The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
Diorm
Hench Mutant

27 years later, I Finally watched TMNT III

It’s been years now since I bought the trilogy of movies on Bluray, so I could own the first two movies in my collection. So last night, I was bored, I guess. I decided to finally watch the infamous third movie that I never saw in my entire life. The only knowledge of the movie I had was, the bad reputation and the Nerd review.

First things first I have to say that I’m what you guys would call a “French Canadian”. So, when I decided to watch the movie, I wanted to try the French version. I already knew about the bad jokes and dub of the turtles so I wanted to see what they did with a different dub. First problem; it was not in my original language. For people who doesn’t know, when they release a movie, they make two French versions. The Canadian version and the France version. Why? Because we have different way to say things and different background. And I have to say, I hate how the French pronounce English words or names (Omg the way they say Casey and Mikey) and I hate their slang to sound hype and cool. And the slang of the early 90s was so bad. Even worst, their Raphael had an accent. Why? It sounded really weird. (And their personality was all the same. Maybe like Rise is doing?) The first two movies were dub in French Canadian, but I found out that they never did it for the third one. So that may be why I never saw a rerun on tv or in VHS.

Ok so now the Turtles are talking with a French slang of the early 90s. And let me tell you, it was painfully obnoxious. Every time they started to talk, I just wanted them to stop. And they never stopped. Even when they were offscreen. In the first 15 minutes, I really wanted to change it back to English but kept on going. Since I already knew about the bad jokes, I wanted to know the French take on them. So yeah, still bad but some were better delivered. They were still corny tough.

Apart from the language, I think it was not as bad as people make it out to be. It was just really boring. I was constantly watching the clock. When I was 30 minutes in, I was sure I had half of the movie done.

I really like old Samurai movies, so those part were ok, I guess. Like one of the turtles said; it was like a Shogun episode, but an even boring one. It really felt like they wanted to make a movie with that kind of setup and decided to add the turtles at the end. Every time they showed up with their slang and bad jokes, I just wanted to return to the shogun movie.

So, yeah, the lips of the animatronic turtles were really weird. I know that its hard to make that kind of practical effect but how did they manage to make it look worst than the first two movies? And the way Splinter was showed like a Muppet character behind a wall really was fooling no one. They made it look obvious by making 90% of his appearances like that.

The battles were boring too. It felt like battles choreography from a 90s television show. The Katana battle they wanted to show off with the bad guy (forgot his name) and Leo was really bad. All in all, it was a let down because I know those guys under those suits are better than that. They even showed off in the credits at the start of the movie.

The sceptre made no sense. I never understood how it worked with the number of people holding it and the time it decided to activate. And how did Donatello figured out how it’s working. And the cloth changing was not consistent (The guy that tried to escape with the spectre at the end was wearing shorts, but when Mikey came back, he was not wearing them?) And if the guy who switched place with April changed clothes with her, does that mean he was wearing women underwear all the time? Anyway…

It’s sad because some actors looked like they tried to do something with what they got. The actress who play April was IMO the best part of the movie (forgetting the part that made me remember that Tarzan boy was a thing). I really wanted to see more of her. And when you want to see more of April over the turtles, that’s a bad sign. The only bad part from her was when she showed up at the lair and started to talk like a hype teenager with the turtles (with the bad French slang) and that Star Trek joke at the end. And I really was happy to see Casey with the original actor back. His parts were ok too. He just felt under used.

The bad guys were bland like I was expecting. The subplot with Casey’s ancestor was really underwhelming. I didn’t really get the rebellion with the shogun and the merchant. Maybe I was more tired that I tough because I don’t remember what was up with all of that.

So, there you have it. A quick review from a guy that never saw the movie in 27 years who speaks another language and was not blinded by nostalgia, or felt betrayed because he just saw the second movie two years before this one. It really just felt like a boring movie with bad animatronic. Maybe next time, I’ll watch it in English, but I’m not in any kind of hurry.

Next movies to watch that I never saw: The 2014 one and “Out of the Shadows “. Did I say that I was not in any kind of hurry?
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Whenever I see them, I find myself more forgiving of the third film despite its many flaws than I am of the second one. It's probably because the second movie acts as a "bridge" away from the superior first one, so much of what's wrong with III stings a little less since the second one was already a step down. If the third film had been the second film, it would have been infuriating; but after Part II standards had already dipped a bit.

The rest probably comes down to the fact that, in general, I can handle a kinda boring movie better than one that tries way too hard to be funny. III definitely has that problem too, but to a far lesser degree.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Diorm
Hench Mutant

See, that was the opposite for me. I thought they were trying way too hard to be funny in the third one. But, maybe it was because of the dub? I tried to watch some scenes back in english and they were less talkative in some parts.
Anyway thanks for reading my review, though!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
ABrown
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Whenever I see them, I find myself more forgiving of the third film despite its many flaws than I am of the second one. It's probably because the second movie acts as a "bridge" away from the superior first one, so much of what's wrong with III stings a little less since the second one was already a step down. If the third film had been the second film, it would have been infuriating; but after Part II standards had already dipped a bit.
You know, this is pretty much exactly how I feel about the third film. Casual TMNT fans, who haven't seen any of the movies in decades, seem to have false memories of the second movie being the best one. It seemed great as a child, but as an adult the first movie is far superior.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
frank_one
Stone Warrior

This is the first time I hear about different dubs for French and French Canadian, interesting. So far I've only seen the third movie with the italian dub, the last time probably being in 1996.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
See, that was the opposite for me. I thought they were trying way too hard to be funny in the third one. But, maybe it was because of the dub? I tried to watch some scenes back in english and they were less talkative in some parts.
Anyway thanks for reading my review, though!
Third one was definitely try-hard in spots, but the second movie was a full-blown cartoon. By "combat cold cuts" I'm usually ready for the thing to be over, and my heart sinks knowing that we're a long way yet from Vanilla Ice.

People will argue forever about the validity of doing Part II that way, and it's all already been said. The third one felt **a little bit** more in the spirit of the first one, at least, so I appreciated that.

The original film is the only one I ever watch for genuine enjoyment, though. I have huge issues with both II and III. But III makes me roll my eyes slightly less often.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
Next movies to watch that I never saw: The 2014 one and “Out of the Shadows “. Did I say that I was not in any kind of hurry?
Good review and I look forward to seeing your comparative opinion on these three after you've sat through the newer two; if you think TMNT 3 is better or worse.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #8
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Yeah I didnt want to watch those, but eventualy I will.
I didnt watch Batman/TMNT, neither. But I have the bluray since Christmas. I just keep forgetting about it.
Thanks for reading my review!
Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #9
AquaParade
Big Boss

What did everyone think of that part where April asks that guy in the dungeon if his name is Casey? That always confused me as a kid. My best guess is that they are conveying the idea that she is looking for someone familiar, but it always felt a bit awkward of an implication to me.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, Elias Koteas with or without a beard is still pretty recognizable as himself. Although maybe it's just because I've seen him in a bunch of stuff.

I'unno, I figured maybe she assumed Casey also got zapped back in time, and in the interim grew a beard, since aside from that they're identical. Wouldn't be the most far-fetched idea in the world from her position in that moment. I was more kinda always wondering why they had Koteas play a dual role in the first place since nothing major came from it, but I guess it was partly them just being cute and partly to save money.

No, the real mystery is, at what point exactly did Elias Koteas morph into a dead ringer for Randall Peltzer from "Gremlins". That's been bugging me so much because it's like he didn't age too badly for many years, then aged a lot all at once. Chilling.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
frank_one
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I was more kinda always wondering why they had Koteas play a dual role in the first place since nothing major came from it
I've always thought that was a weird choice. I mean, he was a great actor, but there was no need to have him in TWO roles. Maybe they thought his main role as Casey Jones was too small and far from the real action of the movie, so they gave him an other random role. Weird.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I always just figured she thought for a second that Casey ended up in the past too, but may have coincidentally come across one of his direct ancestors instead. (Though there wasn't a whole lot of point in it.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-22-2020 at 09:54 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
Musashi
Thug

I suspect Casey and Whit might have been totally separate characters in the first draft, and maybe someone suggested Casey's involvement was too small, and a bit of an insult to an actor who had been so pivotal to the first movie. It is a bit strange that after the intial brief surprise from April over his apearance, she totally accepts it without question, and the Turtles don't even mention it(!)

Might have been interesting to see the two Koteas's face each other at the end, although I suspect the logistics would have been difficult since he probably shaved off the beard to do all the Casey stuff at the end of the shoot. Admittedly, that's not what the movie was about. What was it about...? Eeeerrrmmm...
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
Galactus
Mad Scientist

Raph does allude to Whit's resemblance to Casey. When they are walking to the village before they see it under attack. Raph says something like "you have a brother in New York? Nah"
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #15
Musashi
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Raph does allude to Whit's resemblance to Casey. When they are walking to the village before they see it under attack. Raph says something like "you have a brother in New York? Nah"
I have watched this movie more times than I probably should have, and I didn't even notice that line. I still think they should have made more of it than that, though.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, like it totally didn't bother me that they had Koteas play two roles, but other than very loosely imply that Whit may have been Casey's ancestor - and the only real evidence to that being the resemblance - it didn't lead to anything at all, plot-wise, so it felt kinda weirdly tacked-on.

Also, Whit is important to the plot and Casey mostly is not, so... yeah, again, just very odd choices for using Elias Koteas in that film. I was thrilled to have him back, though, just because I dig him so much.

Anybody see him in "Some Kind of Wonderful"? I love him in that. Like I can see his character in that movie being like "Casey Jones as a high school student", completely.

"Did you guys know Bryce lived in a hen house? It must be a hen house, because all I see is chicken sh*t..." That's such a great movie.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #17
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I know III isn't as good as the original, but it's comfy and nostalgic in a way that SOTO is not.

Every time I hear "Tarzan Boy" playing in a supermarket, I think of this movie and it makes me smile. I think if I heard the Vanilla Ice Ninja Rap instead I'd probably just cringe a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #18
Galactus
Mad Scientist

The fact that Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap has surpassed the vastly superior Partners in Kryme Turtle Power in the public consciousness is musical injustice.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The fact that Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap has surpassed the vastly superior Partners in Kryme Turtle Power in the public consciousness is musical injustice.
Turtle Power is an absolute classic. I can't get through Ninja Rap at all
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #20
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
I mean, Elias Koteas with or without a beard is still pretty recognizable as himself. Although maybe it's just because I've seen him in a bunch of stuff.

I'unno, I figured maybe she assumed Casey also got zapped back in time, and in the interim grew a beard, since aside from that they're identical. Wouldn't be the most far-fetched idea in the world from her position in that moment. I was more kinda always wondering why they had Koteas play a dual role in the first place since nothing major came from it, but I guess it was partly them just being cute and partly to save money.

No, the real mystery is, at what point exactly did Elias Koteas morph into a dead ringer for Randall Peltzer from "Gremlins". That's been bugging me so much because it's like he didn't age too badly for many years, then aged a lot all at once. Chilling.
You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s Elias?
I need to get my eyes checked. Well, that makes the scenario even stranger from the story perspective. I wonder if it’s from a dropped plot point.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote