The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Remakes/Adaptations better than the Original

What remakes or adaptations (such as books translated to film) do you feel are better than their original incarnations?

I was initially thinking of the movie Karate Kid. Never saw the whole original film or any of the sequels, because they were so uninteresting to me I didn't care to finish. I really liked the new version with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan though.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

King Kong 2005 and the new one are better than all the old/original movies. And no, I don't care that the black and white ones are "classics" or were "made for their time," they're dreadfully boring movies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

In most cases thd original cannot bs out done. Here are a pair of films quite old but classics.

The Matese Falcon(1941), remake of a silent film. Did the plot knotch better and is still cinema gold.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) is the remake of a silent film far out doing the original. It also has unique distinction of having the same director, Alfred Hitchcock for both films. Like The Maltese Falcon remake this has legendary actors to help improve upon it.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I enjoyed the Secret of NIMH movie so much more after I read the book. While it did leave out a lot of worldbuilding and Brutus, I found myself rooting for Mrs. Brisby far more than Mrs. Frisby. She was more charming, I empathized with her more, and she joins the ranks of Molly Weasely in bad@$$ mothers.

And while I'm not big on magic elements on TMNT, I like the magical element of NIMH. It feels more natural with the narrative for my perspective. I like the haggardly wizard Nicodemus, I like that Mrs. Brisby was able to save her children with the amulet - even if it was basically a deus ex machina.
I like that the movie is scarier than the book, with the history of the rats and Jonathan Brisby, it needs to be scary.

There's something about the style of the movie and Mrs. Brisby's sheer determination melding into one with her meekness that puts her very high in my incomplete favorite female characters list. This blogger articulates my feelings better than I can.

Doug Walker does too

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH told a story, Secret of NIMH gave it a little bit of polish, especially on characters like Mrs. Brisby and her children.

And of course...the movie has the Flying Dreams suite. If there's a thread on favorite film scores, I'd put it on there. Is there one? I know there's one for favorite soundtracks.

The Animals of Farthing Wood is another one (sans season three...I'll subdue my rage toward that for the moment), but I've already gushed over NIMH.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 03-25-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
What remakes or adaptations (such as books translated to film) do you feel are better than their original incarnations?

I was initially thinking of the movie Karate Kid. Never saw the whole original film or any of the sequels, because they were so uninteresting to me I didn't care to finish. I really liked the new version with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan though.
Funny you bring up the Karate Kid. I actually re-watched the original 2 days ago but I cannot for the life of me bring myself to watch the remake. The original just has that timeless charm that movies like Back to the Future have. Never gets old to me.

As for remakes better than their originals... I can't really say as I haven't really seen many of the original films the remakes are based on. As for remakes I really enjoyed in general I'd say 21 Jump Street, The Departed, Friday the 13th (2009), Let Me In, and Little Shop of Horrors are what comes to mind right now.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the only new successful remakes is the current Planet of the Apes films, even though none of them are actual remakes of the classic films in terms of story.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

It wasn't the original, but I did see the 1925 Wizard of Oz once. Complete ass of a film. The '39 one was straight fire tho.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

First one that comes to mind is Mrs. Doubtfire being better than the book, Madame Doubtfire.

The Godfather I and II are probably better than the book. Pretty much everything from the book was included, except where they excised some really stupid stuff. There's several chapters dedicated to Sonny's estranged mistress and how she is seeking an experimental vaginal tightening surgery in Vegas because hers is abnormally large and Sonny is the only dude with a large enough organ to have ever made her feel anything. I'm not kidding. And it literally goes nowhere.

Captain America: Civil War is WAY better than that turd of an "event".

Spectacular Spider-Man is my favorite version of Spidey. I recognize the classic status of the Lee/Ditko era, but I think Weisman did it best.

IDW and Nick TMNT are both better than Fred Wolf.

Goodfellas is probably better than Wiseguy, even if the book is all fact based.

The DCAU and Batman: The Brave and The Bold would occasionally pep up some old stories.

The Man in The High Castle worked much better as a TV series than as a book.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most movies are better than books besides a few. They just tell you books are better because they "stimulate your mind" or help you learn new words or whatever.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I think I'm one of the few who enjoy the 2005 Burton "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" film, and in my mind it matches the sheer whimsy and fun of Dahl's original book. And I enjoyed the added subplot about Willie's dad, if only because it wasn't treated with as much gravitas as it easily could have been.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Girl, Interrupted.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most movies are better than books besides a few. They just tell you books are better because they "stimulate your mind" or help you learn new words or whatever.
No, they have more detail that the movies can't convey well.

I'll use Harry Potter as an example. I will always prefer the books to the films.

There are situations that are opposite, like Jaws for example. Book wise, the characters just weren't very likable, especially Hooper. The film did the characters justice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I think I'm one of the few who enjoy the 2005 Burton "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" film, and in my mind it matches the sheer whimsy and fun of Dahl's original book. And I enjoyed the added subplot about Willie's dad, if only because it wasn't treated with as much gravitas as it easily could have been.
I hated that subplot with an extreme passion because it felt so unnecessary.

I thought it was good that it followed the book so closely, but for me personally, I felt that the 1971 version was more fun to watch. The newer one was boring to me, especially Charlie himself...and the songs didn't stick with me. ^^

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, I'm on the '71 boat too. One of the big reasons being that Charlie wasn't such a Perfect Child™ and that Willie Wonka wasn't another Johnny Depp Character™.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
No, they have more detail that the movies can't convey well.
He knows better. That's just his retard/troll/baiting act.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, I'm on the '71 boat too. One of the big reasons being that Charlie wasn't such a Perfect Child™ and that Willie Wonka wasn't another Johnny Depp Character™.

Oh good I'm not the only one. I also thought the newer version was just plain creepy. Especially Wonka himself.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Oh good I'm not the only one. I also thought the newer version was just plain creepy. Especially Wonka himself.
While I prefer the first film adaptation with Gene Wilder I appreciate that 1. it gave us a backstory to Willie Wonka giving us reasons within story as to why he is the way he is. 2. It didn't just abruptly end with them breaking through the factory roof but finished the scene.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #17
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

The film adaptation of Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White.

Admittedly the film adaptation isn't that great either, it's a fun, really sweet kids movie.

However, I could not stand the book. I only really got into the story as an adult but I don't think I would have enjoyed it as a kid, I didn't like the characters in Charlotte's Web either. Wiht E.B. White, I love the plots but the characters are irritatingly perfect. I actually found myself rooting for the villain in Stuart Little 2.

Again, everyone complains that the romance in the Trumpet of the Swan movie is cliche but their relationship in the book was literally based on looks and wealth, no depth whatsoever which is a terrible message for kids. Cliche development is better than no development and it wasn't even a bad cliche so I don't even consider that too much of a negative point.

There's also this scene where a kid is being bullied for having an unusual so he runs away from camp then later on he gets in trouble for running away and the bullies get away with it. We're actually meant to side with the bullies.

There's just so much about that book that really pisses me off. The film is honestly far better and the development of characters and plot is more interesting.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #18
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post

Many regard the 1983 version of Scarface being way better then the original from 1932.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #19
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah...this. I felt Charlie came across as too nice and perfect and not childlike or have at least one selfish moment, unless new Charlie did and I missed it.

Depp's portrayal of Wonka was just weird and creepy to me, and I generally like Depp.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I personally am fine not knowing Wonka's backstory, and I'm not huge on him being a dentist's son.

Now, I can imagine him coming from a long line of confectioner Wonkas, but they were generally small business and not very successful.
But the Willie Wonka we know was able to find success by first being a focused businessman, a talented explorer, and a formidable scientist and engineer as well as a candymaker.

Because if you look at the way his factory is structured, he is so much more than just a regular ol' confectioner and businessman. When they say he's a genius, he really, truly is.

...Stop me before I write an entire essay about that.

But yeah, the one with Johnny Depp is SUPER creepy aesthetically. I don't care if it's more accurate to the book or that the author of the book didn't care for the '71 movie. The parts of it that are technically creepy about the story are much better when it's hiding under bright color and whimsy.
AND STEALING FIZZY LIFTING DRINKS.