Old 07-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
1. Mirage.
2. The four movies.
3. Fred Wolf series.

Everything else is some kind of weird jambalaya mix-and-mash of the above. There hasn't really been anything distinctly unique beyond these three.

Props to Archie, though. They steered their own ship.
Aren't the 90's movies "jambalaya mix-and-mash"?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Aren't the 90's movies "jambalaya mix-and-mash"?
I guess so. Part 1 and 4, anyway. 2 and 3 was just "mash"... mashing of new, lame stuff.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #23
Optimus Primer
Foot Soldier

Ok, here's my list. I haven't read that much Mirage, but I do have some Mirage waiting to be read, so my list might change in the future. Also Image won't be on this list, because I haven't read it.

1. Nick (Personal favorite, love the art style and chemistry between brothers and Splinter, as well as VAs)
2. IDW
3. Original Movies
4. Mirage
5. 2k3
6. OotS
7. PD #1
8. FW
9. Archie (Read one issue, so this placement is temporary)
10. NM
Optimus Primer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #24
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
1. Mirage.
2. The four movies.
3. Fred Wolf series.

Everything else is some kind of weird jambalaya mix-and-mash of the above. There hasn't really been anything distinctly unique beyond these three.

Props to Archie, though. They steered their own ship.
Not even IDW?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Not even IDW?
That's like the biggest mix-and-masher of all.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I guess so. Part 1 and 4, anyway. 2 and 3 was just "mash"... mashing of new, lame stuff.
Don't you think the original live-action films are amalgamations of the early Mirage and Fred Wolf universes?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 AM   #27
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Not even IDW?
IDW is the least original incarnation of them all. It's a runner up to Nick in terms of "cramming the most sh*t possible".

I enjoy IDW, a lot actually- but there's no reason why it would fit within Andrew's criteria.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #28
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Don't you think the original live-action films are amalgamations of the early Mirage and Fred Wolf universes?
He already said that about II and III.

Except for the turtles eating pizza for every meal, the rainbow bandanas, and April being a reporter in the first one, it's almost a movie adaptation of the early issues of Mirage. The few adaptations/adoptions of Fred Wolf motifs are really just so it wouldn't be completely out of context. I'm sure a lot of people still walked away perplexed at how dark it was at times. Had they gone with red bandanas and done the Baxter Mouser story, it would have been so out of context that it might have bombed at the box office. There's no Krang, or B & R or Splinter who used to be a human, or Casey Jones who talks like Dirty Harry.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
He already said that about II and III.

Except for the turtles eating pizza for every meal, the rainbow bandanas, and April being a reporter in the first one, it's almost a movie adaptation of the early issues of Mirage. The few adaptations/adoptions of Fred Wolf motifs are really just so it wouldn't be completely out of context. I'm sure a lot of people still walked away perplexed at how dark it was at times.
It only got anything approaching dark a couple times. Splinter getting beat, Tatsu killing-not-killing that guy, and Shredder getting grinded. All of the actual fights are treated like slapstick comedy.

Quote:
Had they gone with red bandanas and done the Baxter Mouser story, it would have been so out of context that it might have bombed at the box office.
We'll never know. Probably would have done fine.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

As much as I do love IDW, it really is, "cramming everything but the kitchen sink" into one series. They literally take almost anything from past series and combine it into one. Almost every major storyline or plotline in IDW is just a new version of an old story.

The only completely new elements was the reincarnation angle, the Pantheon (even if there was a Mirage Pantheon, it was only 1 issue), and I guess Old Hob's character and motives.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #31
snake
Disgusting

IDW would introduce the kitchen sink in a later arc.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #32
joshvox
Random Punk

Thought I'd make my first post here a reply to this topic. Thanks for having me.

#1 Mirage Volume One. Some of the best story lines I've ever seen in any sort of fiction.

#2 IDW. Some lows, but so many highs.

#3 1990 Movie. I still find it amazing that we got a movie of this quality. Especially considering the follow-ups.

#4 FW. A lot of fun and a lot of garbage. But I might not be a fan today without it.

#5 Nick. Waaay too many monster of the weeks, but I am often pleasantly surprised by the quality of this show.

#6 TMNT movie. Such an odd choice for a movie but I liked it.

#7 All other movies. Some good memories of Ooze and III, but they are just poor efforts. I will watch the Bay movies occasionally, but Peter Laird says they aren't really ninja turtle movies and I think he'd know.

I'm behind on cartoons so I haven't seen much of the 4kids show yet. Finishing up Nick first. Never seen next mutation. I'd like to read the Image books and more of the other volumes of the comics.
joshvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #33
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Let's see:

1: Fred Wolf Series/4kids Series--I have to rank these two together because honestly, I like them both about the same and they are the version I revisit the most. I like the characterization in the Fred Wolf Series and I'm fond of the wacky out-there adventures but I also love the more epic and darker tales in the 4kids series. I have my gripes with each series but I also have my joys so they are tied in my mind.

2: Original Movies 1-3--I probably watch Movie 2 the most but I love Movie 1 and Movie 3 as well. If I HAD to rank the movies, the first one is probably the best and 2 and 3 I would tie. Yes, 3 has its problem but I do enjoy it, especially since Mike gets a bit of a character arc in it.

3: Archie--Still catching up on some of these but these really took what I loved about the Fred Wolf series and evolved it into a more mature storyline, though without getting TOO dark. It introduced some great characters and I can't wait to get the rest of it.

4: TMNT--This just doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the movies so I rank it by itself. I love the animation here but unless you're Raph or Leo, you're kinda pushed to the sidelines which I never like. Likewise, I felt Leo came off as a pompous ass in this one.

5: NICK Series--I'm iffy on the Nick series. Some episodes are amazing but some are just down right horrible. I'm still not a fan of the animation style though I've gotten used to it. Season 5 has actually been my favorite season thus far. The way they write Mike in this series just bothers me, given he's my favorite.

6: IDW--I've only read a little of these but I did like the mixed elements. However, it almost works to its disadvantage at times where the stories almost feel crowded. However, since I have only read a few of these, this might change as I read more.

7: PD Movies--I definitely prefer the second one. I view these as an interesting idea that could have been done well had they had better writers. There is some interesting "starting" points here and I have to admit, there were a few scenes in the second one that I really enjoyed. First one, I liked once the turtles were introduced. I still can't see Megan Fox as April O'Neil. That's not April; that Megan Fox.

8: COOTS/Next Mutation-- COOTS is utterly cheesy but you know, I don't mind a bit of cheese now and then. It's not something I would watch routinely but given how high the turtle mania was when it came out, I can forgive it. And some of those songs will stick in my head. Next Mutation I give points for having some interesting ideas that just weren't executed well.

9: Mirage--Okay, first off, no, I don't think Mirage is bad. It has some great storylines and obviously, it started everything but it just isn't for me. I really can't even tell you why. It's just never sucked me in like the other incarnations have.

I've never read Image so I can't give any impression on that.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #34
Powder
So tired of this place

There should be a special prison for the people who rank Mirage lower than the Platinum Dunes movies.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #35
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
There should be a special prison for the people who rank Mirage lower than the Platinum Dunes movies.
Yes and in said prison this would be the standard rehabilitation program. Only I couldn't find bayturtles so bayformers will have to suffice.

TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 AM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
Let's see:

1: Fred Wolf Series/4kids Series--I have to rank these two together because honestly, I like them both about the same and they are the version I revisit the most. I like the characterization in the Fred Wolf Series and I'm fond of the wacky out-there adventures but I also love the more epic and darker tales in the 4kids series. I have my gripes with each series but I also have my joys so they are tied in my mind.

2: Original Movies 1-3--I probably watch Movie 2 the most but I love Movie 1 and Movie 3 as well. If I HAD to rank the movies, the first one is probably the best and 2 and 3 I would tie. Yes, 3 has its problem but I do enjoy it, especially since Mike gets a bit of a character arc in it.

3: Archie--Still catching up on some of these but these really took what I loved about the Fred Wolf series and evolved it into a more mature storyline, though without getting TOO dark. It introduced some great characters and I can't wait to get the rest of it.

4: TMNT--This just doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the movies so I rank it by itself. I love the animation here but unless you're Raph or Leo, you're kinda pushed to the sidelines which I never like. Likewise, I felt Leo came off as a pompous ass in this one.

5: NICK Series--I'm iffy on the Nick series. Some episodes are amazing but some are just down right horrible. I'm still not a fan of the animation style though I've gotten used to it. Season 5 has actually been my favorite season thus far. The way they write Mike in this series just bothers me, given he's my favorite.

6: IDW--I've only read a little of these but I did like the mixed elements. However, it almost works to its disadvantage at times where the stories almost feel crowded. However, since I have only read a few of these, this might change as I read more.

7: PD Movies--I definitely prefer the second one. I view these as an interesting idea that could have been done well had they had better writers. There is some interesting "starting" points here and I have to admit, there were a few scenes in the second one that I really enjoyed. First one, I liked once the turtles were introduced. I still can't see Megan Fox as April O'Neil. That's not April; that Megan Fox.

8: COOTS/Next Mutation-- COOTS is utterly cheesy but you know, I don't mind a bit of cheese now and then. It's not something I would watch routinely but given how high the turtle mania was when it came out, I can forgive it. And some of those songs will stick in my head. Next Mutation I give points for having some interesting ideas that just weren't executed well.

9: Mirage--Okay, first off, no, I don't think Mirage is bad. It has some great storylines and obviously, it started everything but it just isn't for me. I really can't even tell you why. It's just never sucked me in like the other incarnations have.

I've never read Image so I can't give any impression on that.
Mirage below the stage show, Next Mutation and the Platinum Dunes movies, while IDW's comics rank right above them but below the Archie comic and literally all of the other movies...

...That's an unusual opinion to say the least, I know the Archie comic has it's defenders but it's odd to see someone rank it (along with TMNT III and the PD movies) higher than the two more critically acclaimed comics...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

The best issues of Mirage are the best of anything, but the rest of Mirage is just kinda there. As I said, the second volume of Tales has 70 issues and less than half of them are really memorable or important. Volume 2 and 4 also stretched out simple plotlines over multiple issues instead of telling a condensed story in half the time.

Still nothing beats Mirage #1-11, Return to New York, or City at War.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #38
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Well, I recognize my opinion is unusual. Though, I would like to reinterate that I ranked them based on personal enjoyment and how often I revisit them and not necessarily on which ones had the better plot/characters etc. For a franchise, if I'm ranking best to least best, that's generally how I rank it--rewatch/reread value.

I completely agree that Mirage has some of the best storylines but for whatever reason, I could never get into it. I'm not sure if it's the writing style or the tone or what but I just couldn't enjoy it as much as the others. It may be the overall buttersweetness of it; I've never been a fan of realistically sad endings.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #39
pferreira
Foot Elite

Not my personal favourites list, being objective:

Mirage (bar maybe Volume 3)
Fred Wolf cartoon
1990 movie
1991 movie
2003 cartoon
Archie
2016 movie
2007 movie
1993 movie
2014 movie
Next Mutation
Volume 3

Haven't really seen the Nick series or read IDW or Dreamwave enough so can't comment on those.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #40
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

This is super difficult! But I'll give it a try.

1) Mirage Volume 1, at least when it was at its best.
2) 1990 movie. I know it was pretty goofy, but it cemented the TMNT as something more than a goofy series with no character development into my childhood mind. It introduced me, and a generation of kids, to a deeper darker side of the Turtles.
3) 2003 series. Particularly when it stopped adapting Mirage issues and became its own thing.
4) IDW. I love IDW but the Nickelodeon influence on the character designs and the no-kill policy really hurts it. I sweat the Turtles do sometimes kill on the Nick show? Off screen? But I guess we can't have that.
5) Image. Although I hated the crossovers and the sexism and the cavalier Turtle personalities of the earlier issues, the series got really good at character development for the Turtles as it went.
6) Mirage Vol. 2 & 4. Decompressed character driven storytelling that unfortunately never went anywhere, but was pretty good while it lasted.
7) Nick cartoon. The voice acting is great, some plot lines are awesome, but it gets bogged down with uninspired ideas. The first season was the best although I did not like Raph's sociopathic tendencies.
8 ) Fred Wolf cartoon, for bringing the a turtles to so many people. I find it really boring and unwatchable now, though.
9) Archie? I wasn't a huge fan as I read it only as an adult. It's too preachy. The Dreamland thing was awesome but even it was preachy. The series was the Don and Raph show. However, the art was awesome, especially Chris Allen's iconic stuff.
10) Secret of the Ooze and the third movie. Both are enjoyable but the Secret of the Ooze had Vanilla Ice and the third movie had **** suits.
11) Next mutation I guess?
12) TMNT. Really awful except the animation, which was amazing.
13) PD movies.
14) Turtle Christmas, Out of their shells, and similar nonsense
15) Dreamwave
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote