The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you rich?
Yes I am very rich 1 5.56%
I am not rich but pretty well off 7 38.89%
I make average income 6 33.33%
No I am dirt poor 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

According to the official census as of 2019 the average income in the U.S. is nearly $69,000 a year.

Quote:
Median household income was $68,703 in 2019, an increase of 6.8 percent from the 2018 median of $64,324 (Figure 1 and Table A-1).
https://www.census.gov/library/publi...o/p60-270.html

It's probably $70,000 a year now in 2020, so anyone who making less than 70k a year is considered a below average income. You're basically poor.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #62
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
When my friends are kind, I feel rich.

Otherwise, I'm f**ked.
Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #63
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
According to the official census as of 2019 the average income in the U.S. is nearly $69,000 a year.

It's probably $70,000 a year now in 2020, so anyone who making less than 70k a year is considered a below average income. You're basically poor.
According to both the IMF and the World Bank... The global extreme poverty rate fell to 9.2 percent in 2017, from 10.1 percent in 2015. That is equivalent to 689 million people living on less than $1.90 a day. At higher poverty lines, 24.1 percent of the world lived on less than $3.20 a day and 43.6 percent on less than $5.50 a day in 2017.

I know no Americans personally who make AT or more than 70K a year. It's why so many are being squeezed into homelessness or the lower classes.

The problem is... at least in the US, people go into debt for SH*T they dont need like a new car, 5 bedroom house etc. It's less about personal need and more about appearing to others that your status is important!

It's disgusting!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #64
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

Then most people who don't live in NYC or California are "poor". Those two extremes skew the data immensely for the entire country.

Most single people earn below 50 grand. Many people WAY below. And even most married people top out around 50.

Even in the cities, where people earn substantially more, the cost of living is so high that you can be making 70 grand a year and living in a tiny apartment. Which means you're hardly "rich".

It's all relative. But if you leave out NYC and California I think the "true" household average income is around 50, or 25/30 per person. MOST people don't have "rich person jobs", they work retail or food service.

"Average" is relative and doesn't tell the full story. NJ is very expensive and most individuals I know, even in the nicer areas like where I am, only make around 40 grand or less. Yes, SOME married couples pull in more but not always. When your mortgage is $1500 a month and your property taxes are over ten grand a year, you can make a lot of money and STILL just barely scrape by. That's life.

This thread is rapidly turning into "waving my good luck in other peoples' faces" and it's very vulgar. Because if you earn a lot of money, it really just means you're lucky, for a LOT of reasons, and nothing else. Lucky to live in an area where high-paying jobs are prevalent, lucky to not have kids or a mooching family, lucky to not have any major health issues... and so on.

That's all any of it means. That you were lucky. Well, most people aren't.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 11-11-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

I live in New York and you basically have to make close to $100,000 a year just to have a single bedroom apartment here...unless you live in the poor neighborhoods with all the gangs in Harlem or the drug dealers.

Of course I don't make much at all, but in my case I'm lucky. But yeah, if you make less than $70-$100k in NY, you're basically looked down upon here and considered poor.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #66
Leo656
The Franchise

Among the many, many reasons I've always hated New York and everyone who lives there.

It's nothing but a haven for elitist scumbags who think a studio apartment should cost two grand a month. And they look down on everyone else. It's disgusting.

I can't wait for the real-life "Purge" to happen, because NYC is absolutely gonna be hit first and it'll be a glorious thing to see.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #67
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Maybe we shouldnt look down on people who dont have access to lots of $$$. Just my crazy radical leftist ideas leaking out again! Sorry for being so... humane!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #68
Leo656
The Franchise

Now that's crazy talk.

If you weren't born into a wealthy family who paid your way through school and lived in an area nice enough so that good jobs were prevalent and your family allowed you to live at home rent-free until you landed on your feet, well then you just plain don't WANT to be successful, that's all THAT means.

Like seriously, more than half of any person's financial success has to do with how well-off their PARENTS were. Where you lived growing up into young adulthood and whether or not your family would be there to support you if anything bad happened are proven to be HUGE factors in whether or not any individual ends up "successful". It's been determined time and time and time again. If your parents were poor and you grew up in a sh*tty area, then odds are good that you in turn aren't going to do so well. Because you won't have the "safety net" that is required in order for a person to take the big risks inherent in eventually getting those high-paying jobs, moving to a nicer area, what have you.

MOST people aren't born to people of means. MOST people can't move back home if they get evicted, lose a job or have a devastating health issue. MOST people can't even go to college. Lots of people have the best of intentions and a "plan" that seems rock-solid, and they still live, work, and die less than 100 miles from where they grew up and never end up "making it" because they were trapped before they were born. That's reality for MOST people.

MOST people aren't lucky. And that's all having a lot of money means. That you were lucky. Not that you "worked harder", not that you "saved better", not that you were "smarter" or did things any better than anyone else.

It means you were lucky enough to be born into privilege and aware enough not to f*ck it up once you had autonomy.

And that's ALL it means.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #69
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Now that's crazy talk.

If you weren't born into a wealthy family who paid your way through school and lived in an area nice enough so that good jobs were prevalent and your family allowed you to live at home rent-free until you landed on your feet, well then you just plain don't WANT to be successful, that's all THAT means.

Like seriously, more than half of any person's financial success has to do with how well-off their PARENTS were. Where you lived growing up into young adulthood and whether or not your family would be there to support you if anything bad happened are proven to be HUGE factors in whether or not any individual ends up "successful". It's been determined time and time and time again. If your parents were poor and you grew up in a sh*tty area, then odds are good that you in turn aren't going to do so well. Because you won't have the "safety net" that is required in order for a person to take the big risks inherent in eventually getting those high-paying jobs, moving to a nicer area, what have you.

MOST people aren't born to people of means. MOST people can't move back home if they get evicted, lose a job or have a devastating health issue. MOST people can't even go to college. Lots of people have the best of intentions and a "plan" that seems rock-solid, and they still live, work, and die less than 100 miles from where they grew up and never end up "making it" because they were trapped before they were born. That's reality for MOST people.

MOST people aren't lucky. And that's all having a lot of money means. That you were lucky. Not that you "worked harder", not that you "saved better", not that you were "smarter" or did things any better than anyone else.

It means you were lucky enough to be born into privilege and aware enough not to f*ck it up once you had autonomy.

And that's ALL it means.
Nailed it! And yet, most people (including some here, i'll bet) will look down on those below them. For nothing other than lack of money, means or opportunity. Yup. That's actually less common in not-American-countries because they actually have safety nets that they pay for via taxes. But yeah, you are very right!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #70
nylemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Now that's crazy talk.

And that's ALL it means.
I think you get the point here. Some people are too busy in involving sh*tty things and they don't even get a chance to "learn harder" so they can get a decent well paid job.

And the poverty situation plays a big role that make people short sighted, they don't use the fortune properly. People are mostly have average IQ, the smartness and stupidness is the result not the because of.

There is a lot of articles about this topic, it's a big social science issue.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #71
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's crazy, I hear about people making $120,000-170,000 a year here and it's unbelieveable, I won't see that kind of money in about 10 years.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #72
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It's crazy, I hear about people making $120,000-170,000 a year here and it's unbelieveable, I won't see that kind of money in about 10 years.
i wont see that kind of money ever... unless i got some rich uncle who croaks that i dont know about!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #73
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
i wont see that kind of money ever... unless i got some rich uncle who croaks that i dont know about!
We should all have one of those.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #74
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's called knowing how to save, you'd be surprised how much money you save by cutting out stuff you don't need. $15 for a movie is ridiculous and those type of expenses add up. Cubed is just good at personal finances and clearly likes investigating his money which will only be make him more money.

The amount of money I've saved this year alone has incremented my financial security. Just be smart with money.
I do fine. Have all I need. Able to save every month, have an ira and 401 k. And emergency funds. Almost done w student loans and able to do most of what I want. Have a good job, went to school forever to do it
Got a family
I won’t list what I do or make but I do fine.
All that could change for anyone including myself. Just appreciate and hope I can continue to do this for a while
Old 11-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #75
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

"According to Bankrate, only 39% of Americans have enough cash on hand to cover a $1,000 emergency. If you haven’t started building your cushion yet, there’s no better time than the present.

Ideal Emergency Fund by Age
Your emergency fund should contain 3 to 6 months’ worth of expenses. Considering that the average 25 to 34 year old spends $4,705 each month…

By Age... Ideal Savings Balance*
30 $14,115 to $28,230
40 $17,799 to $35,599
50 $18,846 to $37,693
60 $16,554 to $33,108
70 $14,067 to $28,134
80 $10,794 to $21,588
*The amount you should save will vary, based upon your monthly expenses.

The ideal size of your emergency fund will likely fluctuate throughout your life based upon your monthly expenses. Rule of thumb? Aim to have at least three to six months’ worth of expenses set aside."

source: https://www.ally.com/do-it-right/mon...5471;284583871
Old 11-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #76
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.
http://i.imgur.com/YoIqyLa.gif
"To my big brother George, the richest man in town."

Love that movie. Have to watch it sometime this season.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
"According to Bankrate, only 39% of Americans have enough cash on hand to cover a $1,000 emergency. If you haven’t started building your cushion yet, there’s no better time than the present.
Ideally you should always have at least $5000 saved up for any reason. That's not too much and not too little. Even $5,000 these days would barely carry you through a month anyway.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #78
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Ideally you should always have at least $5000 saved up for any reason. That's not too much and not too little. Even $5,000 these days would barely carry you through a month anyway.
in my town, 5K is at least enough for at least 3 month's rent, groceries, insurance payments, gas for a car, and 3 months electric bills.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #79
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
in my town, 5K is at least enough for at least 3 month's rent, groceries, insurance payments, gas for a car, and 3 months electric bills.
Wish this were the case here
Would be awesome
Old 11-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #80
Leo656
The Franchise

The only people around here who have ANY money in the bank are people in their 60s who worked six-figure jobs and had a 401K. Everybody else is just getting by. Like maybe they have five grand or less in the bank but almost nobody I know personally has more than that. Nobody even has a "retirement fund" anymore.

NJ is rough. Property taxes f*cking murder you. And then rich people from NY move down here because it's "cheaper" and make everything worse for the people who are already here. Because THEY can pay above market price for a house and drive the market up, and suddenly houses that were like two hundred grand are now five hundred grand, or more, and property taxes double or triple.

Most everyone from NJ moves to the Carolinas when they get old, because for the same money you spend up here to just scrape by, down there you can live like a king. Problem is, no good jobs down there, so you HAVE to pretty much be ready to retire or kick off or else it does no good. Like my wife's family is all going down there but I'm not even 40 yet, I mean I'm not working right now but I hope to be soon, but you don't move to the Carolinas for work, you move there to retire. If you NEED to work, well... whole different story. AND, I expect that over the next 15 year or so, it'll have the same effect that the NY'ers who move to NJ already have; all the NJ people moving South will drive the cost of living up, and then the people who already live there will have to uproot and leave, but then where are they gonna go? Only Florida, really, and Florida is a toilet.

It's tough. The only standard is "Rich people ruin everything for the Not-Rich people." And that's true no matter where you go.