The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-09-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Down syndrome Barbie?

It's actually a thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ched-by-mattel

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:49 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

The doll doesn't look "down's syndrome" enough. There should be liberal outrage for misrepresentation.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #3
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

“Mommy, why are you getting an abortion?”

“Because the baby has Down Syndrome, sweetheart.”

“Down Syndrome? You mean like my Barbie?”

“…your what?”

I’m sure that this will unintentionally cause many girls to become pro-life women later in life.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
ChosenOne
Banned

Wait, Greta's graduating and getting her own action figure?!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:15 PM   #5
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Either her or that girl that plays Ellie in that Last of Us show.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:20 PM   #6
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Either her or that girl that plays Ellie in that Last of Us show.
The future Ben Ramsey, you mean?
Old 06-09-2023, 05:23 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Okay first I just want to say... someone smack that woman for her constantly jumping zoom.

But also smack those guys. One random doll for little girls has no impact on a bunch of grown men. Do they think it's going to somehow teach kids to have Down Syndrome? Or that it might teach kids not to be assholes to people with differences in their appearance or intellectual issues they can't help? Oh god no.

I dunno, what's the problem? That today's mood is that "inclusion" should just be fought against at every angle and that any form of it is somehow a threat? Is it purely indulgent ideological ego stroking to feel that it's an imperative to make jokes about a doll?

People have really gotten irrational about what forms of "inclusion" actually ARE reasonable vs those that aren't and make asses of themselves making fun of or having a fit over the reasonable ones.

Hate to have to tell people this, but Down Syndrome kids can't live up to the ideal of regular Barbie.

Little girls also often gravitate toward what they identify with and a doll that "looks like them" in terms of skin tone, hair color, etc., and the kids with disabilities are probably thrilled when they do have access to something that reflects them, not the idealized image a bunch of grown men think those little kids should be limited to that they'll never see themselves in or live up to.

Let the little kids who will never get be normal have some stuff for them... They already got saddled with being different in a way that they can't change.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:30 PM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

Nobody can live up to the ideal of "Barbie". That's why she was popular in America's heyday - it gave intelligent little girls something to aspire too while the peasant-thinker girls said "I want one that looks like ME!".

Now, in today's America there are more peasant thinker-whiners than people who aspire.

People aspire to be Superman knowing full well they will never fly.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 06:10 AM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
No. Most action figures are made out of plastic...
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:03 AM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
People aspire to be Superman knowing full well they will never fly.
And because of it some retard will decide to cancel Superman, because:
"We should not have toxic and unachievable standards and aspiration! Be yourself! Be a dumb ugly fat loser! Self-improving is for toxic sheetheels sponsored by Capitalism! You are beautiful and amazing and valid as you are and everyone who disagrees with you are Nazis and bigots!!"
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Antivax Barbie with the Dream Ventilator would be fun during the pandemic years.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Barbie Vs. Superman, or any superhero character of either gender...

I think the huge difference there is that the traits that are being idealized are usually very clearly unobtainable in the superheros while it's very blurry for Barbie.

The alter ego of Clark Kent could be idealized for what he represents without the powers, but the inhuman parts of his true identity clearly aren't obtainable. Barbie doesn't have that clearly defined line and what is obvious to adults as unrealistic isn't so obvious to kids. Most may not grow up to be those few wackos who have tried (including that guy who tried to look like Ken), but it's still messages that kids are being fed from an early age.

Imagine Barbie being remade to likewise have that separation and just have a normal off-the-clock/weekend alias without all the makeup, pushup bra and corset. People would crap themselves. That would be labeled as a version of her not "bettering" herself and a bad role model when it would just be her being depicted as a normal human whose glamorous version of herself is artificial and underneath she, much like He-Man (another one using an alias and second identity to draw a hard line between the extremes), has a true version of herself that people aren't as impressed with.

edit: All of it also doesn't change the fact that, while girls may also be into unrealistic characters like some superheros too, most will still gravitate to and want some they also see something of themselves in. So dolls with disabilities... no crime in having a few available.

Heck, as a kid it was noticeable to me that most blonde dolls or characters were typically light blonde. Dark blonde was harder to come by, and even now I'm always happy when games with character creation have an option close to my hair color and I don't have to go with light blonde or brown if I'm usually making that first character similar to me. I guess that never really goes away, making the first one kind of a self-insert, similar to kids appreciating those dolls, be it Barbie, American Girl, or whatever, that they can see themselves in.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-11-2023 at 10:52 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:35 PM   #13
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Why do people have a problem with it? I'm sure there are girls around with Down Syndrome who would like a doll (if they're into dolls) that they can kind of relate to. I know I liked seeing black dolls instead of always playing with white ones if I'm being honest here. Why not have dolls/toys with more inclusivity for kids? I'm just thinking about my mother's generation where dolls for girls were mostly only white and dolls for other ethnicities were rare. When I was super young, I used to play with my aunt's old dolls when bored, but they were all white dolls. It wasn't really a problem, but it was nice seeing a doll that was the same shade as me.

It's like when I was in Japan and came across a child who was mixed. His mother was Japanese, his father was African-American. He was so glad to see me because it was someone else that "looked like" him. He had nothing against his Japanese side, but it was refreshing seeing another African-American person.

Last edited by ssjup81; 06-20-2023 at 06:29 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:57 PM   #14
Sumac
Banned

I am not sure what purpose does it serve, outside of performative corporate pandering.
Its not like people with Autism will care.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:34 PM   #15
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

No disrespect, Andrew, but why do you care so much about this?
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 12:01 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
No disrespect, Andrew, but why do you care so much about this?
Who said that I did? That's a typical sort of lefty response, though. No matter what it is, whether it's critical race theory in the schools, drag queen story hour, it's always, "Why are you noticing this?"/"What does it matter to you?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 12:30 AM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
Let the kids have their toys. I really do not see the issue here, I think it's sweet that this Barbie exists.
Yeah, let the kids have their toys that remind them how they'll never be normal. What's next? Terminally Ill Barbie and you pass em out to terminally ill kids?

I don't know. I think the underlying, though possibly unintentional message, though it's still there is 'hah hah, you're defective, you don't deserve a normal Barbie, here, have a defective Barbie, because that's the most someone like you deserves'.

The problem with the whole woke movement is the violent over-correction of non-issues without seeing how they come off to people, usually the opposite of what they're supposed to represent.

They blackwash characters in the name of diversity, we see it for what it really is, telling black people they don't deserve their own characters and should only look up to white man's scraps.

They want to push that one this race can voice/write their won race, for the sake of diversity, we see it for what it is. Encouraging segregation in the workplace.

So this down syndrome Barbie is part of the whole 'diversity and inclusion', but in actuality they're pretty telling much them they're not good enough to play with a normal Barbie, now go off and play with a down syndrome doll that's as inferior as you are.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:41 AM   #18
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I don't know. I think the underlying, though possibly unintentional message, though it's still there is 'hah hah, you're defective, you don't deserve a normal Barbie, here, have a defective Barbie, because that's the most someone like you deserves'.
I don't think it is what they want to imply, but it certainly can be read that way.
And as I said, I don't think people with real Autism will be able to appreciate the gesture and everyone, most likely would like to get rid of the sickness to be just normal people, like everyone else.

It is a problem of SJW ideology in general: they are trying to normalize conditions, which most people would like to get rid of. It seems they took their inspiration from the LGB movement, but comparing debilitating condition to the sexual orientation is stupid. Whereas I can understand why people should not be ashamed of their orientation (though, I am not sure why they should be proud of it either - it is not something they earned), why people should be proud of their mental illnesses - is a riddle to me.

Might as well instill day of AIDS pride or something like that.

People should not be attacked for things they can't change, but making their conditions a point of pride doesn't help anyone. You can scream about normalization of Autism as much as you want, but it never ever will be a normal condition and everyone know about it. Especially people affected by it...
Old 06-19-2023, 04:04 AM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, let the kids have their toys that remind them how they'll never be normal. What's next? Terminally Ill Barbie and you pass em out to terminally ill kids?
Acid Attack Barbie and Belgian Congo Barbie.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:32 AM   #20
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Who said that I did? That's a typical sort of lefty response, though. No matter what it is, whether it's critical race theory in the schools, drag queen story hour, it's always, "Why are you noticing this?"/"What does it matter to you?"
-_- Can’t tell if serious or just teasing. But seriously though you do seem to love these type of PC or whatnot discussions. You point them out a lot.

The doll is fine imo. There’s been toys of people in wheelchairs. People didn’t call it woke or whatever. The LEGO Friends line has a figure missing an arm, one with Down Syndrome and other disabilities.