The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #401
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Maybe.

I do know that on the thread, in response to his statement that Marvel doesn't want Spider-Man married and that it won't happen, I did ask why, if that was the case, we have the RYV series in the first place and so much of the branding for the franchise supports Spider-Man and Mary Jane as a couple. He didn't reply, for whatever reason.
Same thing with the newspaper strip, which features Peter and MJ married and is older than RYV, Spider-Girl, and even post-OMD ASM combined

Quote:
We also have the preview, for the next RYV issue. Looks like a fun piece with a lot of character moments, the kind of stuff ASM isn't exactly known for there days.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/artic...o/1100-156445/
I just posted that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Okay, I'm trying to get some clarification:

So One More Day is that story arc where Spider-Man made a deal with Mephisto, and it changed history to where his marriage to Mary Jane was erased and he didn't remember it?
Neither of them allegedly remember it. JMS hinted MJ did, but Marvel retconned that in OMIT (although OMIT itself may be retconned now)

Quote:
and the Renew Your Vows series is an alternate timeline where that didn't happen, and now he and MJ have a kid with spider-powers?

Do I have that right?
Civil War didn't happen in this universe, hence no need for OMD

Quote:
I haven't read a Spider-Man solo series in a while but in Spider-Man/Deadpool there was a story that lead to Spider-Man starting to feel off, empty inside, and it's implied that he will soon remember what happened with Mephisto (thanks, Wade!).
We don't know where that storyline is leading. Marvel have been deathly quiet or misleading on that matter and it's been up to the fans to decipher the clues from statements, hyperbole, clues in ASM and other comics. I personally beleive there will be a resolution to OMD soon and possibly RYV will be revealed as having more to do with the original Parkers than we think. It would be very easy for Marvel to emulate what DC have done with Superman and his family.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #402
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Okay, I'm trying to get some clarification:

So One More Day is that story arc where Spider-Man made a deal with Mephisto, and it changed history to where his marriage to Mary Jane was erased and he didn't remember it?

and the Renew Your Vows series is an alternate timeline where that didn't happen, and now he and MJ have a kid with spider-powers?

Do I have that right?
You got it right. It does appear though, that the RYV timeline diverged from 616 a long time before OMD came into play though, so it's not like: "In this series, the Parkers said no to Mephisto and life continued on," more like an alternate take on the married years period.

Quote:
I haven't read a Spider-Man solo series in a while but in Spider-Man/Deadpool there was a story that lead to Spider-Man starting to feel off, empty inside, and it's implied that he will soon remember what happened with Mephisto (thanks, Wade!).
Heard about that. It will be interesting to see where that goes.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #403
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Noticed Slott was on a substantially ruder rampage on CBR over the last 24 hours...and he even admits it's because he turned in all of his homework to the teachers and was too lazy to get some half-way decent exercise.

And in keeping with the pattern of only doing this when news of MJ springs up, it was then reported that FCBD titles will be plugged on Good Morning America.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #404
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Noticed Slott was on a substantially ruder rampage on CBR over the last 24 hours...and he even admits it's because he turned in all of his homework to the teachers and was too lazy to get some half-way decent exercise.
Yeah, I was there. Same old same old.

Quote:
And in keeping with the pattern of only doing this when news of MJ springs up, it was then reported that FCBD titles will be plugged on Good Morning America.
Could be. It's also very interesting that there's a lot of chatter about OMD right now; you got a thread about whether OMD was good or not, whether Spider-Man being married was good or not, there's even a thread about whether Slott understands Spider-Man. Funny happenstances all around.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:42 AM   #405
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Could be. It's also very interesting that there's a lot of chatter about OMD right now; you got a thread about whether OMD was good or not, whether Spider-Man being married was good or not, there's even a thread about whether Slott understands Spider-Man. Funny happenstances all around.
It's the anniversary of when this all started, and next year marks ten years of when Slott started on the title. Expect more of this.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #406
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Also over on CBR, Slott finally took to addressing his infamous "Peter's love for MJ is anti-Marvel" comments when someone brought them up to counter-argue. He claims he was misquoted, and now reckons RYV MJ and the MJ he wrote in Spider-Man/Human Torch show she is beautiful on the inside and out.

Curious that he opts to bring up his take on pre-OMD MJ as a good example of what the character ought to be
Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #407
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Also over on CBR, Slott finally took to addressing his infamous "Peter's love for MJ is anti-Marvel" comments when someone brought them up to counter-argue. He claims he was misquoted, and now reckons RYV MJ and the MJ he wrote in Spider-Man/Human Torch show she is beautiful on the inside and out.
Maybe he was misquoted? A broken clock is still right twice a day and all that. While I don't think he's a good Spider-Man writer (or that good a comic writer period), that doesn't mean that he's wrong about everything (he did do right by the characters in RYV, for example).

Quote:
Curious that he opts to bring up his take on pre-OMD MJ as a good example of what the character ought to be
According to Slott, he writes within Marvel's guidelines; if Spider-Man was married, he'd do that, since he's not, he doesn't. He also claimed that he has no hostility to either iteration. Whether you believe him or not, that his story.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #408
ZariusTwo
Overlord

RYV did remarkably better in March, and continues to outsell Miles and Spider-Gwen

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...ual-march-2017
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #409
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
RYV did remarkably better in March, and continues to outsell Miles and Spider-Gwen

Good to see. Hope that means a brighter future for it.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #410
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Slott on CBR saying he and the company want RYV to succeed and that crossovers are entirely possible. Plus we're getting more MJ variants.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #411
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:

As it should be.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 AM   #412
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Renew Your Vows Issue Six is packed with twists and insights into more of how this world works

Spoiler:
-We learn from Cyclops that Xavier and the Avengers came up with an alternative to the registration act...self-monitoring of all heroes and mutants. Mary Jane's never even heard of the registration act until now. Cyclops tells her Xavier beleived the act would have led to Civil War, but...well..who knows eh?

-Cyclops is pretty bitter, as Xavier's actions cost him the woman he loved. Jean is now married to Logan and they have a red-headed daughter called Kate, whose codename at the school is "Shine". who Annie takes a liking to.

-Annie argues a bit with Jubilee about her new friend at school.

-Mary Jane stands up to Xavier, not wanting Annie to be taken away from a normal life, which she insists she can provide for her above everyone else. Go Spider-Mom.

-Annie's latest vision is of her father and Wolverine being pummeled by someone with a bit of a spark in her

-Magneto and the brotherhood attacks the school and kill Beast (he also kills Banshee earlier in the comic), before infiltrating the room containing Cerebro. Jubilee is revealed as a traitor!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #413
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Renew Your Vows Issue Six is packed with twists and insights into more of how this world works

Spoiler:
-We learn from Cyclops that Xavier and the Avengers came up with an alternative to the registration act...self-monitoring of all heroes and mutants. Mary Jane's never even heard of the registration act until now. Cyclops tells her Xavier beleived the act would have led to Civil War, but...well..who knows eh?

-Cyclops is pretty bitter, as Xavier's actions cost him the woman he loved. Jean is now married to Logan and they have a red-headed daughter called Kate, whose codename at the school is "Shine". who Annie takes a liking to.

-Annie argues a bit with Jubilee about her new friend at school.

-Mary Jane stands up to Xavier, not wanting Annie to be taken away from a normal life, which she insists she can provide for her above everyone else. Go Spider-Mom.

-Annie's latest vision is of her father and Wolverine being pummeled by someone with a bit of a spark in her

-Magneto and the brotherhood attacks the school and kill Beast (he also kills Banshee earlier in the comic), before infiltrating the room containing Cerebro. Jubilee is revealed as a traitor!
Liked the issue overall. In regards to spoilers:

Spoiler:
The question of whether it'd be better for the Parkers to put Annie in superhero boarding school or a closer semblance of a normal life is an interesting question that I like the idea of exploring.

It's nice to get a little more info, like how Civil War didn't happen. I gathered on some message boards that the idea of Wolverine and Jean Grey being married wasn't a popular idea, so I wonder what the reaction will be (I was indifferent to it, but being lukewarm to the traditional X-Men love stories in the movies and gravitating more to the less conventional ones in the Evolution cartoon, I'm not exactly a purist here).

Did the Brotherhood actually kill Beast? I couldn't tell.

Wonder how readers will react to Jubilee being the turncoat; I've gathered she's a fan favorite?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #414
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Spoiler:
Did the Brotherhood actually kill Beast? I couldn't tell.
Spoiler:
I'm only kind of gathering that from the (seemingly) gaping hole in the chest where the blast struck him. I could be wrong. We'll see next issue.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #415
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm only kind of gathering that from the (seemingly) gaping hole in the chest where the blast struck him. I could be wrong. We'll see next issue.
Spoiler:
Forgot about that, took a closer look at the page. We see him getting hit by the blast, but no blood or guts flying or a clear indication that it penetrated the skin (it doesn't look 3-D enough, if that makes any sense). We next see him lying on the ground with the wound smoking, but no clarity if he's dead or just dazed (with a huge bald spot on his front).

When reading it, I assumed that he wasn't dead, but I think it's vague enough that he could've been killed or survived depending on what suites future storytelling, so you could be right. Considering that the issue appears to open with Banshee being killed, it seems that Conway is writing with the idea that supporting characters do not have plot armor.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #416
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Spoiler:
Yeah, I remember Claremont's X-Men Forever saw him kill off Iron Man early on in the issue's run too

I honestly hate it when AU titles take liberties like that, just to reenforce "hey, this is an AU", it does'nt help most Marvel What Ifs tend to be bloodbaths
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #417
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Cover for July's RYV

And that month's Spidey/Deadpool (hur hur)

Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #418
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ryan Stegman will now be co-writing the comic, starting with issue 9

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/stat...80829170057216
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #419
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Like that cover.

Quote:
And that month's Spidey/Deadpool (hur hur)

https://static4.comicvine.com/upload...8585-14925.jpg
Too soon.

Quote:
Ryan Stegman will now be co-writing the comic, starting with issue 9

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/stat...80829170057216
Hope that goes well.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #420
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Read over on Comicvine that Chip Zradsky revealed he's writing mainline Peter and MJ like they're best friends again, eroding all the bitter tension they've had under Slott's run

I suppose it's something anyway...

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns