The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Any other Mac gamers here?

While I don't intend this to get into an overly heated argument over Macs vs PCs, I am growing strong concerns as a Mac user over my ability to use Apple's products. Their plans to drop 32-bit support despite how many programs (especially many modern games and Wine, and including Apple's own MIDI server required for music making) still depend on it aside, I just discovered this article on MacRumors expressing another problematic change that affects games and game development in particular.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/05...opencl-gaming/

Thoughts about these changes? VMWare keeps some of my worries at bay, but even then, I need to use their OpenGL renderer and not their Metal renderer just to see the menu screen on Halo, and that doesn't account for the slower performance or its lack of 3D acceleration support for Mac guests.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

...while I wouldn't go that far with currently working hardware such as my current computer, be assured that, as the OP implied, I am considering abandoning Apple. For now, I'll have to use Bootcamp, especially since my father is a die-hard Apple loyalist...
Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Their gaming support has been dog-poopie since the mid 90s. They've always had absurdly out-of-date OpenGL support for some reason - Apparently Steve Jobs thought video games were a waste of time and insisted that Macs were productivity machines.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Their gaming support has been dog-poopie since the mid 90s. They've always had absurdly out-of-date OpenGL support for some reason - Apparently Steve Jobs thought video games were a waste of time and insisted that Macs were productivity machines.
Yeah, when I read about the dropping of OpenGL support, I did hear about it only barely supporting 3.3 even now. Somewhat surprised Frictional Games could make a working build of SOMA for Macs, that said.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I used to be a Mac gamer waaaay back in the days when I was a kid. Wheel of Fortune was pretty much my favorite game.

Then, I got spoiled on PC's because my parents don't like Macs, and for the old ID Games / Raven Software shareware games that were available for PC.

I'll only admit to the fact that I work with a Mac computer at my job.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
Karai
Hench Mutant

I use a Mac and do play some games on it, but the term "Mac gamer" always seemed odd to me. I've got a Macbook Pro that can run some games, but I wouldn't use it as a gaming rig per se. Are there Macs that can do that, or am I just buying the wrong ones?