The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #281
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Just under 15,000? This is making me nervous. I like it float around 20,000. This is the worst yet I think. Such quality story telling. People should pick it up and see this quality that may not have been in a TMNT comic before this.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #282
Tazi
Mad Scientist

What are like those numbers compared to the sales of other IDW comic series?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #283
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Both the ongoing and Nick comic were down about 1,000 sales from the previous month. The Shredder micro didn't do all that hot either.

Pretty disappointing to see sales slip. We're only 2 years into IDW TMNT and I would hope to get at least a 5 year run.
I promise you that TMNT will probably get a five year run. When the movie finally comes out, I bet we will see a spike in sale over the long.
Makes me wish IDW would give a way some sort of movie issue tie-in with the movie, then again if the movie was bad it would shoot TMNT in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Quit your bitching, you negative ****.
Thank you
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #284
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is what I've been talking about for months, now that the initial hype period has faded away, a lot of the casuals are dropping the comics, and only us hardcore TMNT fans are still buying it.

It's a real shame to see the main ongoing only at 14,000 when it used to hover around 18,000-20,000.

This makes me think IDW is going to have to promote some major event in the comic again for another massive spike, or perhaps killing off an important character to drive up hype.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #285
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Remember that paper comics have been in a decline in recent years, so its not too surprising that a slight decline has been registered. But remember that January is traditionally a weak month following the Christmas holidays. Hopefully that means more bargain bin deals soon before the movie hypes the casuals back in. Hopefully the end of City Fall will mean a big turn of events, and lots not forget the 30th anniversary promotions to get a boost.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #286
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah but these declines have been happening for a few months, with only a few sales spikes due to incentive covers and the start of certain arcs.

I wonder how much longer the Nick comic will go on especially with it only doing 6,000 in sales. We'll know how low IDW is willing to tolerate TMNT comics selling when the Nick animated comic gets the axe first.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #287
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
This is what I've been talking about for months, now that the initial hype period has faded away, a lot of the casuals are dropping the comics, and only us hardcore TMNT fans are still buying it.

It's a real shame to see the main ongoing only at 14,000 when it used to hover around 18,000-20,000.

This makes me think IDW is going to have to promote some major event in the comic again for another massive spike, or perhaps killing off an important character to drive up hype.
For the last ****ing time, TMNT is IDW's second best selling license. Clearly ahead of Transformers, GI Joe and Star Trek. The much newer X-Files stuff is the only other thing vying for the #2 spot right now.

You are now banned from this thread.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #288
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Well from what I read these sale number only account for paper comic sales and not digital. so we don't know the actual sale numbers.

apparently 10% of IDW comic sales are digital so use a little math and you can get a rough sale figure of the actual TMNT comic sales

Last edited by Redeemer; 02-11-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #289
fugitoid9000
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I couldn't be happier here...we finally(at least in 2009 I certainly didn't expect there to be a NEW turtles comics book for real...more like somewhere in the distant foggy future with luck there'll be reprints)...I tell you it feels so good to await a new issue each month again, like in the old days..I only got into getting monthly comic books because of mirage tmnt comics...
and now the book is also SO GOOD and EXCITING...with sales numbers staying anywhere near these marks there must be LOTS of years of the new book ahead!thank you idw amigos!!
I agree i read city fall about a week ago and i'm completely hooked. I'm now scrambling to get everything leading up to those issues. The bidding is really competitive for this series on ebay and rightly so, It's Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
fugitoid9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #290
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

There is no way they would stop publishing during a movie run. If the first movie does well and sequels are announced....they wouldn't drop the license and give up market share to another publisher. I am sure they are doing fine. When you add up all the $ TMNT brings IDW it has to be decent (Classics, Ongoing, AA, Micros, Ultimate Collections, IDW Limited Offerings, Digital, TPBs...)
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #291
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
When you add up all the $ TMNT brings IDW it has to be decent (Classics, Ongoing, AA, Micros, Ultimate Collections, IDW Limited Offerings, Digital, TPBs...)
Exactly you know IDW is making a killing!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 AM   #292
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:

So are you saying that we need those casuals who buy TMNT? Or are they horrible scum who are unwanted? Because if they're both, that's kind of silly...

