Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Okay. For you.
Well I believe one of the users said it best, "It looks like an adult coloring book."

Most of us already own these issues already, so paying a lot of money for an inferior collection makes little to no sense.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #42
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well I believe one of the users said it best, "It looks like an adult coloring book."

Most of us already own these issues already, so paying a lot of money for an inferior collection makes little to no sense.
I own the issues as well, but vastly prefer reading trades and hardcovers. If three-fourths of the issues look fine, I can give it a begrudging pass.

Mostly, though, I'm still just happy to see "City at War" collected in any form. I'll double dip if a complete version comes out, and I really, really hope it does.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I'll double dip if a complete version comes out, and I really, really hope it does.
If that happens it'll all be water under the bridge, but we have no idea if we'll get the correct version with duotones released. And what about Ultimate Collection 5 that finishes City at War? Will that have duotones?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #44
KM3K
Random Punk

Mine is already on the way from Amazon, so I guess I'm stuck with this.

What I don't understand is why IDW didn't let people know about this. It's a pretty big defect to the collection. I'll definitely be considering returning this to Amazon since I already have the original issues. I mainly bought these because I really like the Ultimate Collection format for reading. Then again, I already have the first three collections so I'll probably end up keeping the fourth.

Quote:
And what about Ultimate Collection 5 that finishes City at War? Will that have duotones?
That's a good point. Hopefully someone from IDW can clarify the situation with volume 5.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #45
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

i actually think its pretty cool seeing the untoned pages. i'd bet that these were the scans Keith Aiken (the inker) provided mirage with after he inked over jim's pencils. i'm not sure who toned the pages. could've been keith or jim. mirage probably had scans of both the toned and untoned pages at one point and may have deleted the scans of the toned by accident thinking/assunming they had a double copy of the files.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #46
Hardshell
Foot Soldier

Disappointing but not a deal breaker for me. Bought and enjoyed. A lot of stuff that's new to me in here. Can't wait for Vol. 5.

Not IDW's fault, anyway. This is what they have to work with from Mirage.
Hardshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #47
Crabfight
Thug

Well...crap.

This'll be my first reading of City at War, so I'm pretty disappointed that I'm not going to be getting it in its original form. That being said, I want to read it bad enough and the UC is just too convenient for me to cancel.

Are the pages that are printed without the duoshade seemingly random? Is there any rhyme or reason as to which ones have it left out? Or am I just going to get unexpectedly bashed over the head with a weaker page every so often?

Last edited by Crabfight; 04-15-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typos, yo!
Crabfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #48
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
And what about Ultimate Collection 5 that finishes City at War? Will that have duotones?
I'm sure it depends on the files from Nick, maybe its not too late to have them double check with Nick and/or Mirage for the correct ones in #5 but I doubt we'll see an update to #4.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

This might sound like a conspiracy theory, but does anyone think they purposely released it without duotones first, just so they can re-release it with duotones as a "special edition" and cause people to double-dip?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #50
Tazi
Mad Scientist

I think, as a big comic publisher they know enough to understand how destructive bad publicity can be. So I'd doubt it.

When it's all said and done. it's definitely IDW's fault that they haven't hired a competent employee to catch these mistakes, and oversee the whole production. But it's a forgiveable mistake, since when you got the files straight from Mirage, and you change nothing, you simple wouldn't suspect that they sent you something wrong.
Still, IDW could hire someone who would examine the release material more deeply, before they send it for printing. This would also help to catch the coloring mistakes in the colored classics series.
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #51
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Is anyone going to try and contact IDW about this? Posting on forums they don't read isn't going to accomplish anything.
Bobby has stated before that the best chance of contacting and affecting change in the reprint depart is to write to: letters@idwpublishing.com. Perhaps someone can start a new thread and take the lead in an organized effort to mass email them letting them know that this issue is disappointing enough to warrant a recall, or at the very least, a corrected version to be made available. I would, but I definitely don't have time at the moment.

Quote:
Okay. For you.
He tends to forget that part...

Quote:
This might sound like a conspiracy theory, but does anyone think they purposely released it without duotones first, just so they can re-release it with duotones as a "special edition" and cause people to double-dip?
It is a conspiracy theory. However, we didn't see this with the other issues that have been shown to be missing duotones in previous reprints (like #5), so I'd say it's not likely. IDW so far has been pretty transparent in there willingness to cause people to double dip (see color classics, the works tpb, etc.)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #52
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

I really can't believe no one has brought this up at all over at IDW's Boards in the TMNT or the Letters section. I'm sure IDW can't comment until they look into it further, and they can't do any finger pointing or throw anyone under the bus, but damn this is disappointing. I'm was going to wait until FCBD to pick up Volume 4 at a huge discount at the sale at my local shop. I'm hoping IDW has some official stance or statement regarding this by then, I'm not going to buy Volume 4 if a new duotone version is going to be produced. I doubt they could do a recall on the books already out there, that's a huge money loss for them to take on Hardcovers.

Major Bummer.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW doesn't have a good track records with trades so far, but this is probably the worst case scenario especially for these issues.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #54
Turns
Thug

I gave it a poor review on amazon and said that I intend to return the book and boycott it until the time of a proper release (which is true). Hopefully if enough people do the same IDW will have no choice but to do it right.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #55
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
IDW doesn't have a good track records with trades so far, but this is probably the worst case scenario especially for these issues.
You need to be a little more specific on that, IDW has put out a lot of great collected editions for their other properties, with both their new stuff & older pre-IDW runs. Their collections of GI JOE and all of the artist editions has been awesome. I wouldn't go say they have a bad track record just yet based solely on Ultimate Collection vol. 4 & the first few volumes of TMNT Adventures.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #56
funatic
Mad Scientist

Bummer. I'm torn on whether or not to get this now. I already have the original issues, so it'd just be for the sake of them being collected together. I doubt they will do a reissue, tho what do you guys think the odds are of these being released collected again in a different format? I wonder if the color classics trades will make it this far?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Looks like Ultimate Collection #3 is my last collection thus far. Probably won't get this one or the next unless they're reprinted properly.

I just can't see it, because then I know in a few years it'll probably get another re-release and I'll have to sell this outdated copy that nobody will want.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #58
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

Mine came in from Amazon yesterday, I noticed a couple issues lacked tones tho others have them. I thought they all had them originally and this confirms it (I didn't have time to check for sure). Its disapointing, I perhaps Mirage had other files that didn't get sent over. Files for just inks and files for shadded final issues that would have been sent to the printer and they just didn't get the right ones... I do really like Jims artwork in it when flipping through.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #59
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

The really weird thing is I flipped through my copy of Ultimate Collection 3 and found a few issues that initially looked like they were missing shades, but when I checked them against my original printings they look identical. I think #15 was the best example. I'm not an artist, but it definitely looks like Duoshade was not used on that issue, or at least it was used to a lesser extent.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #60
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
The really weird thing is I flipped through my copy of Ultimate Collection 3 and found a few issues that initially looked like they were missing shades, but when I checked them against my original printings they look identical. I think #15 was the best example. I'm not an artist, but it definitely looks like Duoshade was not used on that issue, or at least it was used to a lesser extent.
Is your copy of issue #15 a first print? There was another thread floating around here where it was pointed out that a couple of issues didn't have the duo shades in the 2nd printings of the single issues, even though the 1st printings did. Issue #5 was the issue I believe in the thread, but #15 might fall into that category as well.

Tags
mirage, reprint