The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #61
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I'm getting excited for this again; Iron Fist really, really killed the hype for a while.
Yeah, that was definitely part of it for me. But a lot of the footage for this has disappointed too... mainly the humor. The jokes have all been pretty forced.

It also just doesn't seem very "superhero-y", if you will. No IF costume contributes to the, for sure. Plus I really want some gratuitously epic group shots. I never get tired of this:

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #62
ToTheNines
[sic]

Just finished ep 1. Pretty much all catch-up with the 4 shows, but still enjoyable if you're a fan of them. Some scene transitions were incredibly cheesy... hopefully the rest of the episodes aren't as amateurish.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #63
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, that was definitely part of it for me. But a lot of the footage for this has disappointed too... mainly the humor. The jokes have all been pretty forced.

It also just doesn't seem very "superhero-y", if you will. No IF costume contributes to the, for sure. Plus I really want some gratuitously epic group shots. I never get tired of this:

Yeah, that's the money shot right there. So freaking cool. Can't wait to get an updated version in Infinity War.

Quote:
Just finished ep 1. Pretty much all catch-up with the 4 shows, but still enjoyable if you're a fan of them. Some scene transitions were incredibly cheesy... hopefully the rest of the episodes aren't as amateurish.
Oh damn it's out now huh. I guess I'll try to watch an episode or two after work today, I heard that it was at least decent on the NPR review
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #64
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, that's the money shot right there. So freaking cool. Can't wait to get an updated version in Infinity War.

Oh damn it's out now huh. I guess I'll try to watch an episode or two after work today, I heard that it was at least decent on the NPR review
Yep. It doesn't really pick up at all until episode 3 though. Boardroom fight did not disappoint.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #65
ToTheNines
[sic]

Jesus Christ Daniel...

Old 08-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Has no one powered through all of this yet? What's the verdict?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #67
ToTheNines
[sic]

I'm done. It was quite good. The 8 episode format kept it tight after a sluggish first 2 episodes.

Action/fight choreography was not Daredevil-tier. But miles ahead of the other 3. Great use of some excellent rap songs in the big throw downs.

A couple a puzzling decisions, like mostly squandering Colleen Wing and no IF suit (ending would have been a PERFECT time to debut it), but overall a nice addition to the MCU.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
no IF suit (ending would have been a PERFECT time to debut it)
No? I thought for sure we'd see him get it in the end.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]

Just wait until you see it. They literally set it up and just didn't do it lol.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Don't spoil them but... is there any big "Holy sh*t!" surprises in this? Like things none of us expected?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #71
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yes. Definitely some decent swerves. And I literally said "Holy sh*t!" at one point. They did something from the comics I never thought would happen.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm about to start the final episode.

If this guy doesn't show up, I'm calling bullsh**.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #73
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Show was alright Punisher doesn't cameo. Danny just sucks he comes off as such a a whiny person.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #74
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I don't understand why the city of New York was in danger. Or why there was an earthquake.

What did I miss? Because I really, really don't buy that the city was in any danger if those you-know-whats were removed from the underground bunker. Immortal evil ninja death cult stays immortal, sure, but... why is the city in specific danger?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #75
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't understand why the city of New York was in danger. Or why there was an earthquake.

What did I miss? Because I really, really don't buy that the city was in any danger if those you-know-whats were removed from the underground bunker. Immortal evil ninja death cult stays immortal, sure, but... why is the city in specific danger?
Removing the bones would have weakened the foundation and created a massive sinkhole.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #76
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Removing the bones would have weakened the foundation and created a massive sinkhole.
Okay. That's what I thought would be the case, but I don't think it was ever explicitly said. Or if it was, I missed it.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My review:

Saw all of "The Defenders" now. I wasn't much on board with it.

Spoiler:
"Will he be ready when the doors open?" asked Stone to Stick in the foreboding Daredevil season 1 finale. We have been left to imagine in the couple of years since some gigantic Avengers-style battle, demon hordes (or something) pouring out of some portal with Daredevil, Jessica, Iron Fist, and Luke fighting against overwhelming odds. So what doors was Stone actually talking about? The "gate" that Iron Fist unlocked to... get some of the "substance"? AND WHERE IS STONE? Very unsatisfying on every level here on what was built up and what was actually delivered. No way what they were planning for "The Defenders" at the time of Daredevil season 1 is what we got.

And just what was delivered? It felt like the train sort of left the station and then just puttered around a bit for 8 episodes. They never quite felt like a cohesive team, The Hand didn't feel like The Hand anymore. It definitely seems like Marvel caved to all the "heat" they took about making too many Evil Asians in Daredevil season 2 and then Iron Fist that basically the whole Hand is now completely PC balanced with mostly white thugs... The Hand is supposed to be a JAPANESE CRIME SYNDICATE WITH AN ARMY OF JAPANESE NINJAS! It is OK to make them Asian. Sheesh. We literally only saw the "real" Hand ninjas in one scene, and Elektra kills them almost *immediately* off-camera, and they're never seen again. Anyway, we get a lot of "little" fights, a lot of bickering (which was actually the most fun of the show), and a highly weak climax.

I am somewhat hip to the fact that this is a Netflix TV show and not a huge budget Marvel film... but I'd hoped that the lesser episode count of Defenders would mean they'd be able to get more bang for their buck with it being stretched less thin. This always sort of felt cheap, even for Netflix Marvel. I wanted to see Luke Cage go full-on wrecking mode, I wanted to see Jessica do some crazy flying and aerial attack stuff making us go "OH! ****!" we haven't seen before and I wanted to see Iron Fist in his damn costume, possibly double iron-fisting it at one point.

I appreciate the psych out with Weaver's character, who ends up jobbing to Elektra, who basically immediately becomes the main villain for the third act. The problem then becomes, though... we don't hate Elektra. We like Elektra. The last battle, I'm not rooting to see Daredevil shishkibob her, I want to see him snap her out of things and take her out of there. "The Defenders" needed a tangible Big Bad for the end there, not just a tiny little dark set filled with The Hand: Politically Correct Version thugs. And also, I appreciate that the show didn't try and insult us into believing Daredevil is really dead at the end... but it does rob a lot of the emotion of the conclusion.

This might actually be the weakest of all of the Marvel Netflix shows/seasons so far.

Was hoping for a Punisher cameo (you know, some key moment, Daredevil is like, "I know a guy..." and then he shows up for a save) but I didn't mind that we didn't get one when it was all said and done.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-24-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #78
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My review:

Saw all of "The Defenders" now. I wasn't much on board with it.

Spoiler:
"Will he be ready when the doors open?" asked Stone to Stick in the foreboding Daredevil season 1 finale. We have been left to imagine in the couple of years since some gigantic Avengers-style battle, demon hordes (or something) pouring out of some portal with Daredevil, Jessica, Iron Fist, and Luke fighting against overwhelming odds. So what doors was Stone actually talking about? The "gate" that Iron Fist unlocked to... get some of the "substance"? AND WHERE IS STONE? Very unsatisfying on every level here on what was built up and what was actually delivered. No way what they were planning for "The Defenders" at the time of Daredevil season 1 is what we got.

And just what was delivered? It felt like the train sort of left the station and then just puttered around a bit for 8 episodes. They never quite felt like a cohesive team, The Hand didn't feel like The Hand anymore. It definitely seems like Marvel caved to all the "heat" they took about making too many Evil Asians in Daredevil season 2 and then Iron Fist that basically the whole Hand is now completely PC balanced with mostly white thugs... The Hand is supposed to be a JAPANESE CRIME SYNDICATE WITH AN ARMY OF JAPANESE NINJAS! It is OK to make them Asian. Sheesh. We literally only saw the "real" Hand ninjas in one scene, and Elektra kills them almost *immediately* off-camera, and they're never seen again. Anyway, we get a lot of "little" fights, a lot of bickering (which was actually the most fun of the show), and a highly weak climax.

I am somewhat hip to the fact that this is a Netflix TV show and not a huge budget Marvel film... but I'd hoped that the lesser episode count of Defenders would mean they'd be able to get more bang for their buck with it being stretched less thin. This always sort of felt cheap, even for Netflix Marvel. I wanted to see Luke Cage go full-on wrecking mode, I wanted to see Jessica do some crazy flying and aerial attack stuff making us go "OH! ****!" we haven't seen before and I wanted to see Iron Fist in his damn costume, possibly double iron-fisting it at one point.

I appreciate the psych out with Weaver's character, who ends up jobbing to Elektra, who basically immediately becomes the main villain for the third act. The problem then becomes, though... we don't hate Elektra. We like Elektra. The last battle, I'm not rooting to see Daredevil shishkibob her, I want to see him snap her out of things and take her out of there. "The Defenders" needed a tangible Big Bad for the end there, not just a tiny little dark set filled with The Hand: Politically Correct Version thugs. And also, I appreciate that the show didn't try and insult us into believing Daredevil is really dead at the end... but it does rob a lot of the emotion of the conclusion.

This might actually be the weakest of all of the Marvel Netflix shows/seasons so far.

Was hoping for a Punisher cameo (you know, some key moment, Daredevil is like, "I know a guy..." and then he shows up for a save) but I didn't mind that we didn't get one.

Also, where the hell is Nobu? The big Fall of the Hand extravaganza and he's a no-show? Huh? Did he just get quietly flushed out with the bathwater on Marvel's panic about Evil Asians in their shows?
Spoiler:
The leaders of the hand in this series were the founders of the Hand were five members of the Order of the Crane Mother so that explains why they are more ethically diverse

2. Nobu was decapitated
Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #79
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
2. Nobu was decapitated
How could I forget that... damn... I remember him surviving Daredevil "killing" him in season 2 but completely blanked out Stick killing him right after.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #80
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Defenders was the least watched of all the Netflix Marvel premiers

https://www.newsarama.com/36499-defe...-premiere.html
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuckdevil, cuckfenders, cuckicca_jones, defendersoftheearth, immortal iron cuck, luke_cuckge