The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Do you think that Nickelodeon should continue to own/produce TMNT shows?

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Personally, I don't think they should. I don't really trust Nickelodeon to give the TMNT franchise proper justice and respect, especially with what's happened recently.

Additionally, it seems that Nickelodeon is clearly not interested in developing the franchise. They seem to toss aside any good thing the series had/has up to this point, all with plain indifference and blatant disrespect.

It's a shame that it had to come to this.

Discuss your own thoughts, opinions, and concerns below.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 09-09-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since they already are making another new cartoon, there's no reason to ask this.

I don't want any other company to make TMNT cartoons either, given most of the current Disney action Marvel cartoons are terrible, WB had their chance at making a TMNT cartoon back in 2001 and passed on it (you can see the old designs for the proposed show), and there really isn't anyone else nowadays.

I'm not sure what people are proposing here, what company do they want to make a TMNT show for kids?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Unfortunately, all future TMNT shows in the forseeable future will be produced by Nickelodeon. They could in theory let another studio handle it, that's the closest you could get as of now.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Nickelodeon should've NEVER been allowed to own the TMNT property.

Alas, they got a hold of it, and now we're going to get pissed on ad infinitum.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nick was the best thing to happen to TMNT. Otherwise the franchise would be non-existent since 2010.

No new TMNT material at all for the last 7 years and counting would be absurd. Both Mirage and the 2k3 series was over, we'd have nothing else since.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I've got nothing against Nick. I think they do want to do well with it, but a lot of shows are affected by the current trends in cartoons and 'kid' entertainment unfortunately. And the nitwits who get to make the decisions probably can't see past it being just a "kid's show." *sigh*

If nothing else, I wish it would just be a Viacom property in general and be able to branch out past Nick and be open for different styles (preferably older) of TMNT series on other channels they own. No reason that isn't possible in the future.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

No, Nick should not produce more shows. and Viacom has proven they don't deserve to own it unless they can get their act together.

Last edited by Sabacooza; 09-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

I trust Nick more than I would most of their competition. So, yeah, sure. I'd prefer Paramount to keep away, if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Nickelodeon should've NEVER been allowed to own the TMNT property.

Alas, they got a hold of it, and now we're going to get pissed on ad infinitum.
You've made it clear the only version of TMNT you ever even liked in the first place was the Nick series, which you now claim to be completely disinterested in. So I don't see what makes you give a damn one way or another.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Yes, Nick does deserve to own it. The 2012 series was really popular in the beginning, and brought a whole new generation of TMNT fans. And while the 2012 show was nowhere near as dark and gritty as mirage, probably stands as the darkest version of the series to date. The decision to license the comic to IDW was a stroke of genius, and has given us what will become the longest running tmnt comic in the franchise's history. Yes, the Micheal Bay film sucked, and the toys and video games are in the middle, I think Nickelodeon has done an overall decent job.

One other factor is if TMNT had been sold to one of the big two comic companies, the turtles would have gotten lost in a sea of other characters, and probably end up as guest or supporting characters in some superhero book. But the biggest reason they deserve to have them, is that is who Peter Laird decided to sell them to, and Kevin Eastman is working with them on new turtles projects. Both of them had involvement in putting TMNT where it is now, so it's not like Nick 'stole' the turtles or anything.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Sure, they should. I think the current series has done very well and even though it's ending, the people who ran it did a pretty good job with it overall. Not sure how this other show will be, but I'll give it a chance just as I did with the current one. I was leery about it because I was never big on anything on Nickelodeon, but this show changed my mind and I fell in love with it. Like it or not, Nick owns them and if you don't want to watch the new show or watch the current show anymore then find something else to watch.

Whining and complaining about it is pointless now because Nick will own the franchise until they decide to sell it. Suck it up and get over it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

If course Nickelodeon should continue producing more tmnt and own it, they are the ones that bought it.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm not happy with how Nick are treating the current show recently but I love the current show.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #13
DWC
Banned

I enjoy the Nick show but I'd love to see an adult Mirage adaptation on Netflix ala the Marvel shows.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick was the best thing to happen to TMNT. Otherwise the franchise would be non-existent since 2010.

No new TMNT material at all for the last 7 years and counting would be absurd. Both Mirage and the 2k3 series was over, we'd have nothing else since.
Not true. There was a film in development before the sale.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Not true. There was a film in development before the sale.
Well besides that, and they were still having script/development problems.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #16
snake
Disgusting

Yeah, nah. Nick literally saved the franchise and gave Peter Laird a nice fat stack of cash. Poor guy deserved it.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I trust Nick more than I would most of their competition.
Agreed. WB passed on TMNT already, and a Disney show would be just as bad as their current crop of Marvel cartoons.

Besides that what other companies are there? Mirage had to partner with Fred Wolf and 4kids the first two times, but there's no real companies like that anymore to partner with for a new series.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You've made it clear the only version of TMNT you ever even liked in the first place was the Nick series, which you now claim to be completely disinterested in. So I don't see what makes you give a damn one way or another.
You're absolutely correct.

However, that doesn't mean that I'm not concerned with the state of the TMNT franchise (in terms of programming). That doesn't mean I don't care about the fans who have stuck with Nick TMNT through thick and thin, at least until the bitter end.

What Nickelodeon is now doing with the TMNT property (as of this moment) is honestly disgusting, not to mention completely frustrating. I can understand why they're discontinuing the movies, and I can understand why they're advertising TMNT 2k12 less often. What I can't get behind is why, even after the fans have been loyal to them, are they moving Nick TMNT to their graveyard channel (Nicktoons)? Why are they advertising the final episodes of Nick TMNT with a car race? Don't they care about the show's fans?

If Nick is currently treating their latest TMNT show in this manner, then it makes me worried of how they will treat TMNT 2k18. Will they treat it in the same manner?

I think that's why I care so much, Powder.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 09-10-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #19
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Personally, I don't think they should. I don't really trust Nickelodeon to give the TMNT franchise proper justice and respect, especially with what's happened recently.

Additionally, it seems that Nickelodeon is clearly not interested in developing the franchise. They seem to toss aside any good thing the series had/has up to this point, all with plain indifference and blatant disrespect.

It's a shame that it had to come to this.

Discuss your own thoughts, opinions, and concerns below.
I am curious have you seen the Nick Series cartoon????? At first I didn't like it, but I decide to give it a chance and I have to hand it to Nick. This cartoon exceeded my expectation and was a lot better than I thought it would be. I still am not the biggest fan of the animation and certain choices, but season 4 of the show is amazing. The story telling is really top notch for that season and they pay a lot of homage to previous incarnations of TMNT.

I am glad Nick bought TMNT. We have gotten a 2 new cartoons now, like 5 new comic lines now lol, and 2 movies (Even if they were horrible)
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
Hardshell
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
SWB had their chance at making a TMNT cartoon back in 2001 and passed on it (you can see the old designs for the proposed show)
Do you have a link for this?
Hardshell is offline   Reply With Quote