The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Among the turtles who do you prefer being the best at combat/stealth

I personally saw Leo as being the most balance of the turtles with Raph being the best fighter of the group and Mikey being the best a stealth.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Leonardo, easily. Both in terms of my personal preference and what I believe to be true.

Leonardo may not be the strongest, smartest and whatever Michelangelo is supposed to be, but he is the best strategist, making him the best in both stealth and combat. I think the Tmnt Battle Royale Death Battle analyzes this pretty well.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-09-2018 at 01:20 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #3
Dragnskull
Stone Warrior

I always liked the idea of mikey being the "Potential uber-ninja"

He's loud and goofy and doesn't take anything serious normally, so it'd be a perfect balance to see him "turn it on" when needed.

Good examples of this is him becoming the battle nexus champ in 2k3 series (granted all by accident), or in the Nick toon when he was in dimx and became savage mikey.

A complete goof, but has an X factor that gives him the greatest potential of all
Dragnskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Someone did point this out on tumblr on the 2012 show.

I don't exactly remember which episode, but it was when Leo tried to sneak out on his own and Mike followed him...and didn't notice until Mike grabbed him from behind. He could have killed Leo if he wanted to!

Loud and obnoxious though 2012 Mike may be, I would have no problem with him being the sneakiest of the four. Because you'd never expect him.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I’ve always seen Mikey as being the best of the four but it usually isn’t expressed. In part, I think that Mikey has to buckle down and decide to really throw his all into a fight which he does very rarely. I think it may be an issue of belief too. Mikey doesn’t act like the best ninja because he doesn’t think he’s the best. He see Leo and Master Splinter as being the most skilled so when he compares himself to them, he assumes they’re holding back or not putting their all into something. I think the thought of himself being better than Leo is something he just plain can’t wrap his head around but we’ve seen bits and pieces of it come out in certain episodes. Personally, I would love to see Mikey go all out...
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I think Leo would be best at stealth, only because I like the idea of him being the best all-around. He's equally good at all things.

Raph, I think is stronger.
Mike, faster.
Don, more logically minded/smarter.

But YMMV.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Equally good at combat and stealth.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've never really bought into the whole "one has to be the best" thing... but I don't have a problem with it, either.

The only problems I have with the concept are when writers show Leo and Raph as the skilled, and Mike and Don as the "oh yeah, they're ninja... but they suck."

ESPECIALLY when they show Don as the "purple turtle with a stick REALLY sucks."
Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Leonardo, I guess.
At least as far most incarnations are concerned, he is supposed to be the best warrior.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Leo, definitely. Pretty much agree with what Plastron said and how she put it. They're all good, but they all have their own strengths to use to their advantage, and the others make up for it in their own ways.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've never really bought into the whole "one has to be the best" thing... but I don't have a problem with it, either.

The only problems I have with the concept are when writers show Leo and Raph as the skilled, and Mike and Don as the "oh yeah, they're ninja... but they suck."

ESPECIALLY when they show Don as the "purple turtle with a stick REALLY sucks."
I think of it less as "which one is best" and more an extension of their personalities. They start off with the same base level of skills, which are damn near superhuman, but then curve off towards their own interests.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I think of it less as "which one is best" and more an extension of their personalities. They start off with the same base level of skills, which are damn near superhuman, but then curve off towards their own interests.
I'm fine with that, and that does make sense. I just think this sometimes gets carried too far or given too much weight. Not every character is a team needs to be broken down to videogame character statistics.

"I need to beat this level quickly, better use Mikey for his speed! Next level has a ton of hard enemies, so I'll switch to Raph for his strength..."
Old 01-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I always found the idea of Michelangelo having "The greatest potential" as completely ridiculous.

What exactly makes Mikey have more potential than his brothers? He isn't as physically strong as Raphael, strategic as Leonardo, smart as Donatello, lacks focus, is lazy, and not to mention, the nunchaku are easily the worst out of all the turtles' weapons.

The only hidden potential he has in my opinion, is the potential for the most improvement.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm fine with that, and that does make sense. I just think this sometimes gets carried too far or given too much weight. Not every character is a team needs to be broken down to videogame character statistics.

"I need to beat this level quickly, better use Mikey for his speed! Next level has a ton of hard enemies, so I'll switch to Raph for his strength..."
That's a good way of putting it. Yeah, LAME.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's a good way of putting it. Yeah, LAME.
Donatello got his ass handed to him often in the 2k3 series. I'ts like they made him out to be the least capable fighter of the group. So because he has brains that means he can't be a great fighter? Both have to be mutually exclusive?

Anyway, it makes the most sense for Leonardo to be a slightly more skilled fighter than his brothers. He is the leader after all. Funny thing is, in the FW series, despite him officially being the leader and being called a leader often, he didn't seem to be more or less skilled than his brothers. Then again most fights in that show were just slapstick anyways.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Funny thing is, in the FW series, despite him officially being the leader and being called a leader often, he didn't seem to be more or less skilled than his brothers. Then again most fights in that show were just slapstick anyways.
He has his moments of being more skilled than his brothers and is easily the most ninja-like, but I agree that the FW turtles were more equal to each other than other incarnations.

One positive thing about that however is that Michelangelo in that series wasn't reduced to being the worst of the group, which I really don't like in other versions. It gave all the turtles an equal spotlight rather than make one turtle more important than the others which was done with Leonardo in the 2003 series.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Leonardo wasn't focused on that much more than the others in 2k3, he just got more episodes relating to Shredder/Karai so it seemed like that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Equally good at combat and stealth.
Thats kinda boring.
Quote:
I see it more as which character fits you playstyle, Mikey is the Fragile Speedster racking up combos, Raph is the Mighty Glacier bringing in good hits and counters, Leo is the jack of stats and Don is the Awesome but difficult character.

Last edited by PApagreg; 01-09-2018 at 03:04 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Thats kinda boring.
Well, as Andrew would say: its the source material

Old 01-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #20
plastroncafe

That depends on the source material.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
#notmytmnt, plastron goes quiet