The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #2161
Leo656
The Franchise

I was at Walmart and picked up the last DC Multiverse Animated Series Superman that they had. Pretty cool, since I was just browsing and didn't expect to see them there at all. They also had Animated Series Batman and regular Batman, but I'm kinda light after the flea market the other day so I had to just get this one. They didn't have a regular Superman, sadly. Hopefully he'll turn up soon.

The figure comes with an extra set of hands, a bent piece of "scrap metal", a small display base and a collector's card. Not bad for $20. The card and base are attached to the package with plastic, so I haven't bothered with them yet, although the stand will probably be pretty handy since this guy really does not want to stand up. The figure itself is a bit heftier than I expected, which is nice, but the legs are simply too thin to adequately support the wide-shouldered upper body very well. When it does manage to stand, it looks great, but you really have to mess with the legs a lot and it always looks like a stiff breeze will knock it over. Although the stand is very small so I'm not sure how helpful it will really be.

The likeness and sculpting details are great, especially the raised S-shield, and there's some extra sculpted lines on the belt and buckle that are a nice touch. 22 points of articulation, some of them in weird places, but overall it moves pretty well. The joints on mine are very stiff right out of the package; they feel pretty snug but I don't want to try and force the knee and ankle joints. The knees are double-jointed but I can't get the full range of motion, so I'll probably have to heat them up a little. The legs don't go very far forward because of how the trunks are. The arm and shoulder joints are all very snug and don't feel at all flimsy or brittle. There's not a lot of motion in the ab joint, but each hand and foot has two swivels and a ball joint. Some people swear these figures are ugly; I don't agree (This one and the Animated Batman one are really gorgeous up close) but they definitely made some interesting choices with the articulation. One minor bad thing is that there's a toe joint on each foot and the pegs are black, which is very noticeable against the red boots. The S-shield looks better than it ever did in the cartoon, although they cheaped out by excluding the tiny yellow spot at the top of the S, but it doesn't hurt anything really.

The paint is pretty good, there are only a couple of very small rub spots; the worst one is on the back of his leg so it's not visible, the front of the figure is pretty flawless. Like in the cartoon, the cape is fairly short, but it looks good; you can't do anything with it because for some reason the top half of it is glued to the back of his shoulders, so even though it's made of soft plastic the cape is only flexible from about the waist-down.

Aside from the trouble getting it to stand up on its own, this is a great Animated Superman figure, near-perfect. I don't see how anyone would pass it up if they were a fan, I definitely recommend picking it up. And even though I didn't buy it, I can attest that the Animated Batman is also terrific, and they'd look fantastic next to each other on a shelf. Hopefully I can get that one soon.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:17 AM   #2162
Leo656
The Franchise

I went back to Walmart and got the Animated Batman to go with my Superman. I'm so weak!

Same exact everything as what I said about the Superman figure. Some people dislike it because it more resembles the New Batman Adventures version but wearing the TAS costume, but stuff like that is a little nitpicky, it's a great-looking figure regardless. Comes with an extra set of hands, a grappling gun, and a Batarang. I do think the Mattels were better (these feel like a blend of the DC Direct/DC Collectibles and Mattel, leaning more towards the former), but so far these are pretty good, and they'll probably improve as they go on.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #2163
IMJ
Emperor

I feel like someday I'm going to want those McFarlane DC figs on a shelf somewhere.

As for most recent stuff, I bought these Fight Club figures some time back, but I actually only just opened them last week in my latest rotation to my home theater displays, so in some ways it's like these are brand new for me.

I still have a lot of MOC stuff, but more and more lately I've been opening stuff to get more displayable use out of it. It used to be that I'd keep expanding storage to place stuff, but now I keep my collection modular - I rotate themes in out of storage to display and it's much more fun.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #2164
Leo656
The Franchise

Went to the flea market and picked up some old WWF Hasbro figures I needed, including Bam Bam Bigelow and Sgt. Slaughter. Bigelow in particular has always been a tough one to find and it's in great shape.

I also picked up some used Jakks WWE figures to do customs on, including a loose Barry Windham in fantastic shape who's just begging for a black and silver "Widowmaker"/WCW repaint. I already have a Windham so I specifically bought this one to repaint.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #2165
Leo656
The Franchise

My wife got me this for Valentine's Day. Sorry for the crummy pictures, took 'em in a hurry and this place is pretty cluttered at the moment.

There's a whole line of these I need to get yet. Like at least two more red & yellow ones and like three Hollywood ones. Good stuff. We're only an hour in and I'm already way ahead.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #2166
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

My recent toy Purchases were all Pops

Bill Nye The Science Guy
Keaton Batman
Black Canary( The real black canary not that BOP Movie ********)
Old 02-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #2167
Leo656
The Franchise

FINALLY picked up this gem at the flea market today after months of "Hopefully it'll still be there next week":

Jakks Classic Superstars "Hollywood Blonds" Brian Pillman & Stunning Steve Austin set. By far one of the sets I've longed for the most over the years. I'm a huge Pillman fan, and as far as I recall this was the one and only Stunning Steve figure that Jakks ever produced.

I also picked up some loose figures for custom fodder, which I basically got for free. Can't wait to get crackin' on 'em.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #2168
Leo656
The Franchise

Picked up some neat stuff at the flea market yesterday.

- WCW Toy Biz The Giant (loose). I've always wanted this figure but never managed to get him when the line started, the only figure in the original Wave which I missed. He was incredibly hard to find at the time because he was literally only a couple of weeks away from his WWF debut as Paul Wight/"Big Show" when the WCW line was released, so everyone snapped up his figure and it's remained one of the more hard to find (although not technically "rare") ones in the series ever since. The "neck brace" variant in a two-pack with Kevin Nash is incredibly common by comparison, but almost nobody wants that one. I generally prefer to get figures in-package whenever possible, but I honestly haven't been fortunate enough to encounter a Giant in this great of shape for a reasonable price in ages, so I said to hell with it. I almost never see him in-package for sale, even online, and I definitely paid less than what a loose one goes for online when you factor in shipping.

I focused on characters in that series, rather than individual figures, since the line was pretty large given how many variants guys like Nash, DDP, Sting etc. each got. So now all I need is Stevie Ray and Miss Elizabeth from the Macho Man two-pack and I'll have at least one of everyone!

- WCW "Ring Masters" Hollywood Hogan. Hogan is a character I make an exception for and try to get every figure they produce. This one somehow slipped through my grasp and I haven't really encountered it very often since. I don't think it was on the shelves for very long; the "Ring Masters" line as a whole was done away with very quickly since some guys like Chris Jericho had left the company and other guys had figures which gave them goofy or crummy gimmicks. This Hogan is wearing a red and white nWo shirt, and the "nWo Elite" angle only ran from January through March of 1999, so this figure was most likely out of date already by the time it hit shelves.

- Jakks TNA "Hulkamania" Ring with bonus Sting and Hogan figures. This was pretty much what I went to the flea market for in the first place. These rings were kind of hard to find as I'm aware and were probably only sold in certain stores. It's also incredibly rare for any wrestler to have a specialty ring produced just for them, although in this case it sort of fits as just before signing with TNA in 2009, Hogan had performed on the "Hulkamania: Let The Battle Begin Tour" in Australia, complete with Hulk- branded ring. This set was released in 2011, but hey, that's TNA for you. I ended up shooting a video for the YouTube channel about this, as I knew I HAD to open it and put it together without delay. Not a bad ring, definitely nothing fancy but it's fine. The Hogan and Sting figures are the kinda crummy "discount" figures that Jakks released at pharmacies and dollar stores, with small bodies and limited articulation. The heads are amazingly sculpted, but the outfits lack detail (they pretty much just painted Hogan's entire lower body red and called it a day; Sting at least has some small scorpion details on his legs. ). Not bad for what I paid for it; I'm a huge toy ring mark anyway and in theory I can use the figure heads for customs, because they really are some of the best Hogan and Sting heads ever made.

As usual I also picked up a few random loose figures for custom fodder, because I usually get them for $5 or less per figure and there's always more characters to be made.

On the way home I stopped at Wal-Mart and happened to find the McFarlane Toys Action Comics #1000 Superman figure, which I've been looking for for a while. They only had one left so I had to pick it up even though I'd technically gone past my "toy budget" for this paycheck. It looks pretty awesome and comes with a trading card and figure stand/"flying base" or whatever. For that I say thank goodness, because with this being the third of the McFarlane DC figures I've picked up so far, I'm quickly becoming disgruntled. These things DO NOT STAND UP AT ALL without help, and that's a serious f*cking drag given what they cost. At first I assumed it was simply the Animated Superman and Batman ones, with their gimpy legs and massive upper bodies; made sense, the weak legs can't support the frame, whatever, annoying but semi-expected (and a big reason I never liked the DCAU art style all that much). But THIS guy has even more of a problem standing upright than the others do, and that's just nonsense.

It's all because of the choices they've made regarding articulation and where to stick it, and I personally find these choices questionable. Like who the hell NEEDS there to be ball-jointed ankles on an action figure? Because that right there is like 90% of the problem; "Oh, neat! I can twist Superman's foot around 180 degrees if I want! Too bad he can't, y'know, stand up unless you lean him on something." The toe joint is also both pointless and a problem, because it kind of prevents the feet from laying flat sometimes, but I find that it's the ankle joint and the feet wanting to roll to any angle except "flat and straight", and the hip joints which constantly try and force the figure to do a split, to be the main problems. Waist-up, the figures are pretty good; belt-down, f*cking mess.

I do like the sculpting and detail, as well as MOST of the articulation, though. I particularly like the raised S-shield and its metallic paint job compared to the matte colors of the costume, it looks great and really stands out. The complete absence of the yellow/golden S on the cape annoys me, though (especially as this is advertised as "Action Comics #1000 Superman" and I'm pretty sure he had the S on his cape in that issue). But bottom line, outside of the packaging, these McFarlane figures aren't so great and I'm already nostalgic for Mattel because pound-for-pound I think they did a better job. I still want to get the Batman figure but after that I don't know if I'm gonna be getting more of these, unless they fix some of the problems. In 2003, I didn't care as much if my $10 toys needed help to stand up; in 2020 at double the price, I expect at least the bare minimum in functionality from these "collectible" action figures. The packaging touts "22 Moving Parts!" but I, personally, would gladly settle for less than that if only a stand or base wasn't a required prerequisite.

Given that it's McFarlane, though, and historically most collectors who buy from that company never take anything out of the plastic to begin with, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And I guess I'm not entirely. Disappointed, though? Definitely.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #2169
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

My most recent purchases were Funko Pops off Gamestop.com that all came in pristine condition and protective small boxes.

Joker 1989
Catwoman and Penguin from Batman Returns
Two Face and Riddler from Batman Forever
Mr Freeze from Batman and Robin

I bought 2 Jokers hoping for 1 Chase and 1 Common....struck gold and got 2 Chases! This is my first time ever getting a Chase at random let alone 2 in the same order.These are really cool looking and match up well with the Batmans I have from 1989, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #2170
Slade
god status

After almost 2 years, I received my Hot Toys Justice League Superman.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #2171
Leo656
The Franchise

Radical brother.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #2172
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

My most recent toy Purchase has been Hot Topic Exclusive pop of Zatanna Zatara and I have flocked Swamp Thing on the way
Old 06-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #2173
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Latest pop purchase the Burton Batman Villains

Old 06-14-2020, 03:57 AM   #2174
Leo656
The Franchise

FINALLY picked up this beauty right here...

Old 06-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #2175
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

I got the Posion Ivy pop from Batman and Robin so barring the Metallic Joker 89 that isnt out yet, I have the complete set of Batman 1989 through Batman and Robin funkos, even the Panara Bronze 89 Batman and Batman 89 Gamestop exclusive.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #2176
Leo656
The Franchise

I've been picking up a lot of cheap used Jakks WWE and TNA figures for customs. Keeping pretty busy with that, working on about a dozen simultaneously which should all be pretty damn good when finished.

In addition to that, I picked up some cool sh*t today:

I picked up the "Masters of the WWE Universe" ring a few months ago, but this was the first one of the figures I've picked up. I'm not entirely in love with the McFarlane DC figures but that is an awesome looking Wonder Woman, and I had to have a complete Trinity since I already had Superman and Batman. The picture doesn't really do it justice at all, the gold detailing really, really "pops". Looks incredible in person.

I've been trying to get those two Sting figures for a long time and got a heckuva deal from my buddies at the flea market.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:15 AM   #2177
Leo656
The Franchise

Finally added this to the collection after 20+ years:

The only WCW figure of Miss Elizabeth and only her second-ever up to that point (out of, I think, three to date), that makes this set kind of hard to come by, Then and Now. But I got a pretty good deal on it; prices are only gonna go up so I figured I'd get while the getting was good. It already doubled from where it was like, two years ago; if I waited any longer it probably would hit triple digits.

I have to check and see, but I *think* I have the entire roster of characters from the WCW Toy Biz line, after picking up Stevie Ray last week and getting this in the mail on Friday. Not all the figures, because they did a lot of variants, but I am pretty sure I have every individual character. If I'm missing anyone, it's Michael Buffer. I *think* I have him but I gotta dig up my WCW box and look to be sure.

I'm gonna start getting some old LJN WWF figures and fixing them up, since the two I already restored were pretty easy. I was gonna hit the flea market today so I'll take a look at what they have and I might pick up a couple that aren't in too bad of shape. "Serious" LJN collectors hate it when you repaint stuff, but it's all only gonna sit on my shelf anyway and I at least want 'em to look nice. Besides, no way I've got the cash to buy those things in "good" shape; some of 'em are like a car payment, or even a mortgage payment. I'm fine with touching up some "beat" ones, even if it makes them "worthless".

Old 07-11-2020, 04:29 AM   #2178
Leo656
The Franchise

I completely forgot to mention it when THIS gem showed up last week! I can't believe myself. One more Hogan crossed off the list!

This one was costly, but it's a great likeness of early-80s Hogan with his New Japan gear and robe, a look that nobody ever really captured as an action figure. Been looking for this one for about ten years.

Aside from some of the newer Storm Collectibles Hogan offerings, I'm getting pretty damn close to having one of every Hogan figure. I need the two LJN's with the shirt (red and white shirt variants), a couple WCW figures from OSFT, a couple Jakks TTL and Classic Superstars figures, one or two Jakks TNA ones and one or two Mattels. I definitely own way more than I'm missing, but I think I'm around two dozen or fewer figures before having one of every Hogan.

There's two Hogans that I know are gonna be expensive as hell; one of them came in the Jakks "WrestleMania VI" two-pack with Ultimate Warrior, which regularly goes for a couple hundred dollars. The other one came in a "Championship Belt" set with one of those toy Title belts for kids; there were a few of those produced for different wrestlers and they ALL go for over $200, easy.

So those are probably the two most expensive Hogan figures on my list. The rest are all incredibly reasonable by comparison. I've got people looking around for the Big Two for me, but so far I've only seen them in-person very rarely and someone else always snags 'em first.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #2179
Ninjinister
無問題

Here's what I got this past week. Finally finished up all of wave 1 with Aquaman and Manta, now to wait until I can buy wave 2 stuff at a decent price online or my comic shop carries it (I ain't goin out huntin' in a pandemic!) Picked up Brine King cheap, been wanting that one for a while. Also got Leatherneck from the old Sgt. Rock line. Tough to find any that aren't the Sarge (I already have him) in good prices and condition!

Old 07-17-2020, 01:04 AM   #2180
Leo656
The Franchise

This little beauty came in the mail today!

..........JYUSHIIIIIIIIIIIIN... THUNDAAAAAAAH.... RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

This thing is AWESOME! I've seen pics of it out of the package and I can't wait to get it in my hands, maybe tomorrow. But man, this is on another level. For one thing, there's not a ton of Liger figures that exist, anyway, let alone in this scale with that much articulation - lots of Japanese wrestling figures are of the "rubber statue" variety and thus so are most Liger figures - but this thing's got all the swappable hands and such, and even has his cape and harness. Such a slick piece of work!

About $75, I think, but again, there's hardly any Liger figures, AND he just retired, so there won't be too many more in the near future and ALL of them will be Collector's Items. So this one's a bargain at any price and guaranteed to only skyrocket in price. It's rare I'll spend that much on a non-Hogan figure, especially something brand new like this, but under the circumstances I feel like it's a no-brainer.

They have an awesome Black Costume variant but I'm not made of money. I'd love it, though.