The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #1981
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So yeah, if you didn't know already I hate my job and would rather do almost anything but what I do. So my mom was watching a show called Bananas, which is a family friendly stand-up comedy show, and one of the preformers said he got into the biz by calling an agent and saying, "I'm a stand-up comic, if you know someone looking for a comic, let me know," and thus the ball began rolling. I was wondering if this would be wishful thinking or if I should follow suit, since I, as you may or may not know, love to (and if you ask me am pretty good at) doing voices. Should I call a local agency and ask them to give me a holler, as they say here, if they know of any VA work, or is that making it too easy?

It's pretty hard to break in to voice acting. My ex girlfriend has been trying for awhile. are you a trained singer by any chance? If so that is a step in your favor (More Jobs are open to you that way.) But at the same time, it hasn't helped her too much. She did audition to be Jean Grey's voice once though.

I say give it a shot bro. The worst they can do is turn you down a few times until you find work.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #1982
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Nope, I also have no voice training...strike two. Man....things are looking up, huh?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #1983
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

I say chase the dream anyway. Like I said, it can't hurt you and it may even work out.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #1984
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I plan on it. I would love to do this, and (if you ask me ) I'm pretty good at it. Thatks Machi and Michi...

Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #1985
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Good luck with it bro, keep us informed.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #1986
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Go for it, Jester!

On a related sidenote - is there a possibility to see you performing some time in the future? Like, on Youtube? I'm pretty eager to see your talents.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #1987
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Should I call a local agency and ask them to give me a holler, as they say here, if they know of any VA work, or is that making it too easy?
Are you asking permission?? O_o You won't get far with that attitude. 'Dog-eat-dog' and all that... You have to make your own reassurance too. You won't always have quick access to friends who can tell you what your conscience insists that you suppress. If ever you need reassurance that you're good enough, just think of Patrick Warburton, and that should be enough. The guy only ever does one voice, and he still gets work everywhere just because his voice is interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Maybe make a demo cd of the voices you can do, stuff you've done in the past, things like that to build a resume..
Then send me 25 autographed copies of the demo on CD that I can sit on for a rainy day. What's the point of having talented friends if you can't ride their coat-tails, huh?

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #1988
syd
Stone Warrior

give a sample?

"Never mind! I just broke out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
glad to have you back.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 AM   #1989
Ra
It's my desire?

Quote:
So yeah, if you didn't know already I hate my job and would rather do almost anything but what I do. So my mom was watching a show called Bananas, which is a family friendly stand-up comedy show, and one of the preformers said he got into the biz by calling an agent and saying, "I'm a stand-up comic, if you know someone looking for a comic, let me know," and thus the ball began rolling. I was wondering if this would be wishful thinking or if I should follow suit, since I, as you may or may not know, love to (and if you ask me am pretty good at) doing voices. Should I call a local agency and ask them to give me a holler, as they say here, if they know of any VA work, or is that making it too easy?
Funny you should say that. Recently I've been talking to a friend and she wants to go into the VA industry as well. I've been playing with the idea a little, but I doubt I will get very far.

I say go for it. You never know what could have been if you just didn't follow your dream. I know a good example of a guy with no voice talents deciding to go to an anime dub company and trying out to do some minor voice acting roles. Now he's one of their shining stars. If he can do it, and if anyone else can do it, then there is nothing saying you can't do it. Go for it, I say, and give it your all. No matter what comes out of it, I know you will feel better about trying to get into the VA industry in the end.

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #1990
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
Funny you should say that. Recently I've been talking to a friend and she wants to go into the VA industry as well. I've been playing with the idea a little, but I doubt I will get very far.
You've got pretty interesting voice, methinks. Of course I didn't hear much of it (there was only that youtube video you posted on the Drome, with you dressed as Marluxia at some anime convention), but I think you could give yourself a chance as well.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #1991
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'll try to post a video later of me reading a story by Jules Feiffer called Munro (I can't find my copy and may have to hit the library tomorrow to get it).
Here's my friend Bob and I doing The Shredder auditions again...hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #1992
gobo
Wacky Action

^^ Jester's the one on the left.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #1993
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Thanks....it also matches my avitar.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #1994
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Like Jester, I wanna break into show biz but on the actor's side. If all goes well, I should be in Hollywood by the end of this year and I'll work on it from there.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #1995
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

I love the video, Jester! You two have quite some chemistry...

As for getting voice training (like for singing), I know you can look around at performing arts centers to look at learning how to work on enunciation (which is different from Pronunciation ), breathing, pace, etc...

As for experience, you could get into things like the local theatre, storytelling, even language classes. Once you learn some Latin, you can do any european based language...

And I second Michi's reply, Definitely keep us updated on this...

*goes lurking on Jester's youtube page*
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #1996
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Like Jester, I wanna break into show biz but on the actor's side. If all goes well, I should be in Hollywood by the end of this year and I'll work on it from there.
Canada or Texas is generally a good place for Voice Acting. A lot of animation studios hire out of there.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #1997
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi heavenly6 View Post
Canada or Texas is generally a good place for Voice Acting. A lot of animation studios hire out of there.
Haha, not voice acting, just acting. I guess I shoulda worded it differently.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #1998
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood :p
Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #1999
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi heavenly6 View Post
That's true. I have a friend that traveled down there to try to land a role in cartoon voice acting.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #2000
Ra
It's my desire?

Quote:
Haha! Brilliant! You do some great voices. I still say go for it...especially after hearing that. And yeah, keep us informed with what happens. You have our full and undivided attention now.

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, celebrations, condolences, gossip