Can we just say anyone who puts money down for TMNT is a welcomed fan?

Plus, almost every ongoing series has declining sales. It's either going up or down, and unless you have some crazy momentum going like The Walking Dead, it's going to be down, little by little. For a comic that's approaching 3 years old, I think the sales are pretty solid.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #293
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Matches has it right. There are always anomalies, but the vast majority of titles decline over time, either by a little or by a lot. That's just they way it is with anything. With TMNT, it's a pretty gentle decline. Honestly, there's a lot of good hype around the book right now, and for a series this far along, that means more people are picking up the trades to see what the good word of mouth is about. Of course i'd like better numbers, but we're doing very, very well for a non-Marvel/DC book in it's third year.

It could be that we take some horrible turns and start shedding readers at a faster rate, but I don't think that's going to be the case. If we continue as is, we're very safe till #50, possibly well beyond. No one is more concerned about the status of the book than me, and I feel really good about the future of the book.

The only thing anyone can really do is, if you're enjoying the book, buy it (maybe pre-order!) tell your friends, post about it online. The rest will take care of itself.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #294
BODYCOUNT
Thug

After reading City Fall (a bday gift from my wife) i went out and bought all the issues for City Fall and #1-6 of the trades. Just finished Vol 5 Krang War. Just gotta pic up the micro trades and im set. This series has really rekindled my love for the Turtles. My children are just as in to it as well. But the writing in these books are great and i cant get enough of them. I have a feeling the movie will really push the comics sales as older folks who grew up in the early (been down since day 1) 80's as children will now have the loot to go out and buy these comics.

When Shredder gutted Casey in City Fall Thats when i knew that this was the real deal. If you can go that far as to mortally wound a main character like that. I knew that the writers were gonna deliver the goods. Thanks man!
BODYCOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #295
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODYCOUNT View Post
When Shredder gutted Casey in City Fall Thats when i knew that this was the real deal.
Damn straight!!!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #296
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODYCOUNT View Post
When Shredder gutted Casey in City Fall Thats when i knew that this was the real deal. If you can go that far as to mortally wound a main character like that. I knew that the writers were gonna deliver the goods. Thanks man!
Amen. That panel left my mouth hanging open. This incarnation of Shredder has quickly risen to become my favorite. Out of all the other Shredders, how many of them have actually used those gauntlets on-screen like that? Dude means business.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #297
BODYCOUNT
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Amen. That panel left my mouth hanging open. This incarnation of Shredder has quickly risen to become my favorite. Out of all the other Shredders, how many of them have actually used those gauntlets on-screen like that? Dude means business.
Shredder = My favorite character by far in this rendition of the turtles.
BODYCOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #298
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

I got into the IDW Series after City Fall and have been buying every Issue from the TMNT Comics App ever since!

One way you guys could help boost the sales is by adding Social Networking sites like a Twitter/Facebook Page, just to spread out the fan base. Hell, even the TMNTIDW Twitter name is free if you want to use it...

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #299
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Matches has it right. There are always anomalies, but the vast majority of titles decline over time, either by a little or by a lot. That's just they way it is with anything. With TMNT, it's a pretty gentle decline. Honestly, there's a lot of good hype around the book right now, and for a series this far along, that means more people are picking up the trades to see what the good word of mouth is about. Of course i'd like better numbers, but we're doing very, very well for a non-Marvel/DC book in it's third year.

It could be that we take some horrible turns and start shedding readers at a faster rate, but I don't think that's going to be the case. If we continue as is, we're very safe till #50, possibly well beyond. No one is more concerned about the status of the book than me, and I feel really good about the future of the book.

The only thing anyone can really do is, if you're enjoying the book, buy it (maybe pre-order!) tell your friends, post about it online. The rest will take care of itself.
Hey do you think that maybe if the movie does well enough it actually might boost comics sales and help improve the longevity of the book???
Old 03-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #300
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post

Are digital copies taken into account for these numbers?
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion