The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #21
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I like McLaren's remix of Blue Danube. It was fun for a trailer, but Barron's idea of McLaren composing an entire score in that style is one I'm glad didn't come to fruition. Du Prez's score is atmospheric, emotional, upbeat, intense, and hits all the right notes. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
I agree with you about how well it works. The intro song is somehow a reference to the cartoon that sounds nothing like the cartoon theme song. There are plenty parts where it’s perfect like the rooftop battle. I would still have loved to hear more of McLaren’s music in the mix though.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:

Also, Shout Factory just announced they were releasing Memoirs of an Invisible Man and In the Mouth of Madness and I'm pretty sure New Line/Warner Bros. legitimately owns those titles. Maybe the chances of them doing a TMNT release has gotten bigger?
They always do such a great job with their remasters. For the videophiles on this forum, do you foresee any substantial improvements to the visual quality of the 1990 film with a modern remastering job compared to whatever they did in 2009 for the initial BD release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #23
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
They always do such a great job with their remasters. For the videophiles on this forum, do you foresee any substantial improvements to the visual quality of the 1990 film with a modern remastering job compared to whatever they did in 2009 for the initial BD release?
The BD was a pretty awesome transfer. No noise reduction-- it's a naturally grainy film, so this was nice. Hopefully the source was 4K and that can be used on subsequent releases.

4K transfer, add the VHS-sourced Menke/Barron cut, commission the Turtle Power doc producers to go nuts on content... my heart is going pitter patter.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
A 4K transfer might become a selling point for them wanting to remaster it.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
AquaParade
Banned

A re-master is one thing. Deleted scenes, commentary...I'd be there day one with a purchase and take the night off to watch it with dinner. It'd be great.

But a director's cut? That's the sort of thing my entertainment-dreams are made of. To let Steve Baron back in the editing room, place in the missing pieces from the cutting room floor, a few touch-ups to the effects, etc.
To have a film that not only do I love, but am extremely nostalgic for be extended?
Seems too good to be true.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

A re-master is one thing. Deleted scenes, commentary...I'd be there day one with a purchase and take the night off to watch it with dinner. It'd be great.

But a director's cut? That's the sort of thing my entertainment-dreams are made of. To let Steve Baron back in the editing room, place in the missing pieces from the cutting room floor, a few touch-ups to the effects, etc.
To have a film that not only do I love, but am extremely nostalgic for be extended?
Seems too good to be true.

It's fun to think of the cool packaging they could do for this. How cool would a collector's edition, packaged with one small-scale Neca TMNT figure be?
Of course, that's hardly viable given the costs and legal-work it would involve.
Just a fun thought.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
To let Steve Baron back in the editing room, place in the missing pieces from the cutting room floor, a few touch-ups to the effects, etc.
Of course, that's hardly viable given the costs and legal-work it would involve.
Just a fun thought.
Scanning the original film elements would be super cost prohibitive, but Barron and Menke's edit exists on VHS. It's not out of the realm of possibility for this to make it's way on to an official release.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #28
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

I've read in several places that the original theatrical film had a lot of the deleted scenes, and alternate ending but were removed when released on vhs.

I saw the movie as a kid in theaters but I was 6 at the time. Wouldn't there be 35 film reels out there with the original version? Maybe they could create a transfer from those and do an official release that way.
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #29
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgeoff View Post
I've read in several places that the original theatrical film had a lot of the deleted scenes, and alternate ending but were removed when released on vhs.

I saw the movie as a kid in theaters but I was 6 at the time. Wouldn't there be 35 film reels out there with the original version? Maybe they could create a transfer from those and do an official release that way.
They have an alternate ending and some deleted scenes, but the alternate ending was never used in the theatrical release or the home video release. I guess there are usually edits done between those two things for most films, but the deleted scenes were not in either.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #30
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgeoff View Post

Any sources on that, G? I've read a few rumors, but nothing ever solid.

From what I understand, Barron and Menke were let go once their rough cut was delivered to Golden Harvest, and that's when a bulk of the material was cut. From there, GH brought in another edit team, recut the film based on the direction to make it lighter, then hired DuPrez for the score and filled out the SBK music.

I would doubt that finished deleted scenes were ever included on prints, but you never know! Especially as low budget as GH was at the time-- I'm guessing they struck as few prints as possible. Was there even a test screening process on the movie? It's possible an early version got into circulation that way, I guess.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #31
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

There is some truth to this. The original UK version had some bits extended to compensate for the removal of Mikey's nunchucks. This is most noticeable during the fight at April's apartment. I recommend comparing this version of the scene to Sally Menke's superior version. It's very educational.

Wasn't the extended training sequence was rumored to be in the release prints? I think that was just another myth, like the alleged shot of the T-Rex bursting through the wall in Jurassic Park.

EDIT: There used to be a better upload of this, but here's the UK version of the apartment fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JktCccQlvmU

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 06-06-2018 at 05:16 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #32
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

A few clips here and there, but no full scenes.

Ghostbusters II is rumored to have had a few test screening prints released into theaters with full deleted scenes.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
A few clips here and there, but no full scenes.

Ghostbusters II is rumored to have had a few test screening prints released into theaters with full deleted scenes.
Over at Ghostbusters Fans to this day there's still users coming in saying they've seen an alternate cut of the movie either at the cinema or shown on British TV.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #34
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

If such a thing exist, I would love to see it.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #35
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
From what I remember, people claim that the scene with Louis hunting Slimer and the deleted Liberty Island ceremony were in their versions. I also remember a rumor that Slimer flew by the Statue of Liberty in the theatrical cut, something I am not sure ever existed in the film.

I personally think people are misremembering. The deleted scenes were included in the tie in comics, storybooks, junior novelizations, and trading cards. It's possible that people remember seeing these scenes somewhere, but don't remember where they saw them, and just assume they saw them in theaters.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #36
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I personally think people are misremembering. The deleted scenes were included in the tie in comics, storybooks, junior novelizations, and trading cards. It's possible that people remember seeing these scenes somewhere, but don't remember where they saw them, and just assume they saw them in theaters.
There were also some shots of the finished comped FX in Cinefex of Louis vs Slimer. I'm with you on the misremembering. I should be able to 110% confirm pretty soon.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #37
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

If this makes it to Kickstarter or somewhere similar, consider me a supporter. I would love to see a director's cut with solid bonus material. Give us the deleted scenes, the alternate ending, a commentary track from Steve Barron (and the writers?), and maybe featurettes on the costumes, actors, production, etc.

That may be a bit much to ask, but it would be a wonder to see!
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #38
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
There were also some shots of the finished comped FX in Cinefex of Louis vs Slimer. I'm with you on the misremembering. I should be able to 110% confirm pretty soon.
My interest is piqued

Oh yes, I forgot about that. I actually have scans from that article. I love that magazine. It's a great resource for research and writing articles, and is a great source for information regarding deleted scenes. A good example is Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #39
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I ended up getting banned from GB Fans for sticking up for someone who says they remembered an alternate cut of the movie would you believe?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #40
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I ended up getting banned from GB Fans for sticking up for someone who says they remembered an alternate cut of the movie would you believe?
I used to see heated battles of the mythic JURASSIC PARK T-Rex shot I mentioned earlier. I honestly think it's misremembering, either from a mental image they had when watching the film or from The Lost World teaser poster, which had the Rex breaking through a wall. But some people swear up and down that shot was there. Some even claim to have seen a version that was 10 minutes longer, with deleted scenes.

Some also claim that Luke made two attempts to throw the rope in the chasm on, missing the first time and trying again. Allegedly, it was on one of the theatrical prints of STAR WARS when it was released.

I myself remember a shot in BATMAN RETURNS that I'm sure never existed, of Catwoman finding her whip in the Schreck department store and grabbing it off a rack.