The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

DC Villain Profiles

I thought about this thread for a while. I am of DC preference and a Batfan. I have a love of the villain side as well and thought about posting pieces about various villains in the DC Universe and discussing the different ones that I post or whatever you all post a write up on. The frequency of the villains I post will depend upon participation. Hope you like the idea.

I will start with a reluctant villain,Blockbuster (Mark Desmond). He first appeared in Detective Comics#345(1965) and reoccurred until his death in 1987 22 years later. He was once a chemist who ingested a steroid he developed to give him super strength. The reason why he wanted super strength was never explained. Despite not being a true villain he was incorporated into the villain team Secret Society of Super Villains to act as the team's muscle. Mark had a history of being used by others. Originally his older brother a low level criminal in the Gotham underworld,Roland took advantage for financial gain and against Batman once Batman and Robin got involved. From that point on an interesting yet strange plot twist developed. Mark is near mindless capabilities saw Batman as trying to hurt him so he wanted to kill Batman for harming him. However, when they middle school aged Mark was an acquaintance of Bruce Wayne who saved him from drowning.Somehow after his accidental mutation he remembers this and when Bruce removes his cowl he stops his rampage to kill Batman. He listens to only Bruce Wayne and his brother Roland. An interesting side note is that Roland was held off by Dick "Robin" Grayson in his first appearance alongside his behemoth brother and thirty two years later they will face each other multiple times over Roland's control of Bludhaven. After his involvement with the super villain organization he would try to help a suicidal woman in her twenties on Christmas Eve. He apparently died when saving her after Batman misunderstood the situation from the nearly nonverbal monster. He washed up on the shore of northern Virginia and wondered into a West Virginia mining town where was taken in and found peace. X years later he was recruited by the government to join the Suicide Squad despite not having any prison sentence to work off. Perhaps a cure for his condition was offered for his participation? I am honestly not sure. In the inception mission Blockbuster was killed off against the Brimstone creature saving the day for the Suicide Squad. After that he did appear except for a flashback story in Batgirl Year One which depicted Robin (Dick Grayson) and Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) stopping him from derailing a subway train and harming the passengers. I am curious of the level of super strength of Blockbuster compared to others. He held his own if not overpowered Superwoman who I would believe would have equal the super strength of her counterpart Wonder Woman. Especially when compared to the other two muscle focused Bat Rogues Killer Croc and Bane. During most of Mark's 22 year run as a reluctant villain he was the lone muscle focused villain in the Batman Rogues Gallery.

Ironically his brother was dusted off and he suffered an accident to become just like his brother was. However, Roland unlike Mark was truly evil. A couple of years after he was mutated he sold his sold to Neron to become hyper intelligent to match his super strength Perhaps aside from gaining a Kingpin-like role over Gotham's little sister city, his best arc was when he put a hit on Oracle(Barbara Gordon)'s head for her hacking into his crime syndicate's computer mainframe and taking all of his resources away. Roland like his brother would be killed off. Roland's death was controversial for Dick Grayson because Nightwing allowed for it to happen instead of stop it. This would be played up again in Blackest Night when everyone's demons are revisited with the zombie Black Lantern Corps.

The New 52 came and went and during that time Mark Desmond as Blockbuster was back from the dead more than a quarter century after being dead to fight low level heroes Hawk and DOve alongside c-list Batman villain Signal Man never to be seen again before the Rebirth. Roland is back as Blockbuster instead as Dick Grayson recent encountered him. Will Roland serve as Nightwing's archenemy? Time will tell.

In other media I believe Blockbuster I was used to serve as a background character alongside KGBeast during the Bat-embargo in the SSoV in Justice League's final season and used as a fairly minor character in Batman:The Brace and The Bold. Roland appeared as Penguin's right-hand man in the recent Batman:The Telltale Series. While Blockbuster has had other media exposure he never got a prominent role in anything to date.

Should the reluctant villain that was Blockbuster I be brought back full time or is Roland, the evil brother a more effective villain? Thoughts on the Blockbuster brothers?

Mark Desmond aka Blockbuster I
Roland Desmond aka Blockbuster II

Roland Desmond pre-mutation.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I only know Blockbuster from the original Nightwing run. Apparently they're bringing him back for the current Nightwing title, which feels awfully retread...

I'd read on Wikipedia that he was really Blockbuster II, but never came across the old stuff or the first brother in any of my reading.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I only know Blockbuster from the original Nightwing run. Apparently they're bringing him back for the current Nightwing title, which feels awfully retread...

I'd read on Wikipedia that he was really Blockbuster II, but never came across the old stuff or the first brother in any of my reading.
I copy and pasted the first Blockbuster's list of chronological appearances
Spoiler:
Detective Comics #345 (November 1965): "The Blockbuster Invasion of Gotham City"
Detective Comics #349 (March 1966): "The Blockbuster Breaks Loose"
Justice League of America #46 (August 1966): "Crisis Between Earth-One and Earth-Two!"
Justice League of America #47 (September 1966): "The Bridge Between Earths"
Batman #194 (August 1967): "The Blockbuster Goes Bat-Mad"
Batgirl: Year One #8 (September 2003): "Chapter Eight: Seasoned Crime-Fighter"
Justice League of America #135 (October 1976): "Crisis in Eternity!"
Secret Society of Super-Villains #12 (January 197: "The Plunder Plan!"
Secret Society of Super-Villains #13 (March 197: "One Earth Too Many"
Secret Society of Super-Villains #14 (April-May 197: "Crisis on Earth-3 (Reprise)"
Secret Society of Super-Villains #15 (June-July 197: "The Wizard's War of the Worlds"
Cancelled Comic Cavalcade #2/11 (fall 197: "Murder Times Seven"
Justice League of America #166 (May 1979): "The Long Way Home"
Justice League of America #167 (June 1979): "The League That Defeated Itself"
Justice League of America #168 (July 1979): "The Last Great Switcheroo"
Batman #308 (February 1979): "There'll be a Cold Time in the Old Town Tonight" (Cameo only)
Batman #309 (March 1979): "Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas"
Detective Comics #498 (January 1981): "Night of the Savage"
Detective Comics #499 (February 1981): "Allies in the Shadows"
Wonder Woman Vol. 1 #294 (August 1982): "Rampage"
Crisis on Infinite Earths #5 (August 1985): "Worlds in Limbo"
Crisis on Infinite Earths #9 (December 1985): "War Zone"
Crisis on Infinite Earths #10 (January 1986): "Death at the Dawn of Time!"
Legends #3 (January 1987): "Send For... the Suicide Squad!"-Death

Of the appearances I would recommend Detective Comics#345 which he debuts in and Batman#309. He is an interesting character in small doses. I just read the SSoV title appearances and Detective Comics#498/499 story. He is not a favorite,but a character that can be sympathetic and viewed as not inherently evil.

The one you know from the Nightwing run, his older brother and successor of the name,first appeared alongside Blockbuster in Detective Comics#345. I do hope Roland Desmond's revival will not be a retread of the Nightwing ongoing arc from 1996 through 2004 but it adds to what I have been saying about Dick Grayson having no solid direction as Nightwing. I would prefer to see Mark Desmond,the first one used again. New 52 teased it but never did anything with it.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why does Batman have a mustache in those comic pages? Looks like some crime mob boss rather than Bruce Wayne.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why does Batman have a mustache in those comic pages? Looks like some crime mob boss rather than Bruce Wayne.
Matches Malone, probably; his mob disguise.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Long story short, that is Roland Desmond he is disguised as. Roland Desmond was Blockbuster's low level gangster brother who took advantage of his brother a chemist after an experiment goes wrong making his a brainless hulk. Blockbuster as he would be called listened to only two people. One was Roland Desmond and the other was Bruce Wayne. Batman for whatever reason could not risk removing his cowl so he projected Roland's face over Batman's to keep Blockbuster from killing Batman.

Later on Roland, the brother who took advantage of Blockbuster will become Blockbuster after his brother dies. However, it was a freak accident not him injecting himself with his brother's failed experiment. Does that clear everything up?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The next profile is one more recognizable and in fact the widest appeared villain that could be considered DC wide despite starting as Teen Titans or simply Titans specific,Deathstroke. Originally referred to as simply, The Terminator(interestingly it was three years before the Arnold Schwarzenegger lead series debuted in theaters),Slade Wilson had a wife and three kids but the thrill of the job took a life of its own and his compulsion to finish the job ultimately tore his family apart. His elder son tried to get his father's approval by becoming an assassin, that and the Titans damaged his home. Deathstroke took pity on the college aged son and took his contract which had to be completed by compulsion and got Deathstroke a guy who couldn't let the job he loved go introduce him into the world of superheroes and super villains. I do not understand why being inmate with a high school sophomore, who is younger than two of his three kids is an effective plot point to convince her to be a mole. There are other ways like helping her secure her place on Markovia or teach her how to use her powers. What is interesting is he way a key player that took place over 55 issues and ended in his seventh appearance in that span in a coffee shop talking with Beast Boy. Next thing we know he has a hiatus and is dusted off to get his own comic. I am surprised he got his own comic back in 1990. Deathstoke from there became DC wide. Pinning a specific hero on him is difficult but perhaps Dick Grayson would fit best. He has personal history with both Batman and Green Arrow as well as Beast Boy as mentioned above. Cool in design the assassin has a fanbase and is like an evil Captain America. He did not have to go down this road as he was a family man,but ended up as one of DC's most notorious villains. I found this write up on his history on Blogspot to go into details on his character's history throughout his years of appearances. On a final note while Deathstroke is as vile as they come he has been an anti-hero even working with The Titans a few times so what would you say drives this character more than anything?
http://lidoshuffle1.blogspot.com/201...athstroke.html
Deathstroke vs Wolverine

Spoiler:
Image was too big.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This time I will highlight The Gentleman Ghost also known as Jim Craddock of 1800s' Britain. He started as a Hawkman villain but plagued other superheroes as well notably Batman whom he fought on four occasions(3 of those were between 1979-1983)and fought the Justice Society of America.He oddly popped up in one of the few Batman villain gatherings but it was not necessarily out of place since it took place in the above stretch he faced Batman more than once but in a gathering of The Rogues just into Wally's stint of the Flash was odd never encountering any of them before. So while Hawkman is his main foe he branches out. His origin varies but the main origin is he is an actual ghost who was sentenced to hanging but keeping his promise he continued to commit jewel heist for the beyond. At times he is transported to the present(his future) as it depends on the origin. Gentlamn Ghost would go to appear in one episode of Superfriends, The All-New Super Friends Hour season and was a reoccuring villain in Batman:The Brave and The Bold. He haas had a cameo in Justice League episode of Unilimited Titled Ancient History facing Green Lantern(John Stewart) and Hawkman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPqwaz6SUQ

Thoughts on this supernatural foe that is an adversary Hawkman(only one aside from Shadow Thief and minor sense Hath Set) and the DCU at large?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Whoa, you sure put in some effort here my man. Mad respect for that.

It's fun introducing Kids who grow up with Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go to the eighties New Teen Titans series I used to read and have them go "Man those are so dark and awesome."

Much of it comes from the artistry.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Whoa, you sure put in some effort here my man. Mad respect for that.

It's fun introducing Kids who grow up with Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go to the eighties New Teen Titans series I used to read and have them go "Man those are so dark and awesome."
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6bUK6HEZE...1600/ntt34.png
Much of it comes from the artistry.
I came into the world during Batman: Year One's original publication, but thanks to Batman: The Animated Series I developed a preference for the Silver and Bronze Age. As a result I have a notable Batman title, Detective Comics, Justice League of America, Brave and the Bold, and New Teen Titans runs. I prefer Dick Grayson as a part of the Dynamic Duo than on his own as Nightwing. He needs someone to play off of to showcase his strengths. New Teen Titans fell flat after the Robin to Nightwing transition, Donna's creepy marriage, and the Deathstroke arc folded with that coffee shop encounter in the mountains. I knew the comics a little before the show came out and never got into it like I did Justice League (2002). If it will get comments I will do Shade next. I have the profile written out on a word document,but never posted it due to the lack of response.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The Shade alias, Richard Swift is a golden age villain who shows the surprising staying power of Jay Garrick’s foes. Along with the likes of Fiddler, Ragdoll, Thinker, Icicle, and the first ever evil opposite Rival and love interest gone bad like Rose & Thorne or redeemed villainess Harlequin ( not to be confused with Harley Quinn). Well enough of Garrick’s rogues, the character was inspired by The Divine Comedy, an Italian States epic poem from the early 1300s. To quote, his bio, “the various characters in the story referred to as "the Shade" are references to the perpetual darkness of Hell itself. The comic book villain "The Shade" uses his power of perpetual night to cast a blanket of darkness over various parts of the world. In darkness, evil triumphs. Richard Swift is notable as being the villain that revealed the multiverse. In Flash vol. 1.#123 (1961) Barry Allen meets Jay Garrick in pursuit of the Earth-2 villain along with Fiddler and Thinker. He would later be a minor threat in the JLA/JSA team up with the Marvel Family in JLA#136 (1975). The Shade often teamed with other villains in the Silver Age and Bronze Age which might have inspired his inclusion in three separate Justice League (2001-2006) episodes all of which he took part in villainous groups. Later on he would reform and show he power of prolonged life. He mentored Jack Knight, the post-crisis Starman and son of the original, Ted Knight. It was during this time he had a retconned and expanded back story placing him in the 1830s’ Britain at the start of Queen Victoria’s reign when he survived a mystical attack that gave him his powers. In part to his reformation he assisted the 1999 incarnation of the JSA on occasion while residing in Opal city. He also notably helped Gree[n Arrow after Prometheus’s attack that destroyed a part of Star City, killing Roy Harper’s daughter and maiming Roy. Since then he has appeared in minor roles in both the New 52 and Rebirth. Just before the New 52 he received his own 12 issue maxi-series. He is a compelling character who deserves more attention. I thought he would after Justice League (2001) introduced him to my generation. Time will tell. What are your thoughts on Richard Swift alias The Shade?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I came into the world during Batman: Year One's original publication, but thanks to Batman: The Animated Series I developed a preference for the Silver and Bronze Age. As a result I have a notable Batman title, Detective Comics, Justice League of America, Brave and the Bold, and New Teen Titans runs. I prefer Dick Grayson as a part of the Dynamic Duo than on his own as Nightwing. He needs someone to play off of to showcase his strengths. New Teen Titans fell flat after the Robin to Nightwing transition, Donna's creepy marriage, and the Deathstroke arc folded with that coffee shop encounter in the mountains. I knew the comics a little before the show came out and never got into it like I did Justice League (2002). If it will get comments I will do Shade next. I have the profile written out on a word document,but never posted it due to the lack of response.
I don't know, when during the "Knightsend" saga, Nightwing worked together with Robin (Tim Drake) we got to see Dick Grayson at the other end of the thing, he was now fulfilling the Batman role to Drake's Robin.

It was pretty awesome.

Dick Grayson as Batman
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I enjoy that storyline and seeing Dick as one half of the Dynamic Duo once again. I prefer Battle for The Cowl to Batman: Leviathian during its 3ish year run of awesomness.

If you have any comment on any of the profiles I would like to read them.

So Blockbuster, Deathstroke, Gentleman Ghost, and now The Shade. Who will be next?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 02-11-2019 at 10:02 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Good stuff guys.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

One thing I failed to mention in his profile is I have only read a very few Flash stories with Barry Allen in the lead. One of them is #298/299 which featured The Shade in his first ever heroic turn as the debuting Rainbow Raider stole all the color from Earth-2 and forced twice the color unto Earth-1. Very odd story for 1980, but it was the beginning of the gentleman crook. i read it because of the note on The Shade who I became curious about thanks to the Jusitce League cartoon.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The Mad Hatter is a long running and notable character who is either dismissed as creepy or a hypnosis gimmick. He debuted in the same issue as Vickie Vale, Batman’s Golden Age and early Silver Age girlfriend. He did not have a name and was after a trophy in a yacht heist. He had the appearance of the Alice In Wonderland character though had brown hair. He appeared again, 8 full years later, but looked completely different. Hatter has had a history of inconsistent physical appearances and this is the beginning of it. Detective#230 actually set a status quo that he was simply a compulsive hat thief and now has red hair and a mustache. He would retain the look from 1956 until 1981. The second appearance in this form and third overall would be adapted into a two-parter in Batman (1966) portrayed by David Wayne. He would get a follow up in the series. The character would be given the name Jervis Tetch and attempt to reform, but the thrill of robbery got the best of him. Gerry Conway soon after reverted the character back to his 1st appearance, despite the now Imposter being given the name Jervis Tetch we have only seen the real Mad Hatter once back in 1948, who had been in Arkham for a decade and his life stolen by the hat collector. He now has the mind controlling chip gimmick and a pet chimp. The Imposter Hatter would show up again despite Jervis murdering his imposter during a few issue span where COIE was taking hold and continuity was not clear, being one of two pathetic villains who nearly killed Jason Todd. The Imposter would be rebranded as Hatman and referred to just one more time in Batman#700. Batman: TAS adds more to the Alice In Wonderland gimmick and adds to the inconsistent appearance that began between his first and second appearance, Brown hair? Red hair? Blonde hair? White hair? Short? Average height? Jervis gets a creepy angle added in Robin: Year One kidnapping middle school girls and dressing them up as Alice. Around that time Hatter took control of the GCPD by lacing their coffee. Later on he was portrayed as sympathetic unable to have any one to care about him causing a heartbreaking short-lived stint with The Secret Six that featured the Deadshot/Catman bromance. He does have a friendship with Scarecrow though. Aside from David Wayne portraying the one who would become The Imposter Mad Hatter/Hatman he had minor appearances in Batman: Brave and the Bold with this design. Mad Hatter an arc in Gotham in an odd scenario where he was the protective older brother to Alice who had a blood disease that caused blind rage. I have wanted to see him in a film, but he has yet to have the opportunity. His handful of episodes in the three seasons of Batman: TAS remain the most memorable for me when it comes to the character. Thoughts on the character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg madhatter.jpg (105.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
This time I will highlight The Gentleman Ghost also known as Jim Craddock of 1800s' Britain. He started as a Hawkman villain but plagued other superheroes as well notably Batman whom he fought on four occasions(3 of those were between 1979-1983)and fought the Justice Society of America.He oddly popped up in one of the few Batman villain gatherings but it was not necessarily out of place since it took place in the above stretch he faced Batman more than once but in a gathering of The Rogues just into Wally's stint of the Flash was odd never encountering any of them before. So while Hawkman is his main foe he branches out. His origin varies but the main origin is he is an actual ghost who was sentenced to hanging but keeping his promise he continued to commit jewel heist for the beyond. At times he is transported to the present(his future) as it depends on the origin. Gentlamn Ghost would go to appear in one episode of Superfriends, The All-New Super Friends Hour season and was a reoccuring villain in Batman:The Brave and The Bold. He haas had a cameo in Justice League episode of Unilimited Titled Ancient History facing Green Lantern(John Stewart) and Hawkman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPqwaz6SUQ

http://alemdatorre.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=300&h=266

http://babblingsaboutdccomics4.files...at_319_005.png

Thoughts on this supernatural foe that is an adversary Hawkman(only one aside from Shadow Thief and minor sense Hath Set) and the DCU at large?
This new video goes along with this entry. I enjoy the dark yet campish two Batman stories under Wein's pen and the storyarc during Infinite Crisis that features the character. I will have to check out the other entries on Gotham Rogues' list though. They sound interesting enough.

Tags
dc comics