The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 08-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #161
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Mainly I want to relase the game in batches. If I wait until the game is complete it would take forever. I mean what's the point of working on this game for so long only to accidentally trip and fall in the bathtub and maybe die and then the game won't be played by anyone ever. You know? OK that sounded kinda dark but hopefully it makes sense
Oh, man I totally agree!

I remember when I drew my first (and only) fan comic, I resolved that I wouldn't post any actual pages until I was confident I could finish the whole thing. I ended up posting the whole thing over a single month (I think pages got uploaded in a Thursday, Saturday, Sunday release schedule or something). My thinking at the time was "I don't want people to get invested in this and then have to wait 6 months to 2 years to finish it!" But that was only because I thought the story's pacing was essential.

I definitely think for a game like this, it's great to get to play it after seeing all the various previews. At the same time, I hope early releases won't steal the thunder from the full game release. I've actually been saving each of your releases thus far since each has been a little different than the others.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #162
Xav
Foot Elite

A few questions:

I like that you recreated the intro from the first NES game, but why not use the music?

Are you gonna change the stats of the Turtles, because what's the point of choosing Mike over Leo if their stats are the same?

Will all characters be able to use vehicles? Because Slash didn't seem to be able to.

Why not make the Foot Soldiers playable?

On the level select screen will you put a ship for the ship level?

Can the playable Mecaturtle fly? Because can't I seem to figure it out.

I'm not sure if this counts as an error, but if you fall in a pit while using the unlimited health cheat you don't respawn.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #163
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Bugs and such. One of the earlier versions crashed when a 3rd of 4rd players joined in (d'oh!). And of course suggestions are welcome.

Mainly I want to relase the game in batches. If I wait until the game is complete it would take forever. I mean what's the point of working on this game for so long only to accidentally trip and fall in the bathtub and maybe die and then the game won't be played by anyone ever. You know? OK that sounded kinda dark but hopefully it makes sense
Doesn't sound dark at all, I totally hear you.

Just wanted to say Great Job! I've downloaded each version so far and they get better and better, I'm really looking forward to the full version when it's ready.
LeoRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #164
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Oh, man I totally agree!

I remember when I drew my first (and only) fan comic, I resolved that I wouldn't post any actual pages until I was confident I could finish the whole thing. I ended up posting the whole thing over a single month (I think pages got uploaded in a Thursday, Saturday, Sunday release schedule or something). My thinking at the time was "I don't want people to get invested in this and then have to wait 6 months to 2 years to finish it!" But that was only because I thought the story's pacing was essential.

I definitely think for a game like this, it's great to get to play it after seeing all the various previews. At the same time, I hope early releases won't steal the thunder from the full game release. I've actually been saving each of your releases thus far since each has been a little different than the others.
And maybe that would be the best way to approach it - wait until the whole game is complete and release it in full form. That's what I did with the Power Rangers game, and it's what I think helped it have good word of mouth (as first impressions were stronger than what they would have been otherwise).

This time I'm doing it differently, but I'm still not sure if it's the right way to do this. That "steal the thunder" factor annoys me, really. I'm the type of guy that avoids even watching movie trailers, in hopes to be surprised 100% while watching a movie. So for a fangame like this, the ideal scenario would be for players to give it a try, not knowing the full list of unlockable characters or any surprise cameos beforehand. BUT on the other hand, if prospective players didn't know about these extra things, they may not even give the game a try in the first place... it's an obscure fan game after all. Catch 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
A few questions:

I like that you recreated the intro from the first NES game, but why not use the music?
To make things different. Specially since this is not a straight remake of the first NES game.
Quote:
Are you gonna change the stats of the Turtles, because what's the point of choosing Mike over Leo if their stats are the same?
Very good question. The answer is no. The differene between the Turtles is only their special move, as was (I think) the case in TMNT3. The reason why? Well, I don't think there's a canon differentiation between the Turtle stats in the old toon, but also I want to avoid that you have to play as a turtle different than your favotite simply because his stats are not your cup of tea (see: Raphael being weaksauce in Turtles in Time)
Quote:
Will all characters be able to use vehicles? Because Slash didn't seem to be able to.
No, some characters (most bosses) are just too big and don't fit the vehicles.
Quote:
Why not make the Foot Soldiers playable?
Would you like to play as a Foot Soldier?
Quote:
On the level select screen will you put a ship for the ship level?
I have thought about it. Have been lazy about it to be honest.
Quote:
Can the playable Mecaturtle fly? Because can't I seem to figure it out.
He can't fly.
Quote:
I'm not sure if this counts as an error, but if you fall in a pit while using the unlimited health cheat you don't respawn.
Definitely an error. Thanks for bringing this to my atention. I personally despise that cheat so I'll see if I can disable in future editions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaph View Post
Doesn't sound dark at all, I totally hear you.

Just wanted to say Great Job! I've downloaded each version so far and they get better and better, I'm really looking forward to the full version when it's ready.
Thank you very much!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #165
Powder
So tired of this place

Any chance you'll include some of the toyetic characters like Muckman or Mutagen Man? They had OT episodes & their popularity's been revived with their inclusion in Nick's series.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #166
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Any chance you'll include some of the toyetic characters like Muckman or Mutagen Man? They had OT episodes & their popularity's been revived with their inclusion in Nick's series.
Not those in particular but in the next release I'm including Fugitoid (in toy colors).
Old 09-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #167
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Very good question. The answer is no. The differene between the Turtles is only their special move, as was (I think) the case in TMNT3. The reason why? Well, I don't think there's a canon differentiation between the Turtle stats in the old toon, but also I want to avoid that you have to play as a turtle different than your favotite simply because his stats are not your cup of tea (see: Raphael being weaksauce in Turtles in Time)
I very much appreciate this approach. Although I certainly understand that one of the turtles might be more skilled or naturally gifted than another in regards to strength or speed, I never really liked that some of the games made them so different in gameplay attributes. It's even more noticeable in some fighting games. I think it's important to remember than each turtle had the same teacher, so their styles should logically be more similar than different. In the OT especially, there was no distinctive physically distinguishing characteristics between the turtles. They all appeared to be in equal physical condition and body types (with the exception of Michelangelo whenever he got lazy and flabby).

All that said, I always prefer speed in my classic beat em ups over power, as some enemies can be nigh impossible to hit in games like Streets of Rage.

With all the diverse characters and gameplay styles you are working into Rescue Palooza, I think differentiating each turtle by special move is perfect. TMNT3 introduced that feature and no other game did a better job of making the turtles feel unique, even though their stats were otherwise the same.

View my sketch work!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #168
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
To make things different. Specially since this is not a straight remake of the first NES game.
That's cool. But are you gonna use it anywhere in the game?
Quote:
No, some characters (most bosses) are just too big and don't fit the vehicles.
So why can't Meca? He's the same size as the Turtles.
Quote:
Would you like to play as a Foot Soldier?
Perhaps, I think it might be fun to play as some of the non-boss enemies.
Quote:
He can't fly.
But why not? I was thinking maybe you could give some some characters multiple special moves? Like for example if you double jump Mecaturtle flies, or if if you press down attack he shoots a missile out of his head. Or pressing down attack with Slash could make him shoot his special move forward.

One more thing. On the rooftop stage why can't you destroy the turrets on the platforms before you fight Slash? You can destroy the big ones on the battleship.

Last edited by Xav; 09-02-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 AM   #169
Tortuglio
Thug

Such great, amazing and creative work, men. Really, there's always a nice surprise awaiting.

Some things i would like to comment:

-The Rodneys' electric cable grabs the character for a few seconds instead of just slapping/touching them. I believe you did it like that because of the complexity of doing it the other way with so many different characters, wich is fine by me, but i wanted to satisfy my curiosity haha.

-Rocksteady also has a kick attack for when you are too close. Again, i believe it's not there because the project is still a WIP.

Quote:
And for last, i think that Raph's fingers should look just a bit wider. I bet you have and image from where you traced that drawing, but as a quick example i could only think of this image:
http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic...4/19/cover.jpg

Not the same perspective or angle, but i think it works for looking at size.

Again, excellent job!
Tortuglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #170
Tortuglio
Thug

well, i tried to do it myself, but i've got to hand it to you... those fingers are ****ing hard to draw! i tried another pose for the thumb, but don't know if it's better or worse.

Tortuglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #171
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

You have been LP'd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MpQ5WWQUHY

Also while watching this I was for some reason thinking that you could probably incorporate some stuff from Radical_Rescue if you wanted some more OT/playmates style bosses.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

Last edited by Cryomancer; 09-29-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #172
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
You have been LP'd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MpQ5WWQUHY

Also while watching this I was for some reason thinking that you could probably incorporate some stuff from Radical_Rescue if you wanted some more OT/playmates style bosses.
Haha, looks like the LPer struggled trying to beat Rooftop Run with April as much as I did at first. Slash is genuinely tough to avoid without a jump kick attack!

View my sketch work!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #173
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
You have been LP'd:

Cool! here it is embedded.

Is the barcode on the character select screen real? my barcode scanner app couldn't scan it.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 AM   #174
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I'm just now seeing this thread and learning of this game for the first time.

All I can say is: WOW.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #175
Crynal
Random Punk

Just curious, any plans on putting the turtle allies that you rescue in cages, frozen, tied up, etc in the background just before you rescue them and join up, with a thank you or such? Like how the 2 NES games did with April and Splinter tied up and struggling?

Can't wait until you finish this, it keeps looking better and better!
Crynal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #176
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Sorry for disappearing for so long. I stupidly forgot my password for the longest time.

Quote:
That's cool. But are you gonna use it anywhere in the game?
I have a plan for the game but some things keep changing around so it's hard to tell you with certainty what will be in the final version. But I appreciate your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuglio View Post
-The Rodneys' electric cable grabs the character for a few seconds instead of just slapping/touching them. I believe you did it like that because of the complexity of doing it the other way with so many different characters, wich is fine by me, but i wanted to satisfy my curiosity haha.
It's because of laziness as you say. I might come back and fix that later on. For now my priority is the creation of new stages and unlockable characters (mainly because it would be weird to release new stages that don't have anyone to unlock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuglio View Post
-Rocksteady also has a kick attack for when you are too close. Again, i believe it's not there because the project is still a WIP.
Again, laziness. Also, I hope that the lack of that attack will be less obvious in the final game, because that level will pit you against both Bebop and Rocksteady at the same time.

Quote:
Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Quote:
I am in fact adding characters from that game, and also one of the Technodrome stages will be based on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Is the barcode on the character select screen real? my barcode scanner app couldn't scan it.
It's not. Because of the screen resolution, it doesn't have the right amount of bars. But it's very funny that you tried that. It's based on the barcode of a real TMNT figure, but I forgot which one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
I'm just now seeing this thread and learning of this game for the first time.

All I can say is: WOW.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crynal View Post
Just curious, any plans on putting the turtle allies that you rescue in cages, frozen, tied up, etc in the background just before you rescue them and join up, with a thank you or such? Like how the 2 NES games did with April and Splinter tied up and struggling?
I have thought about it, it has its pros and cons, so I'm not sure yet.

I believe most of you guys are already aware of this, but I released another demo this week, here.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #177
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Wow, this game keeps getting more impressive! I watched that and was quite surprised at many clever decisions throughout. Keep it up!

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #178
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I was stunned by the coolness of the execution when Shredder butted into the junkyard level and used the Eye of Sarnath to create the Cement Monster... clever way to integrate the video game sprites with the cartoon series' plots.

View my sketch work!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #179
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Thank you, guys!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #180
Ninjinister
無問題

Rocksteady's lack of an up-close melee actually crossed my mind watching that footage of him as playable. Maybe that could be his jump + attack at the same time attack if he doesn't already have one.

Tags
fan game, remix