The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 05:51 AM   #21
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Well, I'm also black. One significant experience of discrimination might have been when I was pulled over eight years ago for having a non-functioning brake light. The cop wasn't wrong to do that, but after he told me his reason for stopping me, he also asked me where I was going. I'm told that that's what the cops do nowadays, but the he also goes "all right, give me something". I was under the impression that he thought I might have had something I shouldn't have, such as a weapon, or any drugs. Some thing he was trying to trick me into bribing him. Then some time after making all that fuss, he told me that they're looking for someone who has a car that matches the description of the one I was driving. Of course, that's a classic line that cops use to cover their asses.

Long before that, I was also leaving a store that I had been in for a while, and two cops stopped me to check to see if I might have stolen anything. I was also followed around in a Waldenbooks store, and the guy made it so obvious. I regret not confronting him about that. I wouldn't have even gotten aggressive with him, but I'd have just told him that he should at least offer me help if he's going to follow me around the way he did. That's why as a minority, I get a little uneasy when I'm in a store and I get asked if I need any help.

I'm also male, and I might have also experienced discrimination in schools when I was younger, from female teachers. The seemed to treat the boys as though our successes would always be insignificant since we weren't girls.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 AM   #22
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I've been passed over for promotions in favor of guys in my department even though I'm routinely called the best at my job, take on harder cases than they do, and come in earlier and stay later than they do. I've asked three levels of managers for feedback as to why I was passed over with no response. Only that I'm the best worker they have.

One guy just got promoted over me and he spends most of his time wandering around the office talking about his kids sports and routinely comes in an hour late and leaves an hour early. Then when he's behind on his work he "delegates" to me.

The kicker is they never post the promotion opportunities or take applicants for the positions. I'd call them on the violation of the EEOA, but all that would do is stigmatize me and I'd never advance again.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #23
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I've been passed over for promotions in favor of guys in my department even though I'm routinely called the best at my job, take on harder cases than they do, and come in earlier and stay later than they do. I've asked three levels of managers for feedback as to why I was passed over with no response. Only that I'm the best worker they have.
I've experienced this personally, as well as seen it happen to others all too regularly. Sorry to hear.

Also reminds me; it's not exactly discrimination as much as it is nepotism, but when I'm promised a promotion one season to only have it then given to the executive producer's accountant's eighteen year old daughter who has no passing interest in the position in the first place, well...
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #24
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:

One guy just got promoted over me and he spends most of his time wandering around the office talking about his kids sports and routinely comes in an hour late and leaves an hour early. Then when he's behind on his work he "delegates" to me.

The kicker is they never post the promotion opportunities or take applicants for the positions. I'd call them on the violation of the EEOA, but all that would do is stigmatize me and I'd never advance again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I've experienced this personally, as well as seen it happen to others all too regularly. Sorry to hear.

Also reminds me; it's not exactly discrimination as much as it is nepotism, but when I'm promised a promotion one season to only have it then given to the executive producer's accountant's eighteen year old daughter who has no passing interest in the position in the first place, well...
So much crooked BS goes on in business, and it's always a case of 'is it worth the inevitable poo-storm to complain about it'. Who the hell do you complain to anyway? HR are a bunch of corporate stooges. I don't want to discourage anyone from reporting harassment mind you, but I know people sometimes do so and don't get any support.

It's easy to think that workplace discrimination is getting better too, because companies can't stop talking about diversity and inclusiveness initiatives, but in my experience, they don't really understand the concept at its core. Diversity is just another buzzword to slap on a recruitment ad; it's something they want to be seen to be doing, more than a real concern.

I'll give you an example without going into too much detail. I'm working on some material to support International Women's Day with a couple of my colleagues. This is so important to their boss, that rather than work on any of it himself, he's palmed it off to a bunch of women in his department. He's got a communications manager, and a commercial sales manager organizing morning tea. This guy thinks he's doing the right thing, but he's just mindlessly checking boxes. He says he's committed to equality, while treating engineers, managers, and other professionals like an overqualified secretarial pool. (No offense to any admin - I think they are undervalued too).
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #25
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:

I've had that happen too. When I first started out, entry level girl been there about three years. Was again routinely told I was the best worker blah blah blah. I applied for the management training program and was told they only wanted people who wanted to be managers. WTF? I wouldn't have applied if I didn't want it. They gave the spot to a senator's son who had been with the company less than a year and who I was training.

Then I got moved to a headquarters because i had a certian "look". (Read: size 4 with DD boobs at that time) and the wanted me there. Once there i spent more time fetching coffee and snacks for the officers than doing my own job. I quit. I have 2 masters degrees. I'm not your toy.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Every time I have a random hookup, I need to take a moment to explain briefly explain the Hatchet-Man tattoo on my arm as a unwise decision of my youth before we move any further

Otherwise? Nah.
You were a gigolo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I'm also male, and I might have also experienced discrimination in schools when I was younger, from female teachers. The seemed to treat the boys as though our successes would always be insignificant since we weren't girls.
That's weird. Is that a thing where you live? I don't recall discrimination against any gender at schools. OK they were more likely to forgive you talking in class if you were a girl, but I remember them being more likely to ask male students questions. Which sucked for me since I was a quiet kid.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, also if you're like 18-20 in your first ever job or at a 2-3 month unpaid intership(modern day slavery) they'll basically make you do all the boring s*it. And meanwhile, someone got fired so that a kid like you could get the 2-3 month internship, meaning they have to pay one less salary.

Even with labour unions and such, employers like to exploit workers. And people wonder why there are so many unmotivated and unproductive workers.

Quote:
I've had that happen too. When I first started out, entry level girl been there about three years. Was again routinely told I was the best worker blah blah blah. I applied for the management training program and was told they only wanted people who wanted to be managers. WTF? I wouldn't have applied if I didn't want it. They gave the spot to a senator's son who had been with the company less than a year and who I was training.

Then I got moved to a headquarters because i had a certian "look". (Read: size 4 with DD boobs at that time) and the wanted me there. Once there i spent more time fetching coffee and snacks for the officers than doing my own job. I quit. I have 2 masters degrees. I'm not your toy.
Makes you wonder how those few women who get to the top na become CEOs and such manage to do so. All the BS they have to put up with.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is it true that some bosses try to sleep with their female workers before giving them promotions? I see this in movies and TV shows all the time, does it happen in real life?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Is it true that some bosses try to sleep with their female workers before giving them promotions? I see this in movies and TV shows all the time, does it happen in real life?
lol

While i'm sure it happens I doubt it's as common as you'd see on TV. A boss won't just ask a female employee to sleep with him out of the blue. He'd risk getting sued.

At my first job one of the supervisors was having an affair with one of the female workers, but no idea if it involved promotions or not. Most likely just lust.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #29
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You were a gigolo?
Juggalo. Big difference
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #30
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Shockingly, I've been in this situation, but I wasn't going to get a promotion out of it. He was just a creepy dude who hit on his female employees.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's been said around 70-80% of all female workers in the workplace suffer sexual harrassment from men. I'm shocked the number is so high, especially since most of these men are also married and are thus cheating on their wives.

I honestly wonder how many bosses sleep with their female workers, or vice versa, how many seductive women purposely flirt with their bosses to get raises or promotion.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #32
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Back in 2007, I'd lost my job of two years (bad housing market was the main cause) so that meant job hunting again and schooling online. I was registered with a job agency and the job I was sent out on was a temp to hire position. One of the jobs was an office job. I went, had my laptop so that I could do homework, type papers, stuff like that. No internet access though. The workplace was 99% white. I was the 1%, meaning I was the only person of color there...literally. When I walked in to meet the manager (or the supervisor, I forget), her smile faded when realizing that I was the one she was meeting. She also looked puzzled as she reconfirmed my name twice.

Anyway, after three days, I was fired. Reason? For goofing off online/using the internet for inappropriate things. I didn't have my own cubicle nor did I have a work computer, and my laptop didn't have net access. Bottom line, they lied. I saw other employees playing Yahoo games and one I recall looking at WWE's site, and the supervisor was with me during that and those employees had worked there a few years.
Ugh, that's terrible! I hope you found another employer who valued your skills.

Quote:

That guy sounds like a a$$hole. Sadly I know a guy a bit like that in my workplace only he's not my boss (in fact, salary is based on bands from lowest to highest, he's a band 1 and I'm a band 2), but he still fobs off his work on other people. He only gets away with it because he's close to management.

He's also made quite a few discriminatory comments like repeatedly referring to me as 'little girl' and one time when I asked him politely to turn the radio down so I could hear people, explaining that I have a condition that can make it harder to focus around too much noise, he just said I should get a new job. Another time he referred to a patient on a learning disability ward as 'simple' and said you just need to treat them like children.

He only gets away with it because he's close to management.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #33
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have on occasion, due to my beliefs. Once I lost a job for unspecified reasons once it became known that I was Wiccan- it was at Hobby Lobby which apparently is very "Christian values" oriented. I've also had people try to convert me or "save" me when they learn of my particular faith. I also get asked to come to churches all the time, mainly by people who know what I am. While not discriminatory as such, it is somewhat offensive at times, especially from those who try to convince me I am "going to Hell" because I pray a different way than them. I've had a few who even thought I needed an exorcism! (Sorry, no I am not possessed by demons nor do I worship your god's arch-rival- the fact that mine is sometimes called "the Horned God" is merely an unfortunate misunderstanding by your ancestors, I assure you....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #34
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

That's weird. Is that a thing where you live? I don't recall discrimination against any gender at schools. OK they were more likely to forgive you talking in class if you were a girl, but I remember them being more likely to ask male students questions. Which sucked for me since I was a quiet kid.
Actually, it was just the teachers that I had for third, fifth and sixth grade who came across that way. Showing favoritism and all that. Mind you, I had the same teacher for fifth and sixth grade, because at the school I was attending then, both classes were combined except for math and French class, where another teacher would teach French.

When I was in fifth grade, the teacher held this contest on Valentines Day where those who wore the most red would get some sort of prize. All the girls won, and no boys did. That's kind of BS since pretty much all girls' clothing comes in red.

I was taking a summer enrichment class after I finished seventh grade and was going to be in eighth grade soon. One day, the teacher that we had for a course had us do an assignment. Then she wanted to know who was finished with their work. She went and said that all the girls are finished, and had to say something about how girls mature faster than boys. I may not have been done with my work then, but it wasn't like I had been screwing around or anything. For all she knows, some boys might have already finished by then, and were just going over their work. You never know what's going on. So I don't think there was any need for her to shame us.

You said that where you're from, a girl is more likely to be excused for talking in class. That reminds me of how one of my friends told me about how she got to visit her son's kindergarten class. She said that all the kids were talkative, but the teacher only went after the boys for talking so much, and my friend said that the girls were talking just as much.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #35
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

It's very disheartening to hear so many people being fired from their workplaces due to their race or personal beliefs. This is the 21st century, legally employers should have to give a reason. While this approach isn't foolproof, it's would make it harder to fire someone for those reasons.

On another note, I remember how when I was a kid during 'wet play' (which sounds kind of dirty now I think about it but it actually just means it was raining outside), we had to stay indoors.
They split up the boys and girls with the boys playing lego and the girls colouring and talking. I enjoyed both so switched between the two. The boys and the teacher treated me like I didn't belong because I was a girl and the girls isolated me because they thought it was weird.
I don't know if it's still the case in schools, I sincerely hope not.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #36
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
It's very disheartening to hear so many people being fired from their workplaces due to their race or personal beliefs. This is the 21st century, legally employers should have to give a reason. While this approach isn't foolproof, it's would make it harder to fire someone for those reasons.

On another note, I remember how when I was a kid during 'wet play' (which sounds kind of dirty now I think about it but it actually just means it was raining outside), we had to stay indoors.
They split up the boys and girls with the boys playing lego and the girls colouring and talking. I enjoyed both so switched between the two. The boys and the teacher treated me like I didn't belong because I was a girl and the girls isolated me because they thought it was weird.
I don't know if it's still the case in schools, I sincerely hope not.
In some places of the US, you must give a legitimate reason to fire an employee, unless you live in a "Right to work" state.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Juggalo. Big difference
Oops sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I have on occasion, due to my beliefs. Once I lost a job for unspecified reasons once it became known that I was Wiccan- it was at Hobby Lobby which apparently is very "Christian values" oriented. I've also had people try to convert me or "save" me when they learn of my particular faith. I also get asked to come to churches all the time, mainly by people who know what I am. While not discriminatory as such, it is somewhat offensive at times, especially from those who try to convince me I am "going to Hell" because I pray a different way than them. I've had a few who even thought I needed an exorcism! (Sorry, no I am not possessed by demons nor do I worship your god's arch-rival- the fact that mine is sometimes called "the Horned God" is merely an unfortunate misunderstanding by your ancestors, I assure you....)
I guess you live in a very religious area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Actually, it was just the teachers that I had for third, fifth and sixth grade who came across that way. Showing favoritism and all that. Mind you, I had the same teacher for fifth and sixth grade, because at the school I was attending then, both classes were combined except for math and French class, where another teacher would teach French.

When I was in fifth grade, the teacher held this contest on Valentines Day where those who wore the most red would get some sort of prize. All the girls won, and no boys did. That's kind of BS since pretty much all girls' clothing comes in red.

I was taking a summer enrichment class after I finished seventh grade and was going to be in eighth grade soon. One day, the teacher that we had for a course had us do an assignment. Then she wanted to know who was finished with their work. She went and said that all the girls are finished, and had to say something about how girls mature faster than boys. I may not have been done with my work then, but it wasn't like I had been screwing around or anything. For all she knows, some boys might have already finished by then, and were just going over their work. You never know what's going on. So I don't think there was any need for her to shame us.

You said that where you're from, a girl is more likely to be excused for talking in class. That reminds me of how one of my friends told me about how she got to visit her son's kindergarten class. She said that all the kids were talkative, but the teacher only went after the boys for talking so much, and my friend said that the girls were talking just as much.
Well dunno if it's a general thing, but every school I've been to, teachers were more likely to ask a male than a female student questions if I remember correctly. Also, male students were way more likely to raise their hands and answer a question made to the whole class. Maybe because males in general are expected to be more assertive or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
In some places of the US, you must give a legitimate reason to fire an employee, unless you live in a "Right to work" state.
I remember you mentioning that story of you getting fired before. That law sounds like something that only gives companies more power to abuse their workers.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yup, I do. Rural Texas, smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. Mostly conservatives, particularly Southern Baptists. Lots of Catholics around here too, due to the large Latino population. And many of them are VERY supersticious. Especially when it comes to things like Tarot, or anything having to do with hexes or charms, poppets, and pentacles.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

I've always wondered why there's so many outspokenly religious people and so many religious factions and cults in the Americas. Maybe because all of the different people there means everyone wants to feel their a part of something, whether it's a religious or cultural group?

Unrelated to your example but It's kinda odd/funny how so many people nowadays, even non-believers, hold superstitious beliefs. Some of them quite silly. And don't get me started on football supporters who really believe that their pre-match rituals such as wearing their "lucky boxers", "lucky scarves", or wtv, is gonna lead their team to victory.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I've always wondered why there's so many outspokenly religious people and so many religious factions and cults in the Americas. l:
It's almost entirely Jesus Bible humpers and overly religious people down south. I don't care how religious you are, don't enforce your beliefs onto others and don't hate people who don't believe in the same thing you do.

They're basically like a cult, as you said. Some of them really are insane and think they're possessed by angels or demons or some other such nonsense.