as being one of the most successful indy comics publishers is over. I dunno if Nick now owns Mirage (they probably don't), but they now own their biggest and currently only marketed property, so they might as well. I guess it was time, anyway. Their small business status was killing the brand's availability and the stubborness of some of the old timers was really impeding progress. Still, it IS the end of an era.
Mirage's Legacy and the impact they had of the comic book market in general will not disappear, Mirage themselves has hardly every been a true company,
just PL and a few of his friends, I do wonder what will happen to guys like Dan Berger, Steve Murphy, Lawson and Talbot, hopefully, they will get a cut of the buyout money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Fans of the comic book aren't that many, the sales of V.4 and tales account to that, not to mention comic books is a dying medium even the big two Marvel/DC don't sell that many comics.

And no this good news in the longevity of the franchise, theres no way Viacom is going to go down, and they didn't just buy the property to sit on it. Mirage could have easily gone bankrupt while not so much for Viacom. Also we didn't know when the series would get a new tv show or anything, now we're getting one in 2012.
Personally, I don't believe the comics were put in a position to succeed, and as for the longevity of the franchise, this is the downside of having the TMNT run by a big corporation, the TMNT are not the main priority of Nick/Viacom, it's their newest shiny toy, if the TMNT franchise doesn't perform up to their expectations, Nick/Viacom would have no problem mothballing them. At least with Mirage, you knew everything revolved around the turtles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Um, since when was there such a deal?
There was a deal in the works during the year, but according to Dan Berger, that deal fell through.

Last edited by Dragon Turtle; 10-21-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #60
Dinny
Stone Warrior

My main concern is that this could mean that TMNT is done forever in a few years. At least with Mirage if a new iteration of the turtles was released and it then flopped, there would still be some security. Mirage would never scrap TMNT just because it wasn't making enough money, but Nickelodeon has now reason to hang on to the franchise if their new series starts losing money...
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster