The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I don't think he was "mighty" since...well, Home Alone movies.
He is certainly not a "super star" by any margin.
On this, we agree.

Kind of a shame. Seems like an okay guy. I totally empathize with his position, being forced into stardom by his Dad, having it break up the family, not being "allowed" to pursue any serious acting because everyone just wanted him to be "The Home Alone Kid" forever. It's gotta be rough. I totally empathize.

But the fact he ended up being a junkie "to cope" is something I have no respect for. He definitely deserved better up to a point, but everything after like 1997 he did entirely to himself.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #102
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think he was "mighty" since...well, Home Alone movies.
He is certainly not a "super star" by any margin.
I know, but that's how the saying goes.

Btw, what about the Sixth Sense kid? I know he was in A.I Artificial intelligence shortly after The Sixth Sense, but did he become a big star as an adult or not really?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #103
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah, last I heard he got real fat and was busted for driving with weed. But that was several years ago.

His sister Emily's the bigger star. She was on Hannah Montana for the entire run, and after that became a fairly successful actress and country singer. I think she does more singing now, but I'm not sure. I saw her on some rerun last week when my father-in-law was watching TV, but I have no idea what it was.

I finally watched that Home Alone AVGN episode. Epic.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #104
Sumac
Banned

To my dear friend Leo:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Pardon me, I'm not the one who got bent out of shape because someone made a mostly-true, off-the-cuff remark about a gaming console that's been dead for 25 years. You didn't HAVE to say anything about it. But you did. I tried to blow it off, treat it like a joke, no big deal, but then you had to pull the stupid "Running away?" nonsense. I simply have no patience for sh*t like that.
Oh, I am sorry, that under your usual veener of pretentious "irony" I haven't noticed that you've made a joke.

Quote:
Your VERY FIRST interaction with me, before I even "met" you, was when you posted some flame-bait bullsh*t on my "wall". Ever since then, I've not been inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt. As stated, in cases where we happen to agree, OR, other people were upset about something you may have said, I've been inclined to argue for fairness. BUT, most of those people have argued, "Sumac is just here to stir sh*t, he's not worthy of defense."
It had started "slightly" differently.
You've said some hilarious **** and I've responded. As usual in your case, you went ballistic like an electrocuted bear and started insulting me.

I might add to that, eventually, when most of the forum was laughing about your butthurt about people's opinion on the Batman v. Superman, you've called everyone "arrogant jerks" and dissappeared, like some wrestler, whose carrier went to its nadir.

Also, I would never attack someone without ANY reason.
And boy, you do give those reasons like a leaky fountain in the tropic rain.

Quote:
Not at all "fragile", but I have zero patience for bullsh*t. You wanna hash this out privately, fine, but if you're going to continue to engage me either way, come correct or not at all.
For what purpose?
You don't want to talk to me. Or you are saying so.

With loev!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #105
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

To my dear friend Leo:
Spoiler:

Oh, I am sorry, that under your usual veener of pretentious "irony" I haven't noticed that you've made a joke.

It had started "slightly" differently.
You've said some hilarious **** and I've responded. As usual in your case, you went ballistic like an electrocuted bear and started insulting me.

I might add to that, eventually, when most of the forum was laughing about your butthurt about people's opinion on the Batman v. Superman, you've called everyone "arrogant jerks" and dissappeared, like some wrestler, whose carrier went to its nadir.

Also, I would never attack someone without ANY reason.
And boy, you do give those reasons like a leaky fountain in the tropic rain.

For what purpose?
You don't want to talk to me. Or you are saying so.

With loev!
Ay Dios Mio..... are you like... asking to get banned?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #106
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm tempted to watch that video, but f*ck Mike right in the goddamn ear. Guy irritates me worse than hearing the word "Skittles" spoken out loud.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #107
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I'm tempted to watch that video, but f*ck Mike right in the goddamn ear. Guy irritates me worse than hearing the word "Skittles" spoken out loud.
He wasn't too bad. Keep in mind most of the attention was on Mac this time around, and he even got to play first. It's too bad it wasn't just James and Mac, with Mac replacing Mike, but oh well.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #108
Prowler
Emperor

Mike is James best friend, so we'll have to put up with him forever unless both break of their friendship one day all of a sudden. Plus, it was Mike who created the channel originally. So it's only fair for James to allow him in videos as well. Took years for Mike to finally appear on camera, though. I remember browsing the ScrewAttack forums in 2006-2008 and Mike Matei being a user there, answering fans questions about AVGN and stuff. For years, AVGN fans didn't get to see Mike's face and only read what he wrote online. I'm sure many wish they'd never had seen his face and let alone heard his voice, but whatever.

Mike is fine as long as he isn't making his cringy jokes.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #109
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Mike is James best friend, so we'll have to put up with him forever unless both break of their friendship one day all of a sudden. Plus, it was Mike who created the channel originally. So it's only fair for James to allow him in videos as well. Took years for Mike to finally appear on camera, though. I remember browsing the ScrewAttack forums in 2006-2008 and Mike Matei being a user there, answering fans questions about AVGN and stuff. For years, AVGN fans didn't get to see Mike's face and only read what he wrote online. I'm sure many wish they'd never had seen his face and let alone heard his voice, but whatever.

Mike is fine as long as he isn't making his cringy jokes.
True, but if Mike isn't cringy, he wouldn't quite be Mike. He's a necessary evil I guess. I have a feeling if he goes, James goes with him.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #110
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
True, but if Mike isn't cringy, he wouldn't quite be Mike. He's a necessary evil I guess. I have a feeling if he goes, James goes with him.
You're right he is a necessary evil. James and Mike are not only best friends but also work together. Mike probably gets a share from James' profits.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #111
jason89
New Recruit

Wooow, it's wonderful, for more information check my profile)
jason89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #112
Prowler
Emperor

So, I finally watched the Home Alone games episode. Decent episode, but not one of my favourites. Clearly, Macaulay Culkin was the star of the episode, as expected from a big guest star. And I thought having Lloyd Kaufman as a guest in one of the episodes several years ago was already a bit mind-blowing.

I'm glad there's still some bad old games out there for James to review. But he seems to be slowly getting into more "modern" games, like Xbox, PS2 games, etc. And you don't really feel much of his "anger" when he review those games since he didn't grow up with them; unlike Karate Kid, TMNT or Ghostbusters, for example.

But oh well, still fun. I think I'm always gonna enjoy the Nerd.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #113
Sumac
Banned

I feel like he can't get into this "super angry nerd persona" from the early episodes.

But he still is an entertaining host and a good reviewer. In fact I always liked his episodes where he is less AVGN and more of a reviewer.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #114
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I feel like he can't get into this "super angry nerd persona" from the early episodes.

But he still is an entertaining host and a good reviewer. In fact I always liked his episodes where he is less AVGN and more of a reviewer.
Well, he's nearly 40 by now. Not a guy in his mid-20s anymore fresh out of uni. Plus, he's married and a father of two daughters now. So it makes since he grew up and changed a bit. And like I've said, it's harder for him to get angry at games he didn't grow up in, especially the more modern ones. Keep in mind he mostly grew up playing the NES and the SNES and then sorta fell a bit out of gaming around the Saturn/PS1/N64 generation. His main passion is film making and not games, but ironically AVGN has became the main thing that puts food on his table. I think he wishes he could move on from the character and take off as an actual film maker, but by now I think it's obvious he's never gonna become a very successful director as he wanted to. He could have gotten bigger with his AVGN movie... but that movie was bad and made fans wish he'd just have focused on doing his AVGN episodes. That seems to be the time where his popularity began declining a bit.

It's hard to believe how big he was back in 2006-2007, considering nowadays he "only" has like 2.9M subscribers and his videos usually have about 1M views "only". Getting 1M views on a YT video nowadays isn't as impressive as it was back in 2006-2008. Pewdiepie can easily get like 6-7M views on a below average video. I'm not even a pewdiepie fan, but I can't deny the facts.

AVGN both came at the right time and also a bit too early. 2004-2006 was a time where nostalgia for older games started to become a big things. Remember when you could still buy NES/SNES/mega Drive/etc. games off ebay for practically pocket change? Around 2007 or so, the prices of older videogames online skyrocketed, since A LOT of people got interested in revisiting their childhood video games or taking an opportunity to play good games they had missed on when they were kids. Adding to the fact that the number of internet users kept growing every year, ofc. So James Rolfe was in the perfect place at the right time to portray an older video games obsessed character.

I think he failed to capitalise on his fame at the right time, however. I don't even blame him for moving to GameTrailers in 2007 for a few years, since back then no one made money off YT like they do these days, but clearly that stalled his channel's growth a bit, since he could only upload his GT episodes on YT a year or two after he originally uploaded them on GT. There was no James and Mike's Mondays at the time. It took YEARS for Mike Matei to appear on camera, in fact. I believe J&MM only started in like 2013? 2014?

Plus, James content focuses on older games, while obviously the masses are gonna prefer other gaming channels that focus on current games. So that relegates James' stuff to a smaller niche in the gaming community.

Oh well, James was just destined to go down in history as a pioneer and not as a guy who could remain huge forever.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #115
Leo656
The Franchise

Did he do any new ones recently? I haven't had a chance to check.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #116
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Did he do any new ones recently? I haven't had a chance to check.
He did one about being confused Kingdom Hearts chronology and one about video game magazines. Haven't watched those yet, though.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #117
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

AVGN is less like the 'Angry Video Game Nerd', and more like the 'Slightly annoyed Video Game Nerd' in recent years
Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #118
snake
Disgusting

I don’t know, I still enjoy his stuff as much as I always have. Everything recent from the Megaman episode on has been golden, and it seems like James is actually having fun doing them again. I still look forward to new episodes, and I always enjoy them. Doing the “angry” thing constantly is forced at this point, so the more professional tone of these episodes make the legitamately angry moments so much funnier in comparison.

Yeah, there’s no moments like trying to use the grappling hook in Batman Forever or “I CAN’T TOUCH THAT RED POT?”, but I still find it entertaining.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #119
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

In response to Prowler's long post.

James may not be a huge youtuber by today's standards, but he was certainly one of the more revolutionary ones, if not the most during his time.

I might be wrong on this, but I am pretty certain that he is solely responsible for starting the "angry video game reviews" genre.

Also, when you compare the scale of Youtube back then compared to now, I think it could be argued that James was one of the biggest Youtubers of his time.

Heck, the Irate Gamer got his videos featured on the front page in 2007-2008, and he is the poor-man's version of AVGN

Just goes on to show how influential and big AVGN himself was, if his rip off managed to reach such popularity at the time.

His content is also timeless I would argue, in the sense that I still check out his old reviews from more than a decade ago, and still enjoy the ever living hell out of it.

Many Youtubers nowdays however, who became more popular than AVGN in terms of subscriber count, were just fads who faded out over a period of time, and are hardly remembered nowdays.

Atleast there seems to be a steady stream of AVGN (like the ones here on the drome) who have been fans for a decade (if not more), and continue to look back on his old stuff with fondness.

My favourite AVGN review of all time has to be Turtles 3, that will always be a classic for me.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 AM   #120
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I don’t know, I still enjoy his stuff as much as I always have. Everything recent from the Megaman episode on has been golden, and it seems like James is actually having fun doing them again. I still look forward to new episodes, and I always enjoy them. Doing the “angry” thing constantly is forced at this point, so the more professional tone of these episodes make the legitamately angry moments so much funnier in comparison.

Yeah, there’s no moments like trying to use the grappling hook in Batman Forever or “I CAN’T TOUCH THAT RED POT?”, but I still find it entertaining.
Pretty much this, in the now. I enjoy Cinemassacre on a whole, especially now that the Silvermania gang have been absorbed. I've always liked those dudes, having two of my favorite Youtube outfits meld together is a rad thing. They mesh well.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sumac vs leo656