The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

I think that with certain things, I'm in close agreement with Zarius, insofar as, sometimes, SOMEthing has to go right for so-and-so.

People go on about "The ol' Parker Luck", and "He's supposed to be this tragic loser", but eventually, with all the piling on, the guy'd just up and kill himself, if we're being real. The fact that if nothing else, he always had MJ, was the one bit of stability in his life. It's simply not realistic to expect that this guy would remain forever optimistic, altruistic, and acting as a hero if it truly was a case of "Nothing ever goes right". Again, he'd eventually just kill himself. They're not gonna have him do that, so they need to at least give him SOMEthing to be grateful for in his life. It doesn't HAVE to be a never-ending tragedy, nor should it be.

I'll be open and say the stories that lean into "Peter's life sucks and he's a total loser" are ones I stay far away from. There's "something for the average slobs reading the book to relate to", and then there's just plain drudgery and misery. The 80s/90s Spider-Man comics up to right around when Carnage showed up were absolutely not like that. Rather, he was in a pretty good place with his life, between being happily married and still managing his Spider-Man gig. And the stories, shockingly, were still entertaining, even when he wasn't constantly bemoaning his crappy life.

If people genuinely don't want to see the character happy, or grow out of his "loser" phase, that says an awful lot more about them, the way I see it. I feel like you gotta let these guys have SOMEthing to live for besides "the fight". Things can go right for them sometimes, it shouldn't be verboten.

I'll gladly take "happy and devoted husband" over "God, my life sucks" as a defining characteristic of Spider-Man, all day every day. But that's me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #102
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'll gladly take "happy and devoted husband" over "God, my life sucks" as a defining characteristic of Spider-Man, all day every day. But that's me.
I think that's just everyone in the public consciousness mate, Marvel just don't want to feed us that because only a select few know how to write for it.

Hell, look at what DC are doing with Superman currently, they broke up the very healthy super family, put Lois and Clark in a weird long-distance marriage where Lois no longer needs him or her son and puts writing a book above both, and are turning Jon into an angsty teen brat. Neither company knows how to hold their nerve with consistent happiness for fear it turns away audiences.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #103
AquaParade
Banned

I mean, Peter’s entire character and foundation is predicated on “god, my life sucks”. That’s what made him different from every other superhero - seeing him not only experience the normal, everyday issues that real people live with, but find a way to move past or overcome those issues. That’s what makes him an inspiration.

Peter can be married, sure, but that’s never been what makes him special.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #104
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I mean, Peter’s entire character and foundation is predicated on “god, my life sucks”.
No. It. Isn't.

Quote:
That’s what made him different from every other superhero - seeing him not only experience the normal, everyday issues that real people live with, but find a way to move past or overcome those issues.
He dealt with a legal separation from MJ in the 2000s...but did they divorce? No, they fought tooth and nail for their love and reunited.

His child was stillborn, but in RYV, he and MJ overcame their grief and conceived another

Quote:
Peter can be married, sure, but that’s never been what makes him special.
Just shut the f*ck up already. Marriage was...no, IS, a very unique part of what makes Peter so likeable. If Stan thought the way you did, he wouldn't have married him and MJ in the first place. Stop swallowing Quesada's Kool-Aid.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-07-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #105
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
No. It. Isn't.
Yes, it is. He was created in contrast to the average comicbook hero at the time, who had good looks, a healthy family, a hot girlfriend. Stan had Ditko draw him, so he appeared as a skinny loser, as opposed to another Jack Kirby model.

It’s not that Peter can’t ever find happiness or have a good marriage, it’s that he is in no way dependent on that as a character, and in fact, has always dealt with great tragedy and unfavorable circumstances.

If you like a married Peter, that’s fine, but expect to raise a few eyebrows when you claim he’s been utterly ruined as a character because he went through a divorce.

He’s not “the married superhero”, he’s “the Everyman”.

If you want to disagree, all due respect, but “No.It.Isnt” isn’t really worth a bucket of piss, to be frank.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #106
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
No. It. Isn't.

He dealt with a legal separation from MJ in the 2000s...but did they divorce? No, they fought tooth and nail for their love and reunited.

His child was stillborn, but in RYV, he and MJ overcame their grief and conceived another

Just shut the f*ck up already. Marriage was...no, IS, a very unique part of what makes Peter so likeable. If Stan thought the way you did, he wouldn't have married him and MJ in the first place. Stop swallowing Quesada's Kool-Aid.
Am I personally offending you? Try to be rational about this if you’re going to respond to me.

You said, but deleted that I need to "stop drinking Quesada's Kool-Aid".
Nah, Quesada’s kool-aid was that Peter had to be youthful and that going through a divorce would make him seem old. Thus the overly-complicated and hard-to-digest “Brand New Day” explanation.

Quesada wanted him forever young anyway possible, whereas, I don’t mind an old, dad-bod, divorced, in his mid-thirties Peter, at all.
Get your facts straight.

Marriage is not what makes Peter likeable, on any measurable scale, lmao. Look at the success of any Spider-Man story of the last decade or more, besides Renew Your Vows, which barely exists anyway. It may be what makes him likebale to you, sure. Too bad, if that’s the case.

Honestly, 99% of the people who pine for the marriage are just chasing their childhood and how it was then.

Would I have preferred Peter to still be married to MJ instead of Brand New Day?
You bet. I hate the way that was executed and had no inherent problem with Peter being married. But I’ve never fooled myself into thinking that being married is wha makes Spider-Man a special character.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-07-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #107
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'd like to apologise, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I'm just very passionate about Peter and MJ, I've grown up on their relationship and it just hurts to see such a unique and loving pairing frequently put through the needless wringer. TI also never dealt with One More Day very well, and it contributed to a mental breakdown I had in 2010. Thankfully the ongoing positive depiction of the marriage in the newspaper strip and across books like Spider-Girl and Renew Your Vows helped pull me out of that funk.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #108
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I'd like to apologise, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I'm just very passionate about Peter and MJ, I've grown up on their relationship and it just hurts to see such a unique and loving pairing frequently put through the needless wringer. TI also never dealt with One More Day very well, and it contributed to a mental breakdown I had in 2010. Thankfully the ongoing positive depiction of the marriage in the newspaper strip and across books like Spider-Girl and Renew Your Vows helped pull me out of that funk.
Appreciate it. No worries.

I’ve been meaning to check out some of the hardcover collections of the newspaper strip. Maybe I’ll finally do that.

Saw the film, btw. A lot of fun. If anyone is interested, I highly encourage them to check it out. Possibly my favorite Spider-Man film, following Spider-Man 2. Still too early to truly say.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #109
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Appreciate it. No worries.

I’ve been meaning to check out some of the hardcover collections of the newspaper strip. Maybe I’ll finally do that.

Saw the film, btw. A lot of fun. If anyone is interested, I highly encourage them to check it out. Possibly my favorite Spider-Man film, following Spider-Man 2. Still too early to truly say.
It's won quite a few awards already too. Glad you had a good time.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #110
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Thoughts?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #111
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I saw it this past Friday at one of the early screenings and thought it was not only one of the best spider-man movies (right up there with Spider-Man 2), but the best super hero film of the year and best animated film of the year too.

Years from now we will think about super hero and animated films both in terms of pre and post Into The Spider-Verse... it's impact will be massive.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #112
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I saw it this past Friday at one of the early screenings and thought it was not only one of the best spider-man movies (right up there with Spider-Man 2), but the best super hero film of the year and best animated film of the year too.

Years from now we will think about super hero and animated films both in terms of pre and post Into The Spider-Verse... it's impact will be massive.
While it didn’t have that effect on me, I agree that it was fantastic. I guess i would just say: don’t write this film off. If you love comic book films, it’s hard to imagine you won’t enjoy this. It deserves as much attention as any other Spider-Man film, live action, or otherwise, and arguably surpasses most, if not all, of them.

Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite, though it’s tangled with Nostalgia and heart-warming memories, which makes it hard to be objective. In my mind, Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT, while this and Homecoming are damn good Spider-Man films. The rest, I can take or leave.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #113
Shark_Blade
Emperor

This is the best Spiderman movie, hands down. So much freedom and beautiful art, added with witty writing.

Second is Homecoming/Civil War, third is Amazing Spiderman series and last is Raimi (I blame Tobey for being an unwatchable awful actor).
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #114
Leo656
The Franchise

I notice that there's always an inverse ratio of people's enjoyment of Spider-Man movies in recent years, when compared to how closely those films do or don't resemble the comics.

"Interesting".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #115
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Surprise Of The Year: Sony Animation’s ‘Spider-Man’ Has Emerged As Oscar Frontrunner https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/s...er-167766.html

Told ya it’s the best Spiderman movie.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 AM   #116
neatoman
Emperor

Saw it yesterday, pretty good.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #117
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it was. Pretty funny!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #118
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

gonna be seeing it tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #119
AquaParade
Banned

I’ve seen this twice now.
Granted, I was 20 minutes late to my first showing, so I had some incentive to go back and see it again. It was worth it to me though.

It’s just a ton of fun. It moves at a quick pace, and I felt like there could have been more room to develop these characters, but at the same time, the brisk pacing keeps things pretty fresh throughout.

I’d also praise this film’s marketing alongside Deadpool 2 and Infinity War. This years movie trailers have been great about keeping secrets and misdirecting audiences, so they still have some surprises in store when they finally get to theater. I’m not implying there are any earth-shattering reveals or twists, but the film did have me grinning in surprise, despite my having watched a few trailers, and I appreciate that.

I’m left anxiously awaiting the home release and the sequel. I’m probably biased here, but I’d love to see the sequel be set around the holidays. Spider-Man, the snow, Christmas lights, holiday spirit, all rendered in that beautiful animation could really set the mood for me.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #120
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
I’m left anxiously awaiting the home release and the sequel. I’m probably biased here, but I’d love to see the sequel be set around the holidays. Spider-Man, the snow, Christmas lights, holiday spirit, all rendered in that beautiful animation could really set the mood for me.
I think I'm the only one who doesn't want a sequel. I thought it was a damn near perfect story that wrapped up nicely in a bow at the end. Now I want to see what else this team can put together.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boycottspiderverse, into the cuckverse, my sjw sense is tingling, spider-man