The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #221
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

After finishing R.A. Salvatore's "Promise of the Witch King," which was very good, I began on his novel, "The Highwayman." So far, it's great; religious intones, a Zorro/Robin Hood-like character, and not so many fantasy species (ex. elves, fairies, etc.) make it a nice breather from the usual.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #222
MadPirateBunny
Mad Scientist

R.A. Salvatore rocks! Wrote him a letter once and he replied but that was years ago and heck if I know where the letter is now. Oh and I met him at a book signing thingy like 3 years ago. I didn't have his latest at the time but I did have two paperback copies of Sojourn {YAY DRIZZT!} which I took and he signed both, one which I sent my friend in Iraq.

Note to self: Pillage first. THEN Burn.
MadPirateBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #223
Lady Venus
Mad Scientist

Full Metal Alchemist: Valley of the White Petal

Sig made by: Joe
Lady Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #224
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Gone With the Wind. It's actually really good.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #225
discordiatookie
facehugger

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist. Its a Victorian adventure, and i'm only half way through the second chapter. Its a beast of a debut novel in around 800 pages, but thats the way I like em! I like how the characters are all intertwined, and it hasn't doddled on action so far. (Although i've just reached the 100 page mark) so only time'll tell!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #226
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Just finished 'The Tenth Circle' by Jodi Picoult. Riveting read.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #227
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Dawn View Post
Just finished 'The Tenth Circle' by Jodi Picoult. Riveting read.
Jodi Picoult eh? My mam and my fiancee are mad for her, I dunno how many of her books passed hands between them! She actually done a signing in Aberdeen, which my mam went to (karen couldn't as she was working) so my mam got her a signed book aswell! yep, i'm pretty lucky that they get along as for me, I aint read any of them, although I always said I would, just never got round to it. I quite liked the look of that one about the comic book artist (the name escapes me.)

My mam was actually a big influence on me being a reader, she would take us to the library at least once a week to pick up books, and was forever giving me her books to read. We went through pretty much the whole Stephen King back catalogue together (although she never read the Dark Tower, but I love it!), visiting bookstores and what not, and buying a couple each, taking them home, reading them, then swapping. it was pretty cool having someone to discuss them with, as most of my mates were into football, or music or whatever. (with the exception of Duda, as big a King fan as me! everytime we meet for a pint, all we talk about is the dark Tower, reverting to the speech used in them books...) And now, my fiancee Karen, she's a total bookworm aswell, so thats great too!!!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #228
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookie View Post
Jodi Picoult eh? My mam and my fiancee are mad for her, I dunno how many of her books passed hands between them! She actually done a signing in Aberdeen, which my mam went to (karen couldn't as she was working) so my mam got her a signed book aswell! yep, i'm pretty lucky that they get along as for me, I aint read any of them, although I always said I would, just never got round to it. I quite liked the look of that one about the comic book artist (the name escapes me.)
The Tenth Circle.

Unless she has another one about a comic book artist! Hehe.
Quote:
My mam was actually a big influence on me being a reader, she would take us to the library at least once a week to pick up books, and was forever giving me her books to read. We went through pretty much the whole Stephen King back catalogue together (although she never read the Dark Tower, but I love it!), visiting bookstores and what not, and buying a couple each, taking them home, reading them, then swapping. it was pretty cool having someone to discuss them with, as most of my mates were into football, or music or whatever. (with the exception of Duda, as big a King fan as me! everytime we meet for a pint, all we talk about is the dark Tower, reverting to the speech used in them books...) And now, my fiancee Karen, she's a total bookworm aswell, so thats great too!!!
Yeah, we were lucky like that, too. I read TONS when I was little... and still do now. I love it. We were always at the library.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #229
Peanut
Second Gear

I just finished reading through Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince again. These damn books depress me!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #230
SeaThreePeeO
Mad Scientist

I recently finished Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. At the same time I was reading it a mini drama based on the book was being shown. So there was I feverishly reading and then watching just what I had read on the tv. Freaky indeed.

At the moment I don't get a lot of spare time to read, but I hope the next one will be another Discworld novel
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #231
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Currently reading:

The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. Just think Da Vinci code or Da Vinci Legacy minus Da Vinci and with a secret code in Templar Knights stuff and you get the idea of the story.

The Treasure of Khan by Clive and Dirk Cussler. The latest book in the Dirk Pitt adventure series.

I recently finished reading "Jesus Christ Out of Egypt" by Ann Rice. I generally don't read any Ann Rice stuff cuz Im not into Vampires (Im more into her sister's werewolf saga). But I like reading biblical history stuff and this one was pretty good. It's the first book in a series about the life of Jesus. The first one starts out when he's 7 and ends when he's 8. It was pretty good.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #232
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I finished The Journey Home for my book report in English, which I think went well.

In the same class, we've started reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok. It's about two friends that are Jewish and tells how they interact and go through things in life. The author was/is a Jew, so that's a connection he has with a lot of the books he wrote.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?

Last edited by cowabunga14; 03-11-2007 at 03:59 PM.
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #233
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Just finished The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. Gooood stuff, that.

It's not my copy, but I think I'm going to buy it.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #234
Nightwatcher
Foot Soldier

I am reading Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I didn't really "get" the movie so I decided to read the book. While it has some funny parts...I don't think I really "get" the book either.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #235
Daunt
Foot Soldier

I just polished off the The Grey King by Susan Cooper and am about to move on to Silver on the Tree.

The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper is one of my favorite series of all time. :) I think I've read & reread it a million times over.

Soon, the latest sex-trash novel by Laurel K Hamilton will be out on paperback and I can scoop that up. >_(\ ::hides face:: Oh the shame!
Daunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #236
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

Finally caved in a picked up a copy of Watchmen, and just finished it yesterday. A really sobering story.
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #237
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

"I shouldn't even be doing this!" by Bob Newhart. The man is a comic genius. any fan of his needs to pick this up, and I mean now.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #238
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Ah, I wanted to read that. I'll have to check it out soon. Right now I'm reading 'Three Weeks With My Brother' by Nicholas and Micah Sparks.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #239
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

The Newhart book has been a great read so far, so many hillarious stories in it. It almost reads like a stand up bit in a few parts. I'm sure you'll really dig it if you get around to picking a copy up.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #240
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

My English class recently started Lord of the Flies, which is a book that I read before in eighth grade. I'm glad to be reading it again because I know more about it seeing as I've read it before and I'll probably enjoy it just as much.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote