The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

The new Sailor Moon anime will be called "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal". The first image of the show is revealed and there is an eight day countdown for a surprise.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-posted-online
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

It's still disappointing to see they retconed the team name from "Sailor Soldiers" to "Sailor Guardians". Yeah, I know it's been over ten years since the retcon, but I just got into Sailor Moon last year. It's still new to me.

More and more it looks like this anime will be based more on the manga, which is good and bad. I liked the manga because it explained things that the anime never did, like "How are Usagi and Mamoru still alive in the 30th century?" or "Why does everyone in the future call Chibiusa "Small Lady"?".

The manga itself though...was very boring. Everything is taken extremely seriously in the book, that sense of comradely from the anime is hardly anywhere to be found, Raye(Sailor Mars) is a completely different character in the manga. I don't know, everything I loved from the anime is nowhere to be found in the manga. I hope they combine elements from the manga and anime in this. It would be a shame not to see Umino and Naru get together again, or to never see Yuichirou or Ryo Urawa again.

If they do take more from the manga, I hope they take allot from the prequel manga Sailor V. Sailor V was a lot of fun, and instantly put Sailor Venus on my "Top Three Favorite Sailor Soldiers/Guardians List".

Last edited by TMNT_Guy; 05-01-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Yeah but you have to understand that this is based on the manga. They're trying to differentiate from the first anime which strayed a bit from the original concept. Although, I never understood why they changed the name from "Soldier" to "Guardian". I believe the first anime was "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon" and the live-action series was "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon". This one is "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal". I'm assuming Naoko preferred the live-action show's title better. The rereleases of the original manga started carrying that name.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 03-14-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I suppose. I hope they at least keep Sailor Mar's personality from the anime in the new series. The banter between her and Sailor Moon was one of the more interesting parts of the show. Sailor Mars kept her anime personailty in the musicals, so it's possible. I also hope the new anime doesn’t take everything super serious like the manga. Don't get me wrong, the original anime had a lot of dark moments-the ending to Sailor Moon S genuinely shocked me. I had no idea things would turn out the way they did there.

Whatever happens, I’ll try to watch this show with an open mind. I think with more writers at it’s disposal, the manga storyline won’t be as boring. In fact, with the extra story bits that were missing from the original anime, it could be better. I’m already looking forward to the changes they do with the Sailor Moon Super S storyline. I'm also thrilled Kotono Mitsuishi is back to voice Sailor Moon again. Her Sailor Moon laugh is the best laugh in existence.

My favorite light-hearted moment from the original anime can be summed up in four words:

Pink. Sugar. Heat. Attack. I laughed so hard when I first saw that.

Last edited by TMNT_Guy; 03-14-2014 at 08:45 PM.
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I liked the manga because it explained things that the anime never did, like "How are Usagi and Mamoru still alive in the 30th century?"
It was kinda VAGUELY mentioned in passing that everyone was in a frozen state of suspended animation or something for a long time. Then Sailor Moon saved the world and the moon crystal made everyone immortal (Rini is actually like 900).
Old 04-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

The cast for Sailor Moon Crystal has been revealed.

Kotono Mitsuishi is returning as Sailor Moon/Usagi/Serena
Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Rina Satou as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars (she's a fan of the original show too!)
Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter/Lita
Shizuka Itou as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus

The series premiers July 5th and will run every other saturday (1st and 3rd Saturday of the month) online on the Niconico streaming site.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...J5OApSATGFy.01
Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
NameGoesHere1066
Stone Warrior

I am surprised so many people do not like the manga version of Sailor Moon. I loved it and in some ways but I can see how some would prefer the anime.

However I loved the personalites of the girls much better in the manga then in anime. They were all too squealy and boy crazy in the anime and I felt the manga gave each of them alot of strength and dignity. The only problem is that the manga did not have enough time to develop all the greatness that their characters had. A anime can change this, and I hope the new anime stays as true to their manga personalites and relationships as possiable.

I aslo adore manga sailor mars. she was more spiritual and elegant in the anime while being tough without being being mean or luad like her anime counter-part. I know some people are put off by her "I have no use for men" attitude in the manga, but making her the opposite of that was not cool either. I think if the anime gives Rei a warmer personality they can still stay true to her manga characterization, which I think deserves an chance in the new new anime.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
The cast for Sailor Moon Crystal has been revealed.
I was hoping for a reunion of Peach Hips, it will definitely take some time to get used to the new cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameGoesHere1066 View Post
The only problem is that the manga did not have enough time to develop all the greatness that their characters had. A anime can change this, and I hope the new anime stays as true to their manga personalites and relationships as possiable.
I agree. Reading the manga to me is like reading a history book. It's full of great stories, but lite on anything that involves character. Characters are killed off as quickly as they are introduced, characters that sound like they're important are introduced with little to no reaction from the main cast. Seriously, Luna and Artemis have no reaction to finding out that Diana is their child from the future? Nevermind that, we only have so many pages left and King Endymion still has to give us our history lesson about the Black Moon tribe. I read up untill Chibiusa turned into Black Lady before I couldn't take the boredom anymore.

I can't fault Naoko Takeuchi for the fragmented pacing of the story. It's well documented how rushed she was to get those stories out in time for the anime writers. Her prequel series, Sailor V, while not as continuity heavy was paced better. Sailor Venus actually shows regret when she's forced to kill for the first time, big improvement in my opinion.

So yeah, still looking forward to the new show.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

And we have a trailer!! WOOH!!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
And we have a trailer!! WOOH!!

XD....I don't really like the art style.....it seems like they have a lack of expressions...

but the animation flow looks like it's going to be good!!

can't wait ^_^
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
pennydreadful
trash

^^ I'm more concerned about how skinny they look; I find it a bit offputting personally (though I am aware that yes, they are just cartoon characters!) - but other than that, it looked wonderful.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Translation of the trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShoujo;
Putting it here since all my posts tend to get moved somewhere.
Aside from the lyrics for "Moon Pride" and not Otome Senou (changing the song is a good idea)

Crossing over time

I am Luna.
I've been searching for you, Usagi-chan.

A new light of destiny

Usagi-chan, I have a mission for you.

Gather your friends!
Defeat the enemy!

is unleashed...

And after all this time you STILL need a translation for the other bits (aside from Moon Pride)....
Hmm, Luna seems to have a more realistic voice compared to her old cute voice. Some of the scenes from the trailer seem to have been based on panels from the manga. As someone who never cared for the art style in the manga, I like the new look of the show. Based on the few clips shown, it feels familiar yet new. It’s just enough to differentiate it from the old show, but not enough to the point you feel alienated by it.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Viz Media has now released a subbed trailer for Sailor Moon Crystal. It's basically the same as the Japanese one only now with english subtitles.

Also, the series will be on more than just Niconico! It'll now also be on Hulu, Neonalley.com, and Crunchyroll. Either way it premiers July 5th!

Ryou Hirohashi (the Japanese voice for Tails) is the voice of Luna and Kenji Nojima is Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru Chiba (Huh.. I thought Toru Furuya was gonna reprise his role from the original series).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...trailer/.75742
Old 07-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Here's a transformation comparison between the first anime and the new anime.
http://www.fandompost.com/2014/07/01...ison-provided/
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Here's a transformation comparison between the first anime and the new anime.
http://www.fandompost.com/2014/07/01...ison-provided/
CGI Transformation....interesting.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
pennydreadful
trash

Hmmm... I kind of feel like I like the old transformation better, but I'll still give the new Sailor Moon a chance. I think I'm still a bit thrown off by the art style not being what I expected; no offense intended but they just seem kind of anorexic to me. I can't quite put my finger on it; maybe it's that her arms seem thinner and longer? I don't know.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

After seeing the first episode I have to say. Wow! Good to have the show back! Yeah the first ep was practically the first ep of the original almost word for word (with some changes, same basic plot of the jewelery store monster) but it was still awesome and MAN the artwork on the Moon Kingdom was breathtaking!! I love the song in the closing credits!

It's weird tho that Tuxedo Kamen essentially wears his costume minus the mask (altho he's wearing sunglasses) in broad daylight!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I was really impressed with the new anime. The pacing was done well, the animation was beautiful and I really loved how Usagi wasn't as annoying as she was in the first show. I love the intro and ending for this show. Overall, this was a very good start for this new reboot. I hope they will go beyond 26 episodes if this show is successful. I have a feeling me and this show will get along just fine.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wait a minute this show is only 26 episodes? I thought it was a complete remake of the manga and old anime? I was expecting over 100 episodes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wait a minute this show is only 26 episodes? I thought it was a complete remake of the manga and old anime? I was expecting over 100 episodes.
Yeah. For now it's just 26 episodes. I haven't heard anything about them making more then that. Considering how spread out the episodes are (only 2 a month) I guess they figure if it gets renewed they'll have the time to make more.