The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #41
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I like their looks varying a little, but not as far as originating from separate species. It makes for interesting fan art, but I prefer it stay there.

Common red eared sliders via pet store works well enough. They're an easily gotten species (who the heck is going to sell a child a snapper at a pet store?), unassuming and not taking the focus off of the rest of what and who they are that matters.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #42
sleeplessknight
Thug

The Turtles are weak the same way Batman is weak for being a normal human being without any powers.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:34 AM   #43
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Tipped over? The Turtles aren't tortoises and tortoises aren't turtles.

To the point, it's easiest to think of the baddest ass Japanese ninja killer assasins you can think of or imagine. Now imagine they have shells that protect their entire backs and plastron that protects their entire torso and midsection. And also imagine they don't super care about humanity. Also, they're pretty short and wiry.

That's the TMNT to me. Anything else is fluff.
Turtles still have the same issue with being on their backs that tortoises do. Either can end up dying of dehydration if upturned, in fact, male turtles fighting over females or territory will often attempt to turn each other over as a show of strength and dominance. Also, turtles can be stronger and more agile than one might think. Some turtles kept in outdoor enclosures have even been known to climb over fences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Turtles should not be strong.

Most Japanese ninja and samurai were frail and small (like most Asians) and wore armor to protect them or the shade of darkness. The Turtles do not need bulging muscles like 4 Hulk's or super power abilities.

They are like most Asians warriors where they use cunning and skill to overthrow their opponents rather than brute force.
Cubed, as someone who has been learning about Japanese history and culture, your entire comment is just- dumb. While Asian builds are generally a bit more wiry and shorter, they are hardly lacking in muscle or strength. Just watch any movie with Bruce Lee, or Chou Yun Fat. Or Jet Li. Those guys are hardly weaklings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
It is more about embracing the "otherness" of the turtles instead of copy/pasting humanoid features on animals. There are some turtle species that are absolutely beautiful that would translate better to a more artful experience. I would imagine that each turtle would resemble a different turtle species like:
  • Raphael as a common snapping turtle
  • Leonardo as a diamondback turtle
  • Michaelangelo as an eastern box turtle
  • Donatello as a northern map turtle

As for "monster-like" I mean embracing the animal side. Turtles have long sharp claws because it helps them to tear their prey into bite-size chunks and to dig. In addition to claws, I assume Raphael as a snapping turtle would have dragon-like scales and sharp spikes as snappers look like dinosaur dragon hybrids (basically like RotTMNT). Turtles also have a nictitating membrane which helps to shield their eyes from the elements and I assume that is what gives their "white eyes" (basically what Leatherhead is shown to have but also given to the turtles). As for the face, I guess it would be best to remain true to a cross between the 1987, 1990 look with a few facial features that resemble their chosen turtle species like a few scales or stripe-like beauty marks. All the while keeping in mind that the overall design has to be aesthetically appealing of course (got to keep it commercially viable lmao).

My brother is an artist, I can probably get him to draw a concept of what I mean but it would probably take awhile. I can draw a concept too but it would probably not look as good lol.

Turtle claws are generally NOT used for ripping prey, they are mostly used either for digging in terrestrial species, or for mating displays and burrowing in mud. Turtles don't use claws to hunt or kill, as their claws are not designed for that. They are generally too small and too weak to use for killing or tearing food. Also, most turtles are omnivores, but live primarily on vegetable matter, with some small prey that can be easily swallowed whole or torn by their beaks. And a snapping turtle is a "hunter" in the same way a funnel-web spider is. Their means of hunting generally involves lying in mud or under debris at the bottom of a pond or river with their mouth open, waiting for prey to literally swim right in and get chomped. They will also dart after some prey under water, but usually prefer to just lay still and pretend to be a rock or piece of a log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
There are many reptile stores and breeders who sell more than red-eared sliders. Personally, the whole new concept of different species brought by RotTMNT has made the regular designs look very bland in comparison. I feel like Rise tapping into the concept of different species actually tapped into something very special that has immense potential for some beautiful art and art that truly resembles the character inside and out.

Slash is an alligator snapping turtle. I think it would be a nice concept if Raph was a common snapping turtle because it can lead to some similarities and conflict between the two characters. Common snapping turtles are known for their aggression (much like Raph) but an alligator snapper is known for their monstrous bite (much like Slash). In a sense their species also reflect their personalities while at the same time giving them a unique silhouette.

In fact some people already view Raph as a snapping turtle as there is a giant alligator snapping turtle, from a swamp in Texas, nicknamed after Raphael. Even from my own life there are times before RotTMNT when I see a snapping turtle and for some reason I automatically think "its just like Raph!". Raphael as a snapping turtle is a concept full of potential while at the same time his character remains recognizable.

Edit: I think a mutated snapping turtle is a much better idea as I am not fond of the whole green hobbit look lol. A snapper would be much more capable of stronger feats as well since they are hunters and if they received a mutagen boost then it would just make them a better hunter.

Yeah, no pet shop is going to sell snappers, as they are highly aggressive and dangerous to handle. Also, see above for their style of "hunting", which is basically sitting at the bottom of a pond and chomping any fish, frog, or whatever that swims or crawls too close to their open mouth. They are big and mean, but also fairly lazy as "hunters" go.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #44
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Odf course they are! They are weak and cowards! That why i beat them so easy!!
Old 02-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #45
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessknight View Post
The Turtles are weak the same way Batman is weak for being a normal human being without any powers.
I mean if Bruce never trained, he'd be weak too.

I'm just saying it seems every other mutant except the turtles seems to auto-mutate into some ready for battle form while the Turtles had to train 15 years to fight.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #46
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm just saying it seems every other mutant except the turtles seems to auto-mutate into some ready for battle form while the Turtles had to train 15 years to fight.
That is a rather interesting point.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #47
DragonSoul
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Turtle claws are generally NOT used for ripping prey, they are mostly used either for digging in terrestrial species, or for mating displays and burrowing in mud. Turtles don't use claws to hunt or kill, as their claws are not designed for that. They are generally too small and too weak to use for killing or tearing food. Also, most turtles are omnivores, but live primarily on vegetable matter, with some small prey that can be easily swallowed whole or torn by their beaks. And a snapping turtle is a "hunter" in the same way a funnel-web spider is. Their means of hunting generally involves lying in mud or under debris at the bottom of a pond or river with their mouth open, waiting for prey to literally swim right in and get chomped. They will also dart after some prey under water, but usually prefer to just lay still and pretend to be a rock or piece of a log.
I would have to disagree with your knowledge about common snapping turtles. It seems from what you are describing you are confusing a common snapping turtle with an alligator snapping turtle which are two different species with two different methods of hunting prey. The common snapping turtles are omnivores who are also opportunistic hunters and will scavenge easy meals without quarrel. In the wild their hunting strategy is rarely seen but it is mentioned that they are ambush predators who will actively chase their prey then utilize their sharp claws to dismember its prey into chunks for them to swallow whole.

On the evolutionary side, I know common snapping turtles evolved large claws to help them burrow but to say they don't utilize them for their everyday life is absurd. Lets take another example of an animal, bears evolved large claws to help them burrow as well but we all know that bears can and will use their claws when attacking prey. If you have searched YouTube videos of live feedings you can also see that snappers can and will use their claws to attack their prey. If common snapping turtles mutated to evolve they would be like armored bears lol.

As for the sedentary lifestyle of common snappers it is quite evident in the natural world that most if not all reptiles live a sedentary lifestyle. All reptiles are kinda boring as most of the time they are either in hibernation or in a stasis mode until food arrives. Perhaps it is a survival tactic. But playing around with the mutation side could make them a lot more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah, no pet shop is going to sell snappers, as they are highly aggressive and dangerous to handle. Also, see above for their style of "hunting", which is basically sitting at the bottom of a pond and chomping any fish, frog, or whatever that swims or crawls too close to their open mouth. They are big and mean, but also fairly lazy as "hunters" go.
Common snapping turtles have been pets for a long time and were introduced to many non-native areas because they were pets beforehand. Even on YouTube and other social media sites there are people selling and keeping common snapping turtles as pets.

Getting back on topic,

Raphael is already a common snapping turtle as seen in RotTMNT. The whole different turtle species is just more alluring. One can even infer that a pet store would never sell 4 male turtles to a child. Neither would a highly biohazardous material like the ooze canister fall out of a moving truck. It is even taught, from training manuals, that all biohazardous material must be contained in a shipment box that can absorb impacts to avoid contamination and if it were to occur than a quarantine site would surely follow. In a way RotTMNT makes somewhat sense in the origin department I guess (not really though but its close).

Finally for what I mean about more beast-like turtles. I just mean an artistic flair that will enhance the natural beauty of these creatures. Kind of like the paint design seen in this video

https://youtu.be/zvbOZUwR3xs

Again I still have to reiterate that the TMNT franchise should consider embracing the "otherness" of the turtles in a way that appreciates their natural beauty and acknowledges their specialized, mutated morphology. It is quite evident that as it stands currently the abilities of the mutants are downplayed and often ignored in terms of story exploration.

---
Links Below

Wikipedia (lame source I know but turtles are rarely researched). Look under Ecology and Life History. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle

A Science Direct article shows the burrowing adaptation for turtles
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6098221630478X

As for the YouTube videos just search it on the googles.

Last edited by DragonSoul; 02-19-2021 at 11:15 PM.
DragonSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:17 AM   #48
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I think that the Turtles are represented as the underdogs in a way - a mutated species that many people would think that they couldn't a** kick their way through a fight, and yet they do just that. Their weapons are a secondary option to attack or self defend.

Therefore, I would think that the only reason that the Turtles would even deal with a stronger opponent (or a group of them), would be to test themselves, or to save lives ..even if it was their own. Sometimes they relied on their training, on themselves, or on each other as a team. At other times, it was dumb luck that saved their shells. And, they have gotten their shells handed to them. (Donnie even got his shell broken in an IDW issue.)

However, that was what made them appealing as well because they attempted to overcome the odds that were often stacked against them.

Last edited by DarkFell; 02-20-2021 at 07:33 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #49
Rabbit Kraken Zeo
Random Punk

I've always felt like they'd be weak against a much more powerful foe whereas a typical day in the city---they'd handle the majority with ease. Bebop and Rocksteady are a tandem they know too well and can easily defeat but other worlds of enemies may seem much tougher to defeat so they'd be much weaker and have to form a plan of strategy to take them down in other ways.

You seem like a noble leader. Will you join me on my quest to Nidavellir?

Ah, let me just ask the captain. Oh, wait a second, it's me! Yeah. I'll go.
Rabbit Kraken Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #50
DVSleeSmooth
Mouser

I never really got that either tbh. Like I was gonna give the Turtles the benefit of the doubt and say they mutated when they were still babies ig Bebop and Rocksteady were already grown men(Rat) Splinter was probably decades old when he Mutated (Human too but we know that). Also Mutation is kinda random when it comes to size because Baxter got turned into a Fly. I mean he was kinda scrawny to begin with so physical prowess might have a factor im not sure.

Also Ik in the 80s show Rocksteadys and Slashes proportions arent as big as the 2012 show so yeah. But on the topic of Slash hes a Snapping turtle so i see why hes that big same species Raph has in Rise so that makes alot of sense.

As for if I actually want the Turtles to be super big nah. I think the Bay/PD turtles seemed to hard to try to be cool edgy and realistic when in reality they couldve just pulled the 90s turtles but with CGI. While im fine with super short turtles I [refer them to be human ish height and moderately buff
DVSleeSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote