The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-23-2023, 08:03 PM   #21
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

This is the best news I've heard since either the Batman crossover or The Last Ronin's existence! I hope they don't screw this up! *fingers crossed*
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:15 PM   #22
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Honestly, I've no confidence in the writing of most modern AAA games.

Hope we never see some crap writing like TLOU2. Like "When Mikey was about to kill Hiroto, he suddenly recalled the past of his family, so he gave up killing Hiroto. Because revenge is hollow and bad."
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:34 PM   #23
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

I mean last ronin is completed so they will adapt the series into a full game. Plus we have a prequel that is releasing now and an upcoming sequel series so if they get completed we can get them into games.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLabRat View Post
Hope we never see some crap writing like TLOU2. Like "When Mikey was about to kill Hiroto, he suddenly recalled the past of his family, so he gave up killing Hiroto. Because revenge is hollow and bad."
Ehhh... TLOU2 is a bit different in that way. I don't like a lot of the choices or directions they went with things or the boxes they felt compelled to check but I can't deny that was quality writing the whole way. And Ellie wasn't raised to be a killer ninja from near birth.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:28 PM   #25
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

So would be the studio you would all trust to work and do actual justice on this game?
Old 03-23-2023, 09:45 PM   #26
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
"there are opportunities for multiple TMNT games aimed at both young and more mature age groups, and that Paramount can take “multiple approaches [to the franchise], and not dial back to make the game something it shouldn’t be”
That caught my eye, too. This is amazing news. On a conceptual level, this is exactly what I hoped would happen. If done right, this could be something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
So would be the studio you would all trust to work and do actual justice on this game?
Sloclap's Sifu from last year was basically a TLR game but as a human instead of a turtle. The combat itself was surprisingly challenging and fun. Them being an indie studio, I could see Paramount offering Sloclap this and I think they could handle it really well.

I know they bungled the last one and they seem to be distancing themselves from IP work now, but I'd be good with PlatinumGames taking another whack at it. Capcom would be a fairly respectable choice too, though they're a bigger studio. I doubt Paramount's going to go after higher-profile studios for a project like this, especially since working with a smaller studio paid so well with Shredder's Revenge. Not sure if I'd like to be wrong on this or not, given the state of AAA games.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:29 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
No, “TLR 2 “ has already been confirmed.

It’s the best selling book IDW has ever made. It’s not going away even if IDW collapses. The book is a best seller.
If it's about those new set of Turtles, it's going to bomb fast. The Last Ronin isn't a series you can keep going on forever. It was meant to tell a simple story and then end (which is why Kevin/Peter conceived it as a one-off), and the prequel comic is already pushing it. Keeping this going is just IDW trying to make as much money off it as they can but it can only go so far.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #28
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

From what I'm seeing so far, the sales of the newest iteration of The Last Ronin have been super strong as well. Seems like this is a TMNT brand that's doing well as a whole.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:28 AM   #29
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Not sure how I missed this thread! Sorry about making the other one,

But yah I don’t want to get my hopes up TOO much for this but… when was the last time a Tmnt game was AAA? Snes era? Really hoping they get a good developer for this. In my brain I immediately thought it would be cool if insomniac could make it but… obviously not happening

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:08 AM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If it's about those new set of Turtles, it's going to bomb fast. The Last Ronin isn't a series you can keep going on forever. It was meant to tell a simple story and then end (which is why Kevin/Peter conceived it as a one-off), and the prequel comic is already pushing it. Keeping this going is just IDW trying to make as much money off it as they can but it can only go so far.
The prequel book has been selling very well. The sequel will sell even better, most likely. This seems to be a book that jumps around the timeline, so I don’t see any reason it needs to stop.

It’s sales are stronger than the ongoing, the original tmnt are still popping up in the book quite frequently, and Kevin is super passionate about it. I don’t see it going away anytime soon. Especially because the delays alone will drag it out another four years .

But again, even if the series ends, the hardcover will still be selling copies. It’s an evergreen book now. When people ask for TMNT recommendations, TLR will be constantly listed in the future. It’s pretty safe at this point.

Last edited by AquaParade; 03-24-2023 at 09:20 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

I can't help but feel a game built on the Arkham Asylum platform might be more fitting than a God of War/Lords of Shadow style one.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:16 PM   #32
grizzgolf
Random Punk

I can’t wait!!!!
grizzgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:06 PM   #33
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I can't help but feel a game built on the Arkham Asylum platform might be more fitting than a God of War/Lords of Shadow style one.
Right? I was scratching my head when I heard the God of War comparison too
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #34
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I’ll be listening to “Live and Learn” during the final battle between Michelangelo and Hiroto:

Brings back good memories: my brother trying to beat the final boss 50 times on SA2, and then I beat it on my first try.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:46 AM   #35
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
An Arkham style game is what I wanted for TMNT for the longest time. Still, the fact that this is a thing makes me excited. A triple-A TMNT game? Sign me up!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:17 AM   #36
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Incredibly exciting news! I've never played any of the older God of War games, but I've played some of the "reboot" game. It's a good game, no doubt, but kinda linear. I certainly hope the TLR game will be more of an open world that embraces the ninja/stealth-side of TMNT. Either way though, super stoked for this and hopefully we'll get a bit more information soon. I pray to the game gods that this ends up good!
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #37
AquaParade
Banned

I wouldn't read too much into the GOW comment. It's probably just meant to convey that this is a AAA game, with high production budget and a focus on story/atmosphere.

This is pretty much the case for any modern AAA action/adventure game, whether that lean towards God of War, Elden Ring, Spider-Man, etc.

God of War being the best choice to get people's attention. I actually think the recent GoW game was a mess, but it's still quite the name to lob out there. Expectations will be high.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:27 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

This game doesn't even have a developer, it's not happening for 3-4 years. See you when the Playstation 6 is out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #39
AquaParade
Banned

I don't mind waiting but I can't get truly excited until we know who the developer is. You can't compare the game to God of War and then give it to some team that's primarily known for porting games or doing licensed titles or something. You need a big name developer.

That said, they chose the right choices for the two retro games they released last year, so it seems like they are paying attention to what works.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:13 PM   #40
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
That said, they chose the right choices for the two retro games they released last year, so it seems like they are paying attention to what works.
Exactly. That's how I'm looking at it as well, given how incredible 2022 was for TMNT and video games. You'd like to think they'd want to keep that momentum going and keep things positive ... but like you too, I'm hoping we hear something worthwhile about the right developer for the project.

I actually just got The Last Ronin book in the mail today and just wrapped up the first three chapters ... this is going to make a fantastic game if done right.