The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #81
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
* NFTs ( They damage the environment through their carbon footprint. They also enable money-laundering.
The more things go digital the more people will put eyes on any digital functionality to say this nonsense. It's just words.

I wonder how much environmental damage you've done through your use on this forum or any of your other online activities, but never remotely questioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
stop spreading lies and misinformation.
She's gaslighting, but I'd argue doesn't even realize it. Some people just hear words and grab onto a "cause" without real information or weight-analysis even if only creatively. Almost every action we take creates a carbon footprint.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #82
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

NFTs speed up the environmental damage of the planet. Through their carbon emissions, they damage the atmosphere and society. They also take up the electrical energy from our planet.

I just think that they're a bad trend. They will definitely impact our environmental future.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #84
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
NFTs speed up the environmental damage of the planet. Through their carbon emissions, they damage the atmosphere and society. They also take up the electrical energy from our planet.

I just think that they're a bad trend. They will definitely impact our environmental future.
How does a glorified animated gif emit.... Well.... Anything?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #85
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Just to clarify some of those points:

Environment: Well there are different technologies being worked on, many that are greener. We have proof of work and proof of stake and one is not as intense on the environment. Now if we talk about Carbon Footprint if we draw a comparison of just how big the current financial system's entire footprint vs crypto, then it isn't even comparable, just imagine all the people who have to go to work, all the buildings, banks, bills etc the financial system is HUGE and crypto can eliminate all that. If anything crypto is greener. This is coming from a huge environmental nut, I try to do as much for the environment as I can without living off the-grid.

I guess you can lander money with NFTs but how is that different than laundering money through other current means? Are we going to censor the internet because people can do illegal stuff in it as well?

I have to admit I am not a huge fan of NFTs because it enables digital scarcity and that kinda sucks but that's where the whole potential of the technology lies and it's going to be huge because of it. I mean we kind of already have it when video games have limited edition skins for example but that's a centrilized solution, NFTs are decentralized. And I guess if we're moving our economy to be more digital it's a necessity to have scarcity.

NFTs aren't going anywhere, they're just going to become easier to use so the average joe can buy NFTs without even knowing he has an NFT. I certainly don't expect the average person to be using metamask for example.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think NFTs are pretty stupid but that has absolutely nothing to do with what Papenbrook is talking about.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #87
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Here is some information regarding NFTs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Pforzheimer

NFTs are minted on the Ethereum blockchain, the second most popular after Bitcoin. One analysis found the energy footprint of the average transaction on this network is roughly 35 kWh — about the same as powering a refrigerator for a month. But NFT transactions also involve minting, bidding, selling and transferring a digital token. All these actions are costly, adding up to an average of 369 kWh — over 10 times as much energy. One researcher calculated that a certain artist selling two pieces of artwork used over 175 MWh, creating the greenhouse gas emissions of 21 years of a U.S. household’s electricity use.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #88
sdp
Megan Fox = April

that article is inaccurate and faulty maths. First of all NFTs aren't only minted in the Ethereum blockchain, hell because of gas fees most NFTs try to avoid using Eth. Ethereum also decided to change from proof of work which uses computational power to proof of stake. Please do further research on the topic. And yes Blockchain uses energy but the things it's replacing use far more energy and have a much larger carbon footprint. Just think of all the carbon emissions that were needed for you to buy a simple paper poster of your favorite movie or whatever you collect if we're grasping at straws.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #89
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
that article is inaccurate and faulty maths. First of all NFTs aren't only minted in the Ethereum blockchain, hell because of gas fees most NFTs try to avoid using Eth. Ethereum also decided to change from proof of work which uses computational power to proof of stake. Please do further research on the topic. And yes Blockchain uses energy but the things it's replacing use far more energy and have a much larger carbon footprint. Just think of all the carbon emissions that were needed for you to buy a simple paper poster of your favorite movie or whatever you collect if we're grasping at straws.
Exactly. There are so many problems with that pseudo-intellectually cited article that it's better to walk away from it. I also question the motivations of someone who would grab onto this strongly as the newest crusade.

More derangement. Trump's not in office now so we can move on to the next ridiculous justification of fixation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think NFTs are pretty stupid but that has absolutely nothing to do with what Papenbrook is talking about.
Perfect statement here of your opinion. Perfectly worded to account for the Technodrome-audience-of-routine-misperception who would read it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #90
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

From major norwegian newspaper :

"Every american throws away 130 kilos (286.6 pounds) of plastic waste every year and in 2016 as much as 42 mill tons were thrown in the United States according to a report on plastic rubbish in the world's oceans prepared on behalf of Congress.

By comparison, an average Brit throws away 99 kilos of plastic waste a year, while a South Korean throws away 88 kilos"
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #91
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I tend to avoid and/or reject modern rap music; most of the time, I mainly find them abhorrent.

Not only do they contain frequent references that glorify recreational/illegal drug usage, but they also happen to promote violence/assault towards oppressed minorities. ( They mainly target women/LGBTQ+ people. ) Part of the time, I can't even comprehend the meaning of their lyrics.

If not for their immoral messaging or incomprehensible lyrics, current rap music would mostly be generic.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 01-20-2023 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #92
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

The Magma diver episode of Evangelion was pointless, now I love most of Evangelion and even episodes I don't like I'll try to understand when it comes to their place in the lore and timeline, but Magma Diver just didn't add anything so I don't think the anime would change if that episode didn't exist

The Co-Dependents day episode of the Simpsons

There are a lot of anime cliches that I'd prefer were either gone or handled differently, mostly the tropes to do with perverts, nudity and weird behaviour.

forms of Fandom "discourse", being someone who is apart of a lot of fandoms I've seen the good and bad sides of it, but it does feel like modern fandoms are a lot more negative, where people will hound someone just for having a different opinion or character interpretation,

I wouldn't get rid of fandom discussion because that does have a place, but I would get rid of the problems that occur in the "discourse"
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:33 PM   #93
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I like to pretend that sexist music videos ( from the 1990's/2000's ) don't exist.

My personal list contains these "classics", such as:
  • Boogie Pimps' Somebody To Love ( Placing newborns on top of a nearly-naked woman was ... such a bewildering and horrifying decision. )

Benny Benassi's Satisfaction ( Sexualizing construction work was the norm, apparently. )

Alex Gaudino's Destination Calabria and Watch Out ( The artist seemed to have a pattern of doing ... this ... )

Michael Gray's The Weekend ( Stripping and dancing while at work—wow. )

Studio B's I See Girls ( Watching a guy getting chased by scantily-clad women is ... yeah ... )

Eric Prydz's Call On Me ( Leering at a woman while working out around other women seems ... creepy. Don't do it. )

Fedde Le Grand's Put Your Hands Up For Detroit ( This is a misogynistic and homophobic music video. Period. )

N.E.R.D.'s She Wants To Move ( ... away from you ... )

OutKast's The Way You Move ( Misrepresenting different cultures and hypersexualizing working women were the way to go, apparently. )

Star Pilots' In The Heat Of The Night ( I guess eroticized pilots were en vogue ... )

I would like to give a special mention to music videos that sexualize(d) underage girls.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:51 PM   #94
ssjup81
Foot Elite

The Disney Star Wars Trilogy

Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Harry Potter movies 3 and up. lol

Super Mario Bros movie

That’s all I can think of offhand. ^^
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:54 PM   #95
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
The Disney Star Wars Trilogy

Masters of the Universe Revelation

Terminator Dark Fate

Willow TV series

Rings Of Power

Ghostbusters 2016

Santa Inc

Velma series

I Am Not Starfire

Jennika
Old 01-15-2023, 10:25 AM   #96
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Oh, something else just came to mind! The New 52....that is all. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #97
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I like to pretend Dragonball Super and Rise of the Ninja Turtles never existed. Both series are a disgrace to their franchise.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:48 PM   #98
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I wish that the sequel to Blade Runner didn't exist.

That film was sexist as all hell.

( Hell, the original was, too … )

Last edited by Papenbrook; 03-02-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:27 PM   #99
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I yearn for a world that rids itself of AI/Chapgpt.

Creativity should thrive from originality.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:55 AM   #100
Icebot
Foot Elite

In the Nick toon Doug, I like to pretend the Disney version was more similar to the Nick version and that Billy West was there.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging nerds, make me forget!