The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

What do your friends/ family think bout tmnt collection?

I am 34 and have loved the turtles since I was 5. I grew up and away from the tmnt but in the past 4 years I have found my childhood again. My question to you is what does your family think? I am older, so many people would assume this is a childish obsession. My wife likes it, my brothers think I am crazy. Input?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Never met a soul who had something bad to say, & I'm fanatic. Generally, folks only think of things as weird if you are. I'm a pretty cool/normal guy (at least superficially) so it doesn't phase anybody. + just about everyone loves or at least respects the TMNT.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Oh I am the typical normal male myself, just my brothers give me a bit of a hard time. Most everyone likes my collection or at least doesn't say otherwise. My wife thinks I'm obsessed but digs the collection and even helps me make decisions. Obviously the kids love it
Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

I think it's different if you have liked it life long or for years rather than getting into it as an adult, I don't really talk about my interest in it, people just think I watch it with my son as he loves it. (which isn't untrue) I haven't been collecting stuff though.

Last edited by newfan; 11-21-2017 at 12:15 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

We're in the modern year of 2017.

We live in a world where fully grown adults now watch cartoons, play videogames, collect toys and read comics. The old view of, "you're a loser with no life who lives in your parents basement" mentality from the 80's and 90's no longer exists among modern society if you're into what others might see as "kid stuff" or "nerd culture."

What a time to be alive.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Most people I know are accepting of me being a fan of TMNT and my collecting that goes along with it.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Darealjstylez
Random Punk

It helped me loose my virginity
Darealjstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I don't think most people care beyond thinking it's weird.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darealjstylez View Post
It helped me loose my virginity
Baller 😎!!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I think it's different if you have liked it life long or for years rather than getting into it as an adult, I don't really talk about my interest in it, people just think I watch it with my son as he loves it. (which isn't untrue) I haven't been collecting stuff though.
I've loved it since I was five and most know that. Just picked up collecting and getting in depth with the story since inbecame an adult
I mean I don't advertise that I am a fanatic, but def don't care who knows it either.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I lived with a person who was extra particular about how the common areas in the house were decorated, and so they had an opinion with the large amount of turtle stuff in my collection.

Luckily we were able to find some semblance of common ground with the various other nerdy things I have on hand.

With the exception of a few pieces (Farley Leo Bust, Glow-in-the-Dark Funko Pops, and an awesome woodblock reproduction art piece, and my dvds) the bulk majority of my collection is in my bedroom. Which kind of makes my room look like a 9 year old boy exploded all over the room of a middle aged woman.

I do have one funny story, however.
My mother helped my roommates and I move into our most recent apartment. While helping me set up said bedroom she pleaded with me:

Just don't hang something Ninja Turtle over your bed.

To which I responded: I won't. I promise.
And instead hung up an obituary lithograph for Mel Blanc.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I bought my house last March and pretty much figured that one section of my spare room (as well as plastered throughout appropriate places) I would put some of my TMNT collection. It's not as extensive as some people's are ... but I have my 1987 series box set, my various comics and hardback books, DVDs and whatever figures I have.

Plus, I bought the 1991 MONDO Rich Kelly illustrated poster of TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze and had been waiting forever to put that up. In December of last year I started collecting the 1990 NECA 1/4th scale figures and figured those would make a perfect little spot to place the posters alongside all the Turtles that came out. In my hype for this awesome little display spot, I even went on eBay to buy the 1990 MONDO poster by Rich Kelly to go along with it.

Thankfully, my girlfriend pretty much knew I was a huge fan of the TMNT and has been super cool about all the stuff I've had or got since then.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

I got into TMNT as a kid (9 years old in 1989) and I've grown up with it ever since then. My Dad totally understands the passion of collecting and wanting to achieve certain characters/figures. Not only did he purchase my first ever TMNT figure (Rocksteady), but to this day he'll go on a search to find any I need, which is great since I live in Upstate NY (with not much around me) and he lives in Northern California.

My Mom isn't a huge fan of me continuing to collect TMNT, but she will buy TMNT things for me from time to time.

My girlfriend enjoys my collection, but isn't thrilled when I get carried away and sees numerous random packages showing up at the apartment when I should be conserving my money a bit better. It wouldn't work if I sent these to my place of work because we also work at the same place, haha. She most definitely has really liked many of the figures and collectibles I have managed to acquire though.

As for friends, I have never been judged by anyone because a good amount of my friends have something they love to collect and they get it.

I must say I'm lucky to have the friends and family I do because it helps me enjoy the collecting a bit more.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
Navin Johnson
Stone Warrior

I never showed my collection to anyone other than my wife and kids. I did have a repair man come into the house once and he totally freaked out about it. It actually made me nervous that someone had seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
And instead hung up an obituary lithograph for Mel Blanc.
That is a very sad, but cool piece
Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #15
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

They’ve put up with my many eccentricities for years, so this isn’t anything too strange to them. Either that, or they’re so burnt out of stuff like this that they don’t even pay attention anymore.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
I've loved it since I was five and most know that. Just picked up collecting and getting in depth with the story since inbecame an adult
I mean I don't advertise that I am a fanatic, but def don't care who knows it either.
Lots of people have something they are a fan or have a collection of something, I suppose those who know you know it's just a part of you like everything else, even if it's not for them.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #17
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

My wife is always on the lookout for items I don't have
Lately though it has become tough for her to keep track.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #18
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

That is a very sad, but cool piece
It's one of my favorite pieces of Art.
It, and the rest of my collection actually, serve is a great litmus test for any potential romantic partners. If they run from the room screaming, that it was never meant to be.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

I'm 36 and I make no secret of my turtle obsession. Between my car, costumes, and collection most people are accepting but a few people in the family roll their eyes when it gets brought up.
More so than anything I get criticized for my Alopex cosplay. Folks who don't know TMNT confuse her with a furry and although I have no problem what so ever with furries I received several "hate messages" and even a death threat once condemning me to hell.
Some folks need more structure in their lives.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3

Last edited by drag0nfeathers; 11-22-2017 at 12:41 PM.
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #20
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I generally keep my collection to myself, mostly because my friends/family have little interest. I don't have much on display, as I collect mostly paper or easily file-able items. Back when I did collect the action figures/toys, I had a grand display over a least 1 wall of a room. But my days of collecting "everything" are long passed.

Last edited by MrPliggins; 11-22-2017 at 03:15 PM.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote