The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the 2003 series is under-appreciated?
Yes, I do think its under-appreciated 107 88.43%
No, it has enough credit/meh I dont care for it 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Do you feel the 2k3 series is under-appreciated?

I mean, its the series that brought TMNT back after the crash from 'The Next Sh*tation' it set the shape of the future of TMNT and its now just thrown off to the side while the other series have all the attention. In the other thread 'When do you think you'll start feeling nostalgia for the 2003 series' most people on their just shove off the series, it brought a new angle to the TMNT-verse and it always had a balance of new and old characters unlike the 2k12 series where it almost always uses old characters (no hate for the 2k12 series, I still love it). I'd just like to see if people think so or not, and there can be discussion about it.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Peter Laird and the 2k3 series as a whole is literally the savior for TMNT

After Kevin Eastman made next mutation and then crashed and burned straight up ran from the franchise by selling his half to Peter Laird.

TMNT was literally dead for a solid 5 years. Dead as a door nail. Pete Laird saved the franchise with 2k3. The 2k3 also proved TMNT was not just a fad, but an actual profitable property with a strong following with staying power.

The 2k3 series also led to the 07 film and was set to make a follower up sequel/reboot before the NICK buy-out.

The 2k3 series also led to the Nick Buy-out as said before it prove to everyone the profitability and staying power of TMNT

So yeah the 2k3 series is under-rated. It is probably by far the most under-rated part of TMNT.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
FrMikey
Random Punk

I'm french and in France the 2K3 series is almost unknown.

People know the 87 series very much, they know there is currently the Nick series but the only ones who know the existence of the 2K3 series are the TMNT fans and those who have known this series when they were kids (and they don't know the 87 series...).
Moreover in France few people do not know that the Ninja Turtles are first comic book characters
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrMikey View Post

People know the 87 series very much, they know there is currently the Nick series but the only ones who know the existence of the 2K3 series are the TMNT fans and those who have known this series when they were kids (and they don't know the 87 series...).
Moreover in France few people do not know that the Ninja Turtles are first comic book characters
Same here. Some people don't even know about the Nick toon here and thought the Turtles were back for the first time in years when the Bay movie was announced. The 2007 CG film also went by somewhat unnoticed.

But it seems to be a universal thing. I've talked to people of many countries and many had no idea about the 4Kids series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Turtle Park
Random Punk

Same in Taiwan, most people here known about 87 series, so when 07 movie release a lot of people start asking like why the April is not a reporter that kind of question.

So yes, those known about 2K3 are either fans or the kids in 2000 era.

Irony is, that I didn't know it until 2010, which is the year I start become TMNT fan, by the time it happened, I'm already in high school.

Now 2k12 also made it's way air in Taiwan, I'm kind of worry the younger generation will think that is what TMNT should be, without knowing there's much more different world like the original comic exist.
Turtle Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Same here. Some people don't even know about the Nick toon here and thought the Turtles were back for the first time in years when the Bay movie was announced. The 2007 CG film also went by somewhat unnoticed.

But it seems to be a universal thing. I've talked to people of many countries and many had no idea about the 4Kids series.
I don't really agree with you on some of that, when the Nick show started you coold see it everywhere, the toys had huge displays in toy stores, in fact Toys'r'us had an entire section just for them in their stores, you could also see publicity everywhere, like a huge outdoor display in Campo Grande and even Donnie plastered all over the side of the subway trains. It did die out a little recently but you can still see toys on every toy isle around here, usually peg warmers though but I think it's like that all over Europe, heck I even saw some of the Mega Bloks sets last week on Jumbo, they where all gone 2 days later so people are still aware of them.

Also the 2007 movie got great publicity back then, especially when you had someone like Nuno Markl involved on its dub, in fact it's the only movie you can still buy in stores here other then the Bay one.

But yeah, the 4kids show kinda went oover everyone, it still aired completely dubbed and I do remember seing some toys and DVDs back in the day, but people didn't made a huge deal out of it, my girl used to love them when she was a kid though, she still sings the opening from time to time.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I think it was appreciated enough. But honestly the poll should have 3 options.
Saying it has gotten enough credit and "meh I don't care for it" in the same option is a bit of a cop out. I really like this series, but it got credit where credit was due.
IMO the thing that "saved the franchise" was the start of Mirage Volume 4. Without that, no 2K3, no 2k7 nothing of that sort, hell Peter might've sold it to someone else that wouldn't have treated the TMNT as well as Nick has been doing.
I really liked 2k3, and it holds up pretty well today. Its not for everyone but I love it for what it is. Probably my favorite show in my teen years, as it was one of the 5-10 things I watched completely from start to finish. Even when I had to work I recorded whole seasons of it on my vcr (I'm old school so sue me).
Back in 8th grade and high school it's a show people would still watch and talk about. And not just nerds (even though by man accounts I totally was/ still kinda am)
Old 02-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Turo602
The King of Kings

I think it's very under-appreciated. It had a lot of things working against it. First off, it was on an unpopular network. A lot of people weren't even aware of its existence when the show was out and even today. It was drastically different from the original 80s cartoon which could be considered a negative depending on who you ask. It's quite obvious why the 80s cartoon was such a big hit and why it's still remembered very fondly today but even the Nick show got such a huge welcoming with everyone upon its release. Right off the bat, being on such a well known network such as Nickelodeon was a huge help. It also borrows quite a lot from the original cartoon that a lot of people grew up with who most likely have kids of their own by now who they can share the show with. TMNT 2k3 was such an amazing show so it really is a shame that it kind of went unnoticed. It certainly left a mark, just not as big a mark as I feel it deserves.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:

The 2003 series at least aired in France (and in French in Québec, Canada) https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_To...nimation,_2003)

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
FrMikey
Random Punk

Yep, but only those who have seen this series during four years when it was on TV know about it. (Only the first four seasons were released in France)
Old 02-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

The 2K3 series seems to be the overlooked middle child between the OT and the Nick series. I think that's a shame because it had an incredible run, and not as many people in the future may want to look into it. Oh well.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yep, but only those who have seen this series during four years when it was on TV know about it. (Only the first four seasons were released in France)
I think the reason for that was because some contract had ended or something had happened with the channel that aired it, either way they still could've aired the rest but they must've been too lazy like the guys who created the DVDs
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The 2003 series at least aired in France (and in French in Québec, Canada) https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_To...nimation,_2003)
Yes it did. It was on Télétoon. A well known channel for cartoon. I was awair of it but only watched it when it was over. Out of the three (four?) tv show, I got to say that its my favorite, storywise.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

@Galactus

Leatherhead and Mikey having a kinship. Expanded upon more so in 2k12 but Mikey the first one to befriend him was something I first saw in 2k3.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #15
Zak The Neutrino
Stone Warrior

I'm still working in watching the whole 2k3 series for the first time.
Zak The Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
ABrown
Banned

Of the three TMNT cartoons, the 4Kids series is the one that's least recognized. It's only us TMNT fanatics that seem to give it the attention that it deserves. Which is unfortunate, as I consider it to be the best TMNT cartoon.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
Editor's Note Comics
Foot Soldier

To me it doesn't feel under appreciated. The older fans that watched it still appreciate it; and the younger ones that grew up on it haven't reached the age yet to remember the show nostalgically since its only been off air seven years. Aside from poor/lack of DVD releases, is it under appreciated in any other way?
Editor's Note Comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
Yoshimickster
Foot Soldier

Considering they are taking a GOOD long while to release all of it on DVD, I'd say so.
Yoshimickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Don't think I'll ever have the same nostalgia for it as the first toon, but it has served a good purpose in tmnt fandom and is indeed deserving of continuous recognition.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
xbennoda
Random Punk

Words cannot explain how unappreciated this era of the Turtles is, honestly. It's very hard to find people in my country that know that this era existed, since they only know the '87 cartoon and the current Nick one. I, in my opinion, am not a fan of either of those... I just can't wrap my head around how immature those two are. With 2k3 you can experience a balance between comedy and actual fighting. The plot is great, literally perfection to me. I miss it so much.

"...and walk this way"
xbennoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2k3 series, channelmadness