The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #261
sdp
Winsider

I was really looking forward to this but the trailers really changed my hype levels. I wanted a full adventure full of arabic architecture/sets/culture but everything looks so small and low budget. Look at the prince ali segment, if it weren't for Will Smith I would've thought it was made on a tv budget. I do like that Princess Jasmine has a ton of outfits but none of them being the classic one from the movie also kills the nostalgia.

Dommage Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #262
Leo656
The Franchise

Also, Will Smith apparently summarizes the entire film in rap form over the closing credits, just to drag things back to 1999 and make it completely terrible instead of just kind of terrible.

I was never a huge fan of Aladdin; it's okay, not a bad movie but kind of overrated, mostly on the strength of Robin Williams's performance. I'm reading the words "soulless" and "lifeless" a lot in regard to this remake; sounds about right. I haven't seen one thing that actually makes me want to see it instead of just watching the original one. Like, I don't love the original half as much as my wife does, but I'd still rather watch that any day instead of this.

Anyways... $1.2 billion.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:18 AM   #263
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The official soundtrack has been released and is all over Youtube, so even going to see the movie to check out songs old and new is kind of redundant now

..Did he seriously sneek in a climate change joke in that? How many more movies are going to do this? It happened in Detective Pikachu too.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #264
sdp
Winsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
..Did he seriously sneek in a climate change joke in that? How many more movies are going to do this? It happened in Detective Pikachu too.
what's the quote? Also don't remember it in Detective Pikachu either. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it though, climate change is a big thing and the more people are aware the better.

Dommage Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #265
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also, Will Smith apparently summarizes the entire film in rap form over the closing credits, just to drag things back to 1999 and make it completely terrible instead of just kind of terrible.
"Uh uh.. yeah.. ha ha... ha ha..."
*insert lyrics about Aladdin*
"wikki-wikki-wikki"
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 AM   #266
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
what's the quote? Also don't remember it in Detective Pikachu either. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it though, climate change is a big thing and the more people are aware the better.
It was during the Torterra Garden "earthquake"
Old 05-24-2019, 02:14 AM   #267
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
what's the quote? Also don't remember it in Detective Pikachu either.
"The climate can change" is one of the lyrics. It goes by super quick, but I heard it.

And yeah, there's a joke about Climate Change in 'Tec Pikachu, it's when everyone is caught up in the landslide during the 'earthquake' (that got a laugh from me admittedly)

Quote:
I don't see anything particularly wrong with it though, climate change is a big thing and the more people are aware the better.
There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just another example of movies inserting commentary where it's not needed.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #268
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

Aladdin got off to a good start during preview showings with $7 million. That amount is much higher than the late-night showings of Dumbo ($2.6 million), Maleficent ($4.2 million), Cinderella ($2.3 million) and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales ($5.5 million) which opened during the Memorial Day weekend two years ago.

Disneyís Live-Action ĎAladdiní Soars To $7M Thursday

Also, Andre the Black Nerd posted his review of the film. He was actually worried going into it because he loved the original so much, but he enjoyed this movie.

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #269
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I can't rag too much on a legit Hyperforce Power Ranger, but I rarely listen to his reviews. He's a shill for everything.

Jahns and Stuckman are more my speed and they just found the movie OK but highly flawed.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 AM   #270
victory_angel
Foot Elite

The major problem with these live-action remakes is that Disney is banking on the nostalgia of filmgoers. So they are essentially saying

"Hey, hey, look you know that movie you liked years ago. Well, we redid it in live action, it's exactly like the original film and we've also added some new things, you'll love it."

Unfortunately, the live action remakes range from just being okay to being full on dumpster fires. While they can capture the story, they don't capture what made the original film so likable. So it feels like a pale imitation of the original story.

The only good thing about the live action Disney films is they get people to want to go back and look at the original animated films.

Now it's understandable that Disney is in a creative slump right now, it's been known to happen. But these live-action remakes clearly aren't working. If they are wanting to get crowds based on nostalgia, they should rerelease their old films in theaters for limited addition showings. This way people who loved the old films can return and fall in love with them all over again. And the old Disney films can be introduced and shared with a new audience as much of the people who grew up with films such as the Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, and Aladdin are grown up now and have children of their own.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #271
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

I'll be leaving in a couple of hours or so to see the film. In the meantime, to surprise of no one who watches his videos, Doug Walker of Channel Awesome wasn't too fond of it.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #272
raph27
Mad Scientist

I saw it last night at a drive-in. I haven't seen the original so I can't really make comparisons, but I generally enjoyed it. Will Smith was a delight, probably the best part of the film for me. The songs were well done, some others in my group griped about Aladdin's voice but I thought it was serviceable.

CGI was weird in this. Some of it, like the Genie and most of the magic effects from him and Jafar, looked great. But then other stuff like the animals and fire effects in the desert looked way outdated. It was a strange mix.

Also, during the first song where Jasmine and Aladdin are escaping in the marketplace, something about the picture itself seemed off. It was like a different framerate or something. I'm guessing that wasn't just my showing?
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #273
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
I saw it last night at a drive-in.
Those still exist???? jk
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #274
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

I thought it was entertaining and faithful to the original with some small new twists as well. While I was sitting in my seat and watching the movie I did feel like a kid again. Will Smith made the played Genie as very likable and energetic. He did make the role his own and honored Robin William's legacy. Nasim Pedrad's new character, Dalia, was also fun. Jasmine was indeed very empowered throughout this film. Naomi singing was excellent and so was her acting.

Spoiler:
Like Cinderella and Aurora in their new films, Jasmine is not a princess by the end of the film and has much higher rank in royalty. She's actually not queen in the end but Sultan of Agrabah. Her father saw how much growth she went through and that is why he felt she earned that title. I don't recall in the new Beauty and the Beast if Belle and the Prince become king and queen.

Mena Massoud was a solid Aladdin, but my only complaint with her performance is that:

Spoiler:
When he first comes to the palace as Prince Ali, he doesn't try to act so suave, cool, and princely. He actually lacks a lot of confidence while trying to show the Sultan and Jasmine what he has brought for them.

Marwan Kenzari's portrayal of Jafar was lackluster though, especially compared to his predecessors Jonathan Freeman, Oded Fehr and Naveen Andrews. The latter two actors played the character on the TV shows Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, respectively. They were more villainous and intimidating than him.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #275
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

Linda Larkin, who voiced Jasmine in the original animated movie, saw the new film and she loved it.

Quote:
Josh Weiss: What do you think of the remake?

Linda Larkin: I love these live-action versions. Iíve seen all of them and I really love this retelling and remaining of the original stories. I think itís a great way to reach an even broader audience, to create something new out of the story that already love. I think this is gonna be a huge success. I really have great hope for this live-action version of Aladdin and am really glad that they did it. I think people are gonna love it and theyíre gonna really enjoy the expansion of this story and these characters and the re-exploration through the eyes of 2019. I always felt like we were ahead of our time, I felt like Jasmine ahead of her time as a young woman in 1992. She was really a princess for 2019 and to see her in 2019, to see that explored now, is just so exciting for me.

Josh Weiss: Have you seen the new film?

Linda Larkin: I have. I loved it. I donít wanna spoil anything for anyone. Iím just excited for everyone to see it.

Josh Weiss: What advice would you give the live-action Jasmine played by Naomi Scott?

Linda Larkin: I would just tell her to enjoy the ride
'Aladdin' Voice Actor Linda Larkin On Why Jasmine Is 'A Princess For 2019'

Scott Weinger, who voiced Aladdin in the original, didn't get the chance to see the film until the Los Angeles premiere the other day.

Quote:
Josh Weiss: What do you think of the remake?

Scott Weinger: Iím going with my family to see the premiere at the El Capitan. Iím excited. Itís funny, I donít go to a lot of movie premieres generally; itís not my life. I donít really do it that often, but this one I didnít wanna miss. I know my son, itís gonna blow his mind. Itíll be especially fun for me because the original Aladdin premiere was at the El Capitan Theater ... I distinctly remember it so clearly going when I was 17-years-old to the premiere of Aladdin at that theater, so itís really fun for me all these years later going with my wife and my son to see this one Ö I think itíll be fun.

Iím excited for the movie. I literally havenít seen a frame of it beyond what everybody else has seen in the trailer. Actually, you know what? Thatís not true. I was at Alan Menkenís house a few weeks ago and he showed me a clip of one of the songs. This gorgeous new song that he wrote, ĎSpeechless.í Itís an amazing new song that he wrote for Princess Jasmine and so I saw a rough unfinished version of that. It looked spectacular.

I hope that the movie is a big hit, I hope people love it Ö Itís funny, people who know me are asking if thereís some sort of Easter egg surprise or cameo; if youíre paying attention will you spot me in the movie? The answer is no, I have nothing to do with it, Iím not in it. I wasnít involved in the production at all, but I do feel connected to it and I hope that people respond well to it.

Josh Weiss: What advice would you give the live-action Aladdin (played by Mena Massoud)?

Scott Weinger: I think it would be the same advice that the Genie gives Aladdin which is just be yourself. By the way, the cast seems incredibly talented. The voices sound great, the music sounds great ... The [new] guy who plays Aladdin sounds like heís spectacularly talented and they donít mess around. Iím sure they put together a good group.

I have to say I admire Will Smith for taking on the role [of the Genie] because it mustíve been intimidating and Iíve seen interviews with him where he said it was intimidating to fill those shows or try to fill those shoes. Heís so talented and obviously I think heís so different than Robin Williams; I think the smartest thing to do was just to try and be himself and make the role his role.
Scott Weinger Looks Back On Voicing Aladdin And How Robin Williams Changed The Animation Game
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #276
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

After this, what's left to live-action retell?

The Aristocats?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #277
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

Disney released a music video of Naomi Scott singing "Speechless" the other day.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #278
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
After this, what's left to live-action retell?

The Aristocats?
All of these Live Action remakes make me wonder whether we'll have a Live Action House of Mouse someday.

Just imagine Scarlett Johannson Kaa interacting with Will Smith Genie or something...
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #279
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

The film had the fourth best Memorial Day Weekend of all-time by making $91.5 million over three days and $116.8 million over four.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weeken...wknd=21&p=.htm
Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #280
oldmanwinters
Overlord

It hit me the other day that the only substantial difference between original animated Jasmine's slave girl costume from her normal outfit is that it's red instead of blue.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#notmyaladdin, 3 sjw wishes, a whole new cuck, ain'tneverhadacucklikeme, cuck smith