The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #241
Leo656
The Franchise

I think April is necessary in the way that, say, Lana Lang is to the Superman mythos. As in she has an important role in the larger story but the story isn't about her. She doesn't need to be a constant primary factor, and she shouldn't be the driving force of too many stories.

I actually don't have a big problem with the basic idea of her picking up some basic martial arts skills, either, as is sometimes portrayed, because a lot of friends who hang out often kind of absorb or at least show an interest in their friends' hobbies. And since the Turtles care about her, it only makes sense that they'd want her to be able to take care of and protect herself. But stuff like her kicking Karai's ass or having solo "ninja adventures" is a bit too far in my opinion.

I wouldn't excise her from any version of the TMNT canon, but I think at times a lot of writers can't resist the temptation to make her a bigger part of the story than she needs to or was ever intended to be.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #242
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think April is necessary in the way that, say, Lana Lang is to the Superman mythos. As in she has an important role in the larger story but the story isn't about her. She doesn't need to be a constant primary factor, and she shouldn't be the driving force of too many stories.

I actually don't have a big problem with the basic idea of her picking up some basic martial arts skills, either, as is sometimes portrayed, because a lot of friends who hang out often kind of absorb or at least show an interest in their friends' hobbies. And since the Turtles care about her, it only makes sense that they'd want her to be able to take care of and protect herself. But stuff like her kicking Karai's ass or having solo "ninja adventures" is a bit too far in my opinion.

I wouldn't excise her from any version of the TMNT canon, but I think at times a lot of writers can't resist the temptation to make her a bigger part of the story than she needs to or was ever intended to be.
I am in complete agreement with everything here. She can occasionally be further developed in her own plots or subplots but remains most effective as a supporting character.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #243
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I think the TMNT are best with a very small roster of supporting characters, mutants and humans alike.

I like my TMNT alone and isolated, with few social connections. Giving them a Rolodex full of backup and support makes them much less interesting.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #244
mikey0
Foot Elite

The basic versions of turtles and Shredder always outsold the other mutants and humans in the HW Bush era. April and the Foot Soldier were short-packed.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:32 AM   #245
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Echoing what CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy said...

I definitely agree that the TMNT shouldn't have too many supporting characters. Barring April/Casey/Splinter none are really essential. And the villain roster, well, Shredder should be #1 but it's nice when he's out of the picture too and the TMNT can just go up against different kinds of threats to make the stories more introspective and deep. In Mirage Vol.1, the best stories are the ones that explore character depth and don't have to just be about ninja action or crazy sci-fi adventure.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:45 AM   #246
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
It's okay to call him CKD. Bitch don't return calls any damn way.

Course, once you really get to know him, you find out that he likes his hair pulled during coitus and that his safety word is "banana." And by that point, you know a lot more than you wanted to in the first place.

But yeah, CKD is fine, you can call him that.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:52 AM   #247
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Course, once you really get to know him, you find out that he likes his hair pulled during coitus and that his safety word is "banana." And by that point, you know a lot more than you wanted to in the first place.

LOL. Okay... CKD it is. OMG. Haha!
Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #248
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I definitely agree that the TMNT shouldn't have too many supporting characters. Barring April/Casey/Splinter none are really essential. And the villain roster, well, Shredder should be #1 but it's nice when he's out of the picture too and the TMNT can just go up against different kinds of threats to make the stories more introspective and deep.
Agreed. Some of the best episodes in the 2003 series were standalones such as The King, April’s Artifact and The Darkness Within.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #249
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Agreed. Some of the best episodes in the 2003 series were standalones such as The King, April’s Artifact and The Darkness Within.
And for a long time I was a defender of IDW TMNT as the best iteration, but the amount of supporting cast eventually weighed the entire run down. I still love IDW's run, I just think we could have gotten 100 issues with more introspection, far less characters and far less connected stories that bleed into each other. That's the way Mirage did it and the setup of Mirage was better. I'm leaving after I get the last part of City at War and read it.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 05-31-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #250
CyberCubed
Overlord

The problem with IDW currently is the side characters are more important than the TMNT and tend to get bigger character arcs. Whereas for the Turtles they repeat the same things we've seen a million times over (Leo and Raph get into an argument and Raph storms off solo, or Michelangelo doesn't like what they're doing and needs to be reassured by his brothers, or Donatello has some problem with technology or making something), and it's usually covered in a few issues time and then they go back to square one...then they repeat it about 20 issues later.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #251
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem with IDW currently is the side characters are more important than the TMNT and tend to get bigger character arcs. Whereas for the Turtles they repeat the same things we've seen a million times over (Leo and Raph get into an argument and Raph storms off solo, or Michelangelo doesn't like what they're doing and needs to be reassured by his brothers, or Donatello has some problem with technology or making something), and it's usually covered in a few issues time and then they go back to square one...then they repeat it about 20 issues later.
Hasn't this at least been true since after Shredder died? At least since Splinter took over the Foot Clan.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #252
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
LOL. Okay... CKD it is. OMG. Haha!
Quote:

Dammit, I told you those things in confidence!!!

Old 05-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #253
Leo656
The Franchise

TMZ ain't got nothin' on ya boy.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #254
mikey0
Foot Elite

All of the NECA Target 2 pack figures are poorly done.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #255
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

If i could turn back time Id suggest movie 2 & 3 to be similar in tone to the first and not listen to parents complaining , besides theyd still have the OT for kids , win win for both kids and teens

Have Casey back kicking a** and perhaps the TMNT could discover Shredders roots in ancient Japan
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:05 PM   #256
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
If i could turn back time Id suggest movie 2 & 3 to be similar in tone to the first and not listen to parents complaining , besides theyd still have the OT for kids , win win for both kids and teens

Have Casey back kicking a** and perhaps the TMNT could discover Shredders roots in ancient Japan
Turtlemania 1990 was the best thing and worst thing to happen to the property. TMNT became an adolescent thing fast after the first movie came out.

Last edited by mikey0; 06-19-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #257
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post

I LOVE the way you think.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #258
CyberCubed
Overlord

This might sound harsh in the midst of #BlackLivesMatter and the #Metoo movement, but I want April and Casey to be white and straight. Besides that Shredder, Karai and the majority of the Foot have always been Asian, so there isn't much ethnic diversity in TMNT.

They never had to shoehorn hispanic characters, black characters, gay/lesbian characters in classic TMNT stories. When we did have black characters like Baxter or Bebop, it was fine, it didn't feel, "forced." The mere fact that black Baxter is now the mainstream one over white Baxter from the original cartoon says enough.

Now it feels we have "forced diversity."

TMNT is an 80's property at heart, let's keep things how it was back then.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #259
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I want April and Casey to be white and straight.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #260
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, that's what they were created to be, so... it's pretty stupid that that would even be a "controversial opinion" in the first place.