The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #21
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I just hope they kinda, explain stuff. Like did the first movie still happen, did Birds of Prey still happen, even though I think that one acts like SS did happen. IDK, woulda been less confusing if they left out Harley or re-cast her, which I know they would never do since she's too popular, but casting her here and technically saying this is a different Harley is like if they casted Leto in Joker and insisted it wasn't the same one from SS.
I'm betting it'll be just like how Birds of Prey treated the original Suicide Squad movie: mostly ignore it except for one or two small nods. As far as I remember, the only outright reference in BoP was when they found the "Daddy's Lil Monster" shirt in the funhouse.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Sumac
Banned

I am so ****ing tired of those semi-reboots.
Just call movie Suicide Squad 2 or Suicide Squad: Quirky Subtitle.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

With Rick Flagg, Boomerang, Waller and Harley all being in it, and played by the same actors, it's pretty clear that it'll treat the first Squad movie as a case of "It happened, but it's in the past and we're really not gonna dwell on it."

It's a way to go, I guess. I just hate how many Big Plot Points and character development moments have to take place off-camera between movies just because the new director(s) don't want to touch what the old ones did. Happens everywhere nowadays. Don't these people talk to each other?

I know it's just "connective tissue", but it's important. Like, after all they showed of Harley/Joker and their "relationship" in the first movie, BoP picks it up all casual like "Oh, yeah, she left him and that's that." Geeeeeez, that's kind of too important to be a footnote in the larger story, ain't it?

I'unno. Anyways, yeah, it's clearly a sequel, but one of those "We're banking on most of you coming for Gunn's name on it because you loved GotG, and we're just gonna pretend none of you saw the first one" kinda "sequels".

I wanted more Croc and Katana. But nobody ever asks me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

I feel like SS isn't worth acknowledging. If the film was good, it'd be different. And I'll be honest in that this, next to JL, is the worst movie I've seen in a while, so I may be on the extreme end of the spectrum.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I wanted more Croc and Katana.
And this looks to be hard R? It'd be the perfect time for them to shine. Croc going to town on people (like we never got to see in the first one) and Katana slicing people up.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:28 AM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

That'd be awesome. They got the look for Croc absolutely perfect. Both of them, really, but Croc's look is hard to pull off. That really impressed me.

For whatever other issues it had, they really nailed the look for some of the characters in that movie. They made some strange choices all over the place but some of the costuming was absolutely on-point.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I, too, loved the Suicide Squad Croc and really wished we'd see him again. Apparently not here, alas.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

He's too busy watching BET.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #29
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

The first SS movie got Croc's design right but the dialogue, not so much. At least they remember that he's a guy with a bizarre skin disease as opposed to a giant mutant crocodile. There were some versions where he looked like a T-Rex.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that's too far. I mean the "secondary mutation" bit, eh, that's interesting, but... you could tell that those specific writers just wished they had Spider-Man's Lizard to work with instead, and just reshaped "Croc" to fit their needs rather than actually trying to, y'know, write Killer Croc properly.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #31
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 10-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

Pete Davidson is in this? Oh, GROSS. Hopefully he gets killed off first. That guy's f*cking insufferable. John Cena's bad enough but if Davidson is in the movie a lot then this one's a Hard Pass from me, dawg.

Not planning on seeing this until after I get full Spoilers. Because there's way too many people I can't stand in it and they're asking me to forgive a lot before they even get started. You can assume Cena's character survives because they have Big Plans for him (plus, John Cena You KNOW they're gonna try and get him and The Rock in the same movie sooner rather than later, so no way he bites it in this one), but I'm gonna need some of these other guys to get killed off and FAST or else I'm not gonna be able to sit through this.

As it is, it just looks... dumb. I generally do not like Gunn's movies, and this looks... like one of His Movies.

Polka-Dot Man? Seriously. C'mon.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Pete Davidson is in this? Oh, GROSS. Hopefully he gets killed off first. That guy's f*cking insufferable.
Yeah, he's pretty terrible IRL.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I feel like neither Gunn nor Ayer really understand Suicide Squad.

We need interesting characters who aren't ALL jokes, AND some of them need to die.

Ayer barely killed anybody, but he did give us interesting mid-level characters who were decently skilled: El Diablo, Killer Croc, Harley, Deadshot, Boomerang. Now, he SQUANDERED a lot of those characters (Boomerang and Killer Croc), but the potential was there.

Gunn... well, we'll see. Killer Shark, Harley, and whoever the fvck Idris Elba is playing. Those are the only ones I currently give a fvck about. And only if Harley is more Batman Harley than weird "SJW Chick Flick" Harley. Ugh.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

For a movie about the Suicide Squad, the first one really did more Right than Wrong in the grand scheme of things. It sure didn't seem to hit the mark with a lot of people as a movie, but I mean, it totally represented the "brand" or whatever correctly, for the most part. It's a mess, especially Act III, but I think it says a lot that the guy who created the Squad for the comics said that it was everything he'd expect to see in a movie about them. I think the rest has a lot to do with, "Was the movie even necessary?" And that's a conversation. I'unno, I feel like they aimed squarely for the middle and hit it. A lot could have been done differently, for sure, but I mean... that's the Squad, those are the characters... everyone IN it was done perfectly, to my eyes, they just didn't get a lot to do because the studio didn't know if they were making a comic book version of "The Expendables" or a black comedy about "Harley Quinn and Her Wacky Pals." But for better and worse, that was definitely the Suicide Squad. Like that's what those characters (and a movie about those characters) looks like.

A lot of things were allegedly very different before the studio took final cut away from Ayer. In the unlikely event that his cut ever saw the light of day, I'd be very interested in seeing it. For one thing, I love alternate cuts of movies in general; I find it fascinating to see how different sets of hands can alter the entire shape and direction of a film (for Better and/or Worse). And I feel like there was probably a more coherent narrative before WB started tinkering with it. There's at least THREE different versions of that movie, as I understand it. That's nuts! I doubt any of them is a masterpiece, but I'm willing to entertain the notion that Ayer kinda knew what he was doing with it and that WB didn't have a clue what they wanted. Hence the multiple different cuts with varying plot points and tones.

This time out, I feel like Gunn ALSO knows exactly what he wants to do and WB is just totally letting him, but... this looks a lot more like the Birds of Prey movie than I'm comfortable with.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #36
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Slyvester Stallone is in the movie

DiscussingFilm
@DiscussingFilm
·
31m
Sylvester Stallone reveals that he will be in James Gunn’s ‘THE SUICIDE SQUAD’.

(Source: https://instagram.com/p/CHlVfoypWmF/?igshid=pqgdi20tjw0)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #37
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Trailer's out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdlvexsfRAw

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #38
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
much better than that 2016 travesty. Also it looks like Slyvester Stallone is voicing King Shark
Old 03-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #39
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Not feeling it.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Eh. Jeeze. I'd just have to see it. Seems like a harder core version of Guardians of the Galaxy... but on Earth. I'd probably enjoy a whole movie where it's just King Shark eating dudes bloodily, but I didn't really chuckle at anything here.