The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #61
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The first TMNT license came in the form of a role-playing game by Palladium, followed by miniatures from Dark Horse. Within a year, First Comics began to reprint the early issues in color volumes; four were produced, stopping at issue 11. These sold well, and Eastman and Laird were soon contacted by Mark Freedman, a licensing agent who believed he could make something of the Turtles. Freedman took the idea to a variety of toy companies, only to be turned down by those who felt the concept was not popular enough to support a toy line. Only one company expressed interest, a little-known California company by the name of Playmates.

History
All you guys sheeting on playmates should feel sorry for yourselves 'cos only playmates gave TMNT a chance at the time.
Basically, playmates created the nostalgia feeling of TMNT toys.....
for me at least.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #62
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, & Charles Manson wrote nice songs before he formed a psychedelic death cult. Things change.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #63
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
should feel sorry for yourselves
How about no?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #64
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

If all TRU stores close, what does that mean for Rise toys?

Will Playmates produce the same amount and expect Amazon, Walmart, Target and others to pick up the slack?

Will Rise have the lowest first wave sales of any TMNT show ever?

Will prices go up to compensate the loss of TRU sales?

Will Playmates have to cut back employment?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #65
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Will Playmates produce the same amount and expect Amazon, Walmart, Target and others to pick up the slack?

Find out next time, on Dragon Ball Z!
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #66
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
All you guys sheeting on playmates should feel sorry for yourselves 'cos only playmates gave TMNT a chance at the time.
Basically, playmates created the nostalgia feeling of TMNT toys.....
for me at least.

Playmates toys is the LAZIEST toy company ever. They don't care about adult collectors they keep NECA on a tight leash on what they can and can't do with TMNT. Also they create happy meal toys and try and pass them off as quaility action figures.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #67
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:

My guesses:

Overall production numbers will likely be lower. Other stores will likely increase orders slightly. But without a track record to know how much of Toys R Us' market share they are going to pick up, I would expect store buyers to be cautious. I'm guessing that stores may also be less enthusiastic about this reboot than the last one since there hasn't been that long of a fallow period and the initial buzz isn't terrific.

Where I suspect Toys R Us' absence will really be felt is in the variety of products that will be produced. Toys R Us has been a very strong supporter of the TMNT lines. They even continued to support the line after every other store dropped it following the 2007 movie and they were first in line to pick up exclusives for the line in 2012 even before the line hit stores. With them out of the picture, larger items like the play sets that were shown off at Toy Fair this spring may not receive enough retailer support for Playmates to actually produce them. Without Toys R Us, Rise of the TMNT could be restricted much more to just the figures with a minimal amount of vehicles and play sets, especially larger play sets and vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Playmates toys is the LAZIEST toy company ever. They don't care about adult collectors they keep NECA on a tight leash on what they can and can't do with TMNT. Also they create happy meal toys and try and pass them off as quaility action figures.
I'll agree with you about Playmates not caring about adult collectors. But they are a toy company. And adult collectors are an extremely niche market compared to the millions of kids running around that LOVE the Turtles once again thanks in part to Playmates' toys. But the good news is that since Viacom bought the property, we get to have it both ways. Playmates can continue to put out toys for kids. And adults can still support NECA, SH Figurarts, Revoltech and any of the other companies that have taken a shot at the line in the last few years. And if Playmates' products don't appeal to you, that's fine as well. Because they aren't made for you.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys

Last edited by tmntman; 04-18-2018 at 10:46 PM.
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #68
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Find out next time, on Dragon Ball Z!
Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
My guesses:

Overall production numbers will likely be lower. Other stores will likely increase orders slightly. But without a track record to know how much of Toys R Us' market share they are going to pick up, I would expect store buyers to be cautious. I'm guessing that stores may also be less enthusiastic about this reboot than the last one since there hasn't been that long of a fallow period and the initial buzz isn't terrific.

Where I suspect Toys R Us' absence will really be felt is in the variety of products that will be produced. Toys R Us has been a very strong supporter of the TMNT lines. They even continued to support the line after every other store dropped it following the 2007 movie and they were first in line to pick up exclusives for the line in 2012 even before the line hit stores. With them out of the picture, larger items like the play sets that were shown off at Toy Fair this spring may not receive enough retailer support for Playmates to actually produce them. Without Toys R Us, Rise of the TMNT could be restricted much more to just the figures with a minimal amount of vehicles and play sets, especially larger play sets and vehicles.
Hopefully Playmates can make lemonade from the lemons. Maybe offer some Amazon exclusives for play-sets or larger vehicles. I wonder if Playmates would ever offer exclusives directly from their website? Probably not because of the shipping and stuff.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #69
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Hopefully Playmates can make lemonade from the lemons. Maybe offer some Amazon exclusives for play-sets or larger vehicles. I wonder if Playmates would ever offer exclusives directly from their website? Probably not because of the shipping and stuff.
I'm sure Playmates will be willing to offer the play sets and larger vehicles to any of the remaining large toy sellers as exclusives. The problem is finding a retailer that is willing to buy them is large enough numbers to make their production financially viable.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #70
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I look at it this way. I will probably get sets like the lair if they make them. If they don't, I won't have to find a place for another giant set in my display. That is no small task. Stores like Target and Walmart carried the Sewer lairs, so I would think they will these too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #71
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I really hope we'll get some Import figures of the Rise Turtles, the sharp designs and action paced animation nearly demands to get a set of Revoltech figures, in the Amazing Yamaguchi line to be exact. So far that line has been mainly Marvel Comics figures, but Kaiyodo have shown off their coming Amazing Yamaguchi Batman, so it's not unfeasibke the line will broaden beyond Marvel/DC.

I can totally see Leo and Mikey in similar poses like Revo Deadpool and Spider-Man, or Raph in poses like Wolverine and Venom.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #72
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
I'll agree with you about Playmates not caring about adult collectors. But they are a toy company. And adult collectors are an extremely niche market compared to the millions of kids running around that LOVE the Turtles once again thanks in part to Playmates' toys. But the good news is that since Viacom bought the property, we get to have it both ways. Playmates can continue to put out toys for kids. And adults can still support NECA, SH Figurarts, Revoltech and any of the other companies that have taken a shot at the line in the last few years. And if Playmates' products don't appeal to you, that's fine as well. Because they aren't made for you.
The problem with this, is most of this stuff appeals to me less on different levels. No matter how phenomenal it may look, I don't want to spend $100+ on a 12" figure that's just gonna sit in one spot and take up space. That's just not my thing. Even a 6" at $60 is too much for me. And these companies do even less than Playmates does. OH LOOK IT'S ALL FOUR TURTLES AGAIN and maybe a Shredder that'll get canceled or delayed 100 times.

I'd gladly pay $15ish for something at Playmates figure scale but is better sculpted and articulated even if just a little, no matter who makes it. Or hell, I want some 3.75" scale figures to match the rest of my collection. It sucks that collectors of that scale literally just have four model kits for this series.

It shouldn't be this hard to make a product that appeals to more than one demographic.

Last edited by Ninjinister; 04-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #73
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:

I doubt this is going to hurt them that much. Personally, I bought the majority of my TMNT figures from Target. Outside of an exclusive, I barely bought toys at TRU as they were too expensive in comparison.

Can we go back to the days of a slightly smaller lair? That GIANT one from 2012 took up way too much space.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #74
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't know what your alternatives are in the US, I have a ton of toys in my home and they all came from other places, another toy store close by where I live or other stores which sell toys among other things.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #75
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I don't know what your alternatives are in the US, I have a ton of toys in my home and they all came from other places, another toy store close by where I live or other stores which sell toys among other things.
Sadly in the US, the stand alone toy store is all but gone. At least on a national level, most of them had merged until there were only two left, KB Toys (which operated mostly out of malls) and Toys R Us. And now both of them are going to be gone. There are some small and independent toy stores. But they are rare. Even in the city where I live which covers a population of close to half a million people, there is only one independent toy store that I know of. And most of them that I have seen avoid mass market lines because they can't compete with Walmart on price. So collectors such as ourselves who are interested in mainstream licenses such as TMNT, Star Wars, Marvel, WWE, Transformers and the likes are left with Walmart, Target and similar retailers.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #76
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I thought kb toys was making a come back to the states this year towards Christmas ?
Old 05-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #77
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
I thought kb toys was making a come back to the states this year towards Christmas ?
It might be. Though in what capacity is yet to be seen.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #78
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

As someone said above, I wasn't buying many Turtles from TRU anyways. Target and Wal Mart beat the pricing and I'm not into the playsets or vehicles. I'm bummed TRU is going away 'cos they were a solid third option, but as long as Target and Wal Mart do their thing I'm good.

I can't really remember what the buzz or hype for the 2012 Turtles felt like, but I think the lack of time between series may end up killing some of the energy for this run. We'll see, though. We're talking TMNT and they have been around for almost 40yrs. I'm definitely grabbing the four Turtles.
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #79
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
Last I read recently it sounds like they are supposedly planning to do a bunch of pop up stores for the holidays, and then based on how well those locations do will decide from there where to open real stores.

(Supposedly they'll also have a party room for kids, have an appointed "toy nerd" in stores to assist collectors, etc.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #80
DVD
Mad Scientist

And it begins.
The vehicles, well the two bikes and the totally awesome turtle tank have arrived on the scene. Figures look pretty cool.
9 new figures arriving next week.
I really was going to try and not buy these as I have way too many turtles.... but.... who was I kidding.
Got to create a new space for this lot.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, action figures, playmates, rise of the tmnt, toys