The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

It always bothered me that the Turtles didn't have cockney accents. Let's just add that in as well...
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #22
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
It always bothered me that the Turtles didn't have cockney accents. Let's just add that in as well...
i'd prefer they all talk like the actors who've portrayed James Bond.

which Turtle gets Sean Connery?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #23
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The Sexiest one, of course.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The Sexiest one, of course.
HA! what was i thinking??
Old 09-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
haven't seen the movie in a while.

during the end fight Leonardo lunges at Shredder with both katanas straight out.
Shredder side-steps him and whacks him over the back.

i'd cut that right out!
I've hated that part ever since I was a little kid. Not only was it totally foolish on Leo's part, but Shredder had him dead to rights for an easy killing blow, but he just kicked him to the side.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #26
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've hated that part ever since I was a little kid. Not only was it totally foolish on Leo's part, but Shredder had him dead to rights for an easy killing blow, but he just kicked him to the side.
that part makes me cringe every time!
when they were choreographing that fight, who thought that would've been a good idea?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
wonder if it's be possible to edit Danny out of the movie?
Hmm... it would be possible, though it might introduce some logic issues in the plot. It would probably cut the running time in half, too.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #28
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hmm... it would be possible, though it might introduce some logic issues in the plot. It would probably cut the running time in half, too.
yeah, guess it might just be easier to add a CG Danny to fall into the trash compactor right after Shredder.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

It'd be great to have a remastered 4K/Blu-ray release with an original and director's cut version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #30
Chris
Mad Scientist

The main thing I'd like would be a proper directors cut with the deleted/extended scenes added back in.

Other than that just a few CGI touch ups I guess. Blinks, tighten the lip sync, nothing that major really. Whilst I'd love to extend the final battle it would have to be all CGI, probably new voice actors trying to mimic the originals (just for grunts and groans but still required), new/extended score for the sequence. That just seems more of a major change and I think I'd prefer to leave the movie as originally envisioned.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #31
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Have you ever heard the term "catalog title?" It's typically home video releases that aren't considered priorities due to no longer being in the limelight and therefore don't usually get the best of releases. This includes movies that were once considered blockbusters.

TMNT '90 is what would be considered a catalog title these days. If I had to guess, if this film got another Blu Ray release (that wasn't simply a repackaging), it would be done through the Warner Archives Collection. They seem to be busting out more titles now, including Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and a new release for Superman: The Movie. However, they don't seem to do a whole lot with special features.

The best chance for special features is if these films were licensed to Shout Factory. However, Warner doesn't seem to license their films to anybody.

Even so, it wouldn't have CG. That's too costly for a release such as this, which is for the best in my opinion.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 09-19-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #32
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
... it would be done through the Warner Archives Collection. They seem to be busting out more titles now, including Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and a new release for Superman: The Movie. However, they don't seem to do a whole lot with special features.
Funny enough, Warner Archives just announced the three-hour cut of Superman! Even if WB wanted to, I'm not sure if they would have access to the negatives to do a complete restoration on the unused material. I'm guessing the original film elements are in Hong Kong, with whatever company acquired Golden Harvest.

The 'Burbs had a FANTASTIC release by a UK distributor a few years ago, which included a workprint sourced from a VHS tape. A similar release would probably be the most realistic way for the Barron/Menke edit to ever see the light of day.

Quote:
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Theatrical cut, newly-restored from the original film elements
Original uncompressed 2.0 Stereo PCM Audio
Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
New audio commentary with writer Dana Olsen, moderated by author Calum Waddell
There Goes the Neighbourhood: The Making of The ’Burbs – A new feature-length documentary including interviews with Dante, actors Corey Feldman, Courtney Gains and Wendy Schaal, director of photography Robert M. Stevens and production designer James H. Spencer
The original Workprint cut of the film transferred from Director Joe Dante’s personal copy, on home video for the very first time – includes deleted and alternate scenes!
A Tale of Two ‘Burbs – Video featurette comparing the differences between the Workprint and Theatrical cuts of the film, with optional audio commentary from Dante
Alternate ending, presented in HD for the very first time
Original Theatrical Trailer in HD
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/the-burbs/
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #33
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

If the elements are at Golden Harvest then the chances of them surfacing may not be great. I keep hearing stuff like that in relation to Jackie Chan movies. Apparently he used to overshoot his movies like crazy, and so there are probably cans and cans of outtakes in Golden Harvest’s vault, but for “financial and political reasons” nobody is allowed to look for them.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #34
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Even so, it wouldn't have CG. That's too costly for a release such as this, which is for the best in my opinion.
plus that's more George Lucas territory. only he could have gotten away with that sort of stunt and still had it sell.

heck! i'd imagine they could re-release the original Star Wars trilogy adding CG funny-nose and glasses on all the characters and it'd probably sell.

let's just hope Disney doesn't get any bright ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
for “financial and political reasons” nobody is allowed to look for them.
YIKES!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #35
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
wonder if it's be possible to edit Danny out of the movie?
Entirely? Nope. Too many plot holes (why would Casey wake up and go to the Foot HQ, for example)

You could cut out most of his scenes, though it'd be at the expense of learning Shredder's origin when he talks to Shredder.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
plus that's more George Lucas territory. only he could have gotten away with that sort of stunt and still had it sell.

heck! i'd imagine they could re-release the original Star Wars trilogy adding CG funny-nose and glasses on all the characters and it'd probably sell.

let's just hope Disney doesn't get any bright ideas.
It usually ends doing more worse than good. The new elements stand out like a pink elephant against a black wall. This is particularly true to what has been done to Star Wars multiple times from 1997 to 2011.

The only example I can think of that was actually pretty good was Blade Runner: The Final Cut, where it was used in moderation to make a few minor changes, like changing the sky in one scene and replacing a stunt double's face. The success of that cut wasn't the new F/X, but the improved pacing and restoration in general.

The only other decent example is a few new elements that were added to The Phantom Menace, and that's grabbing for straws. The changes didn't improve the movie, they just didn't make it any worse. And the only reason they fit is because the movie already uses CG.

Phantasm has a small amount of CG added, mostly replacing the flying silver sphere. But even that was weird.

I think if any CG were to utilized on the film, it should be to fix minor goofs, like I believe there's a shot where you can see the actor's face through Donatello's mouth.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #37
pferreira
Foot Elite

Wouldn't feel the need to change anything but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
It'd be great to have a remastered 4K/Blu-ray release with an original and director's cut version.
This I wouldn't mind.

Quote:
The only example I can think of that was actually pretty good was Blade Runner: The Final Cut, where it was used in moderation to make a few minor changes, like changing the sky in one scene and replacing a stunt double's face. The success of that cut wasn't the new F/X, but the improved pacing and restoration in general.
I really don't like the Final Cut. I don't like the colour grading and the end credits music is messed up. Director's Cut all the way.

Quote:
Funny enough, Warner Archives just announced the three-hour cut of Superman!
It's the 80s TV edit although maybe slightly longer. I have a copy of that, just downloaded it from a Superman fansite that they put together.

Quote:
The 'Burbs had a FANTASTIC release by a UK distributor a few years ago, which included a workprint sourced from a VHS tape.
Yep, rented Arrow's release out from LoveFilm. Not missing much, the theatrical cut is better in terms of pacing and what happens, the ending is better.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I wouldn't need to make a special edition, I think the 1990 film is special how it its
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #39
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I wouldn't EDIT the actual film in any way except to maybe add the supposed deleted scenes with Mikey in the barn etc and to darken or erase those areas where the turtle actor's faces are visible. I would add the nonexistent 2 hour documentary on the making of the film that needs to happen, the Steve Barron commentary on the German release and probably just a trailer and actor bios. Maybe include a few key issues of Mirage on a second disc that directly inspired or made it into the film.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #40
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Wouldn't feel the need to change anything but...
Not missing much, the theatrical cut is better in terms of pacing and what happens, the ending is better.
That's generally true of most workprints/assembly cuts. They're rough, unrefined, and more importantly, unfinished. If you're a cinephile and are interested in editing, they can be fun and interesting. A workprint for Beetlejuice floated around a few years and it had a few different scenes, including an alternate scene that was eventually replaced with the sandworm's introduction, which strangely appeared later in the cut, when the characters are hanging out the window.