The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I hear what you're saying about Iron Man 3, in that it received some hardcore fan backlash, due to it's treatment of the Mandarin. While you didn't exactly say it bombed, you replied to a post about Marvel films never bombing, and questioned it's logic while using this film as an example, so...
I still wouldn't measure it as a "failure" in any sense of the word though. Many hardcore Iron Man fan's, such as myself, did enjoy it. I'm not worried about the Mandarin whatsoever.
Lol touche

Quote:
War didn't receive any measurable amount of backlash, compared to the praise it received. While neither of us can articulate the true general consensus, it's my perception that most people who read the comic consider the film an improvement over it. I certainly do.

I mean you can't really compare the two fairly, but I'd say Civil War has that breathtaking Steve McNiven art, a fantastic concept, and terrible execution, when it comes to the script.
The Civil War film tells a much more emotional story, with mostly believable character moments, unlike the book where it's generally believed that Tony Stark went completely batshit crazy..

I'm getting into the nitty-gritty, but my point is, you really need a great argument to call out the Civil War film. Most people love it.
We must run in different circles bc most people I talk to was disappointed. The saving grace of that movie was Spider-man's premiere in the MCU, but Black Panther was also amazing though!

I thought the comic was a little more emotional and a little more impact, bc a hero actually died, in the movie there was no consequence to their actions. No one died and everyone just went there separate ways.

Quote:
regards to studio's making money overseas, I don't believe that they're all too concerned with where the money comes from. Would you be? They want to make their money back one way or another. In fact, many Hollywood films have begun to even pander to foreign audiences, by setting film locale's in places like Japan, in order to draw in more of the foreign market.

At the end of the day, I'm defending the original post claiming that Marvel are the "golden child" of the industry right now. Meaning that they receive mostly critical praise and do great in the box-office. I hear your criticisms about the films though and can respect them.
It would be concerning if you rely that heavily on overseas profits and then China decides to ban/pull ur movie which has happened to a movie or two if I remember already.

Anyway to the actual topic it is impossible for this year to be the best comic book movie, bc there was no TMNT movie
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #22
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Lol touche

We must run in different circles bc most people I talk to was disappointed. The saving grace of that movie was Spider-man's premiere in the MCU, but Black Panther was also amazing though!

I thought the comic was a little more emotional and a little more impact, bc a hero actually died, in the movie there was no consequence to their actions. No one died and everyone just went there separate ways.

It would be concerning if you rely that heavily on overseas profits and then China decides to ban/pull ur movie which has happened to a movie or two if I remember already.

Anyway to the actual topic it is impossible for this year to be the best comic book movie, bc there was no TMNT movie
C'mon! Black Panther and Spider-Man's MCU debut! You're right, it was totally awesome!
There were consequences to Civil War though. Look at Infinity War and how divided the heroes were. We've gotten to see the aftermath of Civil War playout. I think it's been a lot of fun.
It's the consequences of Infinity War I'm worried about. Though, at this point, I should probably trust the Russo bros to deliver.

Fair point about China box office. I hadn't considered that, but I still think the studios are happy to recoup and felt successful enough to warrant sequels, which in itself points to success.

And damn it, now I'm defending Iron man 3. I want to take it back!!

But no, I still think the movie was more good than bad. You guys reminded me of the fire-breathing humans and how badly the filmmakers failed the "Exodus" story by Warren Ellis. Could have been much better in comparison to the book.

Still, I find it a charming MCU film overall, and I'm not someone to kiss the butt of every MCU film. For context, I'm not a big fan of Dr. Strange, the Thor films, The Guardian films, and a few others. That IM3 Airplane scene is one of the best action scenes in the MCU. I can definitely understand the criticisms against the film though, Mandarin included.

Anyway, allow me to plug my first post, which I wasted too much time on, in order to keep us back on topic.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote