The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Bob
Stone Warrior

Thumbs up New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie Set For Christmas 2013!

Its official, Jonathon Liebesman is directing, and they describe it as being a “live-action-CGI combo”. Guess the Turtles and Splinter will be motion-capture, just as I thought. After Planet of the Apes, this is a good decision, IMO. Don’t like the idea of putting it up against The Hobbit part 2, though. That’s a bit iffy. I would have thought TMNT would lend itself to the summer season perfectly.

Oh well, at least we know now it is official. Start getting excited!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/para...omment-2340381
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

SWEET! Glad it's official.

This is actually the news that I was excited about a couple weeks ago, but couldn't share. ^_^
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Thumbs up

Glad to see something is finally on the ground running after changing release dates and writers and over all plot. It all seems promising so cheers to the team and looking forward to more screen time for the Green Team!

So now lets start guessing the chances we have of Shredder being involved! I always perferred to have the big bad in thier at least to some capacity.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Its official, Jonathon Liebesman is directing, and they describe it as being a “live-action-CGI combo”. Guess the Turtles and Splinter will be motion-capture, just as I thought. After Planet of the Apes, this is a good decision, IMO. Don’t like the idea of putting it up against The Hobbit part 2, though. That’s a bit iffy. I would have thought TMNT would lend itself to the summer season perfectly.

Oh well, at least we know now it is official. Start getting excited!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/para...omment-2340381
This is great news. Thanks for sharing the link.

–ms
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

It's hard to believe that they've finally got their act together for a new film.

I wonder if they'll use the "live-action" turtle costumes in the picture!
http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-...0314010341.jpg

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Uki
Hench Mutant

I just read this at Superherohype.com-although they said that the director wasn't confirmed... In any event, this is AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!

I'm so excited!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yes, it's good to hear that the "lightening" of the script has been completed to everyone's satisfaction...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 2013 date will hopefully hold. By that point the Nick cartoon will be in its second season and the IDW comics in its third year....perfect time to kickstart the height of Nick's TMNT era.

Hopefully the movie does well and brings tons of fans to the comics and shows.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Bob
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yes, it's good to hear that the "lightening" of the script has been completed to everyone's satisfaction...
I've heard of this "lightening" thing before. Care to explain it/who said it? Was it originally too dark?

Also, I read the same story over at Hollywood Reporter and Variety. They also both said it will be a combo of live-action and CGI and, more importantly, they both said that the budget will be 100 million dollars. I must say, for this day and age and for this type of film, 100 million dollars is pretty moderate. Still, it will be easier to make a profit and ensure a franchise this way.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
I don't think any of us have truly been expecting a darker TMNT film for awhile.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant

For a lark, I decided to look up the release dates of the prior movies. Apparently, they've all been released in March. If Wikipedia is off, feel free to yell at them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage...s_(film_series)

Weird to break tradition like that, but whatever. Glad the project is moving forward, and maybe I can finally have Utrom Baxter on the screen. Heh. Just kidding... mostly.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Why do I even bother reading threads when I see the last poster and can tell what was said.

Example: I saw that Andrew was the last poster in this thread (at one point), so I knew anything said would be about how the movie isn't Mirage and will therefor suck.

Don't even have to open the flippin' thread.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I've heard of this "lightening" thing before. Care to explain it/who said it?
No, not really.

Look, I'm not trying to be Negative Nancy here, but when a person of whose opinion is absolutely paramount in this franchise reads the script and goes, "it's the best Turtles story I've ever read anywhere, period!" and then a few weeks later you hear, "It's being completely rewritten to be lightened up" (when it was already in a PG/barely PG-13 territory)... that kind of gives me cause for concern.

It may be for nothing. It's very possible there's a new vision being brought to light that's even better than before. I hope so, I really do. There's few things that would give me greater joy on the big screen than sitting down with my popcorn and flask (hey, it's like they say: it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, and watching TMNT movies is a bit like playing Russian Roulette by yourself with like 3 bullets already in the chamber) and watching a truly awesome, definitive TMNT movie.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-13-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Bob
Stone Warrior

Quote:
No. Not really.

Look, I'm not being Negative Nancy here, but when a person of whose opinion is absolutely paramount in this franchise reads the script and goes, "it's the best Turtles story I've ever read anywhere, period!" and then a few weeks later you hear, "It's being completely rewritten to be lightened up" (when it was already in a PG/PG-13 territory)... that kind of gives me cause for concern.

It may be for nothing. It's very possible there's a new vision being brought to light that's even better than before. I hope so, I really do.
I don't want you to think I was being confrontational before, I just genuinely didn't know.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Donnie
Something from the Past

It really sucks that it was rewritten from what was rated so highly by Kevin (that's who said it right?), and that gives me cause for concern too. I just don't understand why they can't do a spin-off of a TMNT movie 1 feel and still please the kiddies. Maybe they are, I dunno. I'm hopeful and just glad this news has been made official, finally!

Question: what does this mash up of CGI/live action mean? Will there actually be guys in costumes or not? I don't understand this in between stuff. Is it like Gollum in LotR?
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Question: what does this mash up of CGI/live action mean? Will there actually be guys in costumes or not? I don't understand this in between stuff. Is it like Gollum in LotR?
Given the budget, I'm thinking guys in suits with CGI assists for eyes, lip movements and possible ALL-CGI for quick bits of action that would be awkward/cumbersome/damaging to the costumes to have guys in suits do.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Alright, some news! I hope that during this year we get more news on the film.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Mikey, either what Andrew said, or like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, we'll have 4 guys in motion capture suits who are later removed in favor of all CG turtles.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Mikey, either what Andrew said, or like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, we'll have 4 guys in motion capture suits who are later removed in favor of all CG turtles.
Given the budget I'd be really surprised, even shocked if the TMNT we see in the movie the whole time are CGI. Real costumes with CGI assists mean they can save on CGI rendering and save (pretty much entirely) on animatronics while leaning on CGI only where absolutely necessary.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Assuming there are no other mutants in the movie other than the Turtles/Splinter, (and there shouldn't be), I don't see why they can't do it similar to the first live action movie.

CG would be used for the Turtles jumping on rooftops or aerial battles that the costumes couldn't do.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live action films