The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" 4

Well this is unexpected. With Rick Moranis returning and Joe Johnston returning to direct, Josh Gad set to play Moranis' grown son.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/rick-mo...ng-for-shrunk/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
Sumac
Banned

So, "Honey I shrunk our Grandkids"?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

He wants to do more than cameos so he might actually do this one. He was the main character before and sounds like it’s still a significant part.

I’m excited. The shrinking concept can work basically anywhere.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
He wants to do more than cameos so he might actually do this one. He was the main character before and sounds like it’s still a significant part.

I’m excited. The shrinking concept can work basically anywhere.
It's definitely ripe for a revisit. Like Ghostbusters Afterlife... that tech should still be lying around. And they could really do some crazy stuff now with the shrinkage and insects and all.

I wouldn't expect they'd put all their eggs in Josh Gad carrying the movie so I'm thinking Moranis is front and center.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

How incredibly odd that he would decline Ghostbusters but come back and do this. I was under the impression that he wasn't particularly fond of these films but perhaps I was mistaken.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
How incredibly odd that he would decline Ghostbusters but come back and do this. I was under the impression that he wasn't particularly fond of these films but perhaps I was mistaken.
Well, it's what would probably be an extended cameo -- if that, I doubt Tully would be given close to the same screen time as the guys -- vs. the lead in a major relaunch of a movie series he was the star in. Though if he's unretired and all I dunno why he wouldn't just do Afterlife anyway. People would love to see him again. Maybe it's as simple as it was an insultingly low money offer or he didn't like Tully's new role or how he fits (or doesn't) into the movie.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Huh! I'll take it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, I tapped out after the second one.

I really liked the original a whole bunch as a kid, and I think it still holds up pretty well, but a huge part of the appeal for me was always the practical effects. Man, movies like Starlog got a whole ton of mileage out of that movie with the behind-the-scenes articles and stuff. The concept, alone, is kind of flimsy as the premise of a full-blown modern-day movie without the draw of "How did they do that and make it look so real?", in my opinion. Like, by now we've seen way more impressive things done with CGI than merely making people bigger/smaller, so I'm not sure what the hook is in 2020. The story itself will probably be mostly-rehash, after all. I mean, they shrunk people, grew people, then shrunk people again... like, what's left? But I guess that's what they're gonna tell us.

I've literally never heard anyone ever say "I wish they'd bring THIS franchise back", but here we are. I'unno, probably won't see it but hopefully it's better than 2 and 3. I've only seen bits of 3, and based on that I can say, it will most likely be better than 3.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have enormously good memories of the first one as a kid. I don't remember the second one even a little bit, yet I know I went to the theater and saw it. I know for a fact I've never seen the third. Kind of terrified to rewatch even the first movie, even though I know I must have watched it 30 times... might be a bit ruined now, but maybe not.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:41 AM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I would not be that surprised if Rick Moranis showed up in GB3. I’m not counting on it and I know they say he was not there just wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up doing something...or it could be made up to keep him a secret.

This though makes sense from his standpoint so hopefully he returns.

Anywhere can turn into an adventure since everything pretty much becomes an entirely separate world when you shrink. Was going to suggest setting it during Christmas but a Nick TV movie used that exact idea. It was ok actually.

I don’t remember the original very much. Been a long time. I remember 2 and 3 more. Oh I totally forgot about the movie Downsizing. I wanted to see that.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:15 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I have enormously good memories of the first one as a kid. I don't remember the second one even a little bit, yet I know I went to the theater and saw it. I know for a fact I've never seen the third. Kind of terrified to rewatch even the first movie, even though I know I must have watched it 30 times... might be a bit ruined now, but maybe not.
Eh, I think the first one still holds up quite well, but as I said, a huge deal of it for me comes from how much they got out of the practical effects. Today it's all just gonna be CGI, so there's no "magic" left going forward. Like I said, they literally ran out of ideas halfway through Part 2, so what the hell's even the point of doing it again NOW with visually-cleaner but less-impressive technology? The premise itself is trite, but the execution of that premise, for me, is what made the original a really neat flick. I haven't actually seen it in a while, but every time I do, I go "Man, that's neat. That thing there, in this scene here, is really neat, considering what they had to work with." It's not a classic of cinema or anything but if you're a big whore for practical effects, like me, then it's kind of a hidden gem.

I don't think it falls apart upon re-watching at all, which is something I can't say about too many kids movies. The sequels, though... eh. I know I saw Part 2 at least twice because I rented it, but I wasn't very impressed. If I thought it was lame at age 9 I probably wouldn't like it much more now. I actually wasn't quite so cynical back then, if you can believe it.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
Luke795
Hench Mutant

There was also a TV series Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The TV Show in 1997. It lasted for 3 seasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey,...s:_The_TV_Show
Luke795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I knew there was a show but I'm amazed that it lasted THAT long. I had no idea. I think I saw one episode and didn't care for it.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I watched the original like 2 years ago, it holds up surprisingly well. I always loved that section based on honey I shrunk the kids at disney world.

I remember watching the sequel on vhs once, don't remember much, it wasn't on netflix so couldn't rewatch it. Third one I didn't even know existed, looks like a DTV movie. Apparently there was a tv show in continuity with the movies as well.

I don't see how a sequel can be made though and be interesting but whatever, the original is still good.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #15
cammy85
Stone Warrior

I remember the show being really cool. It focused on Wayne's other inventions and there was almost always a villain of the week to deal with; like what they did with Quack Pack. Being a one hour show gave them more time to tell the story which helped.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Moranis has closed his deal. Done deal, then. It's happening:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/moranis...isneys-shrunk/