The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Warner Bros Planned A "Skate Jam" Movie In The 2000s

According to Tony Hawk, there would have been a follow-up in 2002 called "Skate Jam", but the failiure of Loony Toons: Back In Action caused them to shelve the project

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/...quel-tony-hawk
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Heh, it's ironic.

As I remember, Joe Dante went on record as hating Space Jam for betraying the tone of the classic Looney Tunes shorts and shortchanging classic characters for the sake of building up newer, less interesting characters like Lola, who Dante didn't think fit with the brand.

"Back in Action" was Dante's attempt to bring the franchise back to its roots, but because it wasn't a financial success, the Space Jam sequel died. Nowadays, Space Jam is still a relevant piece of pop culture and nobody really cares much for "Back in Action."

Wonder if they would have tried to use an animated version of Tony Hawk or follow the Space Jam template and keep him "live action" for almost 100% of the time, visual effects being the exception.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Heh, it's ironic.

As I remember, Joe Dante went on record as hating Space Jam for betraying the tone of the classic Looney Tunes shorts and shortchanging classic characters for the sake of building up newer, less interesting characters like Lola, who Dante didn't think fit with the brand.

"Back in Action" was Dante's attempt to bring the franchise back to its roots, but because it wasn't a financial success, the Space Jam sequel died. Nowadays, Space Jam is still a relevant piece of pop culture and nobody really cares much for "Back in Action."

Wonder if they would have tried to use an animated version of Tony Hawk or follow the Space Jam template and keep him "live action" for almost 100% of the time, visual effects being the exception.
One thing though I was in 4th grade when Space Jam came out. I bought the figures and drew the characters. I even had a birthday theme of it when I turned 10. Back To Action came out when I was 16 in the 11th grade. I liked the focus on the big two, Bugs and Daffy,but it was not overall memorable. Both films are cheesy and attempt to make the Looney Tunes relevant. I thought the reason I liked Space Jam so much was the fact I was a kid still within the age of kiddie franchises while Back To Action came out just when I stopped watching Pokemon. I don't even like basketball. I guess one had a cool factor and the other one did not, but jumping from one age group to being aged out of the target audience between the films I was never sure. I always had a soft spot for the oldest school of pop culture though I wish the current crop of youth would as well. Bugs Bunny > Mickey Mouse.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Too be honest Lola was the only thing I liked about "Space Jam". Now "Looney Tunes Back In Action" on the other hand, that was fun.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Space Jam is huge nowadays, they re released the movie on a special edition bluray steelbook last year, along with so much merchandise that's STILL in stores. Go to a Hot Topic or BoxLunch store and try not to find at least 5 Space Jam things, I dare you
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Nostalgia Critic did not like Space Jam either. I always thought it was cool and Lola is hot Have not seen Back in Action though.

The current series Wabbit/New Looney Tunes is pretty good. The LT Show too (where Bugs and Daffy are roommates).

They are going to make another Space Jam with Lebron but I think it’s supposed to be a reboot. It’d be better if it was a direct sequel.

What other “Jam” movies could they make? Golf Jam with Tiger Woods? That’d be funny since that’s how they got Jordan to the cartoon world.

Oh I got it...Traffic Jam! with Danica Patrick? They have to beat cartoon drivers Wacky Races style.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Too be honest Lola was the only thing I liked about "Space Jam". Now "Looney Tunes Back In Action" on the other hand, that was fun.
Damn right, when i saw Space Jam in theaters when i was 14, Lola blew my adolescent mind and she was on par with Minerva Mink, Cleo from Heathcliff, Mona Lisa from Ninja Turtles and other furry babes.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't know the early 00's were a different beast so I'm not sure it could've worked, it's when the looney tunes stopped getting re-runs and their relevance kept becoming smaller. Tony hawk had already hit his peak as well by that time, he was still relevant but that year saw the last release of the traditional THPS games and they changed it up for the following year. I don't think the Jam formula would've worked, too many years later and while Space Jam is great it's also a product of its time, Jordan was still at its peak and basketball as a result, Bugs was relevant, it played up all the things that made the 90s great, the live action-animated mash up was not something too common. Not only would this movie have bombed even a Space Jam 2 would've if it had been made in the 90s, a Space Jam 2 might've worked a few years ago but I feel it's too late now.

As far as lola I was a little kid but I liked her a lot, finally bugs had a gf and she had "attitude". I never had the hots for her but well whatever floats other peoples boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Nostalgia Critic did not like Space Jam either.
Nostalgia Critic is entertainment, besides he was in his late teens by the time the movie came out, not exactly the target audience.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

He reviewed it in one of those real thoughts videos too.

He’s 37. Only 3 years old than me so pretty sure he was still in the target audience.