The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

What do you think of Western society/culture at this point in time?

How do you feel about the current state of Western society and where it is headed?

What do you like and dislike about it? Is it improving or on a steady decline?

Please share your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

...that is a very vague question, Spike. What is your point, exactly?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

What are we defining Western Society and Culture as?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
What are we defining Western Society and Culture as?
I dunno about Spike, but to me Western Culture is Europe and countries like USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, etc.

I don't think Russians consider themselves as part of the West, though.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I dunno about Spike, but to me Western Culture is Europe and countries like USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, etc.

I don't think Russians consider themselves as part of the West, though.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

In terms of culture, I guess our values and how we are applying our resources towards the future. Do you think we are on a sustainable path? Will capitalism evolve or die? Are we educating our youth properly? If automation takes over most of our jobs, is there anything left to strive towards in terms of commerce and consumption?

I have no soapbox or anything to get on, I just want to hear the honest opinions of people who are older than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking.

In terms of culture, I guess our values and how we are applying our resources towards the future. Do you think we are on a sustainable path? Will capitalism evolve or die? Are we educating our youth properly? If automation takes over most of our jobs, is there anything left to strive towards in terms of commerce and consumption?

I have no soapbox or anything to get on, I just want to hear the honest opinions of people who are older than me.
i don't think the things you mention are exclusive problems of the West. Also, each country has tis own context.

Many argue that Europe has been slowly decaying for a while now. I mean, Europe are no longer the "rulers of the world". USA became the number 1 superpower quite a long time ago already. And China and Japan come behind in terms of GDP. And then India is also climbing.

It seems to me that many people from the Americas, Australia and NZ think Europe belongs to the past, while the Americas and Australia and NZ are the future. Basically we Europeans are like the old grandpas or middle aged parents while countries like USA, Australia, Brazil, etc. are our rebellious teenage children
Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not worried about it. People seem convinced that any change at all is some kind of sign that it's crumbling... What country and culture is going to stay exactly the same forever? Of course they should change and adjust perspective as need be. I just take many issues and opposing opinions as being normal growing pains. It'll sort itself out eventually and hopefully come out better for it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not worried about it. People seem convinced that any change at all is some kind of sign that it's crumbling... What country and culture is going to stay exactly the same forever? Of course they should change and adjust perspective as need be. I just take many issues as being normal growing pains. It'll sort itself out eventually and hopefully come out better for it.
As long as war or famine don't break out in my territory then it's all good.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #9
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It seems to me that many people from the Americas, Australia and NZ think Europe belongs to the past, while the Americas and Australia and NZ are the future. Basically we Europeans are like the old grandpas or middle aged parents while countries like USA, Australia, Brazil, etc. are our rebellious teenage children
I don't think we consider ourselves the future, or that Europe belongs in the past, but it is 14,000 km away, so it's not in the forefront of our thoughts. A lot of Australians aren’t of European extraction anyway, and that’s playing more and more into politics and culture.

I’m not entirely sure what Western culture is. People have different ideas, but they’re usually incomplete or self-serving.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not worried about it. People seem convinced that any change at all is some kind of sign that it's crumbling... What country and culture is going to stay exactly the same forever? Of course they should change and adjust perspective as need be. I just take many issues and opposing opinions as being normal growing pains. It'll sort itself out eventually and hopefully come out better for it.
I agree with this. It’s also the reason I don’t vote or care either way who the president is. IMO 4-8 years is in no way a realistic time frame for 1 person to change society. It’s the same hyperbole every election year.

I watch that show Adam Ruins Everything and they were talking about how Hawaii was monopolized by the US and some people would prefer it go back to being it’s own area.

That is really stupid. If hypothetically a war broke out or Hawaii was attacked what would they do? No, whether you like it or not and regardless of how it historically happened you are much better off being part of the US.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

It's the pinnacle of humanity, the best we've ever had so far. Especially in the Nordic countries. We don't need anyone from anywhere to tell us how to live, we have it all perfect here right now.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
No, whether you like it or not and regardless of how it historically happened you are much better off being part of the US.
This is a bold statement that I don't agree with based on the the multitudes of factors involved. And that's not going anywhere near the condescension.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

My thoughts on Western Civilization that it is good economically but not spiritually.

Thats just a generalization though, as individual cases can be very different. There can be very poor people even in the richest part of the West, and a spiritually uptight person even in the area with the most vice.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is a bold statement that I don't agree with based on the the multitudes of factors involved. And that's not going anywhere near the condescension.
I didn’t mean to imply the US was perfect or something. If it was Canada it’d be the same difference.

Sure you could technically create your own government and military but to go through all that trouble now after all this time just for the sake of being separate is silly when you’re already part of a strong, free, country that has your back.

Tags
culture, serious question, society, western civilization