The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Pokemon: I Choose You [Indigo Era Reboot,July 15th]

There's a new Pokemon movie coming to Japanese theatres, a reboot of the Indigo era..but there's one major twist...Ash's companions from that period, the equally iconic Misty and Brock, have been replaced by two new characters called Makoto and Souji

https://www.destructoid.com/two-big-...e-448271.phtml
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

Not muh Misty
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's basically an alternate universe version of Ash, this isn't the same one as the one from the main anime of course. In this universe Misty/Brock likely stay as Gym leaders like in the games and don't travel along with him, so that's why they're not there.

The weird thing though is the two new characters aren't from any games at all, they're just completely made up. They should have just had Ash travel alone then with no companions at all, to make it similar to the games.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
ssjup81
Foot Elite

They'll only appear in the end credits. Kind of crappy though that they don't include actual Kanto characters, especially those two.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
They'll only appear in the end credits. Kind of crappy though that they don't include actual Kanto characters.
LOL, they even replaced Gary with a new rival too. Prof. Oak and Team Rocket are still there, and of course Delia.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

I'm pretty sick of this era in general. Gen 4 specials when?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL, they even replaced Gary with a new rival too. Prof. Oak and Team Rocket are still there, and of course Delia.
Who's Delia?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Who's Delia?
Ash's mom.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Ash's mom.
Oh, Hanako. Didn't know she had a dub name.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I mean...as much as it sucks that Misty and Brock are getting replaced, I guess it does make sense, though? Why should two Gym Leaders, one of whom was basically the head of his family in the absence of his basically deadbeat father, drop everything and zip off with some kid on his journey? I know Brock's dad took the helm back, but at that point, I bet he didn't know shi!t about the family like Brock did.

I can understand Misty leaving because of the way her sisters treated her and that she wanted to spread her wings to get out of their shadows, but still...
Old 07-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I mean...as much as it sucks that Misty and Brock are getting replaced, I guess it does make sense, though? Why should two Gym Leaders, one of whom was basically the head of his family in the absence of his basically deadbeat father, drop everything and zip off with some kid on his journey? I know Brock's dad took the helm back, but at that point, I bet he didn't know shi!t about the family like Brock did.

I can understand Misty leaving because of the way her sisters treated her and that she wanted to spread her wings to get out of their shadows, but still...
Well this is also an AU, Misty/Brock may not even have siblings in this movie universe. They're probably more similar to their game incarnations where they're teenagers and more experienced trainers.

The anime versions of Misty/Brock were extremely toned down from their game incarnations. Misty went from being an experienced Gym leader to the youngest of 4 sisters and a runaway with no real experience. Brock went from being a serious Gym leader to a guy desperate to get a girlfriend and forced to take care of a family.

Since this is not in the continuity of the main anime, they simply don't have those issues now.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well even with that in mind, they're probably not going to zip off from their responsibilities at the gym to help out the kid that defeated them.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

If they replace all why not replace Ash too? Why overwrite his past? So dumb.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
sdp
-

It's not going to be "based on the games" we already had that with Origins. The reason Ash needs companions is because characters need someone to interact with, this is not something necessary in a game but crucial in a show or movie.

I doubt this is an Alternate Universe, the fact that it has different characters and the legendary of SM means its likely a dream or something along those lines most likely caused by "mischief" of the legendary. They want to squeeze nostalgia as well as promote the Ultra games at the same time.

I was super hyped for this movie as I wanted a movie version of the first episode, so yeah we didn't need misty outside a cameo as she didn't really join Ash until the second episode and Brock even later and this movie didn't seem like it would deal with Ash getting badges but more about Ho-Oh and basically expanding the origin.

But yeah now we likely have this movie that is only partially based on the first episode but not really. So now the nostalgia card is lost on us older fans and the younger fans will still complain about only pandering to use. It's a lose lose for them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There's a new Pokemon movie coming to Japanese theatres, a reboot of the Indigo era..but there's one major twist...Ash's companions from that period, the equally iconic Misty and Brock, have been replaced by two new characters called Makoto and Souji

https://www.destructoid.com/two-big-...e-448271.phtml
The nostalgic interest would come from Misty and Brock. Never cared for replacement friends like Tracey or May. I would have thought any sort of revival would be obligated to include Misty and Brock. Ah, well. I will pass. Hope the Lab to starters are highlighted.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

LOL This has to be a big F You to Kanto Anime fans, I wasn't a fan of either Misty's or Gary's characters but

Poke shippers were looking forward to this too
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
Guile
Banned

Eh. I'll just watch the Indigo League episodes on Netflix.
Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
sdp
-

Apparently this movie is indeed just a hot mess. It's a reboot that will never be followed upon, the story it tries to tell is not that interesting with a few different stories patched together and afterthoughts thrown in without a decent conclussion, by trying to pander and promote the new games it ends up alienating both type of Pokemon fans whether you like Gen 1 or hate Gen 1.

So all around a big miss, what the hell where they thinking.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #19
ELTRUTREWOP
Banned

Indigo era the best
ELTRUTREWOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Apparently this movie is indeed just a hot mess. It's a reboot that will never be followed upon, the story it tries to tell is not that interesting with a few different stories patched together and afterthoughts thrown in without a decent conclussion, by trying to pander and promote the new games it ends up alienating both type of Pokemon fans whether you like Gen 1 or hate Gen 1.

So all around a big miss, what the hell where they thinking.
When I first heard of this film going back to the Gen I stuff, I was kind of hyped for it. I was actually going to consider seeing an actual Pokemon movie in theaters...until I found out that Takeshi and Kasumi weren't going to even be in it. Then I heard of the plot and my interest completely dropped.

I figured it was going to be an anniversary movie. I was assuming that maybe Satoshi was retelling the story to his new friends or something. So yeah, by the sounds of it, I could see it alienating both sets of fans, but I can't help but wonder what the first weekend gross for this film will be...or is. I don't know when it went to theaters. I just know that Pokemon movies always go to theaters in July.