The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The 'Drome can't get enough of "I don't like kiddie TMNT" fans. The more the merrier, I say.

It's only fair to offset the influx of kids we know the new cartoon will be bringing in.

The League of Extraordinarily Grumpy Gentlemen shall ride again, brother, and we count your number among us a blessing.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

This is the most interesting introduction post I've ever seen around these parts. Looking forward to your participation in the forums

Welcome aboard
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just wish that point included more product for everyone, not just kids.
Reminded me I came across this article while the forum was offline.

Quote:
https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/teen...of-new-series/

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Relaunches With WWE, J. Crew and Amazon Ahead of New Series
Nickelodeon targets ‘a broader demographic than we ever have before’

In the run-up to its relaunch of the multibillion-dollar franchise, Nickelodeon has also aligned with Amazon, J. Crew, Sonic Drive-In and Walmart to “go down every aisle at retail and reach a broader demographic than we ever have before,” said Pam Kaufman, recently named president of Viacom/Nickelodeon global consumer products, whose division has made Turtles its first worldwide project.

While Nick skews primarily to 6 to 11-year-olds, network execs put together far-ranging partner programs to take advantage of Turtle nostalgia while trying to appeal to a new generation of children and their parents.

The colorful characters—known as “heroes in a half-shell”— are appearing on 2 million Amazon Prime boxes this month, and their retro images are gracing a fashion line for adults at J. Crew. A separate streetwear collection is in the works.
And they've only now considered a broader audience with the advent of 'Rise,' a series that was toted as being "younger." I don't know whether to laugh or cry. lol

Sad to say for those who aren't into the 'retro' images that of course seems to be what will grace the adult stuff as usual though. Would be nice if there was some new art, and if 'retro' did not only refer to the FW set, that would be nice.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #24
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekering View Post
You're absolutely correct. Were it not for the original cartoon (and the toys it spawned), TMNT would never have established enough market recognition to become a Nickelodeon property.
Obviously it did a lot of good for the franchise, and inspired generations of kids. Hardly anything to be "disgusted" about, which is why I don't see the point in coming on here declaring those aspects of the franchise turn people off, they clearly don't. Being a contrarian 30-something edgelord who decrees that there's only one way to do the TMNT justice is really not that big, mature or even clever. It demonstrates a deeply rooted ignorance and narrow worldview of the franchise's potential to grow beyond it's original tone and direction.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've never been able to put it to words, but you just did!

The same thing goes for the frothy dorks that haven't touched anything TMNT since they were eight and howl about Rocksteady smashing Don's shell in IDW "ruining their childhoods".

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 09-26-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Obviously it did a lot of good for the franchise, and inspired generations of kids. Hardly anything to be "disgusted" about, which is why I don't see the point in coming on here declaring those aspects of the franchise turn people off, they clearly don't. Being a contrarian 30-something edgelord who decrees that there's only one way to do the TMNT justice is really not that big, mature or even clever. It demonstrates a deeply rooted ignorance and narrow worldview of the franchise's potential to grow beyond it's original tone and direction.
It would be far more appropriate for you to say this to yourself in a mirror, considering you poo-poo just about everything that isn't the Fred Wolf cartoon & are a "contrarian 30-something edgelord who decrees that there's only one way to do the TMNT justice" yourself. This guy just came & stated his opinions on TMNT in an introductory statement, he did not present his views as fact or the "correct" view. Now pull up your bootstraps & stop vilifying the new guy, we haven't had one in ages, don't need to scare any off.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #27
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, he was referring to his opinions before actually giving a different version a shot and has become more open-minded. Even getting some of the toys he was previously reviled by. Which is a good thing to strive for.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

A bit odd to love the 2012 cartoon but despise fred wolf and the first film but welcome back buddy. Read some IDW, its awesome.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

I still love you, Zarius.

Stop watching "Smallville".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #30
Longview01
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think I love you
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #31
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekering View Post
However, by 1986, Transformers: The Movie had turned a children’s cartoon into something gritty and bad-ass
Got my tickets for tomorrow night's one night only event. Can't wait to see Transformers: The Movie back on the big screen again for the first time in over 30 years.

Quote:
Suffice it to say, I was appalled by TMNT ’87. The Turtles were cute, not cool. The humor was childish, the characters were shallow, the action was moronic, and Krang took the Utrom concept from the comics and shat all over it. I was disgusted. The merchandising, the toys, and the Jim Henson movies only made it worse, and I washed my hands of the whole franchise.
When the original TMNT cartoon went into five days a week syndication in 1989, I was eight years old. It didn't interest me in the very least. But the first movie in 1990 is what made me a TMNT fan. I'm surprised you didn't like it. It was only after seeing the first movie that I became a fan of the original cartoon.

Quote:
So, for the last thirty years, I’ve ignored TMNT entirely. I never saw The Next Mutation, the 4Kids TV cartoon, the 2007 CGI movie
Boy did you ever miss out. Not with The Next Mutation, I've still never been able to sit through the entire one season. But the 4Kids series and the 2007 CGI movie are among the top of what I love about the TMNT franchise.

Quote:
Still, I wasn’t prepared for the depth of characterization, the quality of the writing, the talents of the cast, or the spectacular action sequences. And the humor! This show has me laughing out loud every episode, something a TV series rarely ever manages to do. This show is so much fun to watch!
Are we talking about the same cartoon here? Because it sounds like you're talking about the 4Kids series, not the Nickelodeon series. I mean the Nick series had its moments, but it was nothing that I would praise.

Quote:
For those of you who enjoy it as much as I do, does anything else on American TV compare?
Well, as I said above, the 4Kids series does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview01 View Post
You like the dark moody turtles yet ignored 2k3?
That's got me confused as well.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #32
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What aspect is that?
Mikey likes to run his mouth and trash talk. Problem is even though that is a part of his character it is a very small part of him.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #33
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

If you liked Mirage, watch the 4 Kids series.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
If you liked Mirage, watch the 4 Kids series.
Yeah, if you're a big Mirage fan, it's definitely worth a look to form your own opinion on. For me, it's much worse to suffer through painfully little kid/toy-pandering adaptations of established Mirage storylines in 4Kids than just, like, a different TMNT show that doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Again, I don't think I've ever felt as angry watching a Turtle-anything (that might have changed if I'd bothered to see "Out of the Shadows") as I was when I watched the 4Kids "Return to New York."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
For me, it's much worse to suffer through painfully little kid/toy-pandering adaptations of established Mirage storylines in 4Kids than just, like, a different TMNT show that doesn't pretend to be something it's not.
So does that technically you mean that you'd rather watch Fred Wolf than 4Kids and like it better?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
So does that technically you mean that you'd rather watch Fred Wolf than 4Kids and like it better?
Probably. I don't want to watch any of that stuff, though.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #37
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Did you ever test the Archie TMNT Adventures comics? They began adopting episodes of the Fred Wolf cartoon before developing new stories, some of them dark for being a children's comic.

Maybe you will also like seasons 8-10 (1994–1996) of the Fred Wolf series? They saw the return of the action after years of censorship, self-censorship.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Did you ever test the Archie TMNT Adventures comics?
Of course. My first Turtle comic ever was like TMNTA #6. My "Odyssey" comic with Lawson even brought in several TMNTA characters. And the Turnstone.

Quote:
Maybe you will also like seasons 8-10 (1994–1996) of the Fred Wolf series? They saw the return of the action after years of censorship, self-censorship.
I think even Fred Wolf with "the return of the action" is still pretty far removed from any kind of TMNT I'm interested in watching.

I'd much rather invest that time in, like, catching up on "Vikings" episodes. Or independent films. Or old westerns I've never seen. Or pretty much anything.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #39
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

I think even Fred Wolf with "the return of the action" is still pretty far removed from any kind of TMNT I'm interested in watching.
Despite the sky being drawn red and the turtles being a darker shade of green. slightly less jokes and pizza, I never saw Red Sky as the 'super serious' cartoon they tried to mark it as. I remember that comic ad made it seem like it was going to compare with Batman TAS, but no, the damage was already done. The Turtles were still 'fighting' goofy cartoonish looking monsters and all Raph would ever do is toss his sais. Like, every. single. time.

Other than Shredder blowing up the Channel 6 building with little disregard if April and crew were still inside it, Red Sky was still hard to take seriously after 6 or so seasons of silliness and absurdity. It would be as if the Mirage guest artist era was three times as long and City at War started on issue 100. After so long it would have taken the fans time to realize 'oh ****, this is getting serious again. No more weird time traveling kids'.

Anyways, welcome new guy. You're def not the oldest one here. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:29 AM   #40
tekering
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
What TMNT has become disgusts me - and I don't mean "Rise" specifically, although I admittedly can't stand anything about it - but without watering down the basic concept for a kids' cartoon and toy line way back when, TMNT wouldn't have been more than a blip on the radar. The brand's success and longevity go hand-in-hand with keeping it aimed at children.
I'm glad I'm not the only one objecting to the infantilization of the brand... and one thing I really appreciate about the 2012 series is how mature the writing is, even deliberately subverting the usual morals kids' shows are expected to espouse. Of particular note is Splinter's objection to Leo's "fair fight" philosophy; he advises "seek victory, not fairness." The turtles actually celebrate winning by unfair means at the climax of the episode!

I've only just gotten through the North Hampton arc in season 3, but I'm astonished by all the old horror film references. Not only is the content totally inappropriate for children, but kids aren't even going to get the jokes. Obvious references to Jim Siedow from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Jason Vorhees from Friday the 13th, lots of John Carpenter nods (The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China in particular), as well as The Toxic Avenger, The Goonies, Aliens, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Evil Dead... and not just in quotes or visual cues, but even the deliberate casting choices. I mean, what kid is gonna recognize Jon Heder's Napoleon Dynamite routine as Napoleon Bonafrog?

Either Ciro Nieli and his staff were writing for a much older audience -- which may well have been the case, since original TMNT fans have kids of their own now -- or they just did whatever the hell they wanted. Either way, as a lifelong film geek, I can't get enough of the in-jokes.
tekering is offline   Reply With Quote