The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 12-23-2020, 02:38 AM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I picked up the free preview issue this week and it looks like Bruce Wayne (and all the other Legacy characters of Kal-El, Diana) is still around and in costume, but I'm not certain what role they will be playing:
"Presumed dead and on the run, Future State is not going to be easy for Bruce Wayne--thus the rough-and-tumble tactical gear he's sporting in Future State: Dark Detective.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Nation...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
Talk about have their cake and eat it too. But I guess that's their way to get things back to normal after they're done collecting diversity virtue points

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #22
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

They are not done with diversity virtue points because I lost two titles to it, Hal Jordan is without a title and John Stewart gets his own despite being in Justice League and Tamaki took Detective Comics from Peter Tomasi. If you have been reading 'Tec you can tell he was setting up storylines with the mayoral candidate and The Mirror and the Hush storyline was not meant to be pushed forward like that. It makes the whole Mirror build up pointless.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't dislike John Stewart. But to me he's by far the least interesting of the "main" Lanterns. "GL: Mosaic" back in the day was an interesting book but it didn't really give me much impetus to want to see him in a starring role outside of that. Seeing as how he's basically "The replacement for the replacement Green Lantern" by design, he just kinda feels redundant, to me.

I often wonder just what the DC higher-ups have against Guy Gardner. If Hal or Kyle can't be the focus of the main GL book for whatever reason, there's your Go-To right there. More people really ought to track down the first 16 or so issues of his solo book from back in the day, before it was re-branded "Warrior". Low-key one of the best books DC was putting out at that time, and "Yesterday's Sins" is still one of the best character studies they've ever done with ANY of their characters. That whole run was incredible.

Then DC was like, "Yeah, this new Kyle kid is gonna be the only Power Ring guy we have," so they took Sinestro's ring away from Gardner and the book kinda went to sh*t after that. But that first year and a half? Pure magic.

For one of DC's all-around best characters, he sure spends a lot of time either completely on the shelf or totally mishandled. Shame. He could easily carry a book. He's done it before, after all, and not even when he was Green Lantern.

I mean, it's canon that he was supposed to get the ring originally instead of Hal, anyway; it's just that Hal was physically closer to Abin Sur while Abin was dying, but Guy was technically "first pick". Although it was later revealed that if he HAD gotten the ring instead of Hal, he would have been killed in the line of duty in short order. But regardless, considering how important he's been presented as being on more than one occasion... you'd think they'd throw him a bone more often.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/revis...nite-frontier/

This article breaks down Jim Lee's comments on the creative direction being undergone 3 months ago.

I see what you are saying Leo. My brother is a Guy Gardner fan and has a similar opinion. John Stewart is a substitute. While I understand the reasoning in the comic for him instead of Hal Jordan in Justice League it would seem that in order to utilize more characters one Green Lantern has a solo title and a different one is included in the Justice League. That goes for any of them.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #25
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/revis...nite-frontier/

This article breaks down Jim Lee's comments on the creative direction being undergone 3 months ago.

I see what you are saying Leo. My brother is a Guy Gardner fan and has a similar opinion. John Stewart is a substitute. While I understand the reasoning in the comic for him instead of Hal Jordan in Justice League it would seem that in order to utilize more characters one Green Lantern has a solo title and a different one is included in the Justice League. That goes for any of them.
Was there ever a reason why they went with Stewart instead of Hal for the DCAU Justice League cartoon?

Also, I'm seeing Harley with the JL in that image. I've been missing a lot.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Was there ever a reason why they went with Stewart instead of Hal for the DCAU Justice League cartoon?

Also, I'm seeing Harley with the JL in that image. I've been missing a lot.
Um... No matter what reason they tell you, it's clear it's because he was black. Same reason with Hawkwoman, just so Wonder Woman wouldn't be the only woman on the team. Diversity. Same reason modern version of the Justice League try to cram Cyborg in there. Gotta have a black dude in there somewhere or else the JL is racist. Or something.

My main beef was it clashed with the Superman ep that introduced Kyle Rayner, and it also confused kids and made an entire generation think Stewart was the first Lanern. It got to the point they were confused as to who Hal was during the movie and cartoon series.

My beef with Hawkwoman is if they were gonna use a woman use an original character that's not a female version of an existing one, like Zatanna or Black Canary. Using Hawkwoman instead of Hawkman always felt to me as nonsensical as if some other bigtime superhero show used Batgirl as a stand in for Batman.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

That's pretty much 100% it, yeah. And yeah, it was damn annoying.

Especially when the JL movie was coming out and a ton of rubes were like, "No Hawkgirl? No John Stewart?! This isn't the Justice League!" When those characters historically have f*ck-all nothing to do with the Justice League in the first place, 99% of the time. I get that a lot of kids watched the show, but the show is an outlier.

The specific reason they "couldn't" use Hal Jordan in the cartoon, specifically, was that he was a major villain in the comics around that time as "Parallax" before being killed off outright - for a while - and the conventional wisdom going around was that having him be on the show as Green Lantern would either be too confusing or too dated. And that's kind of fine, there's a logic to that, sure. In theory they could have used Kyle since he was the GL in the Justice League comics at the time the show was running, or even Guy Gardner since he was a major JL member for a big chunk of the 80s and 90s. Either of those choices would have made sense. But they used Stewart specifically because they needed another black guy on the team. There's interviews floating around with the creative team where they pretty much come out and say exactly that.

And yeah, Hawkgirl was an even weirder choice. Just didn't make sense. Plenty of more-established female JL members if they just needed another chick. I mean if they were hellbent on eventually doing the "front person for an alien invasion" angle from the beginning - and I've never been convinced that they were, but IF they had always planned it out that way - why not use Maxima? I get that she's not as well-established but I mean, you could tell pretty much the Exact Same Story as what they ended up doing. And since Hawkman - who actually WAS a major Justice League member a lot of the time - ended up being more or less a complete afterthought in the cartoon... why bother with Hawkgirl?

Good show. Lotta dumb creative choices, though. Generally for dumb reasons.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote