The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What movie franchises have been ruined for you?

I was going to reply to sdp in a different thread and then I realized... come to think of it, huh... it's been a pretty damn depressing few years with major franchises that I once enjoyed...

"Alien"? Utterly destroyed by its creator with the one-two punch of Prometheus and Covenant.

"Star Trek"? STD was insult to injury, salt on an already gaping wound after suffering through the Abrams movies. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel unless the Tarantino movie turns out to be something truly amazing.

"Star Wars"? Do I even need to elaborate why?

"Terminator"? Not one but two increasingly bad trilogy starting movies, how can anyone possibly still be aboard? I'm not. T6 has an uphill battle. They better cut like the best freaking trailer ever in the history of movie trailers.

"The DCEU"? "Justice League" managed to murder, like, any interest I could have in any subsequent DC movies attached to it all in one fell swoop, as well as retroactively the movies they've already done.

I'm really worried about "The Predator."

Am I missing any here?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

All of the above.

...and Bring It On.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Am I missing any here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

The thing about movie sequels is you can easily ignore them, and there have always been bad movie sequels, so why are people acting like this is new? Let's look at old movie franchise sequel failures from the 80's and 90's:

1. Did Batman and Robin sucking somehow ruin Batman 1989 or Batman Returns? No. Some people just acknowledge the Tim Burton films and ignore the last two.

2. Did Superman III and IV sucking somehow ruin Superman 1 and 2? No, people, generally ignore the Superman films after the two Donner flicks.

3. Robocop 3 was garbage. Did that that ruin the franchise? No, you can ignore it.

4. Alien III and Ressurection were both pretty bad, yet people ignore them and love Alien and Aliens.

etc.

I mean I could go on, almost any old movie franchise that had a number of sequels always has a bad movie in there. So why are people acting like this is some new thing the late 2000's did? When they have old bad movie sequels, people just ignore them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
When they have old bad movie sequels, people just ignore them.
I agree with you for the most part. I think the bigger issue is when a sequel/prequel comes out that retroactively changes a character or story.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
2. Did Superman III and IV sucking somehow ruin Superman 1 and 2? No, people, generally ignore the Superman films after the two Donner flicks.

I still like III as a guilty pleasure, I guess. It also has some great character moments.

It'll be interesting to see how the recent controversies with Kevin Spacey will affect the way Superman Returns is remembered from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 03-22-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Original YouTube clip was in Spanish.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I don't know that there's a franchise that's been ruined for me because of a singular movie.

I mean, I didn't like Iron-Man 2, but that doesn't ruin my love of the other two.
Benefits of also being a fangirl, I guess.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I still like III as a guilty pleasure, I guess. It also has some great character moments.

It'll be interesting to see how the recent controversies with Kevin Spacey will affect the way Superman Returns is remembered from now on.
You're right. Superman III, for all it's issues, had some strong moments. I love how unsettling this scene is. And his bright suit amidst the muted tones of the home, the sounds of the kids outside... the director (at times) knew what he was doing.

As far as Superman Returns go, if it's being remembered at all I'd say that's an improvement.

And I say that as a really big fan of that movie.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
sdp
-

I agree completely with the list and can only add one more:

The Matrix - The second movie was ok but the third was so bland and none of the things set up in the second movie had satisfying answers that it actually made the second movie bad an forget about the original. Now I re-watched the trilogy a while ago and the first is still good and a decent reboot ignoring the sequels and a fresh concept might save the franchise but unless handled very well which I find difficult I think this one is done as well when they eventually try again.

Other examples I'm just not that attached to so I really don't care if say Beethoven or Air Bud were ruined by countless direct to video sequels.

Maybe also The Crow?

The sequels all ruined the idea of the franchise continuing over and over again, also I don't see the development hell ridden reboot being anything to care about. Though it's possible I guess.

Quote:
When they have old bad movie sequels, people just ignore them.
It's not that easy, while you can do it sometimes others you can't, some sequels can be so bad and change so many things that they retroactively make the original film worse.

Last edited by sdp; 03-22-2018 at 02:10 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Inb4 Vegita-San goes on his anti-SJW-Anti_woman MRA star wars rant in this thread for the billionth time on this forum.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
Vegita-San
Emperor

Star Trek.

Ghostbusters.

Star Wars.

Ninja Turtles.

Nothing has been left that hasn't been ruined by the 'nu' audience touch. so long long time dedicated fans. we don't needs you anymores..

God damnit ... I didn't beat crazy old man aut bot to the punch.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Ghostbusters.
Of course, how could I forget Ghostbusters?

Quote:
Ninja Turtles.
Ehh... maybe, but it wasn't like the 3 sequels before the PD movies came along really elevated TMNT all that much as a movie franchise to begin with.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

It's not that easy, while you can do it sometimes others you can't, some sequels can be so bad and change so many things that they retroactively make the original film worse.
That's retarded. Anyone who thinks that way has issues.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I dunno. If we get 20 more episodes of Star Wars that are all crappy, in 20 years will anyone really still care about "but part 4 was really good! That was the good one!" There is definitely a diminishing effect.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #15
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, I can't say as I disagree.
Next Mutation didn't work for me, but it's not like it's mere existence has rendered me incapable of enjoying the Mirage books.

What a fragile mindset.

Though...certain works of fiction have been ruined for me by the behavior of the people who've created it...so maybe this is like that?
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

It's funny, I consider many of the Marvel movies overhyped but I feel, along with a couple of niche lines, they're the only things preventing me from completely writing off the Marvel brand as a whole. The comics and cartoons outright suck and many of the creators are assholes, the movies at least have a good grip on the characters.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #17
newfan
Mad Scientist

I've been disappointed with some sequels, some getting worse each time but the bad Robocop sequels would not stop me going off to see another attempt at it. I still went to see the last Terminator, Arnie is getting on a bit now so not sure about my level of excitement for 6 but curious enough to see it, still like ones I like (As with other things)

I'm feeling like I'm getting Star Wars'd out a bit... I'll see the next one in this trilogy but with less enthusiasm with all the old characters being gone.

Last edited by newfan; 03-22-2018 at 03:49 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

When people disliked the Star Wars prequels did that make them hate the original trilogy? No, because you can ignore movie sequels/prequels/continuations if you want.

I think you guys are treating this like you do seasons in a TV show. When a TV show has a bad season it's harder to "ignore" like a movie sequel, because TV shows all continue for a set number of seasons till they end. But with bad movie sequels you can just skip/ignore them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
plastroncafe

Harder, but not impossible.
I mean, season 2 of Veronica Mars is clearly the weakest season but that doesn't negate the awesome of Season 3 or the perfection of Season 1.

The same can be said of Friday Night Lights.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #20
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
When people disliked the Star Wars prequels did that make them hate the original trilogy? No, because you can ignore movie sequels/prequels/continuations if you want.
Yeah, I wouldn't say there are things that are ruined for me, just maybe getting fatigue, even then that's only a few things, otherwise I like to get more of something I have enjoyed.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote