The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eastman refers to Shredder as "Karai's father" in Ult. collection 5

How did nobody catch this? I haven't seen anyone post it yet, so I'm going to say it now. Anyone who has Ultimate Collection #5 quickly go to page 107 and look at the Eastman annotations on the bottom left. This is the issue where Karai is dressed in Shredder's armor. This is what Eastman says:

"April and Robyn at the Second time around shop wrapping up this part of her life - and being spotted by Mike, while Don convinced him to keep quiet, which then ties wonderfully to Karai entering as Shredder, dressed as her father to confuse the Elite..."

Wow. I know Eastman has been out of the Turtle loop for a while, and probably confused with both IDW and Nick's Karai, but he actually claimed Oroku Saki was Karai's father in the Ultimate Collection. This will probably make new readers to the Mirage material think Karai and Shredder are related too.

Quite shocking nobody caught this, can anyone here scan the page so everyone can see it? It's kinda amusing, especially since Shredder's actual daughter "Pimiko" later shows up in Image Volume 3.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

I have this book, but haven't read through it.

In truth, both Kevin's and Peter's memory about certain aspects of TMNT history is fuzzy and has become inaccurate.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

While it's an easy mistake to get mixed up about, it's a pretty big slip given the general public thought Karai had always been Shredder's daughter & now one of the creators has even said it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
While it's an easy mistake to get mixed up about, it's a pretty big slip given the general public thought Karai had always been Shredder's daughter & now one of the creators has even said it.
Ideally it's also something an editor should have caught.

(Hint, hint - I'm available IDW. )
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, its not really a problem for us, I'm talking about the general public who never read a TMNT comic before reading the Mirage material for the first time. They'll probably all think Karai is Shredder's daughter in the comics now too.

Can't wait for Image to be collected and they see Pimiko who nobody knows about outside of hardcore TMNT fans.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Well it is hard to keep all of those continuities straight sometimes...he's her father in what? 3 continuities?
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Yes & no. When you actually break it down, technically, she's still never been his daughter. In 2k3 Shredder was an utrom dressed as a man who took her in, in the Nick toon he stole her from Yoshi as a child, and in IDW he's actually her great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather or something. Pretty funny actually.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's rather obvious he calls her his adoptive daughter in 4kids even when he was talking to NYC in his Saki disguise.

Also I don't know if Eastman ever watched the 4kids series, so he probably doesn't know about that one.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Cipher
Foot Elite

I certainly don't expect creators to maintain the same level of memory for a twenty-five year-old franchise as their fans do. It's totally fair that Eastman might get mixed upon that. He also, at least per his comments in this volume, doesn't appear to have been part of the main writing team (Laird and Lawson) who actually scripted "City at War."

However, I do find it disheartening for the future of her character that the "Shredder's relative" aspect is now so ingrained as the default that it's what even one of the creators falls back on.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

However, I do find it disheartening for the future of her character that the "Shredder's relative" aspect is now so ingrained as the default that it's what even one of the creators falls back on.
Totally. It's really just the daughter/underling dynamic that I don't really appreciate. At this point I'd settle for her to start being introduced as his distant aunt or something.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
DK2
Stone Warrior

If it hasn't been formally mentioned and said in the Mirage comics then Karai isn't the Shredder's daughter that's the way I see it. But some of you may be correct to say that people's memory can be deceiving to themselves as well now that it has become the norm in assumption or recollection especially from Eastman and Laird. When you read Peter's old "Blasts from the Past" posts or his blog bits he's always in the can't recall the details memory. I usually have a good memory myself but I do find myself finding my recollections changing though time too. I didn't know Karai was Shredders daughter or somewhat is until I watched Turtles Forever as I hadn't really watched the 2K3 toon series. Still trying to catch up on the IDW comic so I'm out of the loop about that interpretation as well. It sure makes things interesting though had the Mirage series gone further on in some way.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Only so many people know that obscure tidbit. This TMNT mega fan knew her as a tournament fighter character who took over the Foot from The Shredder after he was killed of in TMNT#21 before getting to know her better in the 2003 cartoon. Only six weeks ago did I even learn she was Shredder's age in the Mirage comics. The fact she comes in becuase Shredder is gone and a replacement character for the arch nemesis means if she is to continue she had to find a way to be around at the same time as Shredder and working her in as Shredder's relative thus loyal #2 worsk perfect so she can be used further and we don't have to get ride of the definitive foe to see her. If we had to get ride of Shredder in order for Karai to appear then I would rather not see her. She has been a compelling chracter so using her as Shredder's relative has proved to be a great move and glad to see that what I always thought was a fact is pretty much set in stone from here on.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

The whole idea of her even being connected to Shredder probably stemmed from the fact that she wears Shredder's armor in City at War to confuse the Foot Elite.

I'm willing to bet if Karai never wore Shredder's armor in Mirage, then she wouldn't have been connected to Shredder so heavily from the 4kids series onward.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Only six weeks ago did I even learn she was Shredder's age in the Mirage comics.
That's debateable. I forget what the Palladium/Mirage stuff said but it was something like 36 in #1. Karai, some 2-3 years later, was old enough that she had a 16-18 year-old daughter (who got gunned down in "City at War")... so they could be about the same age, but it's hard to say. But definitely not Saki's daughter. Might have been an early idea that Kevin bounced off of Peter that they collectively dismissed... and it's hard to say exactly how much Kevin was involved in "City at War" directly, creatively.

I did get the impression from some phone calls with Kevin a couple years ago that he isn't too keen on "City at War" at large.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

She's gotta be way older than Saki. Might closer in age to Nagi.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #16
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I did get the impression from some phone calls with Kevin a couple years ago that he isn't too keen on "City at War" at large.
That is very interesting (and it's news to me). What were his allusions?
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 AM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Didn't Eastman claim that 2k12 is the best incarnation of TMNT ever?

Maybe that 2k12 train of thought/idea is what he really thought of tmnt as a whole now.
----
Anyway it doesn't fuss me much. Wouldn't adoptive children call their parent: father or mother even? It's not that unusual.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #18
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Anyway it doesn't fuss me much. Wouldn't adoptive children call their parent: father or mother even? It's not that unusual.
Sure, but Karai is not related or adopted by Saki in the Mirage comics, she's likely to be older then Saki.

Saki is never ever Karai's father or something similar in the original mirage comics. It's a huge misstep in the synopsis of the book in question.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Only so many people know that obscure tidbit. This TMNT mega fan knew her as a tournament fighter character who took over the Foot from The Shredder after he was killed of in TMNT#21 before getting to know her better in the 2003 cartoon. Only six weeks ago did I even learn she was Shredder's age in the Mirage comics. The fact she comes in becuase Shredder is gone and a replacement character for the arch nemesis means if she is to continue she had to find a way to be around at the same time as Shredder and working her in as Shredder's relative thus loyal #2 worsk perfect so she can be used further and we don't have to get ride of the definitive foe to see her. If we had to get ride of Shredder in order for Karai to appear then I would rather not see her. She has been a compelling chracter so using her as Shredder's relative has proved to be a great move and glad to see that what I always thought was a fact is pretty much set in stone from here on.
While I understand part of the proclivity to make Karai Shredder's underling is that it allows for retaining Shredder as the primary villain while introducing Karai early, it still rubs me the wrong way. You don't need Shredder to be dead to keep Karai as the head of the Foot. In Mirage, for example, the entire New York faction had essentially become a rogue element under his leadership. There is zero reason that dynamic couldn't be maintained in another version with both Shredder and Karai active at the same time. There is zero reason she couldn't be in charge even if that weren't the case. One of the most recognizable incarnations of Shredder of all time, while still the primary antagonist, played hierarchical second-fiddle to Krang.

Frankly, though, TMNT has always been more interesting to me post-Shredder than when he's still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB
Craziness. Although he's always been the goofy action guy. I can see why the headier "City at War," as much as it returned some focus to ninja-style violence, might not be his favorite part of the series.

Still, he seemed to really dig the addition of the old man recovering in the hospital, something Laird stated he "kind of wished we'd removed" in this book. That was a bit of a shocker. But creators don't always have the best handle on their own work, especially when forced to look back on it, and that's that.

Last edited by Cipher; 01-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eastman loves City at War, you can tell by reading his annotations throughout the book. He just said that Jim Lawson and Laird had more to do with the story than he did, and you can see that by him complimenting them on handling the arc in this collection.

I'm surprised none of them mentioned how quickly Casey fell in love with April so soon after Gabrielle died. I mean he just married Gabrielle and thought he was going to start a family with her. She dies at childbirth, he spreads her ash's, and only a few weeks/month later he meets April and they kiss on their first day seeing each other again.

It's something I never realized as a kid that struck me re-reading this now

Tags
karai, kevin eastman