The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Theli
Foot Soldier

tmnt and japan?

In old Cartoons from the 80, i saw a lot of them look like anime. The style and sometimes the animations really look similar to old anime produced in japan. I Talk about stuff like brave starr or galaxy Rangers for example.

Tmnt is no expection. Sometimes i think the animation style look anime alike sometimes not. It is strange because it is an american show. Does anyon have an idea why the show reminds me on old anime? Was it partly produced in japan? Or did america just try to imitate japanese Animation style?

And i dont Talk about the japanese turtle show where the turtles change Into some kind of Power gundam Rangers.

Last edited by Theli; 01-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Theli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
shihe
Hench Mutant

Hmmm I don't get a japanese animation vibe from the old TMNT cartoon, at all.

However, there were some cartoons which were animated by Japanese studios. If I'm not mistaken, Thundercats is one of them, hence why it looks so anime-ish, but trying to maintain US gags and expressions.

But TMNT to me.. not really, unless you mean the OVAs. lol
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

Far as I know it had been animated in Japan & even Korea if I'm not mistaken, with some obviously being done in US.

You're right that it tends to switch between styles. The influence is subtle, & resembles that of Japanese animation of that time rather than what people think of when you say that, which would be being current stuff. The mainstream anime style seems to change every 5 years or so.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Cipher
Foot Elite

The Fred Wolf cartoon used several Japanese studios, as was typical of the time. It ued Korean studios more often though, after the first season. (And I don't know about Japan in particular, but outsourcing animation to Asian countries is still the norm.) Actually I don't know if it used any American studios, or if that was even a possibility at the time. DrSpengler might know more.

The entire first season was done by Toei, the Japanese studio behind Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and a large amount of the original Transformers cartoon and its Japan-only sequels.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Theli
Foot Soldier

That is really interresting! For my part i love this old animestyle... I grow up with. Even i dont watch much anime today because of time reasons, seeing the old ones in that style give me a warm feeling. To be honest i think there is no bettet Animation style for toons. I also like the 2k3 toon but imagin how awesome he would be, if he had japanese/korean animation!

If i watch the credits of tmnt i can see no asian names, thats odd.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theli View Post
That is really interresting! For my part i love this old animestyle... I grow up with. Even i dont watch much anime today because of time reasons, seeing the old ones in that style give me a warm feeling. To be honest i think there is no bettet Animation style for toons. I also like the 2k3 toon but imagin how awesome he would be, if he had japanese/korean animation!

If i watch the credits of tmnt i can see no asian names, thats odd.
2k3 did have Korean animation (Dong Woo) and was actually pretty similar to the anime style of its era. That said, there are a couple definite animesque scenes in Season 1 of the OT. We've discussed the Lupin the III origins of April's character design, and of course, having a plot that revolves around the Foot and its origins in Japan surely gives the show its associations with Japan, along with some Zen/Shinto concepts by Splinter.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fred wolf series