The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 08-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #1
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Any Doll collectors here?

While my doll collecting has slowed down in recent years, I do have a lot of them (they are just mostly in boxes right now except for my Alvin plush and some of my my little pony toys)

do any of you collect dolls or still have dolls from your childhood collection?

if so, what dolls are they and what year or type are they from?
most of mine are fashion dolls like Barbie, Bratz, Monster High and My Little Pony

I have a few collector dolls too like the 2009 reproduction of the first 1959 Barbie and Tour Guide Barbie from Toy Story 2

I've always loved researching about doll history, the different designs and styles, the people who customize them, dolls made for anime like Sailor Moon, the artwork used on the promotional material etc.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

First of all, right upfront I have to clarify whether or not you're one of those wiseguys who pithily refers to action figures as "dolls". Because I have thousands of action figures but I will get incredibly annoyed when some putz refers to them as "dolls" so as to feel better about themselves.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say I "collect" but I do have some more traditional dolls as well as stuffed animals and such. I have one of the smaller vintage Rainbow Brite dolls from the early-'80s, a 12-inch Brandon Routh poseable Superman that came out back in 2005 or so, a 10- or 12-inch Henry Cavill BvS Superman from Mattel's Barbie line (I technically got it for my wife but we "share" it in a sense; it just sits on a shelf anyway), some MLP plush stuff, and a few non-poseable FUNKO MLP vinyls which I guess technically count as dolls.

But I wouldn't say I "collect" stuff like that, so much as I just buy stuff that catches my eye.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #3
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I am just refering to dolls here, action figures are their own separate thing,

I have a build a bear Pinkie Pie somewhere in my wardrobe and right next to me is my sonic 2 build a bear, he's very cuddly

I have some funkos aswell but they're up on my shelf (two book of life ones, a sadness one from inside out, mikasa from attack on titan and an unrelated Sailor Mercury figurine), I think I have an Olaf funko but he's probably in a box.

I have lots of stuffed animals.

I am familiar with the barbie superhero dolls, I used to browse the barbie collector website so I know there's a Harley Quinn one, some 60s batman ones, there was a black canary one that was quite controversial at the time, barbie collector dolls is how I learned about about some characters and people like that.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

To clarify, the FUNKO stuff I have are just vinyl dolls, not the "Pops" stuff. If people like them, that's fine, but to me they're like the dumbest things ever and I truly don't get the obsession with them. But people can buy what they like, that's fine. It's just that whenever you say you bought something from FUNKO people assume you mean Pops unless you tell them otherwise.

So for the record, what I have is These Things:

Only the Mane 6, plus Derpy (I know, I don't care, her name is f*ckin' Derpy ). Because as it is, just getting that many cost me around half a grand. I really want Luna, Celestia and Cadence but I can't justify it at this time, prices have been insane on those for a while. Unless something changed very recently.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Nice, I've seen pictures of those before.

I don't mind the Derpy name thing, I like her character

there's also the bishoujo mlp figurines, they're like anime style versions of Equestria girls but with slightly different designs for some of them. I'd love them but they're very expensive.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

I never got into Equestria Girls, for some reason. I watched the first movie, left no impression, never saw anything else. Which is weird; the regular FiM show is one of the best cartoons I've ever seen but I didn't care for the spin-off at all. Seemed kinda pointless.

These vinyl dolls look fantastic on a shelf, it just stings paying so much money for hunks of plastic that don't even move. But they're some of the only dolls/toys that are 1:1 with the way the characters look on the show and so that's why I wanted them. The regular mass-retail toys are fine for what they are but whether it's colors or likeness or any number of things they don't really represent the way the characters actually look all that accurately, in general. So I never got most of the regular line from Hasbro; I have a couple things I got really cheap like on Clearance or at a flea market but that's all.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #7
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

that's understandable, and yeah I agree that the vinyls look more like the characters than the mass retail dolls, especially with characters like rainbow dash with the way her mane is designed
Old 08-17-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, a lot of the characters' individual personalities are represented through their hairstyles and the toys with their "real" rooted hair simply can't accurately replicate that very well. The faces are also way off, most times.

They're fine for little kids, though, which was ostensibly the audience for the show. But if I'm gonna only have a few pieces of merch on a thing I want it to be "the best" I can get for what I can afford.

When the movie came out I grabbed the Pirate Ponies box set of the little poseable figures, though, since it was like twenty bucks. They're actually pretty cool.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #9
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

got some :

Barbie Ivy mib
Barbie Catwoman mib
Barbie Liz Taylor purple dress/Cleo , loose
Avengers Black Widow (1st version)
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #10
ToSte
Hench Mutant

Somehow I started passively collecting these little dolls called Calico Critters.

Last edited by ToSte; 12-01-2022 at 02:11 PM.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #11
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

awwwww, that's a cute bebop and rocksteady custom, I used to collect those too, they called them sylvanian families over here
Old 08-25-2022, 09:43 PM   #12
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Dolls? Sorry but I've never been fond of seeing grown men collect dolls but then again I'm a grown ass man buying toys so meh. Not bashing or anything like that as anyone can buy what they want and spend their money however they want. I don't think I've ever owned a doll before or what may be considered a doll as there are dolls that are catered to boys.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote