The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I get that, but I don't think we would get Patrick Stewart back in the role of Picard for anything else. At this point in his career, I don't think he does anything he doesn't want to do. Which means he had to want to do this. And I don't see him going back to Star Trek just for "eh, why not? Could be fun." It has to be something he believes in.

For better or worse, given Stewart's belief in this project, I think it will turn out well.
I think it's more like, "Maybe Stewart can help mitigate the damage coming out of the writing room."

But he can only do so much.

Quote:
And at the very least, it can make some sort of decent story out of the bull$hit that was JJ Abrams casually wiping out an entire government and race just for two minutes worth of backstory in a bull$hit reboot prequel.
Two governments and races, wasn't it? Essentially. 'Splosions!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think it's more like, "Maybe Stewart can help mitigate the damage coming out of the writing room."

But he can only do so much.
Yeah, but at this point, Stewart didn't have to help them. He chose. Which means there is enough there to appeal to him, which is enough for me to trust this won't be the mess that Discovery is.

And maybe, just maybe, this opens the universe for another, standalone, 25-century TV series. And more returning actors and actresses, like Robert Picardo, Jeri Ryan, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Nana Visitor, Aron Eisenberg, and a whole host of others.

(Just not Avery Brooks or Brent Spiner. I don't see them coming back for any amount of money, sadly enough.)

Discovery doesn't give us that potential. Even the "hey, now we're in the 32nd century!" doesn't excite me as much as it does worry me. It could go well, but it could do a lot of $hitting on things that came before.

This, though. It's gonna take a LOT of wrong to crash and burn.

Quote:
Two governments and races, wasn't it? Essentially. 'Splosions!
True, true. But I wasn't counting Vulcan because that's all nuTrek timeline crap.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah, but at this point, Stewart didn't have to help them. He chose. Which means there is enough there to appeal to him, which is enough for me to trust this won't be the mess that Discovery is.

And maybe, just maybe, this opens the universe for another, standalone, 25-century TV series. And more returning actors and actresses, like Robert Picardo, Jeri Ryan, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Nana Visitor, Aron Eisenberg, and a whole host of others.

(Just not Avery Brooks or Brent Spiner. I don't see them coming back for any amount of money, sadly enough.)
Why wouldn't Spiner come back? I've read that he doesn't think Data should age (even though episodes of TNG have told us his skin ages... and others that it doesn't) so that would make his return preposterous... but it isn't too hard to imagine ways to make it work. Same with John De Lancie!

Avery Brooks... I'm not sure we even want him to come back, unless his natural state has always been batsh** insane IRL. Though how cool would it be to have Sisko returning from the Wormhole in a new show...

Quote:
Discovery doesn't give us that potential. Even the "hey, now we're in the 32nd century!" doesn't excite me as much as it does worry me. It could go well, but it could do a lot of $hitting on things that came before.
I admit, I am morbidly curious about the 32nd century stuff. They're far enough into the future that I'm not worried about canon trampling... but I also don't have any faith that they won't just do dumb stuff.

Didn't we see it as all being blasted and decimated by Control (or did that future not happen?)? If so, I could see Discovery being like this beacon of hope from a bygone era to ravaged worlds in need of help. But mostly it'll probably be Michael Burnham looking for and finding her mom, a lot of people screaming at each other, crying, explosions and the fat nerdy one cracking jokes.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Why wouldn't Spiner come back? I've read that he doesn't think Data should age (even though episodes of TNG have told us his skin ages... and others that it doesn't) so that would make his return preposterous... but it isn't too hard to imagine ways to make it work. Same with John De Lancie!

Avery Brooks... I'm not sure we even want him to come back, unless his natural state has always been batsh** insane IRL. Though how cool would it be to have Sisko returning from the Wormhole in a new show...
Sorry, you're right--Brent Spiner could totally come back. He did it for Enterprise, after all. I was thinking specifically a return as Data or B4 or another one of the android siblings.

And if we don't get John de Lancie back, Star Trek: Picard will NOT have lived up to its full potential.

And as for Avery Brooks, crazy man that he is... you could always explain his mental state as from having been with the Prophets. But I just don't see Brooks having any interest in reprising his role.

Quote:
I admit, I am morbidly curious about the 32nd century stuff. They're far enough into the future that I'm not worried about canon trampling... but I also don't have any faith that they won't just do dumb stuff.

Didn't we see it as all being blasted and decimated by Control (or did that future not happen?)? If so, I could see Discovery being like this beacon of hope from a bygone era to ravaged worlds in need of help. But mostly it'll probably be Michael Burnham looking for and finding her mom, a lot of people screaming at each other, crying, explosions and the fat nerdy one cracking jokes.
So far, Star Trek Discovery has been 2 for 2 on doing, and I quote, "dumb stuff." It's not that the core ideas are bad, but their execution has been terrible. Klingon War, poorly done. And the Red Angel vs Control stuff, poorly done.

Hey man, I LIKE Sylvia Tilly! C'mon, she dropped the fvck bomb in Star Trek. I'll remain deathly loyal to her for that.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Sorry, you're right--Brent Spiner could totally come back. He did it for Enterprise, after all. I was thinking specifically a return as Data or B4 or another one of the android siblings.
No, I totally meant as Data/B4. What, would Spiner be too busy filming Independence Day 3? Even if his skin isn't supposed to age (except when they say it does), think, Data in "All Good Things." It's a FAKE future but Data still dyes his hair white to look older... perhaps he would want to similarly "look his age" in STP and make custom skin.

Or they could do something weird. Some throwaway lines about, "B4 didn't last but we were able to recover Data's memories." And then have Data be a CGI EMH that looks like Data did on TNG, but intentionally less realistic looking. Voiced by Spiner. Or have it be that Picard's personal ship (or whatever it ends up being) gets Data's memories uploaded into them and becomes the Computer, basically. Voiced by Spiner.

Quote:
And if we don't get John de Lancie back, Star Trek: Picard will NOT have lived up to its full potential.
Man, I hope so.

Quote:
And as for Avery Brooks, crazy man that he is... you could always explain his mental state as from having been with the Prophets. But I just don't see Brooks having any interest in reprising his role.
True. His wackiness could be an asset!

Quote:
Hey man, I LIKE Sylvia Tilly! C'mon, she dropped the fvck bomb in Star Trek.
Just to prove how edgy STD is. Meh! Wasn't nearly as funny as when Data said "Oh sh**!" 20 years ago.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #46
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
No, I totally meant as Data/B4. What, would Spiner be too busy filming Independence Day 3? Even if his skin isn't supposed to age (except when they say it does), think, Data in "All Good Things." It's a FAKE future but Data still dyes his hair white to look older... perhaps he would want to similarly "look his age" in STP and make custom skin.

Or they could do something weird. Some throwaway lines about, "B4 didn't last but we were able to recover Data's memories." And then have Data be a CGI EMH that looks like Data did on TNG, but intentionally less realistic looking. Voiced by Spiner. Or have it be that Picard's personal ship (or whatever it ends up being) gets Data's memories uploaded into them and becomes the Computer, basically. Voiced by Spiner.
I just don't see Spiner being as enthusiastic to reprise his role. But maybe he's grown out of that? I just get a "I do more than Star Trek" vibe from him, like Nimoy was for awhile.

But yeah, I'd love to see Spiner. Almost as much as Q.

Quote:
Just to prove how edgy STD is. Meh! Wasn't nearly as funny as when Data said "Oh sh**!" 20 years ago.
Eh, personal taste. I personally use the F word a whole lot more than I probably should, so that moment really rang true for me, "edgy" or not. (Which is also certainly was. Just like L'Rell's Klingon nipples.)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I just don't see Spiner being as enthusiastic to reprise his role. But maybe he's grown out of that? I just get a "I do more than Star Trek" vibe from him, like Nimoy was for awhile.

But yeah, I'd love to see Spiner. Almost as much as Q.
Gun to the head, yeah, Q for sure. That needs to happen.

I wonder what that "25% different" thing will mean for STP. If Worf shows up, do they have to make his Klingon head bumps 25% different? If they do a flashback to TNG, do they have to Abrams-ize the Enterprise D?
Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #48
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Gun to the head, yeah, Q for sure. That needs to happen.

I wonder what that "25% different" thing will mean for STP. If Worf shows up, do they have to make his Klingon head bumps 25% different? If they do a flashback to TNG, do they have to Abrams-ize the Enterprise D?
It might not even apply. And I feel like they probably won't take the risk of changing the visual appearance of a fan favorite character like Worf.

Hell, when you count it all up, Worf has had the most appearances of ANY Star Trek Character. 7 seasons of TNG, 4 seasons of DS9, 4 movies.

I know some Trekkies are sick of him, but I, for one, welcome our potential Star Trek: Worf series that Michael Dorn has always wanted to make.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I know some Trekkies are sick of him, but I, for one, welcome our potential Star Trek: Worf series that Michael Dorn has always wanted to make.
Hell, I'd take it. Better something like that than, say, "Section 31: Edgy People in the 23rd Century" or whatever is coming.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #50
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Hell, I'd take it. Better something like that than, say, "Section 31: Edgy People in the 23rd Century" or whatever is coming.
You know what would make a WAY better Section 31 show?

Set it in the 25th century. Bring back Julian Bashir and Luther Sloan. Maybe Ezri Dax, too.

BOOM, baby. Hell of a lot more interesting.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Brent Spiner returning to guest appear in Star Trek: Picard:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/bren...r-trek-picard/

Quote:
You know what would make a WAY better Section 31 show?

Set it in the 25th century. Bring back Julian Bashir and Luther Sloan. Maybe Ezri Dax, too.

BOOM, baby. Hell of a lot more interesting.
Hell yeah. They may consider something like that if STP really finds an audience (i.e., learn that people want to see Star Trek stuff that isn't attached at the hip to original Enterprise, Kirk and/or Spock).
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

Holy crap. I'd love for this to be true!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 AM   #53
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:

Original source of this pulled their report...interesting. Last time this happened was when the Picard trailer leaked hours early.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Original source of this pulled their report...interesting. Last time this happened was when the Picard trailer leaked hours early.
Yeah, it's very interesting. Ordinarily if an article is put out there with what turns out to be FAKE movie news they will go back and edit it with some kind of "UPDATE: Turns out to be fake. Sorry, folks!"

Not just pull it. That speaks to something else.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah, it's very interesting. Ordinarily if an article is put out there with what turns out to be FAKE movie news they will go back and edit it with some kind of "UPDATE: Turns out to be fake. Sorry, folks!"

Not just pull it. That speaks to something else.
Well, if we're following up on the Romulan stuff, both Nemesis and 2009 had a lot left hanging.

Assassination of the entire Romulan Senate, Shinzon's coup, Reman destabilization, and then, of course, the whole planet getting shattered.

Might as well follow up on Data/B4 while we're at it, eh? Maybe? Hopefully?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Might as well follow up on Data/B4 while we're at it, eh? Maybe? Hopefully?
Of course. And arguably the friendship between Picard and Data is roughly akin to Kirk's with Spock. If this is to be some kind of exploration of "hope"/humanity in our older years, of course Data should be there.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #57
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Of course. And arguably the friendship between Picard and Data is roughly akin to Kirk's with Spock. If this is to be some kind of exploration of "hope"/humanity in our older years, of course Data should be there.
Exactly. It'd be awesome to have characters like Riker, Beverly, or Worf.

But the two most defining relationships in TNG were Picard and Data, and Picard and Q. (I'd argue Picard and Worf for a third.)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But the two most defining relationships in TNG were Picard and Data, and Picard and Q. (I'd argue Picard and Worf for a third.)
Could be a case for Geordi and Data for the third, too.

It'd be neat to see Picard preside over the commissioning of the Enterprise-G in this show... and then THAT show being a spin-off, with a new crew and all. Picard could even appear on it, at times, or vice versa. With 200% less Kurtzman, please.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #59
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Could be a case for Geordi and Data for the third, too.

It'd be neat to see Picard preside over the commissioning of the Enterprise-G in this show... and then THAT show being a spin-off, with a new crew and all. Picard could even appear on it, at times, or vice versa. With 200% less Kurtzman, please.
Yeah, but the difference there is... was Geordi ever the focus (in a good relationship) other than with Data?

Geordi got paired with Data, or the Romulans did some mean $hit to him, or he creeped on Leah Brahms. That was about it.

Yes please. Enterprise-F, Enterprise-G, SOMETHING.

And make that 400% less Kurtzman.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:34 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Riker.

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/...518837760?s=19