The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #61
mrmaczaps
Banned

What about a Turtles forever style comic book mini series?

Do a Mirage issue that leads into a FW toon issue to the Image series to the 2k3 series to the Archie series (once it was seperate from FW like stories) to IDW series and then double size final issue that leaves the IDW Turtles aware of their counter-parts and wearing red bandanas... lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Re-reading Tales, a few more Mirage characters:

- The Shredder Shark. Would be rather impossible in this series since there are no Shredder clones. Plus we already have Bludgeon. I'd also rather see Armaggon debut if we need another shark character.

- Hattori Gosei, Splinter's friend from issue #9

- The guy from the Halloween issue, he returned in a Tales issue

etc.

Look through Tales V. 2 issues:

http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic...ol2/tales.html

Despite 70 issues, most of it is just slice of life or one and done stories against nameless Foot Soldiers, human criminals/gangsters, or random monsters and aliens.

Mirage stories don't really have characters to use for other universes much.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 AM   #63
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

If ever IDW needed to be more Mirage, the solution would not be introducing "Mirage" characters or story plots.

What characterizes Mirage is a tone, a mood..., how a story is told rather than the story itself.
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #64
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Exactly, it's not so much the stories or the blood. It's just the depressing fact that the turtles are one of a kind and are destined to die alone. IDW already sailed that boat with all the other mutants running around. It's too late in the story to suddenly get all somber and depressing, though Casey's dad being a drunk and beating him was kinda Mirage-ish.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 AM   #65
mrmaczaps
Banned

What about the super hero group and the super hero/ff version of the Turtles from v2 of Tales? The Nick/Animated Mikey would love that... Could really show a big difference on take if the Animated Turtles met the Mirage Turtles.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #66
CyberCubed
Overlord

Let's go through Tales V. 2, since most of the core Mirage villains and characters are already in IDW. I'll go issue by issue, here's all the comics for reference:

http://thetechnodrome.com/comics/tales_vol_2/

Issue:

1. TMNT meet some dying worm/humanoid people. No real use for this in IDW
2. Splinter fights a Foot or ninja Mystic, in IDW
3. Shredder clone shark, unusable in IDW
4. Same as above it was a 2-parter
5. Leo is blinded by a Foot ninja
6. Cha Ocho's backstory, he has no real place in IDW since Jennika is there
7. Turtles fight werewolfs, no real place in IDW
8. Leatherhead issue, in IDW
9. Klunk's death
10. Jewish Golem, no point in IDW
11. Speed ninja's, no real point in IDW since we had similar characters
12. Shadow/Raph kill two perverts in Paris who kill teenage girls...yeah, no.
13. Time traveling Leo with an Ape god, as well as cat race of people. I don't see IDW using this.
14. Same as above
15. Casey races a ghost with a huge head, no
16. Don fights Jell-aliens that kill Utroms, too generic
17. Turtles fight giant bugs/roaches, again no real point
18. Don and an Utrom just go on an underwater aventure
19. Turtles fight the ghost of Oroku Nagi, he doesn't exist in IDW
20. Fish woman returns from Volume 2, no real point
21. Cow boy of Moo mesa crossover
22. Tang Shen's sister, can't be used in IDW because Tang Shen existed hundreds of years ago
23. Leatherhead again, evil Utroms.
24.T urtles find two children in robot suits from Pangea, not usable
25. Just a Foot soldier fight
26. Turtles fight videogame cheaters
27. April goes on a journey after finding out she's a drawing
28. Cha Ocho again
29. Styracadon story, not introduced in IDW
30. Giant worms/dream issue
31. Casey's fights a dream/evil version of himself
32. Savanti Romero who is in IDW
33. Shark Shredder returns, unusable
34. Hamato Yoshi's niece, not usable in IDW
35. Rat King's backstory in the Pantheon, already done
36. Gang war Foot story, in IDW
37. Casey makes up fake backstory for himself
38. Toddler Turtle story
39. Raph fights werewolfs...again
40. Future Raph story where he fights Foot
41. Future Leo story, kills Complete Carnage. Radical dies, these characters have no place in IDW
42. Turtles fight silly Utrom created robot
43. Cousin Sid returns, his character is pointless in IDW
44. Karai backstory, we're getting this differently
45. Turtles fight generic monster
46. A teen Foot Soldier story
47. Super Turtles, unless we get an alternate universe no point in IDW
48. The Decider...crap villain
49. Mr. Braunze...again forgettable character
50. Leatherhead on monster island like Hunger games, this is actually good to use
51. Turtles crossover with Gutwallow and fight monsters, not really usable
52. Cowboy of Moo messa crossover
53. Silly story about a toy
54. Fugitoid ponders if he exists in the robot body
55. Just a slice of life story
56. Hun is introduced, he's in IDW
57. Generic criminal story
58. Final Cowboy of Moo Mesa crossover
59. Gangwar told from the story of a journalist
60. Nobody comes back as a superhero, Angel is him in this 'verse
61. Turtles fight Mousers...again
62. Turtles fight a mutant bunny
63. Sequel to the Leatherhead on the monster island story
64. More gangwar stories
65. Turtles fight snow monsters created by Foot Mystic
66. Turtles free kidnapped dogs from criminals
67. Shadow's first day of school, she doesn't exist in IDW
68. Turtles save Robin from cancer, April's sister doesn't exist
69. Future Story with Shadow, she doesn't exist in IDW...yet
70. Another Return to New York story with Zog

So out of 70 issues from Tales, as you can see, there really isn't much to take and bring into IDW. The Turtles don't really fight important enemies in IDW, and the few interesting stores Tales does have involves the Future TMNT.

I think the issues with Leatherhead fighting in a Hunger Games scenario on a monster island is the most usable.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #67
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

12. God, that was a weird one...
17. Just Raphael, Donatello and Casey in this one.
42. Just Raphael in this one; Casey does most of the robot fighting

Interestingly enough, Glurin is kind of at the heart of 17 and 42, since he's the one who accidentally sent them to the bug dimension in the first place (combo of his being drunk and a cockroach). In 42, he designed the robot the way he did because he's a NERD who wanted to test Casey...who can't pronounce "Raphael" and blends the name with the others.

A lot of these feature turtles mostly on their own, or in duos.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
IDW has been pretty cartoon heavy for awhile lately:

Bishop, Phantoms, Darius from 4Kids; Darkwater, Krang, Dimension X from OT; Mutanimals, Dreadmon, Null, Maligna from Archie.

It feels like IDW has always been light on incorporated Mirage elements. I think the last thing we had that we could definitely point to was Donatello's death and cyborg resurrection back at #45-50? Or Utroms on an island on Earth in #56-58... Oh, and the Turtles taking over the Foot Clan.

Okay, so there has been SOME Mirage/Image influence. But it definitely feels like the least present influence of the various TMNT incarnations. What do you guys think?
That was my problem with the comic, basically. While you could point to a few minor things that basically seem Mirage, every story and plot point and teaser it just feels like the IDW comic is so excited to get to the next big Fred Wolf thing around the corner.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #69
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I think outside of Gosei Hattori, Radical, the battle nexus, complete carnage, and maybe a few other characters, most mirage story and characters are so context specific to the Mirage universe that using them elsewhere is difficult, at best. Shadow can't work here yet, and the vampires an monsters are so generic that you might as well make new ones. The question is; what story and characters would work from Mirage, in the universe that's already established and built up so far in IDW?
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The question is; what story and characters would work from Mirage, in the universe that's already established and built up so far in IDW?
As I said, I can see them having Leatherhead hunted by Mr. Marlin or other hunters, he was also in the 4kids episode. But I'd prefer the Hunger Games "island for survival" story from Tales for that.

And as said, most enemies from Mirage were just one-shot or nameless villains. The Turtles fought tons of random Foot Soldiers, some Foot Mystics, some regular criminals/gangsters, some generic one-shot aliens, and some monsters like werewolfs/vampires/Mummies/eyeball monsters/tentacle monsters/giant bugs, etc...that they fight in every TMNT universe anyway. Almost all this stuff is already done in IDW.

If people really want to see the IDW Turtles fight werewolves/vampires, etc, maybe they can make some weird monster arc then. Because other than that, there's not much else to take from Mirage.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #71
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I think outside of Gosei Hattori, Radical, the battle nexus, complete carnage, and maybe a few other characters, most mirage story and characters are so context specific to the Mirage universe that using them elsewhere is difficult, at best. Shadow can't work here yet, and the vampires an monsters are so generic that you might as well make new ones. The question is; what story and characters would work from Mirage, in the universe that's already established and built up so far in IDW?
Really, probably only the Battle Nexus. Or maybe a generic Marlin-style hunter. Klunk, of course.

I think Powder said it best; it's too late to go Mirage, as Mirage is more a tone and atmosphere than a sequence of events.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #72
miru
Mad Scientist

The only ones I can think of that are really desirable are Klunk and Chote, the latter mainly due to his figure way back. Cha Ocho’s has his role taken, but might possibly work with some tweaks. Maybe the Super Turtles or GoseiCo might be cool to see, but i’m not counting on those. Elder Oroku would also be an interesting choice.

EDIT: Forgot about Junkman and Terrorpin. They’d be good choices as well. Maybe combine Junkman with a bit of Deuximax as well.

Last edited by miru; 08-14-2018 at 08:36 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #73
AquaParade
Banned

I don’t know that they “need” more Mirage influence, but it would likely pull me back on board. I essentially stopped following monthly a few issues after #50. Seeing cartoon characters reimagined doesn’t typically do too much for me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #74
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I think it defiantly needs more Mirage influence.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #75
miru
Mad Scientist

Some little slapstick-reliant one-offs would be a nice diversion. I guess the Turtles going to exorcize some Oroku family ghosts, like in Tales, might work. Tang Amaya could be retooled as a more distant decendsnt of Shen, or even kept an ancestor and given a reincarnation (Venus, even.). Some more stories focused on standard foot soldiers and their point of view in the world could work, like how “Cold, Cold Ice” was. What if, the Turtles found out about the Mystic’s family?

And what if we got more “Soul’s Winter” stuff? Or even just have Animus featured somehow? And I agree on the battle island story being a cool idea. Perhaps link that to the Battle Nexus? Next time travel take could have Shadow Jones involved.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #76
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I think it defiantly needs more Mirage influence.
Can you clarify or given an example.

To each their own Aquaparade and that is what makes this franchise thrive. I want cartoon characters updated, expanded, and somewhat matured.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #77
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Some little slapstick-reliant one-offs would be a nice diversion. I guess the Turtles going to exorcize some Oroku family ghosts, like in Tales, might work. Tang Amaya could be retooled as a more distant decendsnt of Shen, or even kept an ancestor and given a reincarnation (Venus, even.).
Might have to be an ancestor...since Shen's descendants were all killed. Or just "relative", which isn't really the same as a descendant.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #78
pferreira
Foot Elite

The IDW comics doesn't need any influence. What it needs and has needed from the beginning is more originality!!!

The comic has always suffered from paying too many respects to former TMNT properties. Those interpretations are fine where they are, they don't need to be ransacked for ideas. The problem you get is then the comic itself lacks an identity because it's incorporating stuff like Bebop and Rocksteady or Krang when those belonged strictly to the FW iteration. The IDW comic has always needed more creativity to create its own identity so it can become 'the IDW comic'.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #79
bushido
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The IDW comics doesn't need any influence. What it needs and has needed from the beginning is more originality!!!

The comic has always suffered from paying too many respects to former TMNT properties. Those interpretations are fine where they are, they don't need to be ransacked for ideas. The problem you get is then the comic itself lacks an identity because it's incorporating stuff like Bebop and Rocksteady or Krang when those belonged strictly to the FW iteration. The IDW comic has always needed more creativity to create its own identity so it can become 'the IDW comic'.
I think exactly the same thing!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #80
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

I agree with this as well. I do have to admit though, the way IDW is handling it, it just works for the most part. I’m not sure why they don’t include more of their own originality because a lot of it they do include is pretty good. Just look at Old Hob. He seems to be a fan favorite even though he’s just a supporting character.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote