The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 02:58 AM   #21
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Hell yes! I love me some Dark Souls first timers. I also like interacting with streamers.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
There's nothing wrong with it. I mean, games are designed as interactive media, and playing them firsthand is how they're designed to tell their stories, so that's my ideal... But not everyone has the freedom to play games necessarily, or "good" at it, or even want to for whatever reason, and they might want to experience the worlds and characters and stories without actually playing. There's a place for that.

I remember back in high school, a bunch of friends and I would hang out in my folks' basement as a few of us switched off playing the original Silent Hill. And we had a great time -- it was like watching a horror movie, except one of us was in charge of how it proceeded. Sometimes it's nice to turn what's designed to be a solitary experience and turn it into a group experience. I know that Silent Hill was elevated for me because of the reactions and the input of friends as we played. And by default you don't really get that experience with most games these days unless you create it yourself.

Also: not everyone has the time or money or energy to keep up with all the games coming out, so being able to watch them in a potentially shorter amount of time lets them keep up with their interests despite their own personal life constraints. There are a ton of games released all the time, and I can't imagine how anyone could manage to keep up with it all unless they're lucky enough to not have a "traditional" job and life responsibilities.

i'm dying
Maybe it can be seen like sports, some people play soccer and ice hockey or participate in alpine skiing and cross-country skiing or whatever. Other watch it over TV or listen to it over radio.

And if you really like watching videogames like films, it's cheaper.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #23
Turo602
The King of Kings

When I was younger, I'd watch my brother play games because I was too young to play them and/or didn't have the games and system myself. I mostly played handheld games and whatever was co-op. I didn't mind it too much and I did get into Resident Evil and Zelda that way but I still did wish that I was able to play it instead. Also, I'm glad that people have already brought up James and Mike Monday's from Cinemasscre because I find that they're the only ones who I enjoy watching play games. They play a diverse range of video games every week, the majority are old games I could and probably would never get my hands on so I'm at least watching something fresh and something that I couldn't just otherwise play myself either. They're also edited to watchable lengths and honestly, I'm not so much watching for the game itself but also for their commentary. Their conversations and reactions are very genuine and not forced like some of the more popular Youtubers who overreact, curse, and constantly keep flapping their goddamn mouth trying hard to be funny while making dumb faces. Otherwise, I have no interest in watching others play video games. There are much better things to watch in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #24
Overlord

I would also watch some videogame TV-programmes.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #25
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post

I remember back in high school, a bunch of friends and I would hang out in my folks' basement as a few of us switched off playing the original Silent Hill. And we had a great time -- it was like watching a horror movie, except one of us was in charge of how it proceeded. Sometimes it's nice to turn what's designed to be a solitary experience and turn it into a group experience. I know that Silent Hill was elevated for me because of the reactions and the input of friends as we played. And by default you don't really get that experience with most games these days unless you create it yourself.

Also: not everyone has the time or money or energy to keep up with all the games coming out, so being able to watch them in a potentially shorter amount of time lets them keep up with their interests despite their own personal life constraints. There are a ton of games released all the time, and I can't imagine how anyone could manage to keep up with it all unless they're lucky enough to not have a "traditional" job and life responsibilities.
Watching someone else play Silent Hill 2 is what got me into survival horror games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I watch people play video games all the time on Twitch.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #27
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Watching someone else play Silent Hill 2 is what got me into survival horror games.
There are moments in my gaming history that I will never forget. Among the top is the first time I ever saw Pyramid Head.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #28
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

It's the only way I can enjoy most RPGs since I'm totally blind. I guess other blindies would call it listening, but I don't know. I guess I watch in my own way. My absolute favs have to be the Batman Arkham and Telltale games. I enjoy quite a few of them though. Thank God for Youtube. The Resident Evil games also come to mind. Those have been favs since the late 90s.
blindturtle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #29
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I love watching some do speedruns of games that I normally would suck at.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #30
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I've sat and watched people play older games. Like the James and Mike on the Cinemassacre channel. It's fun to hear people's comments on things. As far as modern games, I've never really given it a shot. I've got a buddy who's wife watches him play through things like Uncharted. I could see how a game like that could be enjoyable. But hey, I've got Last of Us rotting on my PS4, because I don't dig the gameplay at all. Maybe that's one I should watch.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #31
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Depends on the game. As far as "modern" games go, I've watched playthroughs of the FNAF series given my curiosity of them...and my comp sucks for games these days. This one is pushing six years old. Wish I could afford a new one.

Anyway, seems outside of Game Attack (I mainly watch for them, not the games) and Cinnemasscre's James & Mike plays, I usually don't watch them. I decided to watch the latest James and Mike play because it was Sonic 2, my fav of the Genesis Sonic titles as a kid. Like I said, it depends on the game.

Anyway, I prefer reviews, like Game Sack, for example where they pick a theme and review games based around that theme. I like the fact that they have a large library of games to choose from and showcase games that aren't constantly highlighted elsewhere, whether it's from Japan or Europe or the US...lot's of variety and many systems. Like for the PlayStation ep, I think they were like, "Yeah, Final Fantasy VII, good game, yadda yadda...next." Most people would go on and on about it, but it's so mainstream, I don't recall them spending a lot of time on it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
Icebot
Foot Elite

I love watching people play video games, especially the Let's Plays on YouTube. I'm thinking about playing Zelda 2 for NES and Zelda: A Link to the Past but I'm not really sure what to do and I think I might play them while watching Let's plays so they can guide me through them.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #33
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I only watch for help getting past something or if I get stuck.

Speedruns and Perfect Ranks are fun to watch because I can't do those and don't really care.

AVGN videos are more for laughs. I like the Monday videos to see what they think of the games but sometimes it's a game I found interesting but never played.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #34
Overlord

I watch a Youtube-series with a guy who grew up with NES playing NES-games with his son.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #35
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I loved a good funny play though from time to time.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #36
Overlord

But I think it's funnier if the persons playing also talk while playing.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #37
Dork of 1987
Random Punk

Are we talking about someone silently playing a video game, someone joking around while playing video games, or someone giving you verbal walkthroughs and commentary while playing a video game?

The last I cannot stand and refuse to watch because I find way too many of these guys that fill up dead air by pointing out the obvious. The first I prefer when I need help with a tough boss or finding a secret, preferring that over a lot of hard to understand written walkthroughs. The middle I watch here and then when the mood strikes me, being a fan of guys like jim sterling, game grumps, jacksepticeye, and markiplier.
Dork of 1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #38
Overlord

I used to watch someone playing Sim City for SNES some years ago.