The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord

A minor thing, will April grow her hair long again, or will she remain with short hair for the rest of the series?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #82
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugehen View Post
Many creative teams behind established properties rehash the same story for a new generation since it’s easy to make money for a while off of nostalgia. With such a huge wellspring of TMNT lore to pull from I’m consistently impressed at how original your ongoing story has been, now more than ever. At the same time I’m positively glowing with nostalgia each issue I read.

This is a big open question, but will you offer some insight into your creative process? Or more specifically, when formulating story arcs and direction how do you balance original content with just enough inspiration from past iterations to keep things fresh, but in sync with what TMNT means to so many fans?
At any given time we've got a couple long-term plans in mind that we are working on building to. Then, we take a look at where we've been recently, in terms of plot and character development, and ask what makes sense next. Then you mix in a dollop of spur-of-the-moment ideas that hopefully make a short or long term plan better.

Tom and I, and in the past year Kevin has been very involved in this process as well, have a sit and discuss the next storyline coming up. While we do that, we usually get ideas for upcoming story lines further down the road.

So basically we have a skeleton of the overall story leading to, say #50, or #100. From month to month, we fill in some internal organs on storylines that are anywhere from six-to-twelve months ahead, while putting the skin, hair, and clothing on the storylines that we are currently writing and producing. So one foot in the present, one foot in the near future, one foot in the long term. Yes, i've just described some hideous, three-footed semi-formed monstrosity, but that's storytelling!

In terms of original vs. old characters, if an old character serves a purpose in the story we're telling, then we will usually include them to get the pleasant bonus of a little nostalgia hype going (but it's important to note that we only do that when it serves the story. It'd be easy to trot out characters for no purpose other than that instant nostalgia hype, but we try to wait for the right moment, like we did with Bebop and Rocksteady, or Rat King, etc). If no old character comes to mind that serves the story, then we create a new character.

Sometimes, we have situations where old characters COULD maybe fit, like Armaggon for Bludgeon, but the old characters are so different in purpose and personality, that they are not a good fit for the story we are telling, even if they seem so on paper.

Long story short, we feel all of this stuff out as we go!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #83
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...09716ab1ef.gif

It's been a long time coming, and I can at last ask a question that's been bugging me for a while.

Where on Earth (or Utrominion?) is Krang's mother? I don't think there's room for an in-story explanation and it's just a very minor inconvenience. But it's still something I've been wondering about. For now, I'm assuming she died before the Krang on Morbus event, but some confirmation would be nice.

*Gleeful squawk for A Sophie Campbell Christmas*
Krang's mother has never been explored at all-- I don't think anyone internally has ever even brought her up. In retrospect, I think we've done pretty poorly by mothers. Outside of April's mom, they are all dead (Tang Shen, Casey's mom, Angel's mom) or non-existant (Oroku Saki's mom, Krang's mom). It's a blind spot of ours that I'm not proud of.

So maybe we'll see Krang's mom one day, she could still be alive somewhere in Dimension X, maybe. Though personally i'm kind of attracted to the idea that the Utroms don't have genders and have some peculiar method of reproducing. I can say we will be diving into the uniqueness of the Utrom species down the road.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #84
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Krang's mother has never been explored at all-- I don't think anyone internally has ever even brought her up. In retrospect, I think we've done pretty poorly by mothers. Outside of April's mom, they are all dead (Tang Shen, Casey's mom, Angel's mom) or non-existant (Oroku Saki's mom, Krang's mom). It's a blind spot of ours that I'm not proud of.

So maybe we'll see Krang's mom one day, she could still be alive somewhere in Dimension X, maybe. Though personally i'm kind of attracted to the idea that the Utroms don't have genders and have some peculiar method of reproducing. I can say we will be diving into the uniqueness of the Utrom species down the road.
The Utrom idea sounds really cool! My 2 cents, go with that!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #85
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
A minor thing, will April grow her hair long again, or will she remain with short hair for the rest of the series?
Most character designs are dependent on the artist having a strong feeling about it, like Sophie did during Northampton. Tom and I almost never indicate physical/fashion changes, as we like to let the artists do their own thing whenever possible.

So, no plans to change it, but if an artist really wanted to, they could.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #86
CyberCubed
Overlord

If I remember correctly were the Utroms in Mirage genderless? I don't really remember.

I guess people always want to view Krang as male though since that's how his character was in the original cartoon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #87
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If I remember correctly were the Utroms in Mirage genderless? I don't really remember.

I guess people always want to view Krang as male though since that's how his character was in the original cartoon.
Nope. Dr. X was female.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #88
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

As well as Dr. X, we also have Professor Obligado's mother - at least from his memory of her.

And now we have at least a reference to a female Utrom in the IDW - Ma`riell. Who I'm hoping we can get to meet. Just from being a chief scientist, she sounds like she'll be fun.

If it weren't for legal boundaries, I'd be happy to lend my concept of Krang's mother, but I know you guys can't probably can't accept it.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-14-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #89
Jasper-X
Hench Mutant

Quote:
An unintended possible side-effect of this thread... I may get less Ninja Notes!! And that would be bad, as we've been running low recently, and questions make the best letters (we get so many "i've been a TMNT fan for years!" letters, which get boring to read fast, though I appreciate getting them)

Point is, happy answer questions here, but I hope folks will consider saving some and sending them in. Get your name in print!!
In response to this: I have never written a ninja note in hopes that it would be published, and I had never really thought about doing that. That does not mean that I wouldn't like to have one of my questions published along with its answer in an actual TMNT comic. Seeing as many people jumped at this thread to ask you many questions, would it be possible to have questions from this thread be published in the ninja notes section if we provide the necessary personal information to go along with the question? Getting questions from a site based around TMNT fans seems like it should be fairly easy... I hope

Next Mutation Production Statue
Bounzing Buddy Raphael in package
Purple Super Shredder MOC
Secret Agent Don MOC
IDW Limited Sketch Cards
Jasper-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #90
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper-X View Post
In response to this: I have never written a ninja note in hopes that it would be published, and I had never really thought about doing that. That does not mean that I wouldn't like to have one of my questions published along with its answer in an actual TMNT comic. Seeing as many people jumped at this thread to ask you many questions, would it be possible to have questions from this thread be published in the ninja notes section if we provide the necessary personal information to go along with the question? Getting questions from a site based around TMNT fans seems like it should be fairly easy... I hope
That's a good idea. If you'd like your question to be considered for Ninja Notes, just add "OK to PRINT" Include as much personal information (name, city or state of residence) as you want.

I'll edit the opening post to include that!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #91
Jasper-X
Hench Mutant

Quote:
That's a good idea. If you'd like your question to be considered for Ninja Notes, just add "OK to PRINT" Include as much personal information (name, city or state of residence) as you want.

I'll edit the opening post to include that!
Awesome, thanks! I'd be happy to have my question printed, I'll re-post it below! (with a few edits for print)

Hey IDW Team! So I read that the upcoming Deviations issue (where in an alternate universe, the TMNT join Shredder) is just a one shot. I love the idea behind it, so I was wondering, with all the different crossovers the main IDW turtles have had, and how successful they are, any chance we could see the turtles from Deviations crossover into the main TMNT ongoing series? Because that would be epic!

OK to Print!
Chris McKenna
New York

Next Mutation Production Statue
Bounzing Buddy Raphael in package
Purple Super Shredder MOC
Secret Agent Don MOC
IDW Limited Sketch Cards
Jasper-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #92
Ninjinister
無問題

Why are the original movie trilogy characters off the table? It was my understanding that Mirage had the rights - which is why Tokka and Rahzar showed up in things long after the movies (and you guys have even published two series where the latter appears) and Pennington was in a Mirage book, along with plans for Keno at one point...
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #93
Allio
Foot Elite

can you tell us anything about Mutants in Manhatten?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #94
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Why are the original movie trilogy characters off the table? It was my understanding that Mirage had the rights - which is why Tokka and Rahzar showed up in things long after the movies (and you guys have even published two series where the latter appears) and Pennington was in a Mirage book, along with plans for Keno at one point...
No clue. Might be that the actors have some sort of rights with the character, but that's pure speculation.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #95
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
can you tell us anything about Mutants in Manhatten?
I don't know what that is!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #96
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I don't know what that is!
It is a new game in development that has not recieved official unveiling, but confirned. Classic elements are fratured with information suggesting Bebop, Rocksteady, Slash, and Wingnut.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game.../achievements/
Old 01-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #97
Mew
Banned

Can I get any drawing tips from the awesome arists? I wanna make comics one day....
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #98
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It is a new game in development that has not recieved official unveiling, but confirned. Classic elements are fratured with information suggesting Bebop, Rocksteady, Slash, and Wingnut.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game.../achievements/
I am sure he was being sarcastic lol

Bobby or Tom

I was wondering is there any chance that we can have in house IDW artist
Rob Duenas draw a mini-series or a few issues on the ongoing title???
For anyone who does not know his work here is an example http://www.deviantart.com/art/Commis...Noir-212895807
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #99
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
Can I get any drawing tips from the awesome arists? I wanna make comics one day....
You'll have to ask them! You're probably better than me!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #100
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Funny you mention Rob there Redeemer, I was recently introduced to him by a mate, and he's definitely talented. He's also the one who helped me get the swag from the recent dinner in San Diego with Kevin heh. He's worked with Kevin before, almost ten years ago, and I know he'd love to work with Kevin again, so I think a TMNT gig would be excellent

Also been speaking to Mike Dialynas, who's doing the current issues, and getting a commission from him next month. Pity all his issues were done digitally, otherwise I'd consider buying a page or two.

So oooooooooooon that note, question for you Bobby... is there any artist you'd like to invite on to do a TMNT issue or more, or any that you've wanted to get and be unable to so far?

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